• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lucario: The Ultimate ace?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Let’s be honest: We all love him because he is the OG, but no Pokémon has been glorified like Charizard. He evolved way too quick and became strong despite never training with Ash. The Valley was a bad way to write him out, because he kept getting stronger each time he returned, which felt like a power-up for Ash which he didn’t deserve.

With Lucario, he is at least shown to be the Pokémon that Ash trained the most out of his current team, so the strength feels deserved.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
If we're just talking about feats, it'll soon have the best out of any of Ash's Pokémon. Whether or not it deserves it is another conversation entirely, and I believe most people have a problem with Lucario because it's so strong despite its development feeling so rushed and top-heavy. It's not really about strength; it's about how poorly developed this Pokémon feels.

It's honestly a shame, kid me would've been over the moon at the idea of a Lucario being one of Ash's strongest Pokémon. Now that I've actually seen it play out in JN...eh, I guess some dreams should stay dreams.

In short:
Ultimate in terms of strength: Yes, absolutely.
Ultimate in terms of development: No, I'd honestly rank it near the bottom.

With the previous aces, it felt like their progressions were more natural, and they just happened to become aces. With Lucario, they’re trying to force it to be an ace instead of coming about it naturally. Like you can tell the staff not only wants it to be an ace but Ash’s best ace. The problem is that the staff just powered it up without showing us how.

They also keep trying to sell us on this so-called bond that Ash and Lucario have, but they haven’t shown us that. Honestly the show keeps telling us about it instead of showing us. They also didn’t give us a reason why we should root for its success. Out of all the aces, Lucario is the one I’m least interested in.

Edit: I meant to say just how, not how it did.

Last edited:

DayQuil95

With the previous aces, it felt like their progressions were more natural, and they just happened to become aces. With Lucario, they’re trying to force it to be an ace instead of coming about it naturally. Like you can tell the staff not only wants it to be an ace but Ash’s best ace. The problem is that the staff just powered it up without showing us how it did.

They also keep trying to sell us on this so-called bond that Ash and Lucario have, but they haven’t shown us that. Honestly the show keeps telling us about it instead of showing us. They also didn’t give us a reason why we should root for its success. Out of all the aces, Lucario is the one I’m least interested in.
And they had the opportunity to give Ash an unique Lucario, maybe a more jolly or goofy one, but no, they preferred to give him Stoic Lucario #285, and although he has his goofy moments, we don't get to see any of them since Journeys is a mess of a series that prefers to show Pikachu for 100 episodes and THEN focus on the other important Pokemon.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Ash-Greninja was awfully explained

Lucario along with his other Pokemon have gone 72 + episodes without having Ash lose a battle, take that as you will about the writing around that and the “creative decisions”

Krokorok and Sceptile were good for the series they were in, + points for Sceptiles performance in the league

So it goes down to Infernape and Charizard in my opinion. Especially when Infernape has been said to be honing his skills and became the best out Ash's Fire Types. Charizard also has the most feats of the anime barring Shillcario

They also just have better stories leading you to cheer for them especially Infernape

Last edited:
Ash-Greninja was awfully explained

Lucario along with his other Pokemon have gone 72 episodes without having Ash lose a battle, take that as you will about the writing around that and the “creative decisions”

Krokorok and Sceptile were good for the series they were in, + points for Sceptiles performance in the league

So it goes down to Infernape and Charizard in my opinion. Especially when Infernape has been said to be honing his skills and became the best out Ash's Fire Types. Charizard also has the most feats of the anime barring Shillcario

They also just have better stories leading you to cheer for them especially Infernape
In terms of storytelling and narrative, Infernape is Ashs best ace
In terms of feats, it was Charizard (until Lucario decided to go ham, become literally one with Ash and kill Garchomp)

TurboAceK

I’m going to try and look at it a bit differently

Disclaimer it’s my opinion lol not saying anything is facts

Lucario has been the perfect Ash Pokémon since the Lucario movie (it’s debut)

Not just because of the movie (is a big factor)

But a Pokémon that’s strong but not Pseudo Legendary strong giving it a good balance of reliable but not unbeatable

It’s a friendship evolution and one of the best things about Ash is his bonds with people and Pokémon

It’s a fighting type, Ash I think more than any other type (only argument I can see is fire) is so similar to the fighting type from personality to battle style

Aura, it can feel a bit like the chosen one but I think since the movie it has been handled in a good way where Ash isn’t some super hero or chosen one but just something inherent about him (kinda like Iris with dragons)

And Lucario’s aura connection makes them a good match

Just as a Pokémon it’s the perfect match imo

And now specifically about Ash’s Lucario
Again my opinion I don’t really want to get into Journeys with screen time and such

I think personality wise it’s a near perfect Pokémon for Ash, it’s an appropriate mix of the cool Sceptile, the eager to battle Charizard, the emotion of Infernape, the internal motivation of Greninja, the pride of Incineroar and so on making it the amalgamation of his aces

Which pairs well with Ash as I think the best Pokémon for Ash are the ones likeminded to him which is why Pokémon like Pikachu Greninja and even Pokémon like Swellow work so well with him

It doesn’t feel forced (to me I know others disagree)

Outside of the idea that since Journeys isn’t doing pure Gen 8, giving Ash a Lucario is one of the more natural and interesting decisions

Having a mysterious egg that only responded to Ash builds upon the aura connection and still gives some of the egg pokemon traits that Pokémon like Phanphy, Scraggy, and Noibat had with Ash

You can argue that Ash just so happened to be in the area as a random egg but I feel that logic goes for nearly all his Pokémon, (he so happens to find a special Froakie, he stumbles upon a stubborn Taillow, came across a Litten before a bad time in its life etc)
And honestly I prefer this way over him finding a random Riolu or Lucario in the wild especially at this point after all the Riolu and a Lucario seen in the anime, as this Pokémon truly feels like his

The aura connection sync bond thing also felt very natural to me mostly due to all the prior stuff like Ash’s experience with it and Lucario’s having the natural connection with Aura so with this unique combination that Ash and his Lucario have, this Aura connection is similar to the bond phenomenon but gives Lucario something unique and a power up yet not “fanfictiony” like Ash-Greninja (don’t hate it btw just pointing out that “Ash”-Greninja sounds like a fanfiction thing lol)

And I’m not going to argue about Journeys here as I’ll get off topic but I really like the bond and personality that Riolu/Lucario showed since it’s debut
It was just so eager to get stronger and prove itself and had so much natural talent mixed in with a lot of potential
And it grew into a Pokémon that had a bit more pride which showed multiple times
And it got to the point where it put its pride to the side to work with Ash and surpass its limits
And possibly become Ash’s strongest Pokémon

So I think Ash’s Lucario hits the right mix of being the perfect literal Pokémon for Ash, personality wise it’s near perfect for Ash, it has the underdog quality of not being like a Garchomp or Metagross or a Legendary but also has insane potential with the Aura Sync Boost and Mega evolution
(Combining qualities from Pikachu and Greninja is the simple way to say)
So yes Lucario is the ultimate ace to me

Due to Journeys mixed reception Pokémon like Charizard and Greninja might get the nod from most fans because of less turmoil around the series but I think Lucario has made the case to being the Ultimate Ace

Frankly, I don't think any Pokemon will ever embody the " Ultimate Ace " archetype the way AG did with Ash.

And to be honest, this is coming from someone who was previously all on board the Lucario surpassing Greninja train but now I'm pretty skeptical from the power level aspect as well given that Mega Lucario will apparently be facing non-Mega Evolved Garchomp that's taken damage from the duck.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think any Pokemon will ever embody the " Ultimate Ace " archetype the way AG did with Ash.

And to be honest, this is coming from someone who was previously all on board the Lucario surpassing Greninja train but now I'm pretty skeptical from the power level aspect as well given that Mega Lucario will apparently be facing non-Mega Evolved Garchomp that's taken damage from the duck.
AG lost to Charizard and has horrible feats compared to Scep, Zard, and even Ape