• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Luxray Vision! (527)

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
I assume you don't watch the japanese version at all. The difference is - quite big -, cause the american bgm don't fit the scenes at all, and they don't have any pace, thus making a lot of scenes boring compared to the original.
That is just a blasphemus accusation. The dub BGM may not be "better" than the original version BGM in terms of quality, but that does not make them really poor nor boring either. In fact, many times I would rather have the dub BGM to replace situations where in the original version did not have BGM. It builds mood in the dub.

RageKaiser

Chespin :D
I assume you don't watch the japanese version at all. The difference is - quite big -, cause the american bgm don't fit the scenes at all, and they don't have any pace, thus making a lot of scenes boring compared to the original.

This right here is very true.
The original japanese track is filled with different scores of music that make the scenes what they are. Sure I wouldn't mind if PUSA filled in SOME of the silence with music that would actually fit (I'm getting REALLY sick of hearing the same person ATTACK that poor violin over and over and over again). But other than that, they need to keep the score the way it was, And someone needs to contact them and tell him how bad their music actually is. I don't mean send an e-mail, someone needs to have a full blown conversation with the person in charge of the music section.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
And again a great episode!

If you could only avoid this horrible expression "filler": EVERY Pokemon episode does make sense, so I can´t see a reason for using this contemptuous word which makes you think that the episode was just shoddy and not worth being watched.

But this wasn´t the case for this awesome episode at all:

I liked our upcoming, scatterbrained ace detective Marble. (She reminded my of good old Peter Falk as Columbo . Does somebody remember him?)
She caused hilarious moments and was somehow sweet, especially when being agry about Dawn stealing her words. ^^

As I´m fond of any lion-, dinosaur- , or dragonlike Pokemon, Luxray is an awesome, well-designed Pokemon in my opinion.
A sucessfull presentation of this electric lion!

And wasn´t Pikachu just fantastic when it activated all its willpower to rescue Luxray? Marvelous!

To sum it up: An amazing, entertaining episode which gave no reason for complaining! Thumb definitely up!

Geodude

In fact, many times I would rather have the dub BGM to replace situations where in the original version did not have BGM. It builds mood in the dub.

I can't believe someone's actually saying this. What's wrong with silence? Don't you think silence is appropriate many times as well? I guess you'd prefer to have music in the background for no reason every second of the episode.

Back to discussing the actual episode please, people.

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
I can't believe someone's actually saying this. What's wrong with silence? Don't you think silence is appropriate many times as well? I guess you'd prefer to have music in the background for no reason every second of the episode.
I never said that so your accusation is false and just plain lame.

I didn't say that I hate silence nor did I say that silence is inappropiate. I said that, in many situations (that is, if applicable), I would rather have dub BGM be inserted into the portions where it was silence in the original version. The reason is that the many dub BGM used in an episode changes the mood of an episode, thus the originally silence part will not fit well with the changes of the BGM. Thus, because it has a different feeling, putting dub BGM in places of silence in the original version would help "build the mood in the dub".

TeddiUrsa

And again a great episode!

If you could only avoid this horrible expression "filler": EVERY Pokemon episode does make sense, so I can´t see a reason for using this contemptuous word which makes you think that the episode was just shoddy and not worth being watched.

Fillers aren´t episodes which aren´t worth watching, my friend.

They are episodes which can be missed without missing anything important concerning the storyline.

The best would be for you to look up the definition of "fillers" somewhere on the internet. Being a filler doesn´t mean that the episode sucks, infact many of my most favourite episodes of Pokémon are fillers.

It is just that many fans are too stupid to enjoy episodes without a capture, new move or evolution.

That being said, there are many things I liked about this episode, but still...I think it was kinda boring. Marple was a neat character, but I wanted a little more backstory for her. maybe she´ll return someday?

sweet_piplup123

I lost the game?!?!
It's quite annoying when Marble says "I was gonna say that too!" But the rest of the episode are good.:D Man I wish Ten Network can broadcast Pokemon again.

Last edited:

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
After having watched it twice now, I´m fond of this episode even more!

It modeled itself on the aforementioned two Johto episodes, but it fitted just perfectly! A good sucessful mixture and an exciting plot.

What should also be mentioned is Team Rocket talking about the sense of their pseudonym "Bandit Beauty Three": James dared doubt their glorious name and was immediately chewed out by Jessie! LOOOL
Or while blasting off at the end, Meowth tried to stay optimistic: "Look at the bright side! There´s no one in the world with that much practice!" ROOFL :D

And what pleased me most as an Ash-Fan was the fact that in Marble´s eyes he served as a role model of the ideal Pokemontrainer. Wasn´t that great!?
I really enjoyed listening to their talk while our heroes were going downstairs and to Ash´s thoughts about the crucial criterion that counts most: "Friends until the end"
Just wonderful!

To sum it up:
I´m totally glad with this week´s episode and look forward to next one.
If it could only be Sunday by now...

Geodude

I didn't say that I hate silence nor did I say that silence is inappropiate. I said that, in many situations (that is, if applicable), I would rather have dub BGM be inserted into the portions where it was silence in the original version. The reason is that the many dub BGM used in an episode changes the mood of an episode, thus the originally silence part will not fit well with the changes of the BGM. Thus, because it has a different feeling, putting dub BGM in places of silence in the original version would help "build the mood in the dub".

So basically what you're saying is, since the original intended mood was already partially altered, they might as well go ahead and alter the rest of it? Flawed logic. The problem is, there's absolutely no reason for background music to be replaced in the first place. I barely pay attention to it, but even I can tell that much. Music with Japanese vocals I can sort of understand for obvious reasons, but the instrumentals in the original are just fine the way they are.

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
So basically what you're saying is, since the original intended mood was already partially altered, they might as well go ahead and alter the rest of it? Flawed logic. The problem is, there's absolutely no reason for background music to be replaced in the first place. I barely pay attention to it, but even I can tell that much. Music with Japanese vocals I can sort of understand for obvious reasons, but the instrumentals in the original are just fine the way they are.
That's not what I said either.

Sure, they have no reason to change the original BGM, but because it is inevitable that they will change them, then it's quite obvious that the mood will change also. And because it is inevitable, leaving a distant silence somewhere mixed with dub BGM ruins the mood in said scene, thus it is necessary to actually add BGM to actually make it flow along well. To me, I would rather see a dub scene improvement than a dub scene that is just going to be left ruined since the mood is not the same as the original version. I also said if they are only applicable; that is, as an example, if the original BGM is kept and then silence follows in the original version, then they wouldn't need to add music to that silence portion in the dub version.

Cobalt_Latios

Well, I finally got around to seeing this episode (no not youtube, I actually like to have "quality" in my poke eps (5cents for anyone who can figure out the irony of this ;))), I have to say, it was very entertaining. What with Luxray being in it, and of course several references to past episodes, I gotta say it was done reasonably well (keeping an open mind does help).

So... where should I begin... well how about the beginning? Firstly, I thought the concept of the whole "mansion" was an okay idea, until I began to notice multiple similarities with the one found south of Hearthome. Well, the fact that the pattern on the front lawn, and the "police/security guards" didn't exactly help matters. Though, on that subject, I'm very much hoping that area gets visited properly in the show (maybe a capture or two wouldn't hurt?).

Then, of course we have Marble who striked me as odd at first. 'Course, the whole Luxray outfit probably meant she definitely meant business, until her true purpose was revealed to be a "detective". Oh good lord, the second I saw her little "spiel" for "advertising", it quickly occurred to me that it has been roughly 11 years since something like this has been done (think the episode "Hypno's Naptime" where Ash decides to try and be a detective to solve the case. Yeah, pretty much the same end result too.). 'Course, what irked me the most about her was her constant spewing of the line "I was just about to say that too". After the near last time she says it, I simply thought "give it a rest will you!". Though, I'm glad she was able to solve Luxray's "obediance" problem other ways besides Team Rocket (though, attacks are usually resolved a la Rocket anyways, so that was inevitable).

Well, seeing as Luxray's her partner, why don't I check him out? I, personally thought Luxray was well handled. I now have the suspicion that every electric type showcased in the anime (since saying "show" would be slightly redundant) that has a tail of which could actually handle Iron Tail, will in fact have it. Though, I seriously wish Game Freak would have created an attack similar to Luxray's X-vision that would essentially cancel out all evasion attacks. Seriously, they sure made an episode dedicated to showing Hoothoot's foresight, why not make an actual Xray-esque attack specifically for Luxray?
Anyways, having not seen the Jap version, I can't really comment about anything along those lines, but I can say that I felt Luxray's voice was handled rather well. Oh, and I did read a few pages back that someone mentioned something regarding an "un-need" to tranlsate Luxray's "RAWR". Well, Luxray's Jap name is Rentora, maybe they were just using "RA" a lot. Luxray sure said "Ray" a lot so I guess it seems fit.
I honestly don't see why Charge Beam and Thunder Fang were unliked. Honestly, this is Pokémon. Quality in anything is hard to comeby. What would have preferred, a beautiful CG beam of energy taking out Team Rocket? Thunder Crackling teeth that would have caused that case to ignite with electricity? Sheesh, you guys expect way too much from this show. Let's not forget who's watching shall we?

Now, fast forward to the part that literally makes me wonder if Dawn truly is smarter than she looks (or maybe she's armed with something called "common sense"). Honestly, just as Team Rocket, a.k.a. "Bandit Beautys 3", took that case, Dawn called them off saying they were the Bandits - followed by [insert: I was just going to say that too!]. Of course, I facepalmed myself once Brock essentially screwed the whole thing up. Brock! And to think I thought you were actually smart! Come on, if Dawn can conjure up a plan, and it actually works then why not take her advice and go with it? (Answer: cause then you'd have about 3 minutes to fill... and chances are it probably would not have wound up taking the same path. But still, I was so close to seeing that scene way back in Kanto when Misty pretty much knew it was Team Rocket. Ugh! Brock, for once, this time you should have taken Dawn's advice). It was at that moment that made me wonder who really is the more intelligent character on this show...

Now, all the similarities to older episodes are fine and all, but now lets move on to another important segment: the traps. Well, I don't know about you guys, but I didn't think that you were supposed to "kill" thieves upon entering those walls. Trap them maybe and send them over to police, but not "impale, spear or crush" them. What is in there that could possibly warrant the death of someone to protect? The Ark of the Covenant (I didn't know Pokemon had something that religious in the show...)? Seriously, what is down there. Locking it up would also have been a bit alternative.
And lord, Luxray uses his Xray to see the trap, Pikachu trips it and he tries to get Pikachu, but falls in. What was the point.
Of course, when Luxray falls into a near spiky death and stops, I thought: Pikachu probably did save him, but I didn't think... then I remembered the battle Pikachu had against that one Milotic back in Hoenn. Ah, yes, it all made sense. If Pikachu can hurl something roughly 20 feet over itself with almost no effort, I hardly see anything wrong with Pikachu saving Luxray, whose way smaller than that. Afterwards, I was glad that Luxray and Pikachu became friends. He does hesitate, but agrees to it.

Now, I doubt anyone caught this, but why was Mahogany town mentioned? Out of all the towns in all the regions, how the tell did Mahogany town get mentioned? Seriously... I makes no sense... unless...
But, was Marble really the daughter of that Jenny, or was Marble just your "generic" pre-teen attempting to be good at doing something she clearly isn't?

Eh, otherwise, this was a pretty well done episode.

And now to answer some posts.

Mike Pollock (old 4kids narrator and old 4kids mr Contesta) is the mansion owner. More 4kids !
Yep, sure sounds like him. But I thought I heard MP alot earlier in Sinnoh as other characters (mostly people like the owner though).

Interesting. Another old 4Kids connection. It's amazing now. Maybe all the 4Kids people are jumping ship.
Notice how these are mainly VA's who do "additional voices" anyway. None of them are the familiar bunch we've been used to hearing.

The only thing I was disappointed about in this episode was Luxray's dub. I expected something more ferocious. When I heard it the first time I was like, "You've gotta be kidding me."
Considering who's training it, it makes alot of sense. I thought it suited it just fine. Mightyena suits the fercoiousness better anyway.

It's Marble, not Marvel...
Yes, Marvel not only enables PUSA to lawsuit, but she's not exactly that much of a "Marvel" if you get what I mean.

He used the pseudonym Lawrence Herb.
Hmm, this is quite interesting. The 4Kids gang is deciding to secretly voice here. Though, the damn videos I watch don't have credits... so I wouldn't know. But, once they get to Canada (Battle Dimension), I'll be sure to look for his name.

This ep was interesting enough. Hey, we got kid Joys, it's about time we got a kid Jenny, too.
I was just thinking that. (Note: I did not use that irritating Marble line...)

Exactly; why, though, with other 4Kids VAs using they're real names, is another question.
Because obviously they don't want 4Kids to know that "they're under better management".

Marble was interesting, and I liked how she appeared like she could be related to the Jennys.
I thought she was...

I also have to question why those traps were still smack-dab in the middle of the friggin hallway for anyone to trigger. It's like a 'what the hell?'.
That's the whole purpose of a trap. They're supposed to be there to catch people who shouldn't be there. Granted, the traps are a litte too "vicious" for the general purpose.

Not a bad Episode, Luxray's voice wasn't what I expected. And the fact he had no electrical moves at his disposal till this. This was really an average filler episode.
Considering the Shinx, Luxio, Luxray line are quite limited in good moves anyways does make this a lot more... viable.

Huh, Bulbagarden's still down. Guess I'll just have to post my opinions here. ;P

So I was distracted during the beginning where we were being introduced to the setting and such, so I have to ask: was Marble explicitly confirmed as a young Officer Jenny, or are we just supposed to get that because of common sense? Whatever the case, I liked her; she was funny.
Those words leads me to question quite a few things. How many people who watch this show will claim to have "common sense", let alone use it?

Like has already been pointed out, this ep reminded me of that Johto Journies Spinarak episode. The "maze underneath a mansion" plotline reminded me of Brock's Zubat's evolution episode from Johto League Champions, too.
Oy, what a tiny fragment.

Wow, Luxray's voice was terrible. First Manectric, now Luxray? Depsite that, I thought its rivalry with Pikachu was fun. Pikachu pulling up Luxray with its teeth reminded me of it throwing Milotic over its head. XD
Well, Pikachu has proved it's strength, it's a shame it can only use that when the situation calls for it. Frankly I can not be surprised with anything Pikachu can do, because he's Pikachu.

I was going to say the same thing!:p
Don't make me hate that line more than I already do.--

I really liked this episode. I thought the animation was great and that was something I really liked since my favorite pokemon is featured and I wanted to see it at its full glory. I didn't watch this episode when it first came out so I was happy it was a great and enjoyable filler.
Had you seen the episode beforehand, I can almost guarantee your answer would be different.

I never understood why people make such a big deal about background music. Does it really matter if it's the original Japanese track or not?
Not really. Granted, there are some fun music pieces, but that's generally not the main focus of "watching" television in the first place. Unless it's a music video, but that's not the case here now is it?

But the good news is that Piplup was kept in its pokeball for the whole episode.
Well waddaya know, I didn't notice that. Heck, Dawn didn't send anyone out this episode. Too bad her best moment was ruined by el Brocko.

hehehe...​

Off Topic:

This right here is very true.
The original japanese track is filled with different scores of music that make the scenes what they are. Sure I wouldn't mind if PUSA filled in SOME of the silence with music that would actually fit (I'm getting REALLY sick of hearing the same person ATTACK that poor violin over and over and over again). But other than that, they need to keep the score the way it was, And someone needs to contact them and tell him how bad their music actually is. I don't mean send an e-mail, someone needs to have a full blown conversation with the person in charge of the music section.
Honestly, the majority of us grew up with watching this show in our "native tongue", so I do believe it doesn't exactly matter to us. FYI, I do watch the original, but only if it's an episode that catches my fancy. And frankly, I hardly ever listen to the music, considering "listening" isn't really that viable of an option due to lack of lingual comprehension. "Watching" it is really the only way to go(for the right people anyway), and that works wonders.

C'est tout que j'ai a dire. Aurevoir!

~C_L~

Last edited:

Cobalt_Latios

Why not? If you watch and listen to enough Japanese episodes, you slowly start to pick up on words and stuff, especially frequently repeated words such as attack names. That's how I did it.
Yes, this is slowly becoming a case for me two. Learned several words in the process (Bubblebeam...). My comment was also directed to those who do in fact lack lots of said comprehension. Sure, you can watch it, but you definitely need to comprehend what your watching for stuff to make sense. Yes, I'll also say that you usually do quickly learn the Jap names for the attacks. Though, I meant my comment towards the idea of understanding what's happening. Almost a necessity, espescially in these shows...

Offtopic:
Damn, after careful thought, I'm starting to sound like a hypocrite. Well, admitting a problem's a good thing at least. Having one isn't...

Ontopic:
Eh, I meant my comment in the most general intended purpose, much like the audience of the show.

~C_L~

Last edited:

DSBLASTOISE

TheCowboyCoordinator
I do admit..They could have done something with Charge beam...Like make it into this electric Hyper Beam of some sort..but Thunder fang is fine...I say wait until its used in battle....dont judge it then...But also..what else could they have done with Thunder Fang really....Its an electric bite..that was to be expected...

yeah i totally agree

DSBLASTOISE

TheCowboyCoordinator

thunderblade12

anyone else notice theres a lot of characters almost getting killed in DP...

in this episode ash, dawn, brock and marbel almost got crushed
in the raichu episode, pikachu almost died
pauls training nearly killed chimchar
hunter j almost killed ash multiple times

theres probably others, just seems like theres a ton more than usual