• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lunala VS UB: BLACK! A Battle at Full Moon!! (1031)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
My guess is they couldn't use their Z-Moves so soon after using them last episode, especially with Z-Moves being powered down. And none of the attacks were doing anything, Necrozma was even shrugging off attacks from Lunala and Solgaleo, it was only Solgaleo's Sunsteel Strike that even seemed to do anything and it only broke Necrozma's bond with Lunala, Necrozma was still fine afterwards. Kiawe also pointed out that Prismatic Laser was too dangerous for them and they had to pull back.
Even if their attacks weren't doing any damage to Necrozma, they still could have served as somewhat of a distraction, since it would have to deal with them as well as with Lunala and Solgaleo. All of the Ultra Guardians' Pokémon (and Ride Pokémon) have long-range attacks, so they didn't have to get too close to Necrozma to attack.

andrewscott48209

Even if their attacks weren't doing any damage to Necrozma, they still could have served as somewhat of a distraction, since it would have to deal with them as well as with Lunala and Solgaleo. All of the Ultra Guardians' Pokémon (and Ride Pokémon) have long-range attacks, so they didn't have to get too close to Necrozma to attack.

That may be, but there is a possibility that there won't be enough Ultra Aura to fully heal Lunala afterwards. Because I believe that Ultra Aura is the key to the power of a Z Move. That's probably why they can only use a Z Move one time in a battle, as it takes a while for the Z Ring to recharge. The strength of the bond between trainer and pokémon, and whether they are going all out determines how much Ultra Aura the Z Rings draw out. This may also explain how Ash and Pikachu are able to use the 10,000,000 volt thunderbolt one time, and they use Gigavolt Havoc another time. When they aren't going all out in a battle, or they are just showing off, the concentration of Ultra Aura won't be that great, and they will use Gigavolt Havoc. However, when they are pushed to their limit, the concentration of Ultra Aura will be so great, that the 10,000,000 volt Thunderbolt will be unlocked.

This may also explain why the first Electrium Z crystal shattered. When Ash and Pikachu pulled off the Gigavolt Havoc, the ring drew in more Ultra Aura than the crystal can take, thereby shattering after the first use. This also explains what happened in episode 19. When Ash and Pikachu were going all out on that large hamster wheel, the ring started drawing in Ultra Aura, causing an explosion. And when Ash was battling Tapu Koko, when they had their backs to the wall, the Z ring started glowing again and drawing in Ultra Aura. The only reason that the Electrium Z crystal didn't change into the Pikashunium Z crystal was probably because the original Z ring didn't have the power to do so.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
This episode was really average. For an episode that's supposed to up the stakes, it felt off. A lot of the episode was basically the UG in a glorified chase in pursuit of Lunala and Necrozma. Even Tapu Koko appears for a few seconds, hits Necrozma, stares at it and then goes off. Infact, this episode has a lot of staring for some reason.

The Team Rocket elite force was pretty useless as well. Throwing a couple of electromagnetic nets that were easily broken by Lunala and Solgaleo, before getting hit once and fleeing. Also, Matori Matrix? That's a seriously stupid name. And seriously, how does it take nearly half an episode for Necrozma to subdue Lunala but manages to subdue Solgaleo in like a minute.

And in a moment of DEM, everyone's Z Rings start glowing and restore Lunala back to full health.

I give this episode 6/10. Poor pacing, and too much focus on chasing. Best part of the episode was hearing the DWN/DMN and Solagelo/Lunala themes.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
And seriously, how does it take nearly half an episode for Necrozma to subdue Lunala but manages to subdue Solgaleo in like a minute.

Because Solgaleo was injured? It was hurt and left behind in the previous episode, and it protected Ash from the net plus being captured later. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sunsteel Strike also caused some recoil. Hitting a tough opponent has got to have some negative effects.

And in a moment of DEM, everyone's Z Rings start glowing and restore Lunala back to full health.

It's a Deus ex Machina when the Pokemon that's associated with Ultra Aura absorbs the stuff to heal itself?

Literally saw this on the mural in the previous episode.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
So underwhelmed by this episode. I havent seen alot of the Ultra adventures because i pretty much gave up on the series. but i guess i was curious and tuned in this morning and dont know whats going on, but from what i saw didn't impress me at all.

- So the dub pretty much gave Lunala the generic cry. The same cry other legendaries made. Couldn't even come up with a unique one.
- Even when it and the other legendary (forgot its name) merged, they gave it Palka's cry??!! like WTF?? that's why i loved Palkia, cuz of its cry was unique. And they re-use it?
- The animation was and still is messed up. just badly. Never got used to it.
-The dialogue is just as bad as it was back in the DP days.
- I had hoped that this Gen would match the others like 1, 3, and 5 but was severly disappointed. Not even getting my hopes up for Gen 8. especially if this animation is gonna stay the same and PUSA continues to dub it.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
So underwhelmed by this episode. I havent seen alot of the Ultra adventures because i pretty much gave up on the series. but i guess i was curious and tuned in this morning and dont know whats going on, but from what i saw didn't impress me at all.

- So the dub pretty much gave Lunala the generic cry. The same cry other legendaries made. Couldn't even come up with a unique one.
- Even when it and the other legendary (forgot its name) merged, they gave it Palka's cry??!! like WTF?? that's why i loved Palkia, cuz of its cry was unique. And they re-use it?
- The animation was and still is messed up. just badly. Never got used to it.
-The dialogue is just as bad as it was back in the DP days.
- I had hoped that this Gen would match the others like 1, 3, and 5 but was severly disappointed. Not even getting my hopes up for Gen 8. especially if this animation is gonna stay the same and PUSA continues to dub it.
not sure about lunala, but dawn wings necrozma also used palkia's (actually mothra's I think) cry in the original

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
not sure about lunala, but dawn wings necrozma also used palkia's (actually mothra's I think) cry in the original
Yeah, while the dub does have a weird tendency to redub Pokémon that really shouldn't need it (Zeraora, Togedemaru, Eevee... Basically any Pokémon whose Japanese name is the same as their English name), they don't typically change the voices of Pokémon who aren't even voiced to begin with. I think. So Lunala and Necrozma's cries are presumably the same in all versions. I think. I haven't checked, to be fair.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
So I guess Necrozma is an Ultra Beast after all. The games weren't clear about that, though that was probably on purpose.

Well, once more a Legendary has a stock monster voice as its voice. You don't need to make every Legendary sound like Toho's repertoire of monsters, Status QuOLM. Also, quit stealing the Boga cry from Revenge of the Sith already. You used it for enough sagas and movies.

Not only does Matori keep her JP name, but so does Gozu. Good to see TPCi finally notice them. It was a hassle having to call them generic stuff these past few years.

"It absorbed Solgaleo, and then disappeared..."
Hala, I know you're afflicted by the negativity thing, but we the audience have eyes that saw what Necrozma did.

Didn't miss Samson's awful-in-any-language puns at all.

The music during the absorption scene was fantastic, as was the track for when Tapu Koko arrived. However, I must admit I would've liked the Necrozma vs Lunala battle to have some new music other than the usual stuff. That was the only weakness of this episode's music.

Things have started to get interesting.

TPCi abandoned that name an entire decade ago.

Vipsoccermaster

Fine episode. The battles with Necrozma, Lunala, and Solgaleo were all intense, of course. The Ultra Gaurdians didn't seem to do much in this episode, only to get involved in the fight for a bit and heal Lunala, especially with the Z-Rings from Ash, Kiawe, Lana, and Gladion.

A bit disappointing that Tapu Fini didn't appear at all. The Poni Island Kahuna had no need to appear, because this is taking place before Poni Island. Well actually, there isn't a Kahuna for Poni Island.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It's kind of weird that Lillie and Gladion say UltRoger Lusamine instead of UltRoger mom (or mother)

The MATORI MATRIX! Glad they finally confirmed her dub name is the same as her original name.

Why are they talking so much in the middle of the battle? Necrozma is going to attack them while they talk. Focus!!

The Matori Matrix were too easy to defeat.

Lusamine did her hair now.

Overall, my main thought at the end of this episode is wondering whether Nanu is going to be a good or bad guy considering that he's Giovanni's associate. He also seemed to be taking his praying less seriously than the other two even to the point that Acerola was upset with him.

After that, the rest of the episode was to heal the weakened Lunala at Aether Paradise

It was actually in the school basement (UG HQ)

Zapdos was weakened from battling against Ash’s Noivern which made it easier for the TRio to capture it

Yup Mr. Big and Reliable sure can be powerful enough to do that!

The alternate world in which Ash&Co. take care of Nebby as a Lunala :) they just don't know yet how strong of a bond they have with it yet! That's my theory :p

Maybe it's the Movies 20+21 AU

That may be, but there is a possibility that there won't be enough Ultra Aura to fully heal Lunala afterwards. Because I believe that Ultra Aura is the key to the power of a Z Move. That's probably why they can only use a Z Move one time in a battle, as it takes a while for the Z Ring to recharge. The strength of the bond between trainer and pokémon, and whether they are going all out determines how much Ultra Aura the Z Rings draw out. This may also explain how Ash and Pikachu are able to use the 10,000,000 volt thunderbolt one time, and they use Gigavolt Havoc another time. When they aren't going all out in a battle, or they are just showing off, the concentration of Ultra Aura won't be that great, and they will use Gigavolt Havoc. However, when they are pushed to their limit, the concentration of Ultra Aura will be so great, that the 10,000,000 volt Thunderbolt will be unlocked.

This may also explain why the first Electrium Z crystal shattered. When Ash and Pikachu pulled off the Gigavolt Havoc, the ring drew in more Ultra Aura than the crystal can take, thereby shattering after the first use. This also explains what happened in episode 19. When Ash and Pikachu were going all out on that large hamster wheel, the ring started drawing in Ultra Aura, causing an explosion. And when Ash was battling Tapu Koko, when they had their backs to the wall, the Z ring started glowing again and drawing in Ultra Aura. The only reason that the Electrium Z crystal didn't change into the Pikashunium Z crystal was probably because the original Z ring didn't have the power to do so.

Excellent analysis

that's why i loved Palkia, cuz of its cry was unique. And they re-use it?

yeah it's also the same cry as Obi-Wan's creature from Utapau

Gen V was worse than this.

I know you said you haven't watched the anime in a while but my goodness how much you revealed yourself here by using this term.

Fine episode. The battles with Necrozma, Lunala, and Solgaleo were all intense, of course. The Ultra Gaurdians didn't seem to do much in this episode, only to get involved in the fight for a bit and heal Lunala, especially with the Z-Rings from Ash, Kiawe, Lana, and Gladion.

A bit disappointing that Tapu Fini didn't appear at all. The Poni Island Kahuna had no need to appear, because this is taking place before Poni Island. Well actually, there isn't a Kahuna for Poni Island.

If there isn't a Kahuna for Poni Island it explains why Tapu Fini didn't appear. It shouldn't even have been expected to appear in that case.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Why does Dawn Wing Necrozma have Palkia's cry!? I love Palkia's cry, but it's so specific, don't go giving it to other things. I kept thinking Palkia was just off-screen.

Anyways, this episode was a little worse than the previous. This is probably the episode that suffered from them trying to fill four episode worth of time, but not quite having enough content. It was still better than most other Sun and Moon episodes, but I was expecting things to get better after the first episode, not worse. They could have at least fleshed out the Legendary battle. I would have enjoyed a more in-depth fight between Solgaleo and Dusk Wings Necrozma.

Team Rocket was also a little on the boring side. I hope that they have more planned for them than this. Speaking of Team Rocket, I believe that this is the first time that the dub has referred to her as Matori. I only just learnt that was her name a couple of months ago, so that's kind of ironic timing.

It's officially not an Ultra Beast, as evidenced by the dex saying it's reminiscent of Ultra Beasts by its looks. For that matter, Beast Balls don't work well on it.

I don't know about that. Ultra Sun and Moon seems to make it clear that it is indeed an Ultra Beast, even if they never directly state it. They definitely make it seem like it originated from Ultra Space, and its Ultra Sun Pokédex description flat-out says it comes from another world. So, if it comes from Ultra Space, that, by definition, makes it an Ultra Beast. The Pokédex description you're referring to was likely written to call to attention the fact Necrozma is in some way related to the Ultra Beasts, without actually saying that it is.

And as far as the Beast Balls go, that's probably just an arbitrary gameplay restriction, and not indicative of lore. Lunala and Solgaleo are also Ultra Beasts, and the Beast Ball doesn't work on them either.

The anime takes liberties, but I don't think they would flat out call Necrozma an Ultra Beast if it wasn't.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Necrozma (or more specifically, Necrozma's alternate forms) is also classified as an Ultra Beast in the TCG... And I think the only reason regular Necrozma isn't, is because that card was printed before the Ultra Beast mechanic was introduced.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Necrozma (or more specifically, Necrozma's alternate forms) is also classified as an Ultra Beast in the TCG... And I think the only reason regular Necrozma isn't, is because that card was printed before the Ultra Beast mechanic was introduced.

Meant to bring that one up too. I agree with that assessment.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Why are they talking so much in the middle of the battle? Necrozma is going to attack them while they talk. Focus!!
Everybody knows that in any anime, time freezes whenever a character talks. Talking is a free action.

Anyway. it's out in Dutch. Kind of weird that Wicke says Lunala needs to go to a pokémon centre and that Burnet then says the closest one is underneath the pokémon school. Like, that's not a pokémon centre. I don't know if the English also has Wicke specifically calling for a pokémon centre, but I don't think the Japanese does. It's a weird translation liberty that just doesn't fit at all.

Disappointed with the dub music in this episode. It just lacks tension and excitement, it's all stuff that Goldfarb often plays at more laid-back and casual scenes and it really drags down the tension felt in the episode and the perceived threat of Necrozma. Solgaleo appearing has this cool legendary battle theme playing in Japanese, while in the dub it's some weird choice that doesn't fit at all. The opening with Lunala and Necrozma appearing above the Altar of the Sunne also has no tense music, it's just the generic Ultra Guardians music that Goldfarb usually plays at their departure from the pokémon school. I get that the Ultra Guardians depart here too, but it'd have been much better to remix it and give a lot more tension to it here. There's a freaking super-legendary pokémon out there being chased by an unknown black prism monster. Let the music reflect that this isn't an everyday situation.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I think that an Ultra beast with those kind of absorbing / take over abilities is too over powered. But then again if the legends and stories are true then maybe the darkend one is trying to absorb enough to become the blinding one again?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looking back, Necrozma really seemed to be one of the stronger Legendaries that we've seen in the anime so far judging by how ineffective most of Lunala and Solgaleo's attacks were against it in this episode.