• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lucario & Greninja! The Aura of Fate!! (1197)

KukuiFanatic501

The moments it appeared in SM were clearly DEM to me, his Electrium just powered up in specific moments no matter how much it happened due to Ash and Pikachu bond
That said, his usage in the Volkner battle was more strategic since Ash has it all the time now
Yeah, but like I said, the Z move sortve has an excuse since Z moves were a thing Ash started using since the start of SM pretty much and he and Pikachu develop their use of them over the series. Given that, and Pikachu being the one Ash would reasonably have the closest and strongest bond with, making a unique variant of the move doesn’t look impossible by those standards.

If you want to picture it better, think of it like Naruto learning the Rasengan, and then overtime he developed his own form of it.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Yeah, but like I said, the Z move sortve has an excuse since Z moves were a thing Ash started using since the start of SM pretty much and he and Pikachu develop their use of them over the series. Given that, and Pikachu being the one Ash would reasonably have the closest and strongest bond with, making a unique variant of the move doesn’t look impossible by those standards.

If you want to picture it better, think of it like Naruto learning the Rasengan, and then overtime he developed his own form of it.
Sure, but the problem is how the power up only used to happen in really specific moments. It's different from Ash Greninja that actually evolved gradually until whatever happened in Journeys
It's like Naruto developing his own Rasengan but he can only use it when his hand glows in certain anime moments

KukuiFanatic501

Sure, but the problem is how the power up only used to happen in really specific moments. It's different from Ash Greninja that actually evolved gradually until whatever happened in Journeys
It's like Naruto developing his own Rasengan but he can only use it when his hand glows in certain anime moments
Oh I agree the time of when the move would show up before to be DEM like. My point really is that Ash and Pikachu having the Z-move in the first place is tailored in a way that does make it more “believable” that they can have a unique Z-move for them by taking their experience with using Z-moves and expanding on it. And with Ash’s closest Pokémon at that.

That and IIRC, didn’t Tapu Koko or someone upgrade Ash’s Z-ring to get the black variant like the player in USUM had? Or am I misremembering that part?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

The issue was that there wasn't much of a plot for it and almost nobody really acknowledged it much? Not even Ash himself

KukuiFanatic501

The issue was that there wasn't much of a plot for it and almost nobody really acknowledged it much? Not even Ash himself
Fair, but to also be fair and play devils advocate, Ash did get surprised when he first used it. He noticed it was a new Z crystal when Electrium Z evolved into PikaAshium Z, only when Pikachu and Ash use their full power.

And when they first used it, if I remember correctly, there no one around besides Ash, Gladion and Lillie? Everyone else was busy fighting off Lusamines mons in ultra space while Ash, Gladion and Lillie dealt with Lusamine and Nihilego. So no one saw the Z move for the first time besides those 3.

I do agree though that a mini plot on it would’ve definitely been better

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
It did not get retconned because they didn't show it in flashbacks, they did the same with Serena in the Bonnie/Clemont ep (they showed Chespin in it which is after Serena joined). They hid it for later. And yes, you're overreacting. Outside of some of Go's capturing issues, Journey hasn't divided the fandom more than any saga before it.
Journeys has divided the fandom. You’re a literal non-believer who is oblivious and blind to criticism. If you call me “overreacted” one more time…

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
False equivalence like people said before. Serena’s case wasn’t a specific flashback or scene, the narrator was just speaking about Clemont and Bonnie being companions Ash traveled with in Kalos.

Greninjas case takes an actual very specific scene, it’s battle with Mega Zard X in the Kalos league, and puts it in the form of a flashback. A scene that, originally, has the AG form during that moment but doesn’t in this flashback. This and Serena aren’t the same thing. You cannot hide something that, according to this flashback, never existed.

Plus, as someone said earlier, one can even say that the Serena case, even if an actual flashback, happened before Serena joined the group (since Ash met Clemont and Bonnie first).
Did you watch XY? In that JN flashback, Chespin is seen with Clemont and Bonnie.

FRgpHcQVIAIaDE5

Chespin doesn't join the group until after Serena joined. Serena's absence is noticeable and had it not been for the leaks and rumors of the Sylveon's trainer being Serena, people would have either rant about how Journeys erased Serena from the continuity just because she doesn't appear in the flashback.

In fact, I had to deal with a rather annoying Twitter user who was convinced that the anime team was decanonizing Serena because of voice actress absence conspiracy BS.

Here's the thing. Ash talks about Greninja's bond with him. He mentions that he becomes Greninja and Greninja becomes him. What he doesn't specify to Goh is that this was more literal than he thinks. I suspect the flashback is how Goh imagines Ash's words. After all, if Ash reveals in the Master 8 that Greninja can actually transforms into Ash-Greninja, it will catch Goh, and in turn newcomers, by surprise. A similar thing happens with Serena. There are hints of Serena being part of Ash's group in XY, but the flashbacks and Serena's words cleverly avoid Ash himself. Serena mentions that she was inspired by someone but doesn't mention the name. The flashbacks to Eevee show Bonnie but doesn't show Ash, giving the impression that she was a guest character in XY rather than a travelling companion.

It's only when Ash literally passes her by that those newcomers and Chloe learn the truth. Ash and Serena did travel together, and while the scene doesn't outright state, it's all but implied that this was person Serena got her speech from. Also, it's heavily implied that Serena's relationship with Ash is a lot deeper than it seems, almost as if she has romantic feelings for him.

With merchandise of Ash-Greninja being seen once again, and rumors of the Master 8 featuring a certain character from XY circulating, I can safely say that this was no retcon. They're merely hiding Ash-Greninja for the future. Keep an eye out.

KukuiFanatic501

Did you watch XY? In that JN flashback, Chespin is seen with Clemont and Bonnie.
Ah right I forgot about the Chespin point. Still, it doesn’t really change my point about it not being an actual flashback.

The point by the narrator was that Clemont and Bonnie were former traveling companions of Ash that traveled Kalos with him, so they only showed them, dedenne and chespin so the narrator shows the audience who they are. They didn’t take an actual scene with the whole group, like the group camping or something, and erase Serena out of that scene in the journeys format.
Here's the thing. Ash talks about Greninja's bond with him. He mentions that he becomes Greninja and Greninja becomes him. What he doesn't specify to Goh is that this was more literal than he thinks. I suspect the flashback is how Goh imagines Ash's words.
Considering we see specific things in the flashback like Alain, someone Goh never met or heard of, or Greninja using a move Goh doesn’t know he learns, or scenes with Ash and Froakie, him and Frogadier, Alain having a Mega Charizard, it doesn’t make sense to think the flashback is from Gohs interpretation of what Ash is saying.
After all, if Ash reveals in the Master 8 that Greninja can actually transforms into Ash-Greninja, it will catch Goh, and in turn newcomers, by surprise. A similar thing happens with Serena. There are hints of Serena being part of Ash's group in XY, but the flashbacks and Serena's words cleverly avoid Ash himself. Serena mentions that she was inspired by someone but doesn't mention the name. The flashbacks to Eevee show Bonnie but doesn't show Ash, giving the impression that she was a guest character in XY rather than a travelling companion.
What is this part referring to? When she was speaking with Chloe? If so, this is a bad comparison since those flashbacks had nothing to do with Ash. They were about Serena’s Sylveons time as an Eevee and her journey from an Eevee to Sylveon. So of course they’re not gonna show Ash in them.

In fact, every time Serena used an Ash quote for Chloe, there wasn’t even a flashback.
It's only when Ash literally passes her by that those newcomers and Chloe learn the truth.
Yes but you also have to remember that Chloe didn’t know that Ash and Serena knew each other in the first place until Ash and Goh met up with them at the last minute. Just like Goh can’t imagine Ash’s words about Greninja, Chloe can’t imagine Serena’s words being about someone she didn’t yet know she knew.
Ash and Serena did travel together, and while the scene doesn't outright state, it's all but implied that this was person Serena got her speech from.
Yes, we as the audience obviously know that. But again, Chloe doesn’t, because she didn’t know these 2 were friends until the last minute.
With merchandise of Ash-Greninja being seen once again, and rumors of the Master 8 featuring a certain character from XY circulating, I can safely say that this was no retcon. They're merely hiding Ash-Greninja for the future. Keep an eye out.
I mean you can say this like others have been saying, but like some others have also said, I just don’t agree that they’re hiding it based on the presentation that very much resembles a retcon.

And If they’re hiding it, this is a very weird and terrible way at doing that.

And I'd hardly say all of the XY got the "biggest" returns when, say, Clemont got used as a punching bag to further grow Sirfetch and Dracovich for instance

You need to read this thread, the Kalos gang have been the biggest contributors and easily the best returns with a whole month dedicated to them

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Ah right I forgot about the Chespin point. Still, it doesn’t really change my point about it not being an actual flashback.

The point by the narrator was that Clemont and Bonnie were former traveling companions of Ash that traveled Kalos with him, so they only showed them, dedenne and chespin so the narrator shows the audience who they are. They didn’t take an actual scene with the whole group, like the group camping or something, and erase Serena out of that scene in the journeys format.

Considering we see specific things in the flashback like Alain, someone Goh never met or heard of, or Greninja using a move Goh doesn’t know he learns, or scenes with Ash and Froakie, him and Frogadier, Alain having a Mega Charizard, it doesn’t make sense to think the flashback is from Gohs interpretation of what Ash is saying.

What is this part referring to? When she was speaking with Chloe? If so, this is a bad comparison since those flashbacks had nothing to do with Ash. They were about Serena’s Sylveons time as an Eevee and her journey from an Eevee to Sylveon. So of course they’re not gonna show Ash in them.

In fact, every time Serena used an Ash quote for Chloe, there wasn’t even a flashback.

Yes but you also have to remember that Chloe didn’t know that Ash and Serena knew each other in the first place until Ash and Goh met up with them at the last minute. Just like Goh can’t imagine Ash’s words about Greninja, Chloe can’t imagine Serena’s words being about someone she didn’t yet know she knew.

Yes, we as the audience obviously know that. But again, Chloe doesn’t, because she didn’t know these 2 were friends until the last minute.

I mean you can say this like others have been saying, but like some others have also said, I just don’t agree that they’re hiding it based on the presentation that very much resembles a retcon.

And If they’re hiding it, this is a very weird and terrible way at doing that.

To a veteran, Serena's words are clearly from Ash during XY. But to a newcomer, it's sounds like Serena is just talking about her experiences in general. They won't know Serena is actually talking about her adventures with Ash until Ash literally passes her by. The same with the flashbacks. They all conveniently leave out Ash from the flashbacks when Serena is talking, thus continuing the illusion that Serena isn't a travelling a companion with Ash.

The same thing can be said about Ash-Greninja. Ash's words hinted to the fact that Greninja can transform via Battle Bond, but only the veterans know. Newbies like Goh? They wouldn't realize the double meaning. And besides, if Greninja looks different in that flashback, kids are going to ask why Greninja looks like that and would be disappointed that the episode won't explain it. Thus, better keep the illusions until the time is right. A surprise, if you will.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
To a veteran, Serena's words are clearly from Ash during XY. But to a newcomer, it's sounds like Serena is just talking about her experiences in general. They won't know Serena is actually talking about her adventures with Ash until Ash literally passes her by. The same with the flashbacks. They all conveniently leave out Ash from the flashbacks when Serena is talking, thus continuing the illusion that Serena isn't a travelling a companion with Ash.

The same thing can be said about Ash-Greninja. Ash's words hinted to the fact that Greninja can transform via Battle Bond, but only the veterans know. Newbies like Goh? They wouldn't realize the double meaning. And besides, if Greninja looks different in that flashback, kids are going to ask why Greninja looks like that and would be disappointed that the episode won't explain it. Thus, better keep the illusions until the time is right. A surprise, if you will.
Umm no it’s completely different, they didn’t ‘conveniently’ leave ash out of serena’s flashback. All of the scenes that was shown in serena’s flashback never had ash in it to begin with. Even the one where eevee evolves they took the frame where ash isn’t visible even in the original. They used their brains and choose the most appropriate scenes.

That is not the case with the greninja flashbacks. They could’ve done the exact same with greninja and only used scenes where he was in his base form, and there wouldn’t be any complaints. People would think they are hiding it and not the retcon debacle we have now, because at the very least it is a fact that they have retconned those scenes. Because they just had to be idiots and purposely changed existing scenes.

Gekkouga smacking around Lucario a bit is like a middle-aged man beating a 13-year-old kid in a boxing match. The episode was never meant to make you look into this encounter as a power wank fest. Either way Lucario losing is tied to its development in overcoming Kibana’s ace.
Lucario will beat kibana's ace which is Champion level, Greninja being stronger than Lucario already puts it ≥ Champion level, so whether you like it or not it is already Ash's second most powerful Pokémon after Pikachu with Z move

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Lucario will beat kibana's ace which is Champion level, Greninja being stronger than Lucario already puts it ≥ Champion level, so whether you like it or not it is already Ash's second most powerful Pokémon after Pikachu with Z move
Don't worry, the people saying it is in the "middle of it's arc" are also the ones who will justify Lucario beating one of the strongest trainer in the world in the immediately next episode.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Journey's hasn't "divided" the fandom anymore than BW, XY, SM, etc. There are things some people don't like (Go's captures, etc), and some things people do.

I don't know what logic you're working on here.
It is divisive. Battles are super predictable, evolutions are rushed and loads of Gen 1 pandering. Not to mention using Goh to try and draw in Pokémon GO players by having him be a caricature of them. There was also a controversial retcon early on with Mimey, which was claimed to now belong to Ash.

Stop please.