• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Love for All the 649

Accipitri

Space relic
I agree, you can also try to avoid... letting it get hit P: I play rotations a lot, he does nicely there since you can easily switch without losing a turn to attack. Just predict and launch a powerful attack. People tend to overlook its stats - amazing attack, great speed (enough to outrun most things you need to outrun) and special attack. It has one of the highest-non legendary base stat totals!

Meowth City

Staff member
@QueenZoroark - I used a Mightyena on my 3rd Gen team. I almost always use a Dark type, so yeah. I wouldn't say Mismagius and Slowking are that underused, as I have seen a lot of people using them even in competitive battling. But I agree on Mawile and Farfetch'd - no many people use them at all.

BIGJRA

Catchin' Em All
Im never competitive, and thats why i hate random mstchups, people use all this strstegy while i only have regulars and avg. Moves...

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
Awesome thread! Everyone hates Emboar for some reason but its really helped me in both the main game and the metagame.

Eidolos

Bug Maniac
Ohmigawd, yes. This thread--win!! I like to train ones that aren't mainstream simply because it increases the likliness to say they are MY pokemon, no one else's haha. Like I take a few that have good stats, but if I like a pokemon, I will train it to the max. I'm a huge fan of Bug Pokemon, and a number of the early ones are quite useless, but I train them anyways because they're cool! Hah! What I don't like is someone who designs their team as nothing but legendaries. I used to do that when I was 5ish, and I had no creativity.

Guywhoiam

Dr. Researcher Man
There are few Pokemon I dislike, and the ones I do are because I don't like their designs. Pokemon such as Bidoof...

But some of my favorites are Mawile, Nidoqueen, Delcatty... Dunsparce...

Smogon isn't forcing you to use anything.. you have free will, if you want you can use Mightyena, Pachirisu or whatever you use on your in-game teams.

In fact even Smogon doesn't dictate what is OU, nor does it dictate standards. What happens is people go online and play on the Pokemon simulator "Pokemon Online". People use what they want, and every month usage stats are tallied up and a list is created. This list is OU.. the top most used Pokemon. In no way does Smogon dictate these as "the best" nor do they say you should use them.

Technically speaking Smogon doesn't really do much of anything. Usage stats and Pokemon sets are formed by the players. Bans are also voted on by players. There is no singular "Smogon" evil entity trying to sap the creativity out of the game just tens of thousands of players working together.

MissingNoHunter

Cannon Time.
I..mostly agree with this thread. There are some Pokemon that I just- *sees a Finneon* Fish, leave before I get out the frying pan, butter, and Cyndaquil.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I've long since come to the conclusion that some people just don't understand that weaker Pokemon exist for a reason. Some people honestly believe, "the game is too easy", but have a million excuses as to why they shouldn't have to use weaker Pokemon to make the game more difficult for themselves.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This. But I liked him before Drizzle Politoed became the big thing in competitive battling. His design has just always appealed to me. I'm happy Politoed is everywhere now, it's sad he's just there for all the wrong reasons.
Yeah, that is pretty much how I feel. Being a member here since 2005, I have liked Politoed before giving Drizzle to a Pokemon was even feasible. I liked Politoed for what it is, a frog.

Kim62

Hello
I don't love all 649 but it's not because they aren't good competitively. It's because they didn't feel like Pokemon to me.

Deciding whether a Pokemon is good or not based on it stats is rather rediculous. Good stats and movesets can easily be programmed into the game and don't take that much thought. Okay, it takes some thought but pretty much any one who understands the game can make up a Pokemon with good stats and moves.

MissingNoHunter

Cannon Time.
Yeah, that is pretty much how I feel. Being a member here since 2005, I have liked Politoed before giving Drizzle to a Pokemon was even feasible. I liked Politoed for what it is, a frog.

Politoed>Seismitoad any day. Politoed's been awesome ever since G/S.

MissingNoHunter

Cannon Time.
For some reason, I consider all Pokemon that exist to have been existing at the same point in time, as if it was the real world. And not that GF made the Pokemon in a later generation. But Politoed would still probably win any day.

-.- smart-aleck, you know what I mean. But thanks for agreeing. =D

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
I don't love ALL of them... but does anyone like EVERY Pokemon? (I'm sure someone does, but the vast majority must have some they don't care for.

That would be me =D. I don't hate any Pokemon, but I do prefer some over others.

I'm not a competitive battler, so I don't EV train, look at IV's or natures. I'll use any Pokemon that would look like fun to use.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I honestly have no problem with all 649. I do have preferences and minor dislikes, but I'm not mad at Gamefreak or anything. I'm happy with everything they've supplied us Pokemon Fans with.

I do somewhat look at stats, but I'm not too picky. If I like it, and I can fit it into my party, then why not? Every Pokemon is useable; it is up to us trainers to raise them to their fullest potential. That means EV train, or just train them up to level 100. If we agree with the pokemon's personality, then we train them (Natures). But I don't think some pokemon aren't good enough to be Pokemon.

And, in an attempt to keep up with the current conversation, I agree. Politoed was always awesome. I never trained one, because I had Feraligatr and I didn't need another water type and I like Poliwrath more, but I've always loved its design. I'm thinking of maybe training one one of these days. I might replace my Simipour with one, once he hits level 100. Sloooooow progress.

But I like Seismitoad too. Being a mudkip fan, it's nice to see another water/ground type that's easy to catch in the game. Easier than Whiscash (or at least earlier). I like Palpitoad cos it's so cute, and then bulks up into Seismitoad.

So I'm stuck between the two frogs. haha

Last edited:

Accipitri

Space relic
I like seismitoad better, although I just tend to prefer awkward-looking pokemon to cutesy ones. P: Nothing against Politoed. To be honest I don't see a lot of people liking or using Seismitoad.