• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

love and other nightmares

diamondpearl876

LOVE AND OTHER NIGHTMARES

chapter nine
a heavy dose of atmosphere

*​

Floaroma Town certainly lives up to its name, though the view surprises me. I may be remembering wrong, but history classes had taught me that Floaroma used to be an infertile, uninhabited land full of bleak hills. Trainers, who had hoped to see the sights when passing by, were shocked and, undeterred by disappointment, began planting flowers. Nothing came of this, but the trainers didn't give up. After a while, a tradition of sorts was set in place. Those with rock-, grass- and water-type pokémon came by, the idea being that a creature possessing the forces of nature would be able to help the land prosper. To them it made sense. If researchers had declared all fossils embedded into the earth to be immortal, the bulbasaur line to be the controllers of sunlight, and starmie to be alien creatures capable of unpredictable powers... then anything was possible.

A legendary pokémon named Shaymin saw from above what the trainers were doing and decided to reward them for their gratitude and perseverance. The hill flourished suddenly, and in a day Floaroma had enough sustenance to maintain all forms of life. Amazed, the blessed trainers who wanted to contribute to the land's growth decided to retire and build a community for themselves and their pokémon. More time passed, and so came everyone's happy ending.

Of course, Shaymin's existence is mere speculation, as is the story as a whole. That's not the mysterious part for me, however. Why anyone would put forth so much effort into a grief-stricken wasteland is, I suppose, what I'm trying to figure out.

Kephi and Virokoe would feel a sort of euphoria they could find just about anywhere, if only they had been looking...

Right. We're in Floaroma to start over. To heal, and to train. Temporarily avoiding Kyurem's ice storm threats is an added bonus.

The soft but strong scent of flowers brings me back to reality. Floaroma, which is more a field than it is a town, radiates passion and cheerfulness, and for a moment I wish I was attuned to nature myself. I bend down and scrape the tip of my fingers across a pink chrysanthemum, afraid to hold it and accidentally crush it. The petals are wet with the fall morning's dew, and the damp feeling makes me shiver. Beside me Kephi scuttles over the flowers without a care, and Virokoe sits on a group of them like it's a chair. When Kephi passes by and when Virokoe moves out of the way, the flower stems are bent, but are still able to provide support to the petals. In the sunlight the colorful assortments glow, steadfast and spirited.

Kephi comes closer and hovers over me, his shadow making the flower I'm touching blush a deeper shade of pink.

“Looks like it's time to cause some trouble here,” he says, motioning toward the town with his antennae. In the direction he's pointing I can see a courier delivering flowers, as if Floaroma didn't have enough already. The scene reminds me of being at home in Sandgem, where there's always an excess of something (expectations, ambitions, trust...) that you have no real use for.

“Define trouble,” I say to Kephi.

“A rude awakening.”

“Sounds like the life of a trainer with a poison-type starter.”

Virokoe's eyes widen as he bounces over to us, saying, “That's not funny! You know when your body jerks itself awake as it's trying to fall asleep? It happened to me three times last night.”

“That kind of thing happens when your heart rate drops too fast,” Kephi says with an expertise I don't anticipate. “Better watch out.”

Virokoe stares at him, then a grin plays at his lips. “It won't happen while we're training.”

“I guess.”

Training requires exertion, which for Kephi requires an immense amount of determination and for Virokoe, agility. What one excels in, the other one lacks. At any rate, we're stuck here until Gregory shows his face, but I'm confident he won't keep us waiting too long. For now it's time to head to the Pokémon Center to guarantee a place to sleep for the night, and maybe to take a nice bath. Standing up, the air around us is warm. I look down at my pokémon, and I want to ask if something's off, or if something feels different in a good way, because this is the first time I've seen them get along for an entire conversation.

Gregory Holster is, if nothing else, a man of his word. Inside the Pokémon Center he's standing by the counter, talking to the Nurse Joy on duty. He's wearing a casual business outfit consisting of khakis and a striped, collared red shirt, and he's holding a backpack filled to the brim with whatever occupational therapists bring when on the road. His face gleams with confidence, and when he sees me, he smiles, which only adds to his exuberant demeanor. He has the appearance of a man who's ready to embark on some adventure, one in which he presumes to come out of alive, when that might not necessarily happen.

I walk up to him and tap him on the shoulder. “Don't tell me you've been waiting here since I called you,” I say as a greeting, motioning toward the pokémon beside him, which he had used to teleport away from us last time. After getting a better look I can see it's a smeargle, a species capable of copying other pokémon's attacks. Smeargle is native to Johto, while Nate is native to Unova and Spectra is native to Hoenn...

Gregory turns and says simply, “Tracking device.” He shrugs and follows my gaze.

I stare at him now, unperturbed and actually rather comforted that I could be found should anything terrible ever happen. I shake myself out of my reverie and say, “Do you have any idea what you're getting into here?”

“A day of pokémon training, seems like.”

“Oh, how fun,” Nurse Joy chimes in. The only way I can tell her apart from her relatives is through her voice, which is a bit deeper and not as friendly. “Are you...?” she adds, but she trails off.

“This is Annie Willems,” Gregory says, resting a hand on my back. “The one with the venipede.”

“You're telling everyone about me?” I ask, but there's a more important matter at hand. Virokoe's been at my side, purring quietly, but Kephi's not here and I don't see slime anywhere... “Speaking of Kephi, where is he?”

“Over there,” Nurse Joy says, pointing down the hallway, toward the bed and breakfast room. And sure enough, there he is, going back and forth across the marble floor to find a way to reach a sandwich platter.

“Not surprised.”

Nurse Joy folds her hands and pays attention to just me. “My sister from Jubilife City told me about you.”

I'm reminded of the conversation about Kephi's possible surgery, and I try not to cringe at the memory. “...Not surprised,” I say again. With a family like that, there can be no secrets. I think about distracting her by causing a scene about Kephi's slime, but it doesn't seem fair, considering he managed not to be a nuisance for once. Virokoe shrinks back at the mention of Jubilife City as well, and it occurs to me that this nurse might recognize him and accuse me of stealing, which would be fair.

We're interrupted by a pink, plump blissey ambling from the hallway to my left and into the lobby. She's wearing a nurse's hat, and I get the strange image in my head of Nurse Joy having to put that small hat on her head every morning, since the blissey has stubby arms. As if on cue, the blissey bends over slightly to bow to us, and the hat slips off, landing on the floor without noise. Virokoe runs over and picks it up in his mouth, extending it upward toward the blissey, who, of course, can't reach far enough to take it.

Gregory whispers to me, “I thought you said Virokoe wasn't very sociable. Seems the opposite to me.”

“I don't get it, either.”

After a moment of confusion, Virokoe gives up on waiting for the blissey and takes the hat to Nurse Joy, who retrieves it with a bland smile but does nothing with it and instead gives the blissey an order in incomprehensible medical jargon. The blissey nods and flees back toward the hallway.

“Happiny used to come by the school to cheer up the kids when they were stressed during exams. Darn baby pokémon stole my spotlight a lot,” Virokoe explains, and the explanation elicits a purr that's more like a slight growl.

“Virokoe, you...” I tell him, having to hold myself back, torn between fixing my pokémon's lack of tact versus revealing to Gregory about how I can understand pokémon speech.

“Doesn't miss Jubilife City, does he?” Nurse Joy asks.

“Not at all,” I say, rubbing the back of my head nervously. There's an awkward moment of silence, then I add with a sigh of defeat, “Aren't you going to call the police or something?”

“Why would I?”

“When a famous TV star goes missing and is finally found, oh, a month and half later or however long it's been, you should probably get excited and claim the reward.” I glance over at Kephi after speaking those last words, wondering still what goes through that critter's mind when it comes to his various problems.

“But he went with you willingly. You're not keeping him confined in a pokéball for too long, and you're not keeping him from being healed when it's needed.”

And that's all true enough. I can't deny any of it, not after Virokoe's latest conversations with me. “I just asked because...” I say, trailing off again and realizing there's nothing to hide from this Nurse Joy. Anxiety wells up in my chest whenever I see the family, especially now that I know how fast the gossip spreads. “Well, you're a mandated reporter and all that.”

“So I am,” she replies, her smile fading slightly. If there's some kind of secret she's hiding, I know I'll never figure it out. “But he seems happy enough,” she says, bending down to pet him on the head, in between the ears as Gregory does. Virokoe's tail raises in contentment, and his growl turns into a genuine purr.

“We passed through Jubilife a couple days ago and he didn't run away, so I guess that says something...” I say, running my mouth as usual.

“Nothing happened?” she asks, raising an eyebrow. She places her hands on the counter in front of her and taps to a rhythm.

“No,” I say quickly, “nothing happened. No one saw him, but he didn't hop out of the backpack and leap into the arms of his old life, either.”

“I see...”

Gregory, who's let me ramble on this whole time, checks his watch idly, his mouth parted open a bit as if he wants to say something, but can't. I'm not sure why he hasn't interrupted yet, honestly.

“Anyway,” I say, taking a deep breath and turning to Gregory, “you wanted to show me around Floaroma, didn't you?”

“Hmm. That is true,” he replies, checking his watch again. “We should get going. We'll head to the fields first, then the windworks, and from there...”

I wait for him to continue, but he doesn't. “And from there...?” I say, prompting him with a hand motion.

“The rest will follow.”

“Cryptic,” I say, remembering the conversation between Obieme and Kephi about weird, half-hearted comments. If Obieme were here now, he wouldn't accept Gregory's answer. As it stands, though, I have few other options. Those other options are still available, sure, but they're not favorable to my pokémon for several reasons. And I guess being a pokémon trainer means going along with what they want rather than what I want.

“I know,” Gregory says, giving me a bored smile.

I wave to the Nurse Joy, not daring to look her in the eye, but telling her I'll be back after our session to heal my pokémon. Then I yell for Kephi to follow us, which earns me a glare from Gregory, even though the lobby is nearly empty. When we leave, he asks me how much trouble I'm going to cause for everyone in Sinnoh.

I shrug and say, “Just enough. Besides, it's really only you and the Nurse Joys I'm bothering.”

“And your pokémon.”

I look down at Kephi, who's trying to hide a smirk, and Virokoe, who, fortunately, isn't paying attention. I reach down to pet him in between the antennae and he hisses at me.

“See what I mean?” Gregory says.

“That was a sign of love right there. Didn't you see it?”

But he knows, and I know, that that couldn't be further from the truth.

Gregory leads us to the northern end of Floaroma Town. The flowers have shadows cast over them by the afternoon's darkening sky. A light mist falls, but it doesn't stop us from getting done what needs to be done, least of all Gregory. He motions for a few passers-by to spare a minute so that he can ask what wild pokémon are in the area. The passers-by only go on with lit up faces to describe the amazing field of flowers we're going to, though they think we should wait until the rain passes. The passers-by speak as if the concept of flowers is entirely foreign, and then they move on to put a roof over their heads.

When Gregory finally leaves the passers-by alone, I ask him if he remembers what I told him over the phone about Kephi's disability. Kephi himself responds with a myriad of angry curses, but I tell him it's for the best and he just mutters to himself after that.

“I knew about Kephi having apraxia, but not hypoxia,” he says, stroking his chin thoughtfully.

“What.” It's not even a question. Gregory's turned to his crazy lingo already and we haven't started the real training yet. “A-prax-ee-uh and—”

Gregory interrupts me to say the words again. “Apraxia, hypoxia. Hypoxia is the name of the condition that encompasses a lack of adequate oxygen in the body. This, of course, was caused by the... incident,” he says carefully, glancing at the poison-type, who's practically glaring daggers into the man. I don't think Kephi's truly mad about asking Gregory for help, or at least, he'll forgive me once this is all over.

“Depending on the severity of the oxygen deprivation...” he goes on, “the patient can have lasting side effects. In Kephi's case, apraxia still effects him to this day, it seems.”

“Which is?”

“A cognitive disorder that prevents him from moving properly, to put it simply.”

“And the longer version?”

Gregory sighs. “In short, apraxia is associated with damage to regions of the brain that regulate motor skills. Kephi in particular suffers from ideomotor apraxia, which infringes on his ability to carry out common, familiar actions on command. For example, he can scuttle along just fine, as I saw him do on the walls at Oreburgh Gate. But when you call out a poison-type attack, he may know how the attack is supposed to be executed, but his brain can't process how to turn that image in his head into reality.”

“So that's why telling him to use poison sting has been useless?” I say, lowering my head and my voice, and wondering what this means for the TM attack he learned a few days ago.

“Not just poison sting. It could be any attack.”

“Oh. Right,” I say. He'd also failed at using his rollout attack during the gym battle against Roark. Now I'm even more worried. Isn't Gregory supposed to make things better, not worse?

“When pokémon training first became a sport and the League was created, the League noticed certain trends and strategies used by newer trainers as they worked together to learn the powers of different types and species. Names were given to those simple attacks. As time went on, the strategies became more complicated, and they were named as well for the sake of tradition. Even today people can usually gauge how strong a pokémon is just by knowing what attacks they've practiced. Combining attacks and thinking outside the box is allowed and highly encouraged, but in general, pokémon training and the idea of calling out commands is specifically geared toward movement and procedural memory.”

I sigh, exasperated. “Is procedural memory as simple as it sounds?” I ask.

“Yes. Fine motor skills and procedural memory go hand in hand.”

“So Kephi has the memory capacity to know what I'm talking about, but his body doesn't cooperate,” I say, trying to understand.

“Precisely.”

A thought hits me. “You said you knew about the apraxia,” I say, unable to hide the bitterness in my voice. “Why didn't you say anything?”

“My job is to help you with your stroke recovery and to prevent further mishaps, Miss Willems. ...Annie,” he says, correcting himself. “Your pokémon are your responsibility.”

“Can't all the stress caused by this hurt me?” I say, half-sarcastic and half-serious.

He ignores me and continues, “Now, if a nurse or gym leader had noticed and provided the proper referral needed for me to work with Kephi himself as a patient, that might have been a different story. As it stands, either you neglected to mention this to someone before, or you simply didn't know. With the latter, you have to know that one of the main rules of being a therapist is to work in the patient's best interests. For me to simply make assumptions without a proper assessment and to force you and Kephi into treatment... Well, that would have been wrong.”

“So it all had to start with me.” Of course, and how blunt. How appropriate. “And since Roark and Nurse Joy both know...”

“Yes,” Gregory says. “A functional assessment of Kephi's daily life is essentially more important than the presence of the apraxia itself, so I didn't say anything because of that, either. Everything seemed well for him. But then Roark told me what happened at the gym, and Nurse Joy heard the argument in the Center...”

“Does everyone know about me?” Kephi says, speaking out loud enough for us to hear him.

“Yes,” Gregory says again.

Fuck you, too.”

The rest of the trip is relatively quiet and, thankfully, short. When we get to the field, I'm hit by a heavy dose of atmosphere that triggers all my senses. The rain is light, as before, but now droplets hit like hail, feeling as hard and cold as used bullets. I see a colorful assortment of flowers—which is no surprise—but what bothers me this time is that there are wild, innocent pokémon wandering about, undeserving of whatever havoc Kephi will cause soon enough. There's a sour taste in my mouth, as if I just drank lemon juice, or as if I swallowed Gregory's explanations and accepted them as the truth. I wrap my arms around my body to shield myself from the rain, until I realize it's useless and I should have brought a damn umbrella

Gregory breaks me out of my reverie when he says, “We'll work on your problems first.”

“What,” I say for the second time that day. For a moment I think Gregory's figured out my whole hidden persona and Kyurem's plan, ice storm and all.

“Were you ever told to keep quiet a lot as a child, Annie?”

“No,” I answer immediately. Renee was the quiet one. “I talked too much.”

Gregory looks away, then nods. “I asked because your body looks tense most of the time, and your posture is poor. This could have become the norm during childhood, or it can be brought on by emotional pain felt in the present.”

Mentally, I curse myself. Without realizing it, I had walked into a trap. “What's this got to do with anything?” I ask, defensive, feeling my jaw tighten as I speak.

“It means you're ugly,” Virokoe butts in, unashamed and completely serious.

“Who asked you?” I say, glaring at him, but he ignores me and pounces on a nearby flower, unperturbed as ever.

“Let me be frank, here,” Gregory says, also ignoring Virokoe's quipping. “Tension causes you to slouch, which puts unnecessary pressure on your neck, which, in turn, affects your voice. You lose acoustic opportunities when you speak, and you need good voice resonance for when you make commands.”

“Ah. Back to commanding, I see.”

“It's important, is it not? Also, your chin juts out when you look down at our pokémon or bend down to see them closer. Virokoe said it looks... unfavorable, but in truth, we use that technique unconsciously to hide the fact that most of us have a double chin, which is equally as unfavorable.”

I scowl at him. “And your point?”

He walks over to me, giving me a glance that asks for permission to move closer. I look away but nod, and he straightens my back and positions my neck so that I'm looking down rather than up.

“Free your neck and the rest will follow,” he says, the phrase sounding familiar. “Your head should feel lighter, but not in a dizzy way. This encourages movement rather than making it static and tense. It also allows energy to flow freely through your spinal cord, which ends at the middle of the back of your head, not at the neck like most people might believe.”

If I let go of the emotional pain, the rest will follow...

And, with Gregory standing there, forcing me to feel how I should feel rather than the way I've felt for years, the rest does follow. Virokoe laughs at me again and Kephi calls us lunatics, but when I tell them to shut up once more, I don't recognize the voice that comes out of my mouth, harsh but honest and not at all like the voice of someone trying to hide.

“You might be on to something,” I say to him, somehow bitter, but he just smiles.

After a while, practicing strange-looking, unnatural postures and yelling out random obscenities gets boring, which is unusual for me. Kephi, Virokoe and Gregory are pleased to have a break from hearing my obnoxious voice as well. All goes quiet and the wild budew and roserade that had previously scattered come crawling back through the prickly bushes at the edges of the field. The wild pokémon are wary, but unafraid to confront us to defend their territory if they have to. Kephi stares them down and his antennae perk up every few moments.

“Shall we get started, then?” Gregory asks, noticing Kephi's defensive position.

“You haven't told me what we'll be doing yet at all,” I say, looking at Virokoe. The purrloin's sitting beside me, disinterested and continuing to lie on the flowers like training's no big deal. I know he'll help Kephi if he needs to, and the image of them working together toward a common goal is more appealing than I expect.

“We'll be seeing more of how Kephi's apraxia affects his life on a daily basis, particularly with battling. Then we'll implement at least two intervention strategies for you to focus on when training.”

“On a daily basis, huh? ...How often should we be training, exactly?” I ask him, because so far, all Kephi and Virokoe have done between cities is ward off weak enemies with an attack or two.

“A thorough training session should happen once or twice a week,” Gregory says. “Think of it like scheduling a set of regular therapy sessions,” he adds, nodding his head for emphasis. “The rest of the time is more laid back training, so to speak. Kephi can apply what he's learned to real battles and other daily activities.”

“Such as...?”

“Such as trying to retrieve the plate of food he was trying to reach earlier.”

“Uh, okay.” I don't mention how Kephi's a small bug-type and the table was three times taller than him, but Gregory seems to read my mind as he notes several ways in which Kephi could have gotten the food: using rollout to knock it off the table, climbing up the table's legs... “And then Nurse Joy might have kicked us out before we even rented a room.”

“Does Kephi seem like the type to care about that?”

“...No.”

“All right. So train every week, and make a point of keeping him out of trouble. Just know that after the first few months of recovery, progress unfortunately will most likely come to a standstill.” I wait to see if he's kidding, but he's not. He puts his hands in his pockets and pulls out a normal pokéball. I would expect something extravagant from him. Something foreign. “To counteract this, you should have Kephi practice less powerful attacks. I understand you taught him poison jab, but practice poison sting, too, and whatever else you think is appropriate. When he's injured or simply having a bad day, he will benefit from using an attack with a body part—such as his antennae—that he's accustomed to using more often than, say, the feelers on the lower half of his body.”

“Makes sense,” I mumble, still waiting for him to release the pokéball's contents. It does make sense, though, however little I'm paying attention. Patting Kephi in between his antennae probably makes him feel better about himself than having me point out his flaws all the time.

Finally, Gregory throws the pokéball and out pops another pink blob that would resemble the blissey from earlier if it weren't so... small, and shapeless. Its limbless body bobs up and down excitedly, and its beady eyes glance back and forth between its trainer and its surroundings.

“A ditto,” I deadpan. From Kanto, I don't say. Everyone knows about ditto being a popular pokémon used for breeding purposes or even in circuses or carnival shows. Not everyone knows a ditto's origins, but that's what matters most to me.

“Call her Eureka.”

Gregory's team baffles me for more reasons that one. “Any story behind this name?”

“No, except eureka is what people say when they get something right after practicing for a long time.” Before I can interrupt him about ditto being genderless and about how literally no one says that anymore, he goes on to tell a story that inspired the idea he has for Kephi. “There's some articles out there about the relationship between seviper, zangoose, and their breeding habits. When criminals get hold of seviper, trying to breed special, deadly poisons, the seviper refuse to breed with anyone, including with dittos. The dittos usually transform into zangoose and claw them until they obey, which they eventually do, if only to save their own lives.”

I say nothing, shocked and somehow worried about not only Kephi, but also Virokoe. I have to trust him, though. He's all I've got in terms of human companionship.

Suddenly his smeargle peaks out from behind him, seemingly on cue. “Banshee here,” Gregory says, “and Eureka will copy Kephi's moves and perform them as they're supposed to look, and then Kephi will try to imitate what he sees...”

And with that, training starts.

As Gregory said, Banshee and Eureka take turns using Kephi's poison sting, rollout, and poison jab attacks. The idea is to have Eureka transform and display an attack as a venipede would use it, and having another pokémon that doesn't look like a venipede at all offers Kephi another perspective and encourages generalization. So I watch as Eureka turns into a venipede, albeit an oddly colored one, and I watch as it spits out several pin-like projectiles from her antennae. Banshee uses poison sting as well, though the projectiles are fired from his mouth instead. Then the two of them curl up into a ball and roll around, first in a straight line to build up speed and then in zigzag patterns for direction. The two of them crush the flowers underneath them, much to the wild pokémon's dismay. Kephi laughs, but I don't know why.

When it's his turn, Gregory instructs him carefully. Remember the feeling of poison in your body before you release the attack.. Move yourself forward bit by bit... It's okay to start off slow... But of course, Kephi doesn't heed Gregory's last piece of advice. Like he does when he scuttles along floors or walls of caves, he thinks he can do everything in a matter of moments. He falls over on his back in the middle of a rollout attack and has trouble turning himself upright.

Virokoe runs up to Kephi and rights him, then scolds him, and Kephi scowls. Gregory mumbles something about how Virokoe's presence will be vital to Kephi's recovery. Something about positive punishment, a term used to describe when a reinforcer is added following an undesired behavior, thus decreasing the likelihood of that behavior ever happening again.

I might have been sleeping in class that day, but the concept registers, somewhere in my brain.

Gregory also makes use of partial reinforcement schedules, where Kephi's behavior is sometimes reinforced, but not one hundred percent of the time. For some reason this is supposed to motivate Kephi work harder for those times where he is praised. I suspect that the performances he's not praised for are supposed to be opportunities for self-reflection. At any rate, I do know that partial reinforcement schedules elicit the highest rate of responses, and are most resistant to extinction, otherwise known as the disappearance of progress made in earlier sessions.

Gregory makes the most use of a variable ratio schedule, which means he compliments Kephi or prompts me to compliment Kephi after two correctly-maneuvered attacks. Then he changes that number to five correctly-maneuvered attacks, and the number keeps increasing the better Kephi gets. For once I don't hear Kephi muttering curse words, and if venipede didn't have dull eyes, he might have shown some sign of contentment, even happiness.

Eventually, though... Kephi gets tired, and Kephi gets angry.

“What happens now?” I say warily, seeing my starter start to struggle more. He's toppling over, ramming into wild pokémon on accident—I give him the benefit of the doubt, here—and he's hurting himself mentally and physically more often than not.

“Take out his pokéball,” Gregory says flatly but firmly.

So I do. The friend ball feels heavy in my hand, even though it's empty. If Gregory's solution is to return Kephi to his pokéball and call it a day, neither me nor Kephi are going to be happy.

“You caught Kephi while he was still conscious, yes?”

I nod.

“Then for him, being in a pokéball, especially a friend ball, will be helpful to you when training him.”

I blink. “Yes, locking him away when he's angry is a sure way to raise his self-esteem.”

“No,” Gregory corrects me, not amused. “When a pokémon is conscious and caught inside a pokéball, the pokéball automatically reconstructs itself so that, whenever the pokémon is recalled, they will be able to see an ideal environment, fitting to all their needs. Friend balls are special. Friend balls provide images of the people in the pokémon's life, particularly their trainer and their teammates. This creates an atmosphere of compassion and teamwork that transfers over to real life when the pokémon is released.”

“So if I recall him, let him sit for a while, then release him, he'll be calm?”

“You don't want to leave him in there too long. Or, if he needs to rest longer than normal, press the button on the middle of the pokéball and let it expand. Let it stay that way. When the pokéball is expanded, this creates the sensation within the pokémon inside that they will soon be released, and the view they're envisioning fades away slowly rather than abruptly, making it a smoother transition.”

I recall Kephi and watch as he assumes the perfect form of a sphere. I hold the ball in my hand, and though it's full now, it's still not heavy. The top of the ball, which I had never noticed before, appears translucent, and I can see Kephi inside, his eyes closed and hopefully dreaming something peaceful.

“Don't dwell on this,” Gregory says, seemingly reading my mind again. “If there's no obstacle to overcome, they can't grow.”

“Isn't this some kind of mind manipulation?”

“That's an argument best left to philosophers.”

Gregory takes a black and white board out of his backpack, which has a drawing with thin lines of a child sitting on the beach. He asks Banshee to use the brush on his tail to color the drawing. He asks Banshee to stay inside the lines. Seeing my skepticism, he tells me that Kephi can hear and understand what's going on in the external world, even when in the pokéball.

“Oh, right.” I had almost forgotten. It had caused a lot of trouble for Virokoe that one night, after all... I wonder, too, if Gregory knows about the incident with Kephi messing up the Jubilife school's calligraphy box. I hope that failure won't be replicated here.

With Gregory's approval I release Kephi again, and Kephi's instructed to use his antennae to follow the white lines, just as Banshee had done. The reinforcement here comes in when pressure is applied to the picture and the white portions are replaced with silver glitter, which tells him where he succeeded and where he messed up. Also, according to Gregory, pokémon like shiny things.

“Tell me about it,” Virokoe says, as if Gregory is a close friend of his. He talks more easily with the occupational therapist than with me, anyway.

The whole calligraphy scene goes on for about an hour, until the drawing is complete. Though Kephi had to be recalled over six times and there's poison stains on the board, meaning that it has to be destroyed and thrown out so no one gets hurt, he seems proud enough. He asks what the hell Gregory was thinking, bringing in a picture of something so lame, and Gregory admits the board is meant for kids, but it worked well.

It worked well... didn't it? Kephi's had one thorough training session now. That's probably more than he's gotten in his entire lifetime, given his poor luck with trainers, past and present. With that thought, I realize that I'm not the only one who has to let go, so to speak.

Once that happens, the rest will follow. So Gregory says, but will it really? I don't know. Not yet. I guess I'll have Kephi go through this training thing a couple more times before heading back to Oreburgh. Gregory had mentioned going to the windworks, after all, but it's getting dark now. Too late to do that this week... And Virokoe's attacks need some fine tuning as well... Basically, this isn't over yet. We're still weeks away from the rematch with Roark, and even further away from the end of this journey.

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
So after some stalling and flailing after reading through this chapter, I finally sat down and got around to writing up a review. All in all, I can't say that I noticed any issues beyond one minor style failure, but there were a few parts in this chapter that grabbed my attention a bit.

Virokoe's eyes widen as he bounces over to us, saying, “That's not funny! You know when your body jerks itself awake as it's trying to fall asleep? It happened to me three times last night.”

“That kind of thing happens when your heart rate drops too fast,” Kephi says with an expertise I don't anticipate. “Better watch out.”

Virokoe stares at him, then a grin plays at his lips. “It won't happen while we're training.”

“I guess.”

That read rather ominously given Annie's past, and I can't imagine that this bodes well for the future.

I walk up to him and tap him on the shoulder. “Don't tell me you've been waiting here since I called you,” I say as a greeting, motioning toward the pokémon beside him, which he had used to teleport away from us last time. After getting a better look I can see it's a smeargle, a species capable of copying other pokémon's attacks. Smeargle is native to Johto, while Nate is native to Unova and Spectra is native to Hoenn...

Gregory turns and says simply, “Tracking device.” He shrugs and follows my gaze.

I stare at him now, unperturbed and actually rather comforted that I could be found should anything terrible ever happen. I shake myself out of my reverie and say, “Do you have any idea what you're getting into here?”

I am somewhat bemused that Annie's reaction to finding out that she's been lugging a tracking device along all this time is more or less the polar opposite of what it would be in any other journey fic.

“Doesn't miss Jubilife City, does he?” Nurse Joy asks.

“Not at all,” I say, rubbing the back of my head nervously. There's an awkward moment of silence, then I add with a sigh of defeat, “Aren't you going to call the police or something?”

“Why would I?”

“When a famous TV star goes missing and is finally found, oh, a month and half later or however long it's been, you should probably get excited and claim the reward.” I glance over at Kephi after speaking those last words, wondering still what goes through that critter's mind when it comes to his various problems.

“But he went with you willingly. You're not keeping him confined in a pokéball for too long, and you're not keeping him from being healed when it's needed.”

And that's all true enough. I can't deny any of it, not after Virokoe's latest conversations with me. “I just asked because...” I say, trailing off again and realizing there's nothing to hide from this Nurse Joy. Anxiety wells up in my chest whenever I see the family, especially now that I know how fast the gossip spreads. “Well, you're a mandated reporter and all that.”

“So I am,” she replies, her smile fading slightly. If there's some kind of secret she's hiding, I know I'll never figure it out. “But he seems happy enough,” she says, bending down to pet him on the head, in between the ears as Gregory does. Virokoe's tail raises in contentment, and his growl turns into a genuine purr.

“We passed through Jubilife a couple days ago and he didn't run away, so I guess that says something...” I say, running my mouth as usual.

“Nothing happened?” she asks, raising an eyebrow. She places her hands on the counter in front of her and taps to a rhythm.

“No,” I say quickly, “nothing happened. No one saw him, but he didn't hop out of the backpack and leap into the arms of his old life, either.”

“I see...”

I find it interesting that the Joys place such a strong value on patient confidentiality... Except when it becomes bait for good-old intra-family gossip.

“Yes,” Gregory says. “A functional assessment of Kephi's daily life is essentially more important than the presence of the apraxia itself, so I didn't say anything because of that, either. Everything seemed well for him. But then Roark told me what happened at the gym, and Nurse Joy heard the argument in the Center...”

“Does everyone know about me?” Kephi says, speaking out loud enough for us to hear him.

“Yes,” Gregory says again.

“**** you, too.”

Having a family of nurses that are literally everywhere and gossip about their patients will do that, Kephi.

“All right. So train every week, and make a point of keeping him out of trouble. Just know that after the first few months of recovery, progress unfortunately will most likely come to a standstill.” I wait to see if he's kidding, but he's not. He puts his hands in his pockets and pulls out a normal pokéball. I would expect something extravagant from him. Something foreign. “To counteract this, you should have Kephi practice less powerful attacks. I understand you taught him poison jab, but practice poison sting, too, and whatever else you think is appropriate. When he's injured or simply having a bad day, he will benefit from using an attack with a body part—such as his antennae—that he's accustomed to using more often than, say, the feelers on the lower half of his body.”

You're missing a newline here, I think.

The whole calligraphy scene goes on for about an hour, until the drawing is complete. Though Kephi had to be recalled over six times and there's poison stains on the board, meaning that it has to be destroyed and thrown out so no one gets hurt, he seems proud enough. He asks what the hell Gregory was thinking, bringing in a picture of something so lame, and Gregory admits the board is meant for kids, but it worked well.

It worked well... didn't it? Kephi's had one thorough training session now. That's probably more than he's gotten in his entire lifetime, given his poor luck with trainers, past and present. With that thought, I realize that I'm not the only one who has to let go, so to speak.

Once that happens, the rest will follow. So Gregory says, but will it really? I don't know. Not yet. I guess I'll have Kephi go through this training thing a couple more times before heading back to Oreburgh. Gregory had mentioned going to the windworks, after all, but it's getting dark now. Too late to do that this week... And Virokoe's attacks need some fine tuning as well... Basically, this isn't over yet. We're still weeks away from the rematch with Roark, and even further away from the end of this journey.

To be fair, hunting is a kind of training given Kephi's. But this is probably the happiest (sorta) one that he's had in a long while, if ever.

Good work with this chapter, and good luck pushing forward with this yarn. I'll be looking forward to see where you wind up taking it.

diamondpearl876

So after some stalling and flailing after reading through this chapter, I finally sat down and got around to writing up a review. All in all, I can't say that I noticed any issues beyond one minor style failure, but there were a few parts in this chapter that grabbed my attention a bit.

"flailing" makes me think of magikarp. Just sayin'. :p

That read rather ominously given Annie's past, and I can't imagine that this bodes well for the future.

I'm not sure if anyone else picked up that up. Nice observation.

I am somewhat bemused that Annie's reaction to finding out that she's been lugging a tracking device along all this time is more or less the polar opposite of what it would be in any other journey fic.

Annie has a knack for being weird like that, eh.

I find it interesting that the Joys place such a strong value on patient confidentiality... Except when it becomes bait for good-old intra-family gossip.

Well, I figured it would make sense for nurses to share patient information with each other, especially if the nurses will eventually be dealing with the same patients.

Having a family of nurses that are literally everywhere and gossip about their patients will do that, Kephi.

You tell him!

To be fair, hunting is a kind of training given Kephi's. But this is probably the happiest (sorta) one that he's had in a long while, if ever.

Well, that is true enough.

Good work with this chapter, and good luck pushing forward with this yarn. I'll be looking forward to see where you wind up taking it.

Thanks for reviewing as always!

diamondpearl876

LOVE AND OTHER NIGHTMARES

chapter ten
thousands of times over

*​

One week later marks the end of June, and suddenly it's one month closer to Kyurem's anticipated ice storm. Kephi, though unaware of the situation, ditches the profanity and turns quiet, even thoughtful. At night in the Pokémon Center he keeps to himself, but I can tell he's restless, borderline agitated, what with the new found gleam of concentration in his eyes, and the way he postures himself like Gregory taught him before scrambling to the other side of the room and back. With each lap he increases his range, then he focuses on speed, and finally the poison-type is capable of performing sharp, smooth movements.

My starter's favorite place to show off, however, is at the Floaroma fields. One week later, we head back there, midday, the sun high and the air sticky. Annoyed by the heat, I sit by the edge of the fields, where the trees are bunched together and the fresh leaves create a canopy I can hide under. Gregory, who had left us alone the last few days to prioritize his other patients, stands near my pokémon, shoulders slouched and constantly having to wipe his brow. He had refused to take a vacation day or two, no matter how much I bugged him so that I wouldn't have to deal with the near-silence that had consumed the team since we arrived in town.

Kephi drags himself along the thick, scratchy grass, sloping upward a bit, past an area with brambles and broad, yellow flowers. The rutted track left behind him is one made from pressure rather than poison, thanks to the discipline he's exercised on himself in the midst of his resolution. After a while of warming up his body slows down, and with a sneer he perches himself inside a tree's blotched shadow, which shifts with the screeching wind.

"Bring it on, why don't you?" Kephi says, his antennae deliberately pointing toward Gregory.

Gregory's ditto, Eureka, peeps innocently, then reconfigures herself into the shape of a venipede with a gruesome vigor I wouldn't expect from such a small pokémon. The only difference between her and Kephi is the lighter coloration that reminds me of a cloud. Virokoe slinks away from the two combatants and plops himself down, next to me. I smile at him, rest against the tree trunk, and we watch.

Kephi gathers momentum and bolts forward, one of his feelers outstretched with drops of venom accumulating at the tip. Just as he's about to jam the antenna into Eureka's abdomen, the ditto leans on her haunches, then flees to the left with all the speed of a normal bug-type. Kephi's poison jab attack digs into the grass, staining the blades a darkish red. He ceases his assault long enough to hollow out the ground by moving his legs in circles. Soon a decent amount of the venom sticks to his claws.

Gregory glances my way and says, "That's one way to use apraxia to his advantage." Whatever that means. I nod in approval. Kephi doesn't have secretion glands in that part of his body, so he must have come up with a plan...

As if in a race he's determined to win, Kephi chases Eureka, taking but a moment to locate her and take off with impressive deftness. When his acceleration reaches its limit, he pounces and extends his knifelike claws. Eureka remains motionless, antennae twitching in anticipation. Kephi's ready to pierce her makeshift exoskeleton when a gust of wind picks up from the west and ruins his balance, sending him toppling in an awkward manner.

I hear a menacing growl come from the pit of his throat as he positions the stingers on his behind offensively. At this point Gregory rushes forward, seemingly forgetting Banshee, the smeargle whose main purpose up until now was to stop attacks-gone-wrong before completion. Kephi's eyes widen considerably and he retracts his stingers, and Gregory catches him, the force bringing him to his knees.

Gregory sets Kephi down gently, and Kephi's opens his mouth—probably to complain—when the OT looks him dead in the eye and says, "Let's not." Then he points at me and adds, "Annie, friend ball, please."

"What!" Kephi cries, and I stand up, unperturbed. He should be used to this by now. "Don't you dare..." he starts, but he's sucked into the pokéball with a flash of red before he can finish his threat.

Gregory sighs. He saunters over to me and Virokoe, and rubs the back of his head sheepishly. "Not the brightest of my ideas," he says.

"Understatement," I say, giving him a one-shouldered shrug. "What would have happened if he stung you?"

"Hospital's not far away," he replies simply. "The poison on his tail is what he had used to euthanize in the past, and with his inability to fully restrain himself, he could have seriously hurt Eureka. ...Though admittedly, that's just an educated assumption."

I raise an eyebrow at him and offer a brief imitation of Kephi's recent declaration about not wanting to be a killer anymore. I can tell my voice hardly resonates with the same sincerity, since Gregory runs a hand through his hair and sighs again. Banshee grabs hold of his knees and tightens his grip almost immediately, and he apologizes to the pokémon.

I wave at him. "Don't believe me?" I prod.

"No, I do. I'm glad for him. I mean... Well, you were a psychology student. Are you aware of how some pokémon come to have second typings, and not others?"

I blink at him, confused. "This'll be relevant somehow, I'm sure."

"Second typings—in a venipede's case, poison-typing—result from context failure. If I'm remembering right... Long ago, venipede glands were actually comprised of harmless hormones. Scientists would extract those hormones and use them to make drugs—to help stabilize sugar metabolism, for example."

He stops and waits for me to catch on. "And that's not quite what the hormone was meant for?" I guess.

"Right. I imagine the venipede line evolved and adapted over the years to protect themselves from experimentation. Context failure refers to the activation of that poison, in a setting for which it was not meant to be activated."

The aftermath of that doesn't sound like it was pretty. I tell him as much.

"Socially inappropriate, destructive behaviors are common," he agrees. "And that's why the venipede line is generally regarded as fearsome." He pauses to let that fact sink in, then continues, "Anyway, Kephi may not have wanted to deal a deadly blow, but it's certainly in his nature to do so without a second thought. His previous trainer chose his hunter wisely."

When Gregory finishes his speech I consider a whirl of stupid thoughts that merge together like puddles of sludge, which the mere sight of is disturbing. I can feel my body tense slightly. Before I was more like a mannequin than a girl, sitting here almost motionless while my starter suffered. Now I'm reminded again of deadlines, ones both near and far away. Gregory teases me with silence, as he looks at me, mouth curled and parted but not saying anything.

Kyurem told me it'd cure me, yet set me up with a

A killer. All right. I said it.

What have I gotten myself into?

Someday this pain will be worth it.

But whose pain? Mine or Kephi's? And what about Virokoe? I'm always forgetting about the purrloin, even with the shared notions we have about—about death. Slowly I shift my gaze away from Gregory and toward Virokoe, who had moved from his previous spot at some point to confront Eureka.

“You're supposed to be Kephi, right?” I hear him say.

Eureka, as if on cue, transforms back into a regular ditto. Her blob-like body undulates and a creepy, static smile is plastered on her face.

“Kephi was going to poison you,” Virokoe says. He covers his ears with paws, avoiding the imminent answer, then removes them so he can hear.

Eureka begins babbling, but to me it sounds like her species name. I'm shocked, but I can't show it. I hadn't realized until now that I could only understand pokémon that are my own...

“Would Kephi have poisoned me?” Virokoe finally asks.

The ditto offers what I assume isn't the truth, her voice sweet and low. But Virokoe's ecstatic. He hums a tune that I recognize from the commercial I first saw him in. He shakes his tail like it's wet and he needs to dry off, then he purrs contentedly. Then, in the middle of a field, where any wild pokémon could attack, he curls into a ball, lies down, and closes his eyes—like he feels safe above all else. I've never seen him so happy.

So I guess something's keeping us going. I don't know what it is, but it's contagious.

Two weeks later and I'm beginning to grasp what Gregory means when he claims that Kephi's therapy training isn't a permanent fix. Neither his physical dexterity nor his personality wants to adhere to a routine. The poison-type's mood becomes sour again, as he can't seem to forget the mishap with Gregory or Eureka. He passive-aggressively mentions how the wind pisses him off to no end and that the wild pokémon in the area would be a better challenge for him than an imposter with goop for limbs.

On the other hand, he is, overall, calmer. At night he allows himself to spend time relaxing, to peer out the window at the passers-by and not want to gripe about silly pet peeves. He's forgone all those comments about Virokoe's strict eating and sleeping schedule as well...

“There's a bright side to this, at least,” Gregory says in the middle of my contemplating.

“What's that?” I ask, looking out toward the Floaroma fields and toward Kephi, who's struggling to hit Banshee with a rollout as the latter dodges so fast he's leaving behind a blur of color in his wake.

“Kephi hasn't learned how to break out of his friend ball yet.”

“That's possible?” I ask, gazing at him suspiciously, as if he might have just cursed us somehow.

“When a pokémon makes use of potential energy from within the ball, they can force themselves free without being released directly, yes. If the bond between pokémon and trainer is strong enough, of course, then this should only happen when danger is present.”

“I see,” I say, crossing my arms disinterestedly.

What happens if you're always in danger? I don't say. It wouldn't hurt if Virokoe knew, though.

“Not very eager to hear more, I see,” he replies, mocking me. He points out how I had been just as uncooperative near the beginning of my journey, especially with the speech and physical therapists that decided to bother me with their nagging questions before I was discharged from Sandgem Medical Center.

“Ah, yes,” I say, rolling my eyes. “The therapists.”

Then he dares to ask how much money I have in the Master Ball Bank—or, rather, he wants to know if I had paid attention to his lesson on budgeting. I answer ashamedly and with some avoidance, saying that when I had trained with Nate, the job seemed easy, even exciting. Nate was sweet and kind, even if mute. After that I felt the full weight of the task assigned to me and my motivation waned. Rarely does it come back.

“You should call Roark,” Gregory says in response, handing me his pokédex like I don't have my own. “Set up a date for the rematch. Otherwise who knows when you'll try again?”

I stare at him, perplexed. Kephi's too enthusiastic not to try again, and Virokoe's rooting for Kephi for reasons I can't fathom. And Obieme's waiting right around the corner for us to keep the promise I made to him... Well, Gregory doesn't know any of that. He's telling me to set another deadline, this time willingly. I take the pokédex with a scowl because I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

I scroll through the OT's ridiculous amount of contacts, stopping to note other gym leader names along the way. “You know literally everyone in Sinnoh,” I say, mostly as a joke to fill the quiet until finally I reach Roark's name, and dial.

A familiar gruff voice picks up the phone, though obviously the caller ID read Gregory Holster and this crazy Annie Willems speaking throws him off guard. Over and over he asks if everything's all right with my OT. Yes, darn it! I want to make an appointment for a rematch. I want to do this right or not at all. I hear puzzled mumbling and the shuffling of papers, then he distractedly goes down a handy checklist he probably keeps in his pocket or something, like any good gym leader should.

Desired rematch date? As soon as possible.

Available during the day, in the afternoon, or in the evening? Doesn't matter. Trainers have nothing but time.

Name, gender, date of birth, trainer card number, type of battle desired, and how many gym badges do I already have? At this point he couldn't imitate the bitterness in my voice even if he tried.

When we hang up I have to try not to break Gregory's pokédex out of anger. Surely Roark had known the answers to half those questions already, and instead had chosen to taunt me, like it was part of his job description. I lift the pokédex into the air and a threatening expression forms on Gregory's face. Smiling guiltily, I pretend to stretch.

“Well?” Gregory says, now tilting his head out of curiosity rather than with scorn.

“A week and a half,” I tell him in a half-whisper. “That's it.”

“Fantastic.” And with that Gregory claps his hand, prompting my pokémon and his to halt mid-attack and wonder whether they've done something wrong, or if he wants something else. It's unusual, but the latter proves to be true as Gregory kneels and forages through his oversized, overflowing backpack. Eventually he pulls out a burlap sack, teeming with rations of all kinds, including berries and jars of honey.

Kephi hurries to Gregory's side, Virokoe following close behind. Gregory separates the berries into different types, the small, green micle berries that raise accuracy fed to my starter and the spiked, crimson lansat berries given to Virokoe, the idea being to raise the critical-hit ratio of his attacks. For once Kephi doesn't play with his food and he gobbles his meal with one or two mouthfuls. Virokoe, by contrast, uses his claws to pry into the berries. He stares at the the juices spilling out on his paws before lapping them up.

At the same time, Gregory pulls out a spray bottle from his backpack and aims toward Virokoe's side, which Virokoe would deem absolutely maimed if he saw the bare surface cuts he had sustained from training. Gregory yanks at the spray bottle's handle and a mist brushes against Virokoe's fur, prompting him to forgo his meal in favor of hissing with a grating fierceness.

“Hey,” Gregory says, keeping his hand in place, “I know you don't like it, but it's for the best.”

“You look like you wanna start something... I think,” Virokoe says, ears slumping. The humor of him acting like Kephi and then resorting to courtesy is not lost on me. He ambles over to me and lies down, one eye alert like a string is prying it open.

“Your purrloin is intriguing,” Gregory says after a while.

“Tell me about it.”

“Likes attention—begs for it, sometimes, even—but puts himself last in line when said attention might be beneficial for him.”

“...I didn't mean for you to actually tell me about it,” I say, but his description makes sense. Why make a fuss, after all, about everyday routines he doesn't care about, yet not even object when it comes to being confined in a pokéball, which he loathes? I turn to him. He's sleeping now, or at least pretending to be. I poke him in the side and say, “You know you can pop right out of your pokéball if you don't like it, right?”

“Yes, yes, I know,” he says, the end of his sentence stifled as he shies away and burying his face in the bedraggled grass.

Three weeks later, we're about to reach the road back south toward Oreburgh, but not before visiting Floaroma's renowned Valley Windworks for some final tests. All along the lawnlike expanse, bone white turbines spin with a certain liveliness, loud enough to drown out the cheeping of the drifloon floating overhead. A lone building frames the narrow river leading to the east, toward an elevated, mountainous area, where wind streams by the mills to harness energy and generate electricity.

The trees encircling Floaroma swing arhythmically with the wind, loosening their grip on numerous leaves, still attached to the twig, that glide through the air and down on my head. I fiddle with my hair, somewhat bothered by its thinness, plucking out the leaves while Kephi laughs at me and tells me I look like a sort of forest monster.

“Shut it, you,” I say, snapping my fingers at him. “I hope the drifloon up there,” I add, pointing upward, “come take you away.”

“I bet you do, asshole.”

Gregory intervenes, waving the poison-type away and lecturing me about how I shouldn't berate my pokémon when they might be relaying an important message. Then he whispers in my ear and says he's hoping for the drifloon to attack too, the difference being that he wants to see how Kephi reacts when whisked away from his comfort zone. I grin at him, and Kephi looks lost.

Patting my shoulder, Gregory says, “Until then, we can make use of our surroundings. I'm sure all the beginners from Sandgem only wish they could think of a training regime like this.”

At this, I frown. “Uh huh,” I say, tone flat. “I wouldn't mention Sandgem if I were you.”

“...Duly noted. Do you want to catch a drifloon?” he says, oddly changing the subject.

My gaze flickers back and forth between him and the balloon pokémon. Their dark, spherical bodies seem paralyzed as the air manipulates their movements, and the golden X where their mouths should be give rise in my head to an imaginary, foul conversation between them and Kephi. Gregory says nothing else and, as usual, I can't gauge how serious he is. “Just what I need,” I tell him slowly. “A ghost-type to complete my collection of jesters.” Besides, they're not native to Unova.

“I figured as much.” He bows down and pets Kephi in between his antennae, as if my starter still needed to be soothed after the snide comment I made. The two of them confer about what I assume is the next lesson, though I can't listen to them, thanks to the so-called music those drifloon are creating amidst the turbines' own noise. Virokoe, who had idly been scanning the view while licking his paws idly, joins the group. I throw up my hands in defeat and simply let them do their thing.

After a while the group breaks up. Kephi's smirking, so I know I'm not going to like whatever plan Gregory's concocted. The poison-type inhales deeply. I copy him, though I keep holding my breath as he spews forth a meager load of venom—just to test the waters, I'm sure—which aims straight for one of the spinning turbines. My mouth drops when the venom somehow manages to soar past the turbine without colliding with one of its rotating axles.

“Arceus,” I mutter, “hospital's not far, but you're guaranteeing a visit if this keeps up.”

Gregory shakes his head. “Not quite,” he says firmly. “I trust Kephi. You should trust him, too. The micle berries didn't hurt, either, as you can see.”

Virokoe—the lesser of two evils—inhales similarly. I'm prepared to laugh at him, because he doesn't know any long-range attacks. Rather than a bead of spit, however, Virokoe expels a round, pitch-black ball comprised of a shadowy substance fit for—well, one of the ghost-types dwindling past! The shadow ball flits between a turbine's axles, despite its large size.

“Okay,” I say, mesmerized and horrified all at once. “Care to explain yourself?”

Gregory looks awfully pleased. “I trust Virokoe, too,” he says, shrugging nonchalantly. “You gave Kephi a TM, but not him?”

“He didn't need it!”

“Aside from pursuit, what does he have? Fury swipes only go so far with rock-types.”

“Well, there was—” I start. Well, there was Virokoe's assist attack... but Kephi wouldn't want the dark-type stealing his thunder again, not if he could help it. Virokoe may trust Kephi, but it's not the other way around, and I'm not sure if the feeling will ever be mutual. And I may trust Gregory, but the man should have, at the very least, consulted me first.

“Hm?” Gregory says, prodding me to continue.

“Nothing,” I say, closing my eyes. At least this way, I don't have to see the inevitable poisonous slaughter if Kephi messes up. When your eyesight is cut off, though, your hearing is tuned in better... and of course, Gregory isn't one to miss a chance to torture me.

“By the way...” Gregory goes on peacefully, “I also taught him shadow claw. I thought I'd put those lansat berries to use as well.”

The overall atmosphere of Roark's gym has unexpectedly changed, even if the building itself hasn't had proper renovations in the last month. Signs pointing down Ironboro Street and toward the entrance stand with conviction, contrasting with the tilt I had seen in them previously. The adobe stones holding the building's stature together have lost their allure, and I spend only a fleeting moment pondering whether I want Obieme to be there, watching on with solemn resolve. Inside the halls seem wider, the ceiling higher, as if Roark had decided on a whim to make the place less like a prison and more like an open stadium.

The battlefield at the top of the gym's stone stairway is distinctly pristine. Not a single rock lies haphazardly on the cement, and the white boundary lines almost shine, as if fresh and repainted. Gigantic boulders lounge against the walls, stationary and nonthreatening.

Roark is tinkering with a wired machine in the corner. Kephi snorts and calls him lazy for whatever reason, and Virokoe shuts him up with a claw to the face. Noticing his visitors, Roark says he'll be right there, he's just finishing with healing Geodude and his other pokémon—the one I didn't get to fight before due to my carelessness. Roark sounds annoyed, but I try not to let it get to me. It's most likely because Gregory isn't with us, as he had insisted that I be left to my own devices, otherwise I'd not learn anything.

In a few minutes Roark's walks over to us with the finesse of a real coal mine worker. “Guess it's the day,” he says warily, peering at Kephi. “Is he all right?”

“Better than ever,” I say quickly before the poison-type can swear and get us kicked out already for causing mischief.

“If you're sure.” Roark retrieves a paper from his pocket and glances at it, then says, “You did ask for a two-on-two battle, so that means he'll be fighting, unless...?”

Unless what? Why doesn't he get to the point?

“Unless you caught another pokémon, I mean.”

Ah, right. “Nope!” I say, giving him a fake smile. “What about Obieme, though? How's he doing?”

“Don't know, but we could find out,” Roark says, toying with his belt and pressing the button on one of his pokéballs. Out comes Obieme, smoke flaring from his nostrils as he rattles his body to rid himself of dirt. I suspect he's been hauling rocks and cleaning up after Roark's battles.

“Another challenger? ...Oh, it's you,” he says, eyeing me. The lack of energy in that statement irks me. Obieme sighs, and I try to keep smiling. “I didn't think you'd show up.”

“And I didn't think you'd be so bold as to be Roark's servant for a while,” I say, the smile unwittingly disappearing.

“...Okay, so I did think you'd show up. What of it?”

His abrupt honesty forces me to look away. All this trust between my pokémon... How am I the only one not experiencing any of it? As a distraction, I ask Roark if we can get started. He nods and releases his geodude, the rock-type hollering and drumming his muscular hands against the earth.

“He recognizes me,” Kephi says, stepping forward. “Stay outta the field, little kitten.”

In seconds the jeer has Virokoe seething with contempt. His fur stiffens like bristles. “You're not evolved yet, either!” he reminds the venipede, who just buzzes with contentment and scuttles over to his position on the battlefield.

“All right, all right,” I say, waving Virokoe back, “tend to the ego and use screech, Kephi.”

“Screech! Screech! It sounds fucking terrible,” he says, shivering as if the concept bothers him that much.

Up to now Kephi's been resigned and dutiful, and now he's already acting up like he used to. What is it about me that sets him off? Now's not the time to dive into a crazed debate with him. Gregory's own words ring through my ears:

Let go, and the rest will follow.

Drawing in a deep breath, I spread my arms out and tighten my fingers, cracking a few joints as I undo the tension. My back straightened and neck positioned rightly, I yell, again, for him to use screech, this time my voice intensified and echoing.

“Mhmm.” There's the slightest hint of friendliness in the nonsense he utters. His expression becomes earnest as he begins to let out a high-pitched shriek, one I think would be capable of breaking windows if we were anywhere else. Even Roark's put off by the force of it as he frantically calls, through gritted teeth, for his geodude to use magnitude.

Geodude's hands delve into the cement, dislodging the building's infrastructure in an instant. From the sidelines I can see Obieme flinch and run behind a nearby boulder, as if the gym's about to collapse. Kephi stands his ground. Geodude hoists the displaced cement on its shoulder, then slams it down and sets in motion an explosion of ejecting rocks that spans the width of the arena. Halfway through Kephi's screech attack, Roark uncovers his ears and his geodude hovers in front of him, unaffected.

“Nice try,” Roark says, wagging his finger at me. “But I learned how to offset those kinds of sound waves since our last battle.”

“Any further explanation and you'll sound too much like Gregory,” I say, smirking despite myself.

“Continue, then. Rock polish!”

“Rollout!”

Geodude roots himself into the demolished cement, swiveling himself around in the dirt. When the various parts of his body are exposed once more, I can see that the crevices on its abdomen and arms have been smoothed out and made slick. Kephi's rollout isn't as strong as I anticipate, as he isn't able to burrow into the cement himself and kick the geodude from its spot. Instead of dealing any damage at all, Kephi gathers more and more speed that works against him. He pivots and switches directions once he scales the geodude's converted self.

Okay, so using a rock-type attack against a rock-type pokémon wasn't the brightest of ideas. Roark orders geodude to use rollout, probably to show me how it's supposed to be done. With the effects of rock polish, too, Geodude has no wind resistance stopping him...

I'm not about to let Roark make a spectacle of it. “Defense curl, then poison jab!”

“Oh, what the hell,” Kephi says, miffed about having little choice but to obey me lest he wants a face full of gravel. He loops his body into a coil, giving himself enough leverage to be able to perceive the geodude's location. The geodude winds around in circles, accumulating speed like Kephi had done. Kephi grunts unhappily but stays patient, allowing his defense to build. Once the geodude races toward him, Kephi waits and waits. I'm about to yell at him again when he picks the perfect moment to lob a giant ball of poison straight ahead, which strikes the geodude in the eye and sends him careening outside the designated battlefield.

Kephi blinded the geodude, simultaneously protecting himself in case his poison glands went out of whack and made him fail. Roark utters a curse that's almost inaudible, and then he apologizes.

“You should be sorry,” I tell him. He shouldn't intentionally want a pokémon with a disability to screw up, after all. “Now, Kephi—”

“Rock throw!” Roark cuts in.

“...Poison jab again,” I say, changing my mind. “Aim for the hands.”

Geodude stretches his arm downward, lifting rock after rock—but only after fumbling with it to decipher its size and strength. He tosses each rock in a different direction, though I'm unsure how hopeful he could be, considering his lack of awareness for Kephi's location. Kephi takes a while to launch his poison jab, possibly to toy with the opponent, but when he does, the geodude's fingers stick together with the gooey substance and his arms become immobile.

Frustrated, Geodude bashes his whole fist against the demolished floor, causing an uproar. Kephi shields himself with surprising rapidity. Once his body unfurls, he glances back at me and says sarcastically, “Sorry, you didn't command that, now did you?”

“Eh, I'll forgive you if you use pursuit.”

“Tsk.” With that the general atmosphere of the battlefield changes as Kephi makes a break for it and his aura becomes dark and distorted, more so than usual. The veil shrouding him is potent enough to baffle even the geodude, whose vision is still limited. He's waiting to be told what to do. Roark crosses his arm and taps his finger agitatedly. If his geodude runs, Kephi will gain momentum and the impact will be stronger.

“Defense curl,” Roark says as a substitute, just as Kephi's bounding over to his opponent and is about to clash with him.

While the effects of rock polish had been wearing off, the geodude's new, defensive stance propels Kephi away with its sheer solidity. Roark shouts something inaudible, and it's unclear how I should react. It's too late by the time I figure it out. The geodude smashes downward once more and the arena is flooded with crumbling rocks. An unsuspecting Kephi attempts to avoid the destruction, but within the minute he's pinned to the floor.

“Rollout to drive yourself out.”

He forms himself into a wheel and spins, the rocks stirring enough for him to wring himself free. He stands composed, opposite of the opponent, swaying back and forth with pestilent excitement. The geodude floats closer to the ground, stumped and clearly not adept to fighting without one of his senses intact.

Roark looks torn, perplexed. “I'm going to willingly recall geodude,” he says, slowly reaching for the needed pokéball and recalling Geodude so as to preserve his health. “I want to get him to the healing machine as soon as possible. He may be somewhat resistant to poison-types, but...”

Yes, yes, you're a caring gym leader and all that. “Next?” I say. “Not another rock-type, I hope.”

“Lucky for you, I specialize in rock-types,” Roark says, grinning and pressing the middle button on another pokéball.

An ancient-looking pokémon materializes on the battlefield. Roark introduces her as a cranidos, a species that indeed was once extinct until places like the lab on Cinnabar Island discovered ways to resurrect them. His spiel is interesting, but not really. At least the cranidos has more limbs than Geodude, but I wonder if that also makes her more capable of performing varied attacks.

Suddenly Obieme rushes in. “Hold on,” he says with a mocking tone. “Roark's been making me recite this to all new trainers that step in. His rock-types are born of magma! They're true children of the earth.” He coughs. “Unlike ground-types. And that's all,” he adds lowly.

“Thanks for that helpful piece of information,” I mutter, but he only smiles and nods, then goes back to the sidelines to look on.

That's right. He's talking about the hippopotas. ...I have to win for him just as much as I have to win for Kephi and Virokoe.

I take Obieme's interruption as a warning sign to not underestimate the cranidos. Roark sure seems rather smug, his stance renewed and confident. “Leer,” he commands, and so it starts.

The cranidos steps forward, stretching her torso so that she's towering over Kephi gravely. The two stare at each other fervently, waiting to see who will back down first. Kephi, of course, takes the opportunity to use a cheap move and launches another poison jab, but misses. Still the cranidos nearly topples over the from the surprise, and the winner of the staring match is obvious.

“Hmm. Focus energy.”

Cranidos closes her eyes, though warily due to Kephi's sneak attack. She stomps her foot, wresting dirt and debris from the ground. Growling, she reopens her eyes, a new found vigor and shine to them. If the attack is telling of its use, I assume that all her thoughts will be focused on the battle at hand.

Without her trainer's prompting, she lowers her blue, dome-shaped head and charges toward Kephi, her white horns gleaming threateningly in the light. The speed at which she runs on those shorter legs surprises me, and Kephi. Before Kephi can scuttle away, the cranidos headbutts him directly in the face, sending him sprawling backward and landing on his hump. The cranidos charges still, mounting Kephi with her horns and hurtling him into the air, almost high enough to touch the ceiling.

Kephi flails wildly, but he doesn't yell for help or ask for guidance. He accepts the way he was thrown off guard and nose dives into the bulldozed arena, accumulating a cloud of dust once he crashes.

“Take down,” Roark orders calmly.

First headbutt, now take down? She's more aggressive and dangerous than the geodude, I'll give Obieme that. Kephi's panting and immobile. Any powerful counter might exhaust him too much and cause him to faint. But we have to do something regardless. The cranidos is growing closer.

Then it hits me. “Poison sting!” I yell, arms outstretched toward the cranidos's feet for emphasis.

Kephi obeys, bombarding the area in front of the advancing cranidos with pin-like projectiles consisting of his non-lethal poison. The cranidos eyes the onslaught, but her running is far too rapid for her to divert from the path. The cranidos is forced to slow down, lessening the potential strength of the take down considerably.

“Good! Use pursuit!”

Kephi rallies together a decent amount of dark-type energy and leaps toward the cranidos. With the way he's going, however, they'll hit each other head-on. That must be his plan, or he intends to intimidate the cranidos so much she veers off track. In the end his motives don't matter. Neither pokémon budges an inch from their vehement sprint, and the collision that follows is deafening. More fragments of cement and rock are torn from the earth and scattered, and I can't see my starter, or the cranidos. My breath hitches, and I'm speechless, stuck in the trainer box until the dust clears.

Time passes, agonizingly slow. I swear I want to actually hear one of Kephi's quips, no matter how foul or obscene. When the dust settles, the cranidos sits upright on its behind. Kephi's awake and alert, though he's turned to face me and his expression is deadly.

I flinch under his stare. “Sorry. I should've thought of something—”

Recoil damage, Annie,” he says. “The harder she hits me, the more damage she takes.”

...So that's why he had gone along with pursuit the way he did. If he was tired, then the best way to end his match would be to take one for the team, so to speak.

“And where exactly did you learn about that, mister?” I ask him.

“Oh, just send out the damn cat,” he says, ignoring me as if I should know the answer to that. He wobbles over to me, past the boundary lines, and rests on the cold floor.

“All right... Virokoe, I choose you,” I say, glaring at my starter. “Don't you feel special?”

“I'm not sure what to say to that,” Virokoe admits, skipping into the battlefield.

The cranidos is on her feet now, her stubby arms and fingers flexing while she marches toward the purrloin, as if Virokoe's the one who had caused her so much damage. Virokoe relaxes where he's at, tail wagging. When the cranidos is near but not close enough to deal a physical blow, she stretches her torso once more, and her eyes glow darkly and deeply. The glint in her eyes establishes a strange, ghostly projection in which her face looks much larger, her body taller and wider.

Virokoe, however, is unfazed. “Er, do I use a shadow ball to the face?”

I cover my face with my hands, only partly due to embarrassment. “No, that's not a good idea...” I tell him, shaking my head.

“Well...” Virokoe says, his tail perking anxiously, “if Kephi wouldn't be afraid, I don't think I should be. So, uh, what about fury swipes?”

“Uh...” I stammer, trying not to expose the fact that he knows shadow claw, a move that would work much more in his favor.

Virokoe takes my hesitation as a confirmation. He pounces, scratching relentlessly, his agility so great that it looks to me as if he claws the cranidos's face thousands of times over to make up for Kephi's loss. After a few moments the cranidos grows tired of the surface lacerations on her face and swings her arm back, thrusting it forward to pummel Virokoe to the ground.

“Assurance, Cranidos,” Roark says, calm and collected as ever.

The cranidos pauses, her eyes exhibiting a ghastly glow once more. The dark aura reminds me a lot of Kephi's pursuit attack. A scowl becomes apparent, and the cranidos roars a throaty roar as she punches Virokoe in the side, successfully stopping his assault.

“Now, iron head!”

The cranidos's head takes on a silvery sheen, as if her head had just suddenly reconstructed itself into actual iron. I've not heard of the attack before, but Roark's pokémon is too predictable for her own good. She dips her head low and, aiming for Virokoe, runs in a straight line.

I go through a mental list of Virokoe's moves again, few of which I would be keen on using lest I want to make a fool of myself again. There's shadow claw, but the cranidos is far larger than Virokoe in size, and I don't want to see my purrloin trampled. I have little choice but to instruct him to use shadow ball, so I do.

Virokoe inhales and exhales quickly, expelling a morbid and cloudy shadow ball. The cranidos, with most of her elemental energy focused on her head, dodges to the side. Virokoe tries again, this time breathing readily and calling forth the ghost-type attack three times in a row, so that the cranidos will have to turn around or lunge through a shadow.

She chooses the latter.

The shadow ball flowing down the middle of the arena collides with the cranidos with a bang, bringing her to an immediate halt. The ghostly orb dissipates and in its place develops a forceful wind that spreads in all directions. The debris kicks up and I have to shield my eyes from the commotion.

“Keep going! Use shadow claw!” I cry to Virokoe, not knowing if he can see anything at all. But anything is worth a shot at this point.

The clamor that follows is confusing. Closing my eyes, I can hear the clang of Virokoe's sharpened claws strike the cranidos's hardened body. Once the dust starts to dissipate again, the one-sided battle sounds turn into disquiet parrying.

“Chip away!” Roark cries, just as frantic.

The parrying continues. Occasionally I hear a hiss from Virokoe, but more often I hear the cranidos wince and moan in pain. Roark peers at me, face tense and fists clenched. I'm just as bothered by how we can't see anything, but there's nothing to be done about it, except to follow Gregory's advice and trust our pokémon to overcome the obstacle in front of them. I'm a bit biased and am rooting for Virokoe, but it's not the end of the world if we lose today...

Eventually the ruckus dies out, and the sounds of carnage become hushed, the gym becoming a perfect backdrop for silence. The cranidos's eyes shimmer with hot anger as Virokoe perches a couple feet away, taunting her with preparations for more shadow ball attacks. The cranidos would fare better, if she knew long-range attacks, and if Virokoe hadn't been taught those TMs...

The standstill between the two of them leaves me awestruck. Virokoe's ability to offset an opponent with anger comes naturally, it seems. Roark has caught on to this, and orders for the cranidos to use assurance once more. It's a dark-type attack, but it's Cranidos's only chance to express that anger while turning the tide in her favor.

The cranidos uses a different tactic this time. She hops rather than runs, putting Virokoe's balance off-kilter every time she lands on the ground with an earsplitting thud. Virokoe, then, finds it difficult to accumulate enough ghost-type energy in his throat to rectify the situation.

“Sand attack,” I tell him as the cranidos is about to come down again.

Virokoe jumps himself to keep his balance intact, then swipes his tail on the way down to kick up large mounds of sand, which angle off and toward the cranidos's face. Cranidos makes a swift attempt to wipe away the sand, but Virokoe's taken my silence as a cue to move forward and do what he wants. His mouth exudes shadow ball after shadow ball, each one knocking the cranidos back with bizarre, spectral winds until she falls outside the boundary lines.

And with that, the cranidos simmers down and Virokoe ceases his storm of ghost-type attacks, seemingly content with his not-so-vengeful act of revenge. ...Is the battle really over? If that's so, Kephi's had ended chaotically, fitting for his personality, and Virokoe's, civilly.

My confusion disappears Roark walks up to me, hand outstretched. He grabs my hand and opens it, dropping the Oreburgh City coal badge onto my palm. “I know you don't particularly care about the badge...” he says, “but you earned it, don't you think?”

I'm aware of how shocking the concept is to everyone involved, but I guess I can't deny that I've just won my first gym battle. Actually, it'd be more accurate to say that Kephi's just won his first gym battle. He had been the one who wanted to train, compete and prove himself. Virokoe offered to help him reach that goal, and I went along because that's what I thought good trainers should do. I suppose that, in a way, it's a victory for Gregory too... I make a mental note to thank him later.

First, I thank Roark with vague sincerity. He nods to me, then says, “I think there's someone else who wants to say something to you.”

Obieme peeks around from behind Roark's leg, looking at me shyly. I bend down to meet him face-to-face and he nearly jumps into my arms, delighted.

“Rock-types are born of magma. They're true children of the earth,” he says. “...I won't be saying that anymore, I hope.”

“You hope?” I say, patting him on the head idly. He doesn't seem ecstatic, but he doesn't pull away either.

“Er, yes. Rock-types are awful,” Obieme says, hanging his head low. “They could literally bathe in the lava pits my fire-type attacks make.”

“You don't have to stay here,” I say, shaking my head. “I'm taking you with me, remember?”

“I won't be entirely useless, will I?” he says, motioning toward Kephi.

I laugh at Obieme, embracing him. “I think he has a soft spot for you, even though he'd never tell you so.”

And I should tell you so, but none of you are useless to me at all.

That night, trudging down Ironboro Street while the sun sets over the jagged skyline, Kephi scuttles across the cobblestone wearily. I bend down and grab him gently on the sides, then pick up him to carry him. He doesn't protest, and for the most part he only says a word here and there, and even then he's hard to comprehend.

Finally he speaks up and says, “You know, Leann didn't feel safe around me either.”

“Hm?”

“I was perfectly capable of doing... everything I can't perfectly do now. Yet she didn't feel safe.”

“I'm sorry, Kephi.”

“If you can't hold me now, you will never hold me again. Got it?”

“All right, Kephi,” I say, and tighten my grip on him.

That night, trekking down Ironboro Street while passers-by resting on benches and reading newspaper by the lamplight look up to ponder about the strange girl's Unovan team, I decide to set Kephi down. It's a risk, but one he'll forgive me for in a minute. I open my palm up to him, which had been holding the coal badge the entire time. Drops of sweat cover its face, but I turn it over and remove the pin lapel.

“Sign it,” I tell Kephi. “We'll put it in case or something. But this way, everyone will know it's yours.”

“It's yours, dumbass,” he retorts. “No one cares about the pokémon.”

“I do,” I say quickly, maybe too quickly. “And I... trust you, so sign it.”

Kephi takes one of his antennae and places it carefully on the back of the coal badge, emitting the tiniest drip of slime. He controls his element faultlessly, unlike how he had performed at the trainers' school in Jubilife, or during the earlier days of Gregory's training. I hold the badge with care, as if the slime were actual poison, and we wait for it to dry.

That night, plodding down Ironboro Street, near the crossroad where the Pokémon Center is in sight, the road behind us stretches long toward yesterday. We pass an alleyway drenched in moonlight, and the sight of what's in between the two buildings catches my eye. A clefairy, rare and known for its Kantoan origins, dances with a moon stone and uses its light wings to stroll across several puddles lying about.

Suddenly I feel Virokoe kick me in the shin to break me out of my reverie. “You alive, Annie?”

“Not if it's a particularly bad moment to be alive,” I say without thinking.

“It's fine,” Obieme butts in. “Well, first we'll get out of Oreburgh, and then it'll be fine.”

“Such comforting words,” Virokoe says, rolling his eyes.

“Welcome to the team,” I say, smiling. “And you”—I point to Virokoe—“keep being you. Or something.”

That night, in an unfamiliar room miles and miles away from home, which offers little but the sound of heavy rain pounding against the windows, I dream about things best left to the imagination.

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
So that review backlog of mine has been building up for a while, from what I've seen, your revision to your prologue does seem to add quite a bit to it in terms in delivery, but today I'll be focusing on finally leaving some thoughts on your latest chapter.

Kephi gathers momentum and bolts forward, one of his feelers outstretched with drops of venom accumulating at the tip. Just as he's about to jam the antenna into Eureka's abdomen, the ditto leans on her haunches, then flees to the left with all the speed of a normal bug-type. Kephi's poison jab attack digs into the grass, staining the blades a darkish red. He ceases his assault long enough to hollow out the ground by moving his legs in circles. Soon a decent amount of the venom sticks to his claws.

Gregory glances my way and says, "That's one way to use apraxia to his advantage." Whatever that means. I nod in approval. Kephi doesn't have secretion glands in that part of his body, so he must have come up with a plan...

Clever workaround, though I too am curious what Kephi's apraxia specifically did to allow him to pull this off. Are we seeing other parts of Kephi's body attempting to compensate for his dysfunctional venom glands?

"Second typings—in a venipede's case, poison-typing—result from context failure. If I'm remembering right... Long ago, venipede glands were actually comprised of harmless hormones. Scientists would extract those hormones and use them to make drugs—to help stabilize sugar metabolism, for example."

He stops and waits for me to catch on. "And that's not quite what the hormone was meant for?" I guess.

"Right. I imagine the venipede line evolved and adapted over the years to protect themselves from experimentation. Context failure refers to the activation of that poison, in a setting for which it was not meant to be activated."

Interesting dynamic there, I wonder if we'll see or get allusions to examples of other context failures among dual-typed Pokemon get alluded to later in the story, since some secondary typings strike me as being fairly interesting to mull about if they're evoked from "adapting to something that wasn't meant to be".

“Kephi was going to poison you,” Virokoe says. He covers his ears with paws, avoiding the imminent answer, then removes them so he can hear.

Eureka begins babbling, but to me it sounds like her species name. I'm shocked, but I can't show it. I hadn't realized until now that I could only understand pokémon that are my own...

“Would Kephi have poisoned me?” Virokoe finally asks.

I am curious, is this an ability that Kyurem gave to Annie, or does this stem from something else? After all, the distinction is too sharp and arbitrary for the cause to be something natural such as simply only being able to understand species-specific speech, but I can't think of anything you've alluded to the past that would hint at an origin outside of Kyurem's intervention.

I scroll through the OT's ridiculous amount of contacts, stopping to note other gym leader names along the way. “You know literally everyone in Sinnoh,” I say, mostly as a joke to fill the quiet until finally I reach Roark's name, and dial.

A familiar gruff voice picks up the phone, though obviously the caller ID read Gregory Holster and this crazy Annie Willems speaking throws him off guard. Over and over he asks if everything's all right with my OT. Yes, darn it! I want to make an appointment for a rematch. I want to do this right or not at all. I hear puzzled mumbling and the shuffling of papers, then he distractedly goes down a handy checklist he probably keeps in his pocket or something, like any good gym leader should.

Desired rematch date? As soon as possible.

Available during the day, in the afternoon, or in the evening? Doesn't matter. Trainers have nothing but time.

Name, gender, date of birth, trainer card number, type of battle desired, and how many gym badges do I already have? At this point he couldn't imitate the bitterness in my voice even if he tried.

When we hang up I have to try not to break Gregory's pokédex out of anger. Surely Roark had known the answers to half those questions already, and instead had chosen to taunt me, like it was part of his job description. I lift the pokédex into the air and a threatening expression forms on Gregory's face. Smiling guiltily, I pretend to stretch.

I must say that I never envisioned Gym Leaders as the type to take appointments by phone, but it makes a kind of sense when you think about it. One trainer handing out badges for an entire town is bound to get swamped what with all the Bug Catchers and trainers of top percentage Rattata out there.

Virokoe—the lesser of two evils—inhales similarly. I'm prepared to laugh at him, because he doesn't know any long-range attacks. Rather than a bead of spit, however, Virokoe expels a round, pitch-black ball comprised of a shadowy substance fit for—well, one of the ghost-types dwindling past! The shadow ball flits between a turbine's axles, despite its large size.

“Okay,” I say, mesmerized and horrified all at once. “Care to explain yourself?”

Gregory looks awfully pleased. “I trust Virokoe, too,” he says, shrugging nonchalantly. “You gave Kephi a TM, but not him?”

“He didn't need it!”

“Aside from pursuit, what does he have? Fury swipes only go so far with rock-types.”

Oh, so he did learn more than just stagecraft back in Jubilife.

Kephi obeys, bombarding the area in front of the advancing cranidos with pin-like projectiles consisting of his non-lethal poison. The cranidos eyes the onslaught, but her running is far too rapid for her to divert from the path. The cranidos is forced to slow down, lessening the potential strength of the take down considerably.

“Good! Use pursuit!”

Kephi rallies together a decent amount of dark-type energy and leaps toward the cranidos. With the way he's going, however, they'll hit each other head-on. That must be his plan, or he intends to intimidate the cranidos so much she veers off track. In the end his motives don't matter. Neither pokémon budges an inch from their vehement sprint, and the collision that follows is deafening. More fragments of cement and rock are torn from the earth and scattered, and I can't see my starter, or the cranidos. My breath hitches, and I'm speechless, stuck in the trainer box until the dust clears.

Ouch.

Time passes, agonizingly slow. I swear I want to actually hear one of Kephi's quips, no matter how foul or obscene. When the dust settles, the cranidos sits upright on its behind. Kephi's awake and alert, though he's turned to face me and his expression is deadly.

I flinch under his stare. “Sorry. I should've thought of something—”

“Recoil damage, Annie,” he says. “The harder she hits me, the more damage she takes.”

...So that's why he had gone along with pursuit the way he did. If he was tired, then the best way to end his match would be to take one for the team, so to speak.

Aha, so there was a silver lining to it after all. And it's cheering to see that even if he's not ready to be happy about it, Kephi's slowly but surely developing a sense of team spirit.

I go through a mental list of Virokoe's moves again, few of which I would be keen on using lest I want to make a fool of myself again. There's shadow claw, but the cranidos is far larger than Virokoe in size, and I don't want to see my purrloin trampled. I have little choice but to instruct him to use shadow ball, so I do.

Virokoe inhales and exhales quickly, expelling a morbid and cloudy shadow ball. The cranidos, with most of her elemental energy focused on her head, dodges to the side. Virokoe tries again, this time breathing readily and calling forth the ghost-type attack three times in a row, so that the cranidos will have to turn around or lunge through a shadow.

She chooses the latter.

The shadow ball flowing down the middle of the arena collides with the cranidos with a bang, bringing her to an immediate halt. The ghostly orb dissipates and in its place develops a forceful wind that spreads in all directions. The debris kicks up and I have to shield my eyes from the commotion.

“Keep going! Use shadow claw!” I cry to Virokoe, not knowing if he can see anything at all. But anything is worth a shot at this point.

The clamor that follows is confusing. Closing my eyes, I can hear the clang of Virokoe's sharpened claws strike the cranidos's hardened body. Once the dust starts to dissipate again, the one-sided battle sounds turn into disquiet parrying.

“Chip away!” Roark cries, just as frantic.

The parrying continues. Occasionally I hear a hiss from Virokoe, but more often I hear the cranidos wince and moan in pain. Roark peers at me, face tense and fists clenched. I'm just as bothered by how we can't see anything, but there's nothing to be done about it, except to follow Gregory's advice and trust our pokémon to overcome the obstacle in front of them. I'm a bit biased and am rooting for Virokoe, but it's not the end of the world if we lose today...

I must say that you did a remarkable job of maintaining tension here, the way that Annie basically takes a leap of faith with playing a card along with Virokoe she's been trying to keep hidden all this time and the way you end this paragraph acts as great setup for that resolution that comes immediately afterwards.

That night, trekking down Ironboro Street while passers-by resting on benches and reading newspaper by the lamplight look up to ponder about the strange girl's Unovan team, I decide to set Kephi down. It's a risk, but one he'll forgive me for in a minute. I open my palm up to him, which had been holding the coal badge the entire time. Drops of sweat cover its face, but I turn it over and remove the pin lapel.

“Sign it,” I tell Kephi. “We'll put it in case or something. But this way, everyone will know it's yours.”

“It's yours, *******,” he retorts. “No one cares about the pokémon.”

“I do,” I say quickly, maybe too quickly. “And I... trust you, so sign it.”

Kephi takes one of his antennae and places it carefully on the back of the coal badge, emitting the tiniest drip of slime. He controls his element faultlessly, unlike how he had performed at the trainers' school in Jubilife, or during the earlier days of Gregory's training. I hold the badge with care, as if the slime were actual poison, and we wait for it to dry.

I thought that this was actually a rather cute moment following Roark's gym battle, it's certainly quite a development from the original blatant hostility that Kephi and Annie had between each other.

Great work so far, and good luck with revisioning and continuing to drive this story forward.

diamondpearl876

We talked about the review over Mibbit, Spiteful Murkrow, but thank you again anyway. :~)

Posting to officially announce my plans to completely revamp chapters 1-6 of this story, and to tighten the language on the remaining chapters. I'm hoping to have this done by early spring.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Omg I haven't been on here in forever. God I missed Pokémon.

And, more relevantly, I missed this story. So much. Two chapters in one go was like heaven, guhh.

Unfortunately, I don't have too much to say. I see that you're going back and rewriting the story a bit, so maybe I'll have to post again later after rereading some to reacquaint myself with everything that's been going on, but I only have good things to say. It's been such a treat to get away from real life and read some good ol' Pokémon fan fiction.

I do want to say, however, how.... (I don't know the proper word. Mindblown. Amazed. Intrigued. Excited. Some conglomeration of the words) with the fact that you took like two chapters to just show how difficult it is to train Pokémon. You brought some reality to something that is normally looked over and done really simply. Like, as someone who has been working out, and watching how a lot of athletes work to try and better themselves/their bodies/their mindsets for their sports, training is not an easy task. Lifting boulders, jogging at 4 am, practicing attacks... Those are all good and fun but there's so much more to it. Going through the motions and doing it is only part of the battle. There's so much mentality-wise that goes into it. And since this story revolves so much with he mental aspect of the trainers and the Pokémon, I just thought that the way you portrayed that was really well done. It really helped with character progression too. Just good stuff.

Might I add that your battle scene was also pretty well done. I noticed that she commands both Pokémon differently, and I thought that was really clever. A lot of people just has the trainer take on authoritative voice and command, beginner or not, for all their Pokémon. The fact that Annie takes such different approaches to each of her Pokémon was a real treat to realize. And I like how she learned on the fly too; she let her Pokémon make decisions and trusted them to do what they thought was best, while still giving them instructions on what she thought was best as well. It's like a coach on a basketball team; she tells them what to do, and she lets them decide on how they want to do it (with exceptions of course on both parts). That trust part was a very nice touch, and I was just elated to read through it.

I'll also just add here that the battle descriptions, the flow of the battle storytelling-wise, was pretty good. Battle scenes are hard and I felt this was a very solid write. I felt it was pretty alive, and (again, I don't know how to say this) fluid/in the moment/active. It was a good read, and I can't wait to see how you tackle future battles, especially when their move sets diversify, and the Pokémon themselves get more experienced.

That's it for me! I'm so glad this story hasn't died, and that you've got intentions to go back and re-write some stuff. More incentive to reread the story :D. I do want to ask though, does this mean that we shouldn't expect new chapters in the meantime? Or do you plan on writing new chapters and rewriting old ones simultaneously?

diamondpearl876

Omg I haven't been on here in forever. God I missed Pokémon.

And, more relevantly, I missed this story. So much. Two chapters in one go was like heaven, guhh.

Unfortunately, I don't have too much to say. I see that you're going back and rewriting the story a bit, so maybe I'll have to post again later after rereading some to reacquaint myself with everything that's been going on, but I only have good things to say. It's been such a treat to get away from real life and read some good ol' Pokémon fan fiction.

I do want to say, however, how.... (I don't know the proper word. Mindblown. Amazed. Intrigued. Excited. Some conglomeration of the words) with the fact that you took like two chapters to just show how difficult it is to train Pokémon. You brought some reality to something that is normally looked over and done really simply. Like, as someone who has been working out, and watching how a lot of athletes work to try and better themselves/their bodies/their mindsets for their sports, training is not an easy task. Lifting boulders, jogging at 4 am, practicing attacks... Those are all good and fun but there's so much more to it. Going through the motions and doing it is only part of the battle. There's so much mentality-wise that goes into it. And since this story revolves so much with he mental aspect of the trainers and the Pokémon, I just thought that the way you portrayed that was really well done. It really helped with character progression too. Just good stuff.

Might I add that your battle scene was also pretty well done. I noticed that she commands both Pokémon differently, and I thought that was really clever. A lot of people just has the trainer take on authoritative voice and command, beginner or not, for all their Pokémon. The fact that Annie takes such different approaches to each of her Pokémon was a real treat to realize. And I like how she learned on the fly too; she let her Pokémon make decisions and trusted them to do what they thought was best, while still giving them instructions on what she thought was best as well. It's like a coach on a basketball team; she tells them what to do, and she lets them decide on how they want to do it (with exceptions of course on both parts). That trust part was a very nice touch, and I was just elated to read through it.

I'll also just add here that the battle descriptions, the flow of the battle storytelling-wise, was pretty good. Battle scenes are hard and I felt this was a very solid write. I felt it was pretty alive, and (again, I don't know how to say this) fluid/in the moment/active. It was a good read, and I can't wait to see how you tackle future battles, especially when their move sets diversify, and the Pokémon themselves get more experienced.

That's it for me! I'm so glad this story hasn't died, and that you've got intentions to go back and re-write some stuff. More incentive to reread the story :D. I do want to ask though, does this mean that we shouldn't expect new chapters in the meantime? Or do you plan on writing new chapters and rewriting old ones simultaneously?

So I was just wondering where you were the other day, and saw you hadn't logged on since September. XD I'm not a stalker, I swear. I was worried you were never coming back! So seeing this review was a pleasant surprise this morning - I do appreciate you taking the time for it, since it seems you've been so busy!

To answer your question, there won't be new chapters coming out simultaneously. Considering the fact that I work 60-70 hour work weeks and I'm balancing writing 4 fics, it just doesn't seem feasible. BUT the re-writes will feature a lot of new ideas/developments that I'm excited to introduce, so there's that.

At any rate, glad you liked the training/battle chapters. I'm the worst at writing battles (in my opinion), and it took a lot of work to feel comfortable releasing what I had. Anddddd training scenes can easily drag on. Hooray for psychology making things interesting, I suppose. :~)