• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lucky-Licky

RU is probably the funnest tier I've ever played in 5th Gen. Pretty much everyone and their mother fits in somehow. Sweepers and walls that would suck in the upper tiers find themselves easily at home in RU. So I decided to put together a little team based on an Evolite abuser that I've always wanted to try and I though would make an excellent abuser: Lickitung. So far, I've been really impressed with this team. It made it into the Top 10 before I had a couple of sucky, haxy battles and went inactive from PO for a little while.

615.gif
@Leftovers
Calm
Levitate
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA
Moves:
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Haze

Besides looking like an absolute beast, Cryogonal makes a pretty nice spinner on stall teams like this one. Just to put things into perspective, this thing has more special bulk than Skarmory has physical bulk. Wasting EVs into physical defense is pointless, so all out special for this guy. It also makes a decent check to Lilligant, since even LO +1 Lilli will rarely, if ever, 2HKO with HP Rock/Fire. The fact that I'm using Haze to eliminate its boosts means that it pretty much doesn't win. Overall, great check to random special threats, and great spinner.

As a side note, I do have this thing in the lead position in team preview, but only to lure out random Fighting types and such, mainly Entei and the Hitmonbros. This helps me lead and set up easily with my next Pokemon.

211.gif
@Leftovers
Impish
Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Moves:
-Toxic Spikes
-Spikes
-Aqua Jet
-Poison Jab

Qwilfish does my team a huge favor by carrying both Toxic Spikes and Spikes, as well as checking random physical threats. Intimidate gives Qwilfish the equivalent of Base 137 defense, which basically means that CB Entei can only 4HKO with Flare Blitz at best. Between FB recoil and Aqua Jet, I usually win. Aqua Jet is also useful for getting in a ton of damage on Dugtrio before it kills me (a 69% minimum). Poison Jab offers a nice STAB move and backup poison for things immune to Toxic Spikes. Since I usually draw out Pokemon like Entei and the Hitmonbros with Cryogonal in the lead position, I can usually safely get up at least one layer to TSpikes/Spikes early on. Very useful.

200.gif
@Evolite
Calm
Levitate
EVs: 252 HP, 240 Def, 16 SpD
Moves:
-Will-O-Wisp
-Heal Bell
-Pain Split
-Shadow Ball

I've replaced Altaria with Misdreavus for two reasons: one, I lacked a spin blocker, and two, I had a pretty nasty Rock weakness. Misdreavus does a good job of spin blocking, reducing my Rock weakness, and healing the team via Heal Bell, which was Altaria's main job. Other than that, she burns stuff and throws around Shadow Balls when she feels like it. The EVs get a jump point in SpD, and the rest goes to Def to make her as physically bulky as possible. It's also just enough to ensure that +2 Adamant LO Crustle will never OHKO with Stone Edge, allowing me to burn it. It's pretty nice, just in case Steelix isn't in shape to take it on (who takes a 72% max from Earthquake and OHKOs with Gyro Ball). The burn also helps me take on opposing Steelix, which are pretty annoying without.

630.gif
@Leftovers
Careful
Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP, 252 SpD, 8 Def
Moves:
-Knock Off
-Roost
-Toxic
-Whirlwind

I wanted an all purpose wall-n-stall Pokemon, and here she is! Specially defensive Mandibuzz works really well in RU. Just to put this thing's bulk into perspective, non-LO Magmortar cannot 2HKO with Thunderbolt, and Knock Off helps ensure that Magmortar loses that Life Orb. Besides, running Taunt over Knock Off made me Taunt bait, and I never really used it much. Toxic offers a little extra insurance against Flyers/Levitators that are immune to TSpikes. Once I get Spikes and SR up, Whirlwind becomes a lot more dangerous. All around good Pokemon, very bulky. I'm perfectly open to moving around EVs, though.

208.gif
@Leftovers
Relaxed
Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Moves:
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Dragon Tail

I realized that I needed Stealth Rock, so I considered a few Pokemon including Ferroseed, Rhydon, Metang, and Steelix. I chose Steelix, and he's done really well. I used to run more SpD, but I found that most strong special attacks either KOd or took me to 1 HP via Sturdy whether I had the extra SpD EVs or not, so I just went all out physical. Once I throw up Stealth Rock, I can just throw around Gyro Balls, Earthquakes, and Dragon Tails. It works well, but I'm flexible here. Anything that's good and can throw up Stealth Rock will do.

108.gif
@Evolite
Careful
Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
Moves:
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Curse
-Dragon Tail

First off, I know that RestTalk isn't as good with the new sleep mechanics, but I've tried a few variants with Wish and I usually run into problems. RestTalk is just the most reliable overall.

Anyways, this is the star of the show. Lickitung has the equivalent of 90/137/137, special bulk that Jirachi wishes it could have and, after just one Curse, physical bulk that Skarmory would die for. Once Lickitung gets Curse going, not much really threatens it. I've literally had 6 Pokemon sweeps with this thing. The key to this little guy is the surprise factor. Not because people go "Oh no, it's a Lickitung. What do I do?" but because people go "Lol, it's a Lickitung. I'll just set up on it." My personal favorite is SD Sceptile who, every time, tries to SD to +6 while I use Curse. After the third SD, I hit him with Dragon Tail. Now I've got a +2/+2 Lickitung and they have a weakened Sceptile and possible another weakened Pokemon if hazards are up.

In short, Evolite Lickitung is really underrated, and this team attempts to use support to bring out the best in him. So please rate away, unless you have no experience in the RU metagame. Then I'll probably just ignore you and you'll embarrass yourself. No pressure. ;)

Last edited:

Wire

Banned
Wow great team interesting concept. Only thing you may want is a spinblocker. I guess the primary option would be cofagrigius I guess dusknoir is quite viable too. Mandibuzz currently seems the most expendable team member and adding a ghost reduces Your rather large weakness to rock types, like shell smash crustle for example could be an issue for this team. Steelix won't like taking earthquakes and all. Cofagrigius (spelled wrong) helps with your weakness to crustle thanks to it's gargantuan defense stat and will-o-wisp. Dusknoir could do the same.

Acatia

Gone Drinking
I used a very similar Steelix in OU, gave him atk EVs instead of def cuz he's already a defencive monster. I love all of these guys, so original. If anything Lickytung could probly work in OU too provided you've taken care of opposing fight types, Rest/Talk Curse/DT is great.
Nice bulky Dnite set on lil Altaria.
If I had an official seal of approval, you'd get it.

Wow great team interesting concept. Only thing you may want is a spinblocker. I guess the primary option would be cofagrigius I guess dusknoir is quite viable too. Mandibuzz currently seems the most expendable team member and adding a ghost reduces Your rather large weakness to rock types, like shell smash crustle for example could be an issue for this team. Steelix won't like taking earthquakes and all. Cofagrigius (spelled wrong) helps with your weakness to crustle thanks to it's gargantuan defense stat and will-o-wisp. Dusknoir could do the same.

Thanks for the rate! ^_^

You're right, I do have a good sized Rock weakness. So far Steelix has handled it alright, but he can't take everything. I have been considering Evolite Misdreavus as a spin blocker. Mandibuzz might be kinda hard to replace, since it just checks or walls a ton of stuff. However, Mandibuzz can sorta check Magmortar if I can Knock Off it's Life Orb, so I could replace Altaria with a Misdreavus with Heal Bell. Besides, Altaria honestly does the least of anything on this team, and Misdreavus can burn Poisons and Steels who are immune to poison. It's pretty bulky, too, so it makes a nice spin blocker.

Worth a shot?

Wire

Banned
Thanks for the rate! ^_^

You're right, I do have a good sized Rock weakness. So far Steelix has handled it alright, but he can't take everything. I have been considering Evolite Misdreavus as a spin blocker. Mandibuzz might be kinda hard to replace, since it just checks or walls a ton of stuff. However, Mandibuzz can sorta check Magmortar if I can Knock Off it's Life Orb, so I could replace Altaria with a Misdreavus with Heal Bell. Besides, Altaria honestly does the least of anything on this team, and Misdreavus can burn Poisons and Steels who are immune to poison. It's pretty bulky, too, so it makes a nice spin blocker.

Worth a shot?

Sounds great. Good luck. Honestly I can't see Altaria doing much besides heal belling. Keep in mind If you have a spin blocker, you could just let fishy explode. Another option you may want to try is drapion and crustle to get up your entry hazards,they are bulkier and much more reliable than a qwilifish. Steelix would be the other one replaced here.

I used a very similar Steelix in OU, gave him atk EVs instead of def cuz he's already a defencive monster. I love all of these guys, so original. If anything Lickytung could probly work in OU too provided you've taken care of opposing fight types, Rest/Talk Curse/DT is great.
Nice bulky Dnite set on lil Altaria.
If I had an official seal of approval, you'd get it.

Thanks man! Although Altaria may be the best one to replace right now, I do enjoy the bulky DD set.

Sounds great. Good luck. Honestly I can't see Altaria doing much besides heal belling. Keep in mind If you have a spin blocker, you could just let fishy explode. Another option you may want to try is drapion and crustle to get up your entry hazards,they are bulkier and much more reliable than a qwilifish. Steelix would be the other one replaced here.

Alright, I'll start testing Misdreavous over Altaria next time I get a chance (maybe tomorrow or so). As for Drapion and Crustle, the main reason I use Qwilfish is its ability to check random physical threats with Intimidate and its great typing. Without it, Hitmonlee throws around Hi Jump Kicks and Stone Edges all over me and CB Entei pretty much destroys me, and that thing is everywhere. Also, Steelix's Steel resistances have been too useful. I'll most likely replace him with Ferroseed if anything. But I will keep Drapion and Crustle in mind. Thanks for the suggestion!

Wire

Banned
run some speed on steelix to beat others. like 8-12 EVs. taken form defence.

run some speed on steelix to beat others. like 8-12 EVs. taken form defence.

Nah, outrunning other Steelix isn't really high on my priority list. Besides, Misdreavus's burn helps me cripple it and take it out with my own Steelix. Worst case scenario against the standard, I come out with a little more than 2/3 of Steelix's health left.

Also, update on the team. After testing out Misdreavus, I'm going to keep it. It's really easy to come in on Rapid Spinners and burn them or tank their hits. For example, Hitmonlee can only 3HKO with Stone Edge, a 6HKO at best after the burn. Claydol scores an (lol) 8HKO with Ice Beam on a good day. My Shadow Ball 3HKOs both, and may 2HKO Lee between Shadow Ball, burn, and Lee's Life Orb. It has also performed a little more reliably than Altaria on average, so I'm keeping it for now.

Ok, so with Misdreavus filling in for Altaria, any more advice on the new lineup?

Phoopes

There it is.
Looks pretty good. Just one thing, though. You said that Cryogonal has more Special Bulk than Skarmory does Physical bulk. According to Serebii's Pokedex, Skarmory has base 140 Defense and Cryogonal has base 135 Special Defense. It's a bit of a nitpick since they're close, but I thought I'd let you know nonetheless. Overall, a really solid team. Looks like it will do well.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I made a similar team once only I used meganium, so, what do you do once your lickitongue is dragon tailed out? People will expect what will happen when it switches back in...

Wire

Banned
Looks pretty good. Just one thing, though. You said that Cryogonal has more Special Bulk than Skarmory does Physical bulk. According to Serebii's Pokedex, Skarmory has base 140 Defense and Cryogonal has base 135 Special Defense. It's a bit of a nitpick since they're close, but I thought I'd let you know nonetheless. Overall, a really solid team. Looks like it will do well.

No, you are wrong.
Cyrogoanal's. hP makes it more bulky

LinksOcarina

The true master
I have been real busy as of late, so I won't do an in-depth analysis...

But in short, you covered your bases well and for a stalling team it works. I would just be cautious though of rock (although you took care of that) and the odd fighter that might show up every so often. Likitung in particular can take a hit from the likes of Sawk and Hitmonlee, but it would be difficult to counter them straight up after that.

Also for Mandibuzz, I would experiment with a balanced EV spread on both defenses and see what happens. I used to do that with her on PO and it worked well for a similar set you have (bar knock off, opted for U-turn making her a scouter) and it made her a bit more survivable in the long run, although it really depends on what you are facing and in this tier...it's a lot of different types that are viable.

Overall, I like it a lot dude. Good work.

Oh cool, more posts. :cool:

Yeah, like Wire mentioned, it's the extra HP that makes the difference. There's also the fact that the standard Skarm sacrifices a little bit of Def for speed.

I made a similar team once only I used meganium, so, what do you do once your lickitongue is dragon tailed out? People will expect what will happen when it switches back in...

Good question. It's annoying, but usually not that much of a problem. See, Lickitung isn't only effective because of the little surprise factor, but also because of the fact that it's really bulky and can shrug off plenty of attacks and status with RestTalk. Also, whether the opponent is aware of my strategy or not, I always try to eliminate problematic Pokemon before attempting to set up. If the opponent phazes me out, I'll just bring in Licky later when I get the opportunity.

But in short, you covered your bases well and for a stalling team it works. I would just be cautious though of rock (although you took care of that) and the odd fighter that might show up every so often. Likitung in particular can take a hit from the likes of Sawk and Hitmonlee, but it would be difficult to counter them straight up after that.

Yeah, random fighting types are a problem for Licky, but I can usually predict their switch in and Dragon Tail them out. Now THAT's really good for screwing around with the opponent. If not, Qwilfish usually takes them on very well, and just about everything on my team bar Cryogonal can if I can get a burn in on them.

Also for Mandibuzz, I would experiment with a balanced EV spread on both defenses and see what happens. I used to do that with her on PO and it worked well for a similar set you have (bar knock off, opted for U-turn making her a scouter) and it made her a bit more survivable in the long run, although it really depends on what you are facing and in this tier...it's a lot of different types that are viable.

Overall, I like it a lot dude. Good work.

I have been fooling around with Def EVs lately, trying to find a good stat to be at. Still, I've found having max SpD very useful for taking on random special attackers.

Thanks!

Tabares

Banned
I'm no expert at RU, but couldn't ferroseed work > Steelix, imo more bulk and with leech seed works more into the full stall play of this team