• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Love, Petalburg Style! (345)

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Well, I was concerned that 4Kids was really going to dumb down this mature, sophisticated, verges-on-the-point-of-something-I'd-write story premise. Much to my surprise, they didn't screw it up too much. I think even someone who hadn't seen the Japanese version in advance would still be able to tell that Kenny suspected Norman of cheating on Caroline. Still, it seems kind of paranoid of 4Kids to edit the scene where Norman blushes.

Other dub gripes include the script and acting. Some of the lines - and their delivery - were golden ("Do I have to draw you a map?" "Sure, if you think that'd help") while other scenes felt like they really needed an American rewrite (the "Dumb, Dumber, and Dumber-er" discussion, for instance). But one thing that pleased me - Slakoth, Vigoroth, and Slaking all sound almost identical to their Japanese equivalents. Nice to see 4Kids actually try to match voices on occasion.

So yeah, an interesting angle to take. What I like about the "Advance Generation" episodes is that they take existing characters from the video games and try to see how they can mix them up with the personalities they're given. The whole "potential affair" angle here was a nice spin on Norman and Caroline, and a good way to showcase both characters effectively. I look forward to seeing the next episode - well, I've seen the Japanese version, but I look forward to critiquing the dub, anyway (there's already one scene in "Balance of Power" that I know 4Kids destroyed without even having seen it).

Wolf Goddess

~Lupo Di Autunno~
Kojiro said:
And Caroline definately said "Good Lord". And to that reply about Posion Tail, it has a high critical hit ratio.

I was SHOCKED to hear her say that. That one bit, Ash did sound like a tattletale. Norman sounded...homosexual, and Nurse Joy's voice was annoyingly squeaky.

V

vulpix

this was a really cute episode.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Not bad a episode, funny again like the previous one, but a bit too lovey dovey lol. May and Max, as kids, should be embarressed their parents are celebrating their love with the anniversary, not excited!

I'm glad Ash didn't get involved in the love-mess, it doesn't suit his dense nature, instead stayed home with the pokémon. Although it does appear Norman is as equally dense as Ash is lol.

How did Brock know who Norman, Caroline and Kenny were? He's never even met them before!

Oh by the way I can confirm from the UK version(which is the same as the American version) there was no blushing scene here from Norman when he was talking to Nurse Joy. Some of you were questioning whether it was just US/4Kids edit like the badge case was.

Last edited:

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
Wow, so many great lines in this episode... I see the "dumber-er" and "do I have to draw you a map?!" exchange has already been covered, but for some reason I cackled the most at this part:

Brock: "It means that I have to find out what's going on! This is a job for the original Love Doctor, and I'm sorry, but that means me. Nyai~!" *runs off*

Kenny: "Oh, no, we have to do something!"

Max: "I'm sure he'll be fine..."

Kenny: "But he just said 'Love Doctor'!"

*beat*

May, Max and Kenny: "Let's go!" *run after Brock*

Anyway, I don't have a problem with what the dubbers did with the episode. The suspected Norman/Joy affair was still perfectly clear, it's just that nobody ever stated it out loud on-screen.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

but they hinted about the possibility of an affair tho

Slaking looks just like my dad! and im not lying!!

it was a good ep

Norman is my fave gymleader!! but wehave to wait AGES for the next ep to air in UK land

Blazing Charmander

This was a great episode overall. One of my favourites ever. When I first heard about it, it didn't sound too thrilling but when I saw it today, I changed my mind completely.

4Kids did a great job with this episode. It's probably one of their best dubbed episodes of this series. How they handled the affair storyline was very mature and they added some very funny quotes.

The part where Norman was acting dumb to Caroline leaving was just hilarious. I never saw that side of his character before. I also liked the Team Rocket's Dumb, Dumber and Dumber-er quote.

My favourite scene of this episode was probably where Team Rocket destroyed Norman's firework plans and he got really angry.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Torkoal Stu said:
I MISSED THIS EP! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! But when is it reapeted?

Sky Mix: Monday 4th April - 9:55am

Although check tomorrow morning at 10:00am on Sky Mix. My guide wont confirm what the episode is, but there's a good chance that might be it, considering Sky usually repeat the new episodes the day after.

Sharpshooter said:
Sky Mix: Monday 4th April - 9:55am

Although check tomorrow morning at 10:00am on Sky Mix. My guide wont confirm what the episode is, but there's a good chance that might be it, considering Sky usually repeat the new episodes the day after.

Thanks. But tomorow is Gulpin it down! I checked on my digital tv.guide which comes with normal sky.

F

Factory Head Noland

This episode was on today, I missed it when it was on last.

I really enjoyed this episode, it was frustrating when no one would tell May, Max and Brock what was going on. I really liked seeing Vigoroth again and seeing Slakoth and Slaking. Man, Slaking slayed Team Rocket with it's Focus Punch! It was so cool, I can't wait for the Gym Battle next episode!

Overall 9.1/10.0

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
~Bayleef~ said:
This episode was on today, I missed it when it was on last.

I really enjoyed this episode, it was frustrating when no one would tell May, Max and Brock what was going on. I really liked seeing Vigoroth again and seeing Slakoth and Slaking. Man, Slaking slayed Team Rocket with it's Focus Punch! It was so cool, I can't wait for the Gym Battle next episode!

Overall 9.1/10.0

Ditto, shame we have to wait for a while though before we see it. Sky Mix are repeating the episodes from last week again. I'm guessing its so we don't overtake the Americans.

Medea

Excalibur
I just saw this episode again and...Bwahahaha! I still love this episode (beyond the crappy title)...The funniest part was when Brock referred himself as the "Love Doctor"...priceless!

G

Geki

What a good episode, I enjoyed it more then the battle. Everything was good about it, but my favorite part was when everyone was in the Kitchen and May kept mentioning things that annoyed Caroline, like May having a Beautifly.

9/10

This was a pretty good episode, I didn't know what was going on until about halfway through with Caroline and Norman

Battra

Very heartwarming episode nice to see Norman put a lot of investment into celebrating their anniversary. It was funny seeing Brock try to fix the problem between Caroline & Norman and then getting distracted by Nurse Joy.

Eagledawn

Sapphire
This episode was pretty sweet. It showed Norman's sensitive side. It was funny when he was acting totally oblivious to Caroline's anger (the map part). Brock was hilarious in this episode, too. It was good that the whole affair thing was suggested but not stated, for this episode is a bit mature.

This was one of the few Hoenn episodes I actually liked. : D
But I seriously thought that Norman was cheating on Caroline for most of the episode. XD

Firegirl89

Merely a Champion
lol this was probably one of my most fave episodes. Really interesting to say the least and a bit weird in some parts but interesting. I'm saying interesting way too much.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
I was actually surprised at this episode, because Caroline suspected that Norman was comitting adultery o_o Not that they said adultery... but we've never had that kind of thing before.

Needless to say, I loved the episode ^_____^ Even I had my doubts, that's how well-done the dialogue was! I loved the end, with all those Beautifly. Aww~ I'm glad Caroline had nothing to worry about after all ^_^