• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Luigi's Mansion Series

I recently managed to get through a 25-Floor Normal Hunter Scarescraper/Thrill Tower.

As for me, I'm a person who likes to attack and run after the battle, only stopping to pick up keys and health.

KillerDraco

I don't do so well in the Scarescraper, I really like taking my time and tackling each mansion slowly and the transition to the online multiplayer doesn't work well.

Same. A central feature of both Luigi's Mansion games was the fact that there was so much to explore, and so many little things to discover, which made it beneficial to take your time and comb over every inch of every room.

But then the online multiplayer is just... something different altogether. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but after playing through the story, it definitely feels like a complete 180 in terms of play style needed.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Nope. Four of us should trade friend codes and set a time when to tackle it. Although it would be hard to get in contact one another. I have a solution but discussing it breaks one of the forum's rules...

Whatever it is, I'd be down for it, provided it's free. PM me.

I don't do so well in the Scarescraper, I really like taking my time and tackling each mansion slowly and the transition to the online multiplayer doesn't work well.
Same. A central feature of both Luigi's Mansion games was the fact that there was so much to explore, and so many little things to discover, which made it beneficial to take your time and comb over every inch of every room.

As odd is this sounds, have you tried Rush Mode? That's actually almost exactly the strategy you'd need for it: taking your time and searching the furniture in every room thoroughly to make sure you have enough Timepieces to make it to the exit hatch.

If pure ghost-hunting doesn't appeal to you, you may want to try that.

But then the online multiplayer is just... something different altogether. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but after playing through the story, it definitely feels like a complete 180 in terms of play style needed.

See, me, I've probably spent more time on the multiplayer than in the single-player (I'm up to Mission B-2).

As for me, I'm a person who likes to attack and run after the battle, only stopping to pick up keys and health.

My playstyle is... fickle, I guess. I'm the type to separate from the group and look for ghosts on my own, and thankfully I'm competent enough to succeed. The way I see it, two or three people in a single room shouldn't have any problem (excepting boss fights, mind), so my going off on my own to either hunt ghosts separately or just look for cash/health/keys/a position for Red Coin Scramble probably serves the team better than following everyone else and clogging up doorways and wardrobes and such. I'll answer calls for help, of course, and I'll press onward into the mansion if everyone is being incompetent/not having a key, but I see my role as acting as a separate entity serving a greater team.

Yeah, I kind of use that play style as well. I only slow down in Rush mode to pick up Timepieces and gold, but aside from that, I like to work alone and get as many ghosts as I can. I also only choose to stay in the same dark room as others if it's one of the only ones open or if I'm fighting the boss.

So I was playing Thrill Tower/ScareScraper and it was me and one other person doing 25F normal hunter mode. Now this person wasn't a great player but he/she would check every item in the room and check the whole place with dark light, but whenever he/she got the key to the final door he/she would take forever to open it and would check the whole floor for the crappy bombs. On the 20th floor the time was so short by the time he/she opened the door that I had less than 10 seconds to defeat 2 reds and 3 greens, I made it just as the clock hit 0. I was alone and was screaming at my 3DS, I hope never to run into him/her again.

That happened to me once on a 10-Floor normal Scarescraper. I was playing to get all the bosses, when I find an empty tower with another player- 'staffie', I think it is. Not knowing what would happen, I entered the tower.

It was only a matter of time before he proved his uselessness. It was floor 2, and we were each going our respective ways on the floor. Without realising, he picked up a pumpkin. I took nothing of it and continued on, but soon enough, he starts to call for help. I tried to show him how to dislodge it. It was only after I accidentally got a bomb to hit him that it was dislodged. The next floor, he wandered an entire room with a key while I stood by a locked door yelling 'Hey!'. Finally, he opened it, but with a little bit of time remaining. On the boss floor, he then had the nerve to disconnect while I was low on HP and struggling.

cybersonic233

got this game yesterday really wondering why there is no Second Circle Pad support as at least an option would make it a lil bit easier tbh

Aegon

I've just finished the main game. It was highly enjoyable and I'd class it as one of my favourite 3DS titles. I've unlocked all of the upgrades for the Poltergust 5000, but I'm not sure if I'll be replaying the missions for three star rankings immediately. I only managed to do it for four or five missions as I played through the game.

ysmr97

I haven't gotten New Moon yet! >_< Can any one tell me if it's at all like the first, one of my favorite games of all time?

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
^It's a lot different, but I've played the first and I'd honestly say the second is better. There's no cool portrait ghosts, so there's a larger focus on puzzling, which I came to admire.

Did anyone have the hardest time getting the spiky thing into the venus flytrap in the jungle part of E-2? Because I shot it like 50 times at the thing, to no avail, after finding the first toad... And, it still didn't work. So I restarted.

Maedar

Banned
When you first see that flytrap, you can't beat it. You have to leave and come back later when you open all the portals.

When you open them all, you'll be able to bring the bucket from the Dark Age Exhibit, then fill it, then water the plant on the lower part of the room. It will grow and sprout one of the fruits that you used against these monsters in the second mansion. Then you can defeat the plant and save the Toad.

Edit: Oh, you did that? Well, IMOHO, I'd suggest rescuing this Toad FIRST, and THEN the one in the Ice Age Exhibit. It's easier to beat the plant if the guy isn't following you.

Torpoleon

Just got the game today and I've made good progress in the game. Unlocked Scarescraper, but I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe sometime later this weekend I'll try it. If not, definitely next weekend maybe some of us could get together to play!

Is it alright if everyone puts story-related stuff in spoilers? I wouldn't want myself or someone else accidentally finding out what to do here!

Maedar

Banned
I've just finished the main game. It was highly enjoyable and I'd class it as one of my favourite 3DS titles. I've unlocked all of the upgrades for the Poltergust 5000, but I'm not sure if I'll be replaying the missions for three star rankings immediately. I only managed to do it for four or five missions as I played through the game.

I noticed your post. I should tell you, getting a three-star rank on some of them is very, very hard.

For example, I take it you know how hard the Boss Battle with Big Boo is? To get a three star on that, you need to do it in under four minutes, AND take absolutely NO damage. Even harder than it sounds.

Torpoleon

I beat the main game today. It's such an awesome game and definitely my favorite 3DS game and one of my favorite games of all time. There are so many great moments. Still need to get all the Boos, Gems & Scarescraper Ghosts (which means I'll probably be playing Scarescraper a lot after all Boos & Gems are collected). Also would like 3 stars on all missions. Of course I know that some will be very hard!

TheEliteEmpoleon

I picked up the game, finally! So far I've beaten the first four levels, and they were great. Mainly I go through and get all the collectibles in a level on my first try, and get three stars in the mission on the next try. The ScareScraper is awesome, too. I've only played one round, and on floor 14 or something three of us fainted, and the one who was left couldn't control his curse, so he bailed on us. I'm going to be on the ScareScraper for a while, and later I'll go back to the Dark Moon Quest.

I''ll be down for doing the ScareScraper with anyone. Just run your FC by me!

Maedar

Banned
Hey,

I finished the main game, and I'm working on a new goal: Trying to get a three-star ranking on every mission.

I've found a site that gives the "formula" on how to do that, btw.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/632930-luigis-mansion-dark-moon/faqs/66895

As you can see, this shows how the score is added up, and how you need a certain score to get it. Admittedly, not easy. Still, I've thus far managed to get three stars on all the missions in the first and second Mansion and most of the third by now, and it gets a lot easier when you start to find out just where everything is.

Torpoleon

Hey,

I finished the main game, and I'm working on a new goal: Trying to get a three-star ranking on every mission.

I've found a site that gives the "formula" on how to do that, btw.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/632930-luigis-mansion-dark-moon/faqs/66895

As you can see, this shows how the score is added up, and how you need a certain score to get it. Admittedly, not easy. Still, I've thus far managed to get three stars on all the missions in the first and second Mansion and most of the third by now, and it gets a lot easier when you start to find out just where everything is.
Wow, thanks! This looks pretty helpful. I'll be sure to use it when I try to 3-star missions.

I've collected all Boos & Gems, so the only things left for me to do in the game are 3 star every mission and collect all ScareScraper Ghosts. Not sure how many missions I have 3 stars in, though I think I have about 3 ScareScraper Ghosts.

Chaos Werewolf

Fairy trainer
tricking the Boss to hold still while you drop something on its head best weakness ever! the other two of that mansion were also pretty sweet.

Maedar

Banned
tricking the Boss to hold still while you drop something on its head best weakness ever! the other two of that mansion were also pretty sweet.

Yeah, but by far, my favorite Boss in the game is the first one, the Grouchy Possessor.