• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Love for All the 649

Sanctity

Smogon isn't forcing you to use anything.. you have free will, if you want you can use Mightyena, Pachirisu or whatever you use on your in-game teams.

In fact even Smogon doesn't dictate what is OU, nor does it dictate standards. What happens is people go online and play on the Pokemon simulator "Pokemon Online". People use what they want, and every month usage stats are tallied up and a list is created. This list is OU.. the top most used Pokemon. In no way does Smogon dictate these as "the best" nor do they say you should use them.

Technically speaking Smogon doesn't really do much of anything. Usage stats and Pokemon sets are formed by the players. Bans are also voted on by players. There is no singular "Smogon" evil entity trying to sap the creativity out of the game just tens of thousands of players working together.

I agree with you. Blaming smogon for dictating Pokemon is like casual Halo players blaming mlg for ruining Halo. It just makes me facepalm.

Anyway, I dont hate any Pokemon, but I dont like them all either. Some I just dont care about. When I replay games I just figure out what team I wanna make before I start and just catch them when I can.

DiamondSeedII

Most people underrate Archeops because of its awful ability, Defeatist, but nobody realizes that Archeops has a counter move! Sure it looses its offensive power when health gets low, but it gets ENDEAVOR! I mean, give it a Focus Sash First turn, use any powerful move except head Smash (which makes Focus Sash useless) and try for a OHKO. When the foe uses a move that gets you to 1 HP or near, use the second turn for ENDEAVOR. Sure Archeops will die, but the opponent will be too weak! Your next pokemon will defeat it, guaranteed.

I simply love Archeops, it's design and cry are really cool~

Or after endeavor you can use quick attack. :)

Now to the topic!
I don't like EVERY pokemon, but all 649 pokemon can be useful somehow. :D

Aquanova

I like a whole lot of the Pokemon but Id be lying if I said I like all 649. There are a few I really dont like, but not many, although I dont use anywhere near all the Pokemon, there are a large number Ive never used in game. Each Pokemon i believe has its use though. I do try to use different Pokemon each play through.

Doctor Quark

Jack of All Trades
To say one likes all 649 Pokemon is a bit daunting, as Pokemon designs are a bit hit-and-miss no matter who you are, and the same goes with stats. But yes, I can't say there is any one thing I strongly dislike about any of the currently existing Pokemon. One thing I especially couldn't understand was all the people that disliked 5th generation Pokemon. Nearly all of my friends thought Druddigon, Unfezant, Vanilluxe, Klinklang, and a few others were extremely dumb looking, although Unfezant, Klinklang and Druddigon were all some of my favorites. Also, we could all more or less agree that Galvantula, Bisharp, Golurk and Haxorus were among some of the coolest-looking Pokemon.

If any one thing were to irk me about Pokemon designs in general, it would be Pokemon that don't seem to have any particular purpose. For instance, when I found Dunsparce in Gold/Silver, it confused me. It didn't have any evolutions, could only be found in one spot, and was never terribly useful to me in battle. It ended up being one of those Pokemon I rarely ever think about. In fact, were it not for the fact I have one sitting in my Box, I might have forgotten it ever existed.

Unpredictable-Strategist

Unorthodox Trainer
I recently trained a Crobat after a long line of egg breeding to get it Brave Bird and Steel Wing (for rock types).

I train lesser used pokemon sometimes, but my best friend really uses them to their fullest potential. He basically just makes teams out of pokemon he finds in the wild. He even has a team of NFE pokemon, and it's actually pretty good.

Accipitri

Space relic
congrats! Sweeping with an unpopular pokemon is always fun.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I'm with you. I love starting a new game and using underrated, underused Pokemon. Most of the time I'm very pleasantly surprised. Case in point, Pendragon the Pelipper and Jenkins the Seviper (anyone get the name theme?) which I now love dearly from a recent Emerald playthrough.

Meowth City

Staff member
^ But Aron evolves into Aggron, which is very overused imo.
Unless, you mean without evolving it, in which case it is definitely underused.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I go for looks over power, to be honest. And about 99% of the time, the monsters in the higher tiers look really freaking BORING! That or worse. Blaziken and Excadrill are the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
There are only 2 Pokémon I detest more than any other.

Zubat and Garchomp.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Anyone here use unfenzant?
Show him some love.

AZX612

On my own here we go
Heres a list of Pokemon on my teams that people would argue saying how terribly weak they are.

Pidgeot ~ Speedy with great movepool
Beedrill ~ Lightning fast, has wide movepool for a bugtype, and with Focus Energy, it can do wonders.
Victrebell ~ Small Movepool, but has reliable attacks and can mess up many pokemon in many ways.
Furret ~ Heavy duty Defenses. Both Special and Physical.
Ampheras ~ Really just a personal Preference.
Bellossom ~ SafeGuard + Petal Dance. And it can take a hit for such a small pokemon...
Minun ~ This little guy is a beast trapped in the body of a cute little plush doll.
Absol ~ Sure it doesnt have the best defenses, but its speedy with a wide range of heavy attacks and it learns Swords Dance by Level Up.
Luxray ~ Swept 3 different people using EV Trained OU's in 1v1 matches.
Spiritomb ~ Hypnosis + Nightmare + Dream Eater + Dark Pulse. This thing is truely a soldier of Darkrai
Unfezant ~ Small Movepool has awesome attacks withing, and its stats arnt half bad either.
Gothitelle ~ Probably one of the best Psychic types this Gen.
Bisharp ~ Really Fast (Good quality for a Steel Type) And a devestating movepool.

So put THAT in your pipe and SMOKE IT.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I like seismitoad better, although I just tend to prefer awkward-looking pokemon to cutesy ones. P: Nothing against Politoed. To be honest I don't see a lot of people liking or using Seismitoad.

*Spoiler*
Psychic Politoed is a frog lover, but he likes Politoed the best since it can learn Psychic.

I love all of the frog Pokemon. There is no need for competition if you can love at least one of them. <3

Accipitri

Space relic
That's cool ^^ I love pretty much all of the bug and poison pokemon myself. It's cool to see forgotten pokes be useful.

kablay

Freek
1. As for the Smogon issue, you have to admit that Smogon has an effect on what A LOT of people think about certain Pokemon. Just because it's not forcing you to do anything, doesn't mean you still aren't more likely to do it after going to and/or being apart of Smogon! Smogon isn't completely to blame, but it's not innocent, either.

2. DUSTOX FOREVER!!!!!! I love Dustox c: It's Poison, which is my 2nd fave type, and it can learn Bug Buzz, which is AWESOME. And Energy Ball and Psychic and yeah. I would never use it on a competitive team, but I'd totally use it on an in-game team because I luuuuurve it! I replayed HG and Plat. and D/P etc. a few times where I'd hack teams of Pokemon you couldn't normally catch just to play with cool ones I wanted to (and make it challenging for myself), and I really like using Pokemon like Chimecho, Cradily, and Bannette for example because they have really cool designs and I've never played with them before and yeah. I like so many more Pokemon now cccccccc: