• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lumiose City Pursuit! (805)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Ok, now I have a major qualm with the dub. I just watched the official premier of the episode and I don't get why they had to change the music. Not only was it perfectly fine the way it was, but this new music doesn't fit with the music of the games and is sometimes louder than the dialogue

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
In the US a new episode has airing. Can you answer this questions.
1) How loud is the volume of the BGM?
-Very Low
-Low
-Middle
-High
-Very High

2) How Japanese BGM is kept in the episode?
-All the Japanese BGM is kept and no dub music added (XY 1-2).
-All most or all Japanese BGM is kept but dub music is added to fill silence.
-The dub replaces a lot of the BGM in the episode.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Ok so some lines were replaced. I know from the preview Ash said something like "Anyone who doesn't want you is crazy" to Froakie which was not the same here. also the guy in the mask may have had a new voice but not sure.

I didn't see a To Be Continued showing either which is very odd.

Was hoping more Team Rocket focus would be happening but sadly no...

Vernikova

Champion
A lot of people I talk to seem to like the dub music and I think it's okay too.

The episode itself was pretty enjoyable though I miss the machine gun Hyper Beam (or maybe I don't?) Either way, I liked the episode and the dub is off to a good start relatively speaking.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
A lot of people I talk to seem to like the dub music and I think it's okay too.

The episode itself was pretty enjoyable though I miss the machine gun Hyper Beam (or maybe I don't?) Either way, I liked the episode and the dub is off to a good start relatively speaking.

Ok, the music wasn't absolutely terrible, & it felt more like the music used for OS, but my only problem is that after hearing the RAW music for so long, the new music doesn't fit with the mood & the setting for the episodes. Plus, sometimes the music is so loud that it overpowers the dialogue, making it seem amateurish

Pokegirl0102

I wish people would really stop complaining about the BgM's already, like someone stated last week the english music composers wouldn't have jobs if they were to leave things they were like in the RAW, i personalty prefer the dub music over the raw music, the dub over the raw overall which is why i watch the dub. XY is getting off to a great start and i can't wait for the true new episode next week.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It was an alright episode. I still love Bonnie's dub voice and Serena's voice is starting to grow on me a little, she sounded less like Iris here imo. The animation is really good too.
7/10

I watched this episode again and I still really enjoyed it. I love how much they were able to fit in during the 21 minutes they had. They gave us backstory on Froakie, information about Mega Evolution, a TR attack, Garchomp's rampage, a few scenes with Serena, Mega Blaziken saving the day and I have to say it all felt REALLY well paced. I was really impressed with how well paced it was. I didn't feel like any scene should have been any longer or shorter than it was. And for the second episode of the season, it was very intense. We usually don't really see the show get this action packed this quickly but this really felt like an episode that would show up later in the series if this was any other saga. I would say the only real problem I had with this episode was how TR was handled here. They were really only here as plot devices, but they did their job in getting Garchomp to rampage. So overall, it was a very strong episode.

matt0044

Plus, sometimes the music is so loud that it overpowers the dialogue, making it seem amateurish

Honestly, the dub seems to lower the overall BGM for some reason. It's not totally inaudible but I still find it weird.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
like someone stated last week the english music composers wouldn't have jobs if they were to leave things they were like in the RAW

They've left the music completely intact before during some BW episodes and even a few DP ones if I remember correctly. So that excuse doesn't work. They're just changing the music for no reason; we know that they have the rights to the original tracks since they were used during the sneak peek of the first XY episode, so they're just wasting resources by replacing those tracks and composing new ones.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally got to see the dub of this episode since it clarified things that I didn't understand while watching the original version. I'm still surprised that so much happened in this episode; I mean that casual visit to Professor Sycamore's lab, the Garchomp incident at the Prism Tower, and then the scenes where Serena recognized Ash on television. The whole thing was pulled off well and even though I preferred the first XY episode, this one was still decent.

NPT

Just a member
They messed up the music again ? Geez, I was hoping that they'd keep the original BGM for the first 5 episodes of XY, but it seems like they wouldn't do it. I don't see the point of replacing the original game/movie music with such unfitting dub music. Heck, I won't mind if they added dub music to fill the silence while still keeping the japanese music.... but it seems like they're gonna change the music just for the heck of it.

I'm thinking they changed up the music to adjust the anime for English viewers, especially for its target audience. I mean, I doubt any dubbing company would change anything just for the heck of it.

I think just replacing the Japanese voices with english voices is enough to adjust the anime for the english viewers, there's no need to change the original music for that.

Edit: What's up with the dub lowering the music ? Seriously, they need to raise the volume of the BGM.

Last edited:
I think just replacing the Japanese voices with English voices is enough to adjust the anime for the english viewers, there's no need to change the original music for that.

Well, I doubt that there's no reason for the dubbing company to change the music. There's always a reason for everything.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Well, I doubt that there's no reason for the dubbing company to change the music. There's always a reason for everything.

Don't most kid anime do it? Maybe they think kids won't like the japanese music since it is not normal to them or something. I'll be honest I can't watch japanese yugioh or digimon since I'm so used to the dub bgm

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.

I think that the cost of producing new tracks for the dubs is way more cheaper than paying the music to JASRAC which have expensive taxes. I think that getting the BGM cost more than 10000$ a single episode. Which means that creating a set of tracks by his own are being cheaper than paying the soundtrack of JASRAC. In movies, and special events (like special premieres), the BGM is kept but apparently TPCI only paid the soundtrack of the special premiere, not the entire pack opf episodes.

This is the reason why unlike the gamnes, the "japanese version" doesn't air in Japan and the dubs comes from the English and not Japanese version. There's no legal way to watch an episode in Japanese in Europe (the English version can be watched in UK, through dual and through the English official website).

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Meh, american dub is worst thing to happen to the Pokémon series and sadly it's the version that's used as raw material for other foreign dubbings.

Japanese BGMs & insert songs are 1000 times better. Therefore, I'm still going to watch XY with subs.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Meh, american dub is worst thing to happen to the Pokémon series and sadly it's the version that's used as raw material for other foreign dubbings.

Japanese BGMs & insert songs are 1000 times better. Therefore, I'm still going to watch XY with subs.

You are overreacting way too much. For a kid's anime it is normal. Only weeaboos are the ones who care and if that is the case watch the japanese and quit complaining about a children's anime aimed at kids. If using dub music means less time dubbing or less cost for faster dubbing I'd take it. Want a bad dub? go watch the Inazuma Eleven dub. That is pretty much the only dub I'll let people bash

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
You are overreacting way too much. For a kid's anime it is normal. Only weeaboos are the ones who care and if that is the case watch the japanese and quit complaining about a children's anime aimed at kids. If using dub music means less time dubbing or less cost for faster dubbing I'd take it. Want a bad dub? go watch the Inazuma Eleven dub. That is pretty much the only dub I'll let people bash

The yugioh zexal dub is honestly pretty bad too. I don't know anyone that hasn't thought differently.

matt0044

I think that the cost of producing new tracks for the dubs is way more cheaper than paying the music to JASRAC which have expensive taxes. I think that getting the BGM cost more than 10000$ a single episode. Which means that creating a set of tracks by his own are being cheaper than paying the soundtrack of JASRAC. In movies, and special events (like special premieres), the BGM is kept but apparently TPCI only paid the soundtrack of the special premiere, not the entire pack opf episodes.

This is the reason why unlike the gamnes, the "japanese version" doesn't air in Japan and the dubs comes from the English and not Japanese version. There's no legal way to watch an episode in Japanese in Europe (the English version can be watched in UK, through dual and through the English official website).

FUNimation does it and their Anime release are straight to DVD.

Vernikova

Champion
FUNimation does it and their Anime release are straight to DVD.

They're selling stuff to people who probably want the original music included. I doubt Pokemon's banking on its DVD sales slone to keep them afloat like FUNi does.