• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

LP Pikachu - Level-Grinding Help Please

DKN117

Legend Tamer
I'm currently trying to level-grind all members of my Combatants group up to LV34 (currently they're all at LV28-30) before taking on the Celadon Gym. At the moment I'm trying this by chain-catching Growlithe on Route 7. What I'd like to know is: is this the most efficient way I can do this?

What I mean is: What Pokémon, on what Route, would be the most efficient for chain-catching for the quickest EXP gain? Efficiency being measured by the combined factors of how often a Pokémon appears on a given Route, how much EXP each catch gets, and how hard it is to catch them ('how hard' meaning both rate of catch-success, a.k.a. the color of the red-orange-yellow-green shrinking ring, and how much they move around and make it harder to actually hit them with a thrown Poké-Ball - so, mons like Golbat and Pidgeotto are right out, since they constantly wiggle and drift around).

Note: At the moment, I have about 35 Poké Balls, 30 Great Balls, and 10 Ultra Balls (and 15 Premier Balls, which I'm saving for Shinies or other rare/'special' Pokémon), and for buying more Balls if I run out, I currently have about 34,000 Poké-Money (I had over 100-thousand, but spent a lot of it on TMs at the Celadon Department Store...)

And, if possible, would anyone care to give me the most efficient locations and chain-catch targets for (looking at future big-level opponents in the guidebook...):
Grinding to LV41 to fight Coach Trainer Grantley on Route 16-18 and CT Midge on Rt. 12/13/14/15
Grinding to LV44 to fight Koga in Fuschia City
Grinding to LV45+ to fight Sabrina in Saffron City
Grinding to LV48 to fight Blaine in Cinnabar Island
Grinding to LV50 to fight Giovanni in Viridian City and to go for the Bird Trio
Grinding to LV51 to fight Rival on Rt. 22
Grinding to LV57 to take on the League (the E4 and Rival)
Grinding to LV70 to fight Mewtwo

Grey Wind

You're kind of overthinking it. Go to wherever has the highest level Pokemon you can access (it's probably the route closest to the gym), and chain the evolved forms. There's honestly not much point in working out a specific, most efficient way (if there even if one) because the difference will be pretty negligible. Getting to level 34 won't take long at all.

You also don't really need to grind so much, especially for the coach trainers, haha. Just capture lots of Pokemon and battle the trainers you see and you'll be on par with most trainers throughout the story. And if you're not... it's Pokemon. Being a few levels below isn't a major disadvantage.

TechYes

Pokemon Connoisseur
Chain catch the one you want to increase shiny / IV chance, if you are chaining a rare spawn like chansey or charmander I get them to appear by chaining a common spawn like spearow or graveler, then lure after first capture because of the new combo.
You can run from anything (even your chain pokemon ) but if they run from you it's a broken combo. Keep some berries available.

You are already doing it right, there's not much to it, but chaining and making sure to get excellent throws with nanab berries (they slow down the circle) for maximum base exp and multiplier.

Pro tip: pokeballs over everything because 300 for greats vs 100 each isnt worth it until lvl 40+ wild pokemon. You will still catch 1 in 3 throws avg. But switch up if you think yogurt might run, use your judgement based on the encounter.

MadaMada

Is there a Pokemon you want to use? I played all the way until I reached the Celadon Fortune Teller, and got Fly. Flew back to Pallet Town to Chain Level 3 Nidoran until I got a near perfect 1 at about a chain of 100, then went to Lavender to chain for a good Gastly at about a chain of 150... I haven't beaten Sabrina... and my entire party is at level 60...

DKN117

Legend Tamer
Okay, I've just discovered something... maybe? I've been using Raticate chain-catching to level-grind, and boy oh boy have I caught a lot of them; I have, like, 300+ basic Quick Candies now. But recently, I've been noticing the shrinking capture circles' color shifting; I went from seeing orange circles, to yellow, and now I'm consistently running into Raticate with green catch-circles. Am I getting extremely lucky, or is there a game mechanic at work here that's caused by catching X number of a given Pokémon?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Okay, I've just discovered something... maybe? I've been using Raticate chain-catching to level-grind, and boy oh boy have I caught a lot of them; I have, like, 300+ basic Quick Candies now. But recently, I've been noticing the shrinking capture circles' color shifting; I went from seeing orange circles, to yellow, and now I'm consistently running into Raticate with green catch-circles. Am I getting extremely lucky, or is there a game mechanic at work here that's caused by catching X number of a given Pokémon?

There's a lot of people experiencing this. It seems to be a mechanic in the game that if you catch enough of the same Pokémon, that Pokémon becomes easier to catch.

As for level grinding, it's pretty much just a matter of going into an area with the highest level and CP Pokémon you can get to and chaining a Pokémon over and over again.

Ariki

I didn’t take on the Celadon Gym until I’d defeated every single trainer in Kanto from route 16 down to Fuschia then all the way back up to route 12, including kicking Team Rocket out of Silph Co. That’s how I level grinded...