• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lures of a Legend (One-Shot, PG)

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Hey there! I'm not so new to the fanfic section, but I may be unfamiliar due to my amazing inactivity here. This is my second work that I've posted, and it's just a simple one-shot. I feel that things are wrong with it and need to be fixed, but I'm just not sure what needs fixing or how I can fix it. Please, if you'll post, give me some advice I can work with. So, I hope you enjoy! And if you don't, I'll do my penance for my sin.

Lures of a Legend

The snow crunched underfoot as Eltheo walked over and picked up the corpse. There was some blood flowing into the white, puffed fur. Wrenching the arrow out of the delicate body of the little Buneary, Eltheo put the slender piece of wood back into his quiver and looked up.

Snowflakes were gently falling onto the ground from the afternoon sky, continuously layering it with more frozen water crystals. Eltheo was suppose to come outside and hunt for his family, for though it was already winter, the autumn hunting had proved rather unsuccessful, and the boy, who would be a man within less than a year, had to go hunt during the harsher weather of winter to feed those he lived with.

He sighed deeply, yet again feeling that small amount of hopelessness as his dream was dashed yet again. Stuffing the Pokémon into a bag, which he slung over a shoulder, he began to descend the mountain slope toward his home. The sweet scent of pines filled his nostrils as he walked under the cover, his chestnut-brown hair ruffling a little as a slight breeze blew in his face.

I know you're real, the boy thought sorrowfully. He knew, of course, as well as some other villagers, but not everybody believed it. Some villagers would feel rather lifted at the thought of hunting and bagging the beast, but others believed it to be only a legend. Nonsense, some had called it. Why would anyone believe that--Eltheo's recollections were interrupted, and his face blanched.

A flash of hooves, a branch of antlers! Eltheo had seen it, he knew, without a doubt, that the creature had passed not five meters from him! Spirits lifting, the boy promptly dropped the bag of dead creatures and sprinted the way it had passed. Ecstasy turned his frown into a grin, and as he sprinted through the forest, Eltheo tastefully pictured himself presenting the Pokémon to the other villagers. How their eyes would burn with jealousy, how their breath would catch with disbelief! Eltheo relished the thought of it.

The boy came to a stop as the trees cleared away, trying to make his breathing as soft as possible. His amber eyes were set on the Pokémon in the center of the clearing, drinking in the beast's appearance, and his gloved hands slowly reached for his bow.

The enormous, widespread antlers of the Mebukijika rocked as the great elk-like Pokémon strolled. Copious amounts of fluffed, cloud-white fur covered its chest, and the tail that wiggled at the end of its rear looked rather like cotton. The ebony-black hooves were hidden beneath the deep snow, but would show as the Pokémon lifted them clear off the layer on the ground. Eltheo could only think of this creature as magnificent, standing so tall and proud, looking so perfect. And yet, none of its characteristics compared with the one other that set it apart. What made this particular Mebukijika more significant than others was the fact that its fur, instead of being brown, as one would normally see in the winter, was white, like freshly-washed, unspoiled wool.

The lethal wood weapon now in his hands, Eltheo removed his right glove before he reached into his leather quiver for an arrow. He drew it out, and set it on the raised bow, pulling the string back until the Noctowl feathers were touching his cheek bone.

However, rather than loosing fire, he hesitated for a moment. He had been in such a hurry to kill the creature, but now he wasn't sure he absolutely wanted to. He would have loved to wear the Pokémon's coat as his own, and to have dined on its meat, but it seemed almost a shame to kill it. It was so beautiful, a creature of legend, and were legends not meant to be passed on down, to be seen with the eyes of others to keep them alive and fresh?

As Eltheo was pondering this, the Mebujikija noticed he was there. The Pokémon gracefully raised its great head, staring at the pale boy with large, benevolent eyes of liquid gold. Then, in a flurry of kicked-up snow, it was gone, and could be seen cantering through the trees far away.

Eltheo sprinted after it, thankful that there was no wind to slap his face and that snow wasn't falling very thickly. He dodged around the coniferous trees, trying to keep the Mebujikija in sight, but it was impossible after a few seconds as the Pokémon disappeared. This did not demoralize Eltheo, for the trail of hooves was clearly on the ground, showing the boy where the Pokémon had passed.

A stone, hidden beneath the thick blanket of snow on the ground, tripped Eltheo. He fell forward, but tried to break his fall by turning it into a roll. Perhaps this normally would've been a good idea, except that he wasn't aware of the sudden declining slope ahead of him. Tumbling down the hill, Eltheo reached the bottom and tried to get up, but had to kneel down due to his dizziness.

The boy wiped snow off his face, and looked around him. The trail of the Mebukijika had vanished, and Eltheo found himself in a valley, with cliffs sloping high above his head, every one completely white. The snow was falling more thickly now, and the boy pulled his fur coats around him more tightly as he, again, tried to stand. Succeeding in staying on his feet, Eltheo tried to grasp his surroundings. He had lost all sense of direction since following the white Mebukijika, and so he decided to head back into the forest.

After wondering through the woods for half-an-hour, Eltheo finally admitted that he did not know where to go. He was able to back-track his trail for a while, but it kept on growing fainter and fainter as snow continued to cover it. Eventually, he was no longer able to make out the path. The boy looked up at the sky, and all around him. Everything looked the same: White sky, white ground, white branches, white, white, white.... It seemed as if the world had become devoid of color. The only things that weren't colorless were the trees, with brown trunks and some visible needles, and his body.

Eltheo decided that the only thing he could do was to keep on walking; he was bound to find something familiar eventually. However, the longer he trotted on, the more tired and hungry he became. Often, he would lose his footing and fall down into the snow, and each time was harder to get up than the last. He dearly wished that he had never left behind his bag of game; his family would be so upset, and they would have to go with less food until the weather was okay for hunting again. He also wished he had his right glove back, as the uncovered hand was becoming numb from the cold, despite Eltheo slipping it inside his coat.

Once again, Eltheo left the woods, but when he came out onto cleared land, it didn't look familiar at all. The ground was rocky, and sloped downward into a valley before sloping upward in other parts. The boy buried his face in his coat as the wind, now very strong and blowing much snow, stung his face. It was as though somebody was taking icicles and jabbing them through his skin. Eltheo tried to walk back into the woods, but misplaced his foot and slid down the slope, landing in a heap in about half-a-meter of snow. The boy tried to stand, but his legs did not want to move, they would rather just curl up under the furs of his overcoat and rest. Shivering, Eltheo covered his head with hands, almost feeling as though he was going to cry. He was going to die, and he knew it. There was absolutely no way he would be able to regain his feet and walk back home; he was too tired and hungry. He shivered from the cold as he felt it numbing his body. Eltheo cursed violently as he lay there, cursing the Mebukijika and its legends that had made it so prized and wanted. It had been a magnificent creature, but sighting it was most certainly not worth dying for.

Closing his eyes, Eltheo thought of everybody he loved: his family, his friends, and everyone in his village. He wished there was some way he would be able to redeem himself for all the wrongs he had done them in the past, though it was becoming more difficult to remember what he had done. Allowing himself one last smile, Eltheo willed himself into his immolation as he gradually slipped into unconsciousness.

"I love you all..," he whispered these words gently, aware that they were his last, before his mind went blank.

The snowstorm felt nothing short of wonderful. Piercing, cold air and snowflakes pecking one as they flew was refreshing and exhilarating. To put it bluntly, it was perfect. His wings, thick with bright cerulean feathers, kept him warm, and any snowflakes that hit his eyes did not harm them. Flying through the mountains was nothing out of the norm for Articuno, yet it was an enjoyable pastime of which he was naturally suited for.

He saw something dark on the ground as he glided through the blizzard. Normally, he may have thought it to be a rock. But because he was flying low, he was able to make out that the figure was no stone; it had legs that were slightly apart, and was mostly covered in thick, chestnut-brown fur. This, in and of itself, was not unusual to happen, for many people and Pokémon died in the mountains. And yet, as though he felt it some sort of duty to examine the creature, Articuno tilted his wings and slowly flew down to the shape on the ground.

Close up, he was able to see that it was a human. The boy’s bangs, the same color as the coats he wore, fluttered before his unmoving eyelids. He had, apparently, not lain there for very long, for most of him was still visible above the snow. A faint trace of blood wafted around his body.

Articuno's piercing, crimson eyes stared at the human indifferently. The boy had killed mountain creatures, the bird knew. He had hunted and murdered the mountain's Pokémon in a season when they were most scarce, though this was not completely a bad thing. All creatures had to eat, and even Articuno would kill other Pokémon to fill his own stomach; it was the natural way of things. Feeling some empathy for the human, the enormous Pokémon grabbed the boy in his talons, and took off through the blizzard, leaving behind a hole in the snow blanket on the ground where the pair had once been.

Marya opened the door as soon as the snowstorm had calmed. She peered outside, concerned. Eltheo had not made it home yet, and the heavy blizzard had gone on for at least two hours. She had experienced first-hand the dangers being out in a snowstorm in the mountains, and realized how fortunate she was to still be alive. Worried that her son may have gotten lost out there, she was prepared to look for him, even though her chance of finding him was slim.

Upon pulling the door open, however, it became apparent that there was no need to go outside. Lying on the doorstep, with his hat and bow missing and face white, Eltheo lay. Whether he was asleep or unconscious, she knew not, but Marya made no hesitation in sweeping her son up in her arms and hustling inside with him.

The boy woke less than an hour later to find himself on the couch in the family room, with his mother holding a cup of heated soup. Ravenous, he had quickly devoured the mixture. After he had finished, he told his mother what had happened, from finding and catching the game to seeing and chasing the white Mebukijika up until he passed out. All while he told her this, he just tried to stare at anywhere but her, usually glancing guiltily at the floor or fidgeting with his pillow. Her face remained stony and expressionless, as though she was undecided on how she was to react to all this.

As to how he had wound up on the doorstep, he was every bit as surprised as his mother. He remembered passing out in the storm, and doubted he could have slept walked back home through it, especially when he had no idea where he had been.

When Eltheo finished telling the story, he slumped back on the couch and stared uncomfortably at his mother. Her expression had softened a little, and she took a seat down beside him. She was not as angry as Eltheo had anticipated; the lines on her face seemed a little more prominent at the prospect of less food, but she did allow herself a wan smile.

"I'm not as upset as I may have been, had I not been so concerned about you," she told her son. "I'm happy you're alive, and that really is what's most important right now. I don't totally blame you for getting lost."

"You don't?" Eltheo's eyes widened in slight disbelief as his mother wrapped her arms around him.

"No, I don't. Once, when I was a little older than you, I went on a hunting trip with my father. It was winter then, too, but it was fairly warm without as much snow as usual, and so my father thought it would be safe to try and hunt. Later on, we had gotten lost, and a strong snowstorm came. I felt certain that we were going to die, but then my father saw a giant bird, blue and shining in the sky. 'Follow the shining bird!' he shouted out. He had to shout, for it was impossible to hear each other otherwise. My father believed the bird to be good luck, and so we followed it. Eventually, we did get home after following it for around twenty minutes, but we had lost our bows, traps, and food in the snowstorm."

Marya sighed as she finished her monologue. She looked so weary and stressed that Eltheo's guilt formed a tight knot around his heart.

"I'm sorry I lost the food and chased after the Mebukijika. I should have known that I wouldn't have been able to bag something like that, anyway. I really am sorry, mom," Marya's son murmured sadly.

Marya just nodded her head a few times. "It's all right, Eltheo. We'll be more tightly pressed on food, but I think our family will be able to make it through until spring." She sighed again as she said, "I suppose it is partly my fault that you went after the white Mebukijika, and that I should have told you not to go after it when you saw it, or that it didn't exist. I didn't want to lie to you, but I had also doubted that you'd ever find it."

Eltheo’s dark eyebrows shot up in surprise. "You knew it existed?"

Giving out a small laugh, Eltheo's mother stood up as she replied, "Yes, I did. Going after it is the reason your grandfather and I got lost in the first place."

Last edited:

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
I loved your ability to describe the scene of the setting and the characters thoughts. The idea of a Pokemon game hunter is clever and original. The only problem with it is that it was kind of boring to read and had no exciting climax. (but I dont like reading that much) Overall I'll give it a 8/10. Good, not great, but certainly not average.

Last edited:

Breezy

The snow crunched underfoot as Eltheo walked over and picked up the corpse. There was some blood flowing into the white, puffed fur, but not very much. Wrenching the arrow out of the delicate body of the little Buneary, Eltheo put the slender piece of wood back into his quiver and looked up at the sky.

Snowflakes were gently falling onto the ground from the afternoon sky, continuously layering it with more frozen water crystals.
Stating that "not very much" blood is rather repetitious, given that you earlier said that it was only "some blood." You also reference "sky" twice in a short period of time when there's no need to. I would omit the first "sky."

I also find the clause "continuously layered it with more frozen water crystals" to be, well, obvious. If snow is falling down, as indicated in the first clause, then why bother mentioning where it's falling because, well, where else will it go? Plus "frozen water crystals?" A bit too poetic/purple prose don't you think?

Eltheo was supposed to come outside and hunt for his family, for though it was already winter, the autumn hunting had proved rather unsuccessful, and the boy, who would be a man within less than a year, had to go hunt during the harsher weather of winter to feed those he lived with.
Suppose. And kind of a weird statement to make (that he was suppose to come outside) since suppose indicates that he was told to do one thing but went off to do another. But Eltheo did what he was suppose to do, which was go out and hunt.

What was the point of the reader knowing that he's going to be a man in less than a year? It has no effect on the story, and "man" is a subjective term anyway so it doesn't give the reader any sort of indication how old the main character is. Given your time frame seems to be in a more primitive period, "man" could mean someone thirteen or fourteen rather than the contemporary view of a man being eighteen years old and older. But you could have meant a late teenager instead of someone younger (and I imagined Eltheo to be younger).

I know you're real, the boy thought sorrowfully. He knew, of course, as well as some other villagers, but not everybody believed it. Some villagers would feel rather lifted at the thought of hunting and bagging the beast, but others believed it to be only a legend. Nonsense, some had called it. Why would anyone believe that--Eltheo's recollections were interrupted, and his face blanched.
I get what you're trying to do here (foreshadow/set up the following scene) but this particular thought from Eltheo's just seemed random. Like why did he think of this now?

Ecstasy turned his frown into a grin of immense jubilance
I guess compared to other forms of grins...?

There was absolutely no way he would be able to regain his feet and walk back home; he was too tired and hungry.
But no hypothermia? I would think he would be more susceptible to that rather than hunger.

He saw something dark on the ground as he glided through the blizzard. Normally, he may have thought it to be a rock. But because he was flying low, he was able to make out that the figure was no stone
He could see through a blizzard? Or at least well enough to discern that gray, long blob, was actually legs?

All creatures had to eat, and even Articuno would kill other Pokémon to fill his own stomach; it was the natural way of things.
Now I know this is going into extremely nitpicky territory (not that I haven't already), but if the articuno knows about the natural order of things (kill or get killed), why did it go against the order and save the human who would have, probably, died? It's too coincidental (unlike the later articuno story which does seem more plausible).

Coffee-colored hair done up in a tight bun, body covered with a massive overcoat sewn from the skin of Piloswine, the maiden pulled the heavy door inward, and peered outside, concerned.
I don't know the time frame (again, assuming more primitive), but would they have coffee in this age? Why use an item to describe something that may not possibly exist.

The description of the mother is too random and unimportant to the action going on. Why should the reader care what the mother looks like more than, say, her worries? I'll get more into this later.

Giving out a small laugh, Eltheo's mother stood up as she replied, "Yes, I did. Going after it is the reason your father and I got lost in the first place."
Earlier you said it was Marya and Marya's father that got lost. Here you say it's Marya and Marya's husband (or Eltheo's father). Which one is it? Or ... is it something more ... um ... yeah. =P

Sometime ago during the HG/SS contest, I remember commenting on your one-shot. It said something along the lines of "while your description is finely detailed and beautifully written, you expand too much on sections that don't require so much detail and skimp on scenes that could use more expansion." I feel the same applies for this story. In my nitpick section, I pointed out a few areas that I found to be repetitive or obvious given the information you already supplied us. Knowing how to describe without relying on information dumps is an important skill, which you do wonderfully. The pacing on the story was a bit slower than needed, but the description within it flowed well from one item to the next. But at the same time, knowing when to make edits and how to shorten lengthier descriptions to get to the point is just as important.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of your characters. With a more intense scene, like chasing a pokemon, your focus should be less on the details of the snow and the setting and more on the action sequence and the thrill and feeling of the hunt. Contemplative moments where action is slower is when an examination of the world around the character seems more plausible (but at the same time, you shouldn't use this as an excuse to dump your setting on your reader).

At the same time, you have to figure out when it's important to expand on scenes and if you can make a "he did this, he did that, then he did this" useful. Example:

The boy woke less than an hour later to find himself on the couch in the family room, with his mother holding a cup of heated soup. Ravenous, he had quickly devoured the mixture. After he had finished, he told his mother what had happened, from finding and catching the game to seeing and chasing the white Mebukijika up until he passed out. All while he told her this, he just tried to stare at anywhere but her, usually glancing guiltily at the floor or fidgeting with his pillow. Her face remained stony and expressionless, as though she was undecided on how she was to react to all this.
This scene, I would assume, should be significant given that we thought the main character was going to die, but you fly past it with very skimp detail. You don't have to repeat the story we saw, but this could have been a very good time to build up character personality or the emotions that both mother and son had built up. You touch on this slightly (Eltheo feeling guilty, being fidgety), but you could have done so much more.

Actually, the problem may not lay with you overdoing description but you not doing anything more than that. You tell us what's happening. So what? Near the climax, I didn't really care that Eltheo was going to die because all you did was describe that he was tired and hungry and that he fell down a slope. You barely touched on the emotional aspect of fiction that connects the reader to the character. I didn't really care, nor understand, why finding the white mebujikija was so important to Eltheo. You didn't portray Eltheo as desperate with the mebijikija a source of hope. You show that he is, sure, but you didn't go any further than that.

Eltheo covered his head with hands, almost feeling as though he was going to cry. He was going to die, and he knew it. There was absolutely no way he would be able to regain his feet and walk back home; he was too tired and hungry.
This could have been a really powerful scene if you developed the emotional side of your story rather than the descriptive side, but you fly past it. Actually, that entire paragraph where Eltheo was thinking about his family was pretty rushed through. You jump from Eltheo cursing the mebujikija angrily to him thinking, lovingly, about his family without any transition between the two.

(Yes, I know he's about to pass out but still. You could have at least shown more desperation and panic while Eltheo was trying to find his way back).

Basically, you could have cut out a lot of the description (because you either stated it earlier or it's just not important) but should have focused more on the characters and their reactions to events. The problem, in my opinion, is that there is no connection between your characters and the reader because the bulk of the story is just basic plot points. There is barely any personality from Eltheo; we don't get the sense that he's hopeful when he finds the mebujikija, then desperate when he gets lost, then angry at getting lost and so on.

Again, nicely described with a nice theme, but you need to work on what's important to focus on in your story and what you can be more lenient with. Characters are what sell the stories; if the reader isn't invested/doesn't care for the character, then they won't care about the plot no matter how creative it is.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Rofl, my first reaction upon seeing that you posted this was "Yes, it's Breezy!" Even more oddly, the night I finished writing and editing this I had a dream you reviewed this and put "You have a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes." I just found that funny for some reason.

P.S., I am writing down every bit of advice you give me so that I will improve. And I do feel guilty about this--if it sounds like I'm being too comfortable, I'm not, I'm squiriming on the inside.

Stating that "not very much" blood is rather repetitious, given that you earlier said that it was only "some blood." You also reference "sky" twice in a short period of time when there's no need to. I would omit the first "sky."

I also find the clause "continuously layered it with more frozen water crystals" to be, well, obvious. If snow is falling down, as indicated in the first clause, then why bother mentioning where it's falling because, well, where else will it go? Plus "frozen water crystals?" A bit too poetic/purple prose don't you think?
Dang, purple prose was what I trying to get out of, but I didn't want to keep using the word "snow" and still describe the scene, so I added that bit.

What was the point of the reader knowing that he's going to be a man in less than a year? It has no effect on the story, and "man" is a subjective term anyway so it doesn't give the reader any sort of indication how old the main character is. Given your time frame seems to be in a more primitive period, "man" could mean someone thirteen or fourteen rather than the contemporary view of a man being eighteen years old and older. But you could have meant a late teenager instead of someone younger (and I imagined Eltheo to be younger).
I said that because I wanted to give people a vague idea of his age, but I couldn't find something suitable for his age and have reviewers say "a guy that age wouldn't be that stupid/be able to do something like that", so I put it in that way so it could possibly fit whatever criteria he would be in.

I get what you're trying to do here (foreshadow/set up the following scene) but this particular thought from Eltheo's just seemed random. Like why did he think of this now?
To show other peoples' reactions, and because he was thinking about how he didn't see it again and was disappointed and imaged something else and this run on sentence isn't doing me any good.

I guess compared to other forms of grins...?
Fake grins, i imagine, where one could pretending to be smiling but they weren't, though I know that here it wouldn't be necessary. I was trying to add more description

But no hypothermia? I would think he would be more susceptible to that rather than hunger.
Since he had coats on I didn't suppose he'd be that cold, but I guess my years of living in the tropics have made me forget what being cold really feels like.

He could see through a blizzard? Or at least well enough to discern that gray, long blob, was actually legs?
I always thought birds had better eyesight than people, and that Articuno would have a sort of special eyelid like camels do to help keep snow off, or, if it was looking down, then snow wouldn't blow into its face.

Now I know this is going into extremely nitpicky territory (not that I haven't already), but if the articuno knows about the natural order of things (kill or get killed), why did it go against the order and save the human who would have, probably, died? It's too coincidental (unlike the later articuno story which does seem more plausible).
I was just trying a way to make the protagonist live. Articuno's dex entry said that it guided people out of blizzards, and I really didn't want my protagonist to die in this story, since I thought it would give me and anybody who would read this an empty feeling, and I couldn't think of any other reason for Articuno choosing to guide/bring people home.

The description of the mother is too random and unimportant to the action going on. Why should the reader care what the mother looks like more than, say, her worries? I'll get more into this later.
I guess I can say that I was looking at it more from an objective point of view, but I do realize that I went right over to limited/omniscient. Woops.

Earlier you said it was Marya and Marya's father that got lost. Here you say it's Marya and Marya's husband (or Eltheo's father). Which one is it? Or ... is it something more ... um ... yeah. =P
NONONONONONONONO---typotypotypotypotypo it was a typo. I swear. Marya's father, Eltheo's grandfather.

Sometime ago during the HG/SS contest, I remember commenting on your one-shot. It said something along the lines of "while your description is finely detailed and beautifully written, you expand too much on sections that don't require so much detail and skimp on scenes that could use more expansion." I feel the same applies for this story. In my nitpick section, I pointed out a few areas that I found to be repetitive or obvious given the information you already supplied us. Knowing how to describe without relying on information dumps is an important skill, which you do wonderfully. The pacing on the story was a bit slower than needed, but the description within it flowed well from one item to the next. But at the same time, knowing when to make edits and how to shorten lengthier descriptions to get to the point is just as important.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of your characters. With a more intense scene, like chasing a pokemon, your focus should be less on the details of the snow and the setting and more on the action sequence and the thrill and feeling of the hunt. Contemplative moments where action is slower is when an examination of the world around the character seems more plausible (but at the same time, you shouldn't use this as an excuse to dump your setting on your reader).[/quote]
I understand. I'm just more used to reading and watching slower-paced things, where everything is described in fine, chiseled detail. Since that's what I exposed myself to, it's what I was used to writing. I'm scared of shortening things because if I shorten something, I may erase something important, leaving other people thinking "Huh?", when I would already know what it is.

At the same time, you have to figure out when it's important to expand on scenes and if you can make a "he did this, he did that, then he did this" useful. Example:

This scene, I would assume, should be significant given that we thought the main character was going to die, but you fly past it with very skimp detail. You don't have to repeat the story we saw, but this could have been a very good time to build up character personality or the emotions that both mother and son had built up. You touch on this slightly (Eltheo feeling guilty, being fidgety), but you could have done so much more.
Because he was passed out, I thought that would mean I would just go straight to where he woke up again. I actually didn't really think of doing the mother's emotions once I passed her, because I felt that once he awoke, I would switch back to his point of view. I can see what you're saying though. I just felt that skimming over it would be better, as I assumed the reaction from readers would be that they don't need to go through every thought in the character's head when there're more people involved, and it doesn't center around just one character.

Actually, the problem may not lay with you overdoing description but you not doing anything more than that. You tell us what's happening. So what? Near the climax, I didn't really care that Eltheo was going to die because all you did was describe that he was tired and hungry and that he fell down a slope. You barely touched on the emotional aspect of fiction that connects the reader to the character. I didn't really care, nor understand, why finding the white mebujikija was so important to Eltheo. You didn't portray Eltheo as desperate with the mebijikija a source of hope. You show that he is, sure, but you didn't go any further than that.

This could have been a really powerful scene if you developed the emotional side of your story rather than the descriptive side, but you fly past it. Actually, that entire paragraph where Eltheo was thinking about his family was pretty rushed through. You jump from Eltheo cursing the mebujikija angrily to him thinking, lovingly, about his family without any transition between the two.

(Yes, I know he's about to pass out but still. You could have at least shown more desperation and panic while Eltheo was trying to find his way back).

Basically, you could have cut out a lot of the description (because you either stated it earlier or it's just not important) but should have focused more on the characters and their reactions to events. The problem, in my opinion, is that there is no connection between your characters and the reader because the bulk of the story is just basic plot points. There is barely any personality from Eltheo; we don't get the sense that he's hopeful when he finds the mebujikija, then desperate when he gets lost, then angry at getting lost and so on.

I can see that my problem is not really knowing all the emotions, and so I don't know how to describe them. I wasn't sure how to get personality across in a one-shot, since short-stories I read before seemed to be something you inferred the characters' personalities from without right-out saying, though now I realize that I hadn't had a personality for him to begin with. I suppose my better way to improve this would to have a planned-out personality, and to experience more things in life so I can feel more emotions instead of being a block of stone and making my characters that way?

All I can really say is, thank you so, so so much for reviewing this. I wouldn't have been able to bear dragging myself through ammature crap like you did, and be williing to show kindness to its writer. Thank you very much for doing this, and for being so good to me and the rest of the people you review.

jacobii said:
I loved your ability to describe the scene of the setting and the characters thoughts. The idea of a Pokemon game hunter is clever and original. The only problem with it is that it was kind of boring to read and had no exciting climax. (but I dont like reading that much) Overall I'll give it a 8/10. Good, not great, but certainly not average.
And thank you for your review, too. I'll try and work on more climatic moments with more emotion and depth so you won't be let drooling on your keyboard and groaning ;P

Breezy

Rofl, my first reaction upon seeing that you posted this was "Yes, it's Breezy!" Even more oddly, the night I finished writing and editing this I had a dream you reviewed this and put "You have a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes." I just found that funny for some reason.

P.S., I am writing down every bit of advice you give me so that I will improve. And I do feel guilty about this--if it sounds like I'm being too comfortable, I'm not, I'm squiriming on the inside.
Lol, that's interesting. You didn't actually have that many grammar errors from what I caught, though you did use more commas than necessary.

Don't feel guilty if you're not freaked out from my review. XP That's not what I'm trying to do.

Dang, purple prose was what I trying to get out of, but I didn't want to keep using the word "snow" and still describe the scene, so I added that bit.
I think by the third or fourth "snow," the reader will get that it's snowing. =P I know that you want to project the exact imagine in your head into your story so the readers will see exactly what you're seeing at certain moments, but the logistics is that the reader will create his/her own image anyway. So don't stress yourself out if you aren't super specific.

I said that because I wanted to give people a vague idea of his age, but I couldn't find something suitable for his age and have reviewers say "a guy that age wouldn't be that stupid/be able to do something like that", so I put it in that way so it could possibly fit whatever criteria he would be in.
Physically, then, what age do you think he is? I personally imagined someone around fourteen/fifteen but you might have something totally different in mind.

I don't know the time frame your story is in, but I assume that since he is a boy and they do live in a more primitive age, he would have more responsibility at a younger age. So if he were younger, it could sound plausible.

To show other peoples' reactions, and because he was thinking about how he didn't see it again and was disappointed and imaged something else and this run on sentence isn't doing me any good.
So I assume he thought, or at least imagined, the bunery he just killed was the ... whatever it's called? If I remember right, I think my issue with it was that you gave him no reason to really think about "not finding it again." Though maybe that's why you described the white of the bunery or something ...?

Fake grins, i imagine, where one could pretending to be smiling but they weren't, though I know that here it wouldn't be necessary. I was trying to add more description
=P A grin is a grin (excluding fake ones).

Since he had coats on I didn't suppose he'd be that cold, but I guess my years of living in the tropics have made me forget what being cold really feels like.
Which is interesting because you stop being aware that you're cold when hypothermia hits. =P Not saying you have to include it, but just found it weird that he succumbed to hunger first.

I was just trying a way to make the protagonist live. Articuno's dex entry said that it guided people out of blizzards, and I really didn't want my protagonist to die in this story, since I thought it would give me and anybody who would read this an empty feeling, and I couldn't think of any other reason for Articuno choosing to guide/bring people home.
It was kind of why I liked the "guiding" story that the mom told to Eltheo rather than Articuno literally intervening to save the boy's life.

Plus if you had the protag follow the articuno home, it could have been a neat tie between him and his mom.

I'm not saying you should change it ... just something to think about, maybe, if you ever want to do a huge revision.

I understand. I'm just more used to reading and watching slower-paced things, where everything is described in fine, chiseled detail. Since that's what I exposed myself to, it's what I was used to writing. I'm scared of shortening things because if I shorten something, I may erase something important, leaving other people thinking "Huh?", when I would already know what it is.
It's fine if you like to detail as long as it's not redundant and has a purpose, or enhances the strenuous situation (or any situation, really) your character is in or shows the personality of your character (via character action, like fidgeting or something).

Pretty much, your description should something more than, "It sounds pretty."

But that might just be me. Some people do like tons of description. I'm more of a "whatever is necessary" person.

Because he was passed out, I thought that would mean I would just go straight to where he woke up again.
They why bother with the scene with the mother? Why not just jump from the boy passing out --> Articuno --> boy waking up, confused, to his worried mother?

I actually didn't really think of doing the mother's emotions once I passed her, because I felt that once he awoke, I would switch back to his point of view. I can see what you're saying though. I just felt that skimming over it would be better, as I assumed the reaction from readers would be that they don't need to go through every thought in the character's head when there're more people involved, and it doesn't center around just one character.
I think I figured that you could do something with her since you did have her POV, even if it was for a quick moment. Not saying you have to either.

And, well, yeah. You don't have to go through every thought in the characters' heads, but it would have been nice to get a little more thought from at least Eltheo, especially since I'm sure he was confused about how he got back home. Most thoughts are self-explanatory/self-assumed, but it at least brings a little more personality to your characters.

I can see that my problem is not really knowing all the emotions, and so I don't know how to describe them. I wasn't sure how to get personality across in a one-shot, since short-stories I read before seemed to be something you inferred the characters' personalities from without right-out saying, though now I realize that I hadn't had a personality for him to begin with.
With most stories (short or multi-chapter) you infer personality from the character's thoughts, their action, and their interaction with others. I don't think any story (besides really really amateur fanfiction) goes "Bob is a friendly guy but he also is quick-tempered." However, we can infer that Bob is friendly if he talks to a lot of people and befriends people easily but gets angry at getting cut off in traffic. Or something trivial.

From what I know, I can infer that Eltheo is a curious character who is hopeful in trying to make a better life for him and his family. He doesn't like to displease his mother. I would say that he has a lot of responsibility thrust upon him, and he takes all of it, but at the same time, he's still a kid at heart, believing in folk tales and hoping for the best (compared to the cynical adult who would have frowned at Eltheo dropping his game in order to chase that one pokemon). You already do have a personality from Eltheo, but yeah, you could have incorporated more into your story.

I suppose my better way to improve this would to have a planned-out personality, and to experience more things in life so I can feel more emotions instead of being a block of stone and making my characters that way?
I actually never really plan out the personality of my characters, or if I do, it's something very, very basic. Usually the characters create their own personalities and quirks for me (it's odd to say--though I'm sure I'm not alone in this--but some authors feel like their characters are talking to them when trying to create them). It might seem easier to detail someone's personality and inputting it into the story somehow, but usually the characters create themselves so long as you have them interacting and thinking.

To think of an example, I wanted a character who was quite studious and experienced, but in the end he started to become very cynical. Wasn't planning on that. It just developed that way.

All I can really say is, thank you so, so so much for reviewing this. I wouldn't have been able to bear dragging myself through ammature crap like you did, and be williing to show kindness to its writer. Thank you very much for doing this, and for being so good to me and the rest of the people you review.
No problem. =P Reviewing is fun.

Last edited:

disclaimer065

Eltheo was suppose to come outside
Supposed.

It was an interesting read, if slightly dull plot-wise. There's not much major conflict, and that subtracts from the overall experience. I also didn't see any grammatical errors apart from the above-mentioned thing, though whether this is because you're just that good or because you've corrected them already I'm not sure, as I haven't read the other reviews.

I like the setting. Most Pokemon fics take place roughly around the current anime/game/manga time, so seeing one in the distant past is interesting. Also, I love snow.

I await more material from you.