• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lycanroc Showdown! Ash VS Gladion!! (1048)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1048.jpg

Lycanroc Showdown! Ash VS Gladion!!

Ash once again challenges Hapu to a battle but she gets angry and refuses. Soon after, Gladion appears on Poni Island and states he's there to meet Tapu Fini. As Lillie and Gladion talk, Gladion brings up their father. Soon after that, Ash challenges Gladion to a battle: Lycanroc VS Lycanroc. Who will win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Well we got ourselves Mohn's official reveal. Gotta say its nice to get to see how he used to look, given the in-game Mohn notes he only got chubby from eating too many poke beans. Here's hoping the anime gets him to reunite with his family, hopefully a little more than in the games (Ultra Sun and Moon keep him amnesiac, while admittedly indicating he is going to over time get to know his family again). Nice to see too that they didn't shy away from making Lusamine taller than him (that lady is one statuesque stunner).

I was surprised at how Splintered Storm Shards honestly didn't look all that impressive when it actually hit, basically looking like a regular Rock type hit. It was like the rocks all shrank/decreased in number or something compared to the animation of the attack forming. At least it makes Gladion's Lycanroc taking the hit look more reasonable.

Devastating Drake fared better, though I still expected a bit bigger of an explosion.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

Don’t even know what was going on at first because Japanese but oh wow did that battle both confuse and piss me off. Gladion’s Lycanroc was getting its ass kicked, plain and simple, yet it tanked a Z-Move directly, while confused and already heavily damaged? Sorry, can’t believe that one. That fight should’ve easily been Ash’s and the fact that it wasn’t because seemingly Ash might win in the League rematch is dumb.

If Ash can beat Hau before the League, he can beat Gladion. Dunno what the writers were on with this one.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Don’t even know what was going on at first because Japanese but oh wow did that battle both confuse and piss me off. Gladion’s Lycanroc was getting its ass kicked, plain and simple, yet it tanked a Z-Move directly, while confused and already heavily damaged? Sorry, can’t believe that one.
It sounded like they had some kind of explanation involving Counter, but without subs I don't know. Plus in the lore Midnight Lycanroc is supposed to be quite tanky (even though in the games it is only marginally more defensive than the other formes).

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Don’t even know what was going on at first because Japanese but oh wow did that battle both confuse and piss me off. Gladion’s Lycanroc was getting its ass kicked, plain and simple, yet it tanked a Z-Move directly, while confused and already heavily damaged? Sorry, can’t believe that one.
That didn't make much sense to me either. He claimed that he "made use of Counter", but they didn't really give any elaboration on what that actually meant. Rotom's explanation basically just boiled down to "He used the impact from the move to snap himself out of confusion!" which... still doesn't really explain how he was still standing.

D

Deleted member 384931

I aren't fond of the animation that they used for the dragon Z-Move. It made it feel anti-climatic compared to the other Z-Moves. Strange how they showed to be confused from Outrage, in other series you don't see it this way. Hapu was mad at Ash but why exactly?

I would give this episode 7/10. PS: why is Oricorio the Who is That pokémon? It did not appeared in this episode.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Omg the animation this episode was beyond tragic. Devastating Drake looked disgusting. Hopefully they are spending all of the budget on the League Arc.
DD was the only iffy part animation-wise, everything else was great, though I wish ash had won, given he was clearly the better battler here, but oh well, seems like mn lycanroc will pull off an electrivire (with silvally being torterra). On another note, it seems like mohn disappeared on an ultra hole here too, though I'll have to rewatch the ep with subs

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Don’t even know what was going on at first because Japanese but oh wow did that battle both confuse and piss me off. Gladion’s Lycanroc was getting its ass kicked, plain and simple, yet it tanked a Z-Move directly, while confused and already heavily damaged? Sorry, can’t believe that one. That fight should’ve easily been Ash’s and the fact that it wasn’t because seemingly Ash might win in the League rematch is dumb.

If Ash can beat Hau before the League, he can beat Gladion. Dunno what the writers were on with this one.
Ash's Lycanroc was fairly bruised after those Outrage hits. Gladion's must be strong enough to endure that attack just a little bit longer in order to defeat Ash's Lycanroc with one more move.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
according to some guy who uploads the episodes, he says gladion said mohn died during ultra wormhole research and he wants to go to tapu fini because it (she?) can call the spirits of the deceased, not sure if true though, so I'll wait for clear subs. Also, the lack of poke problem segments in the dub will make somewhat of a plot hole, given gladion leaves ash/lillie/hapu during this episode's

Last edited:

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
So, what was Hapu's problem with Ash this time? I know it's kinda redundant point by now, but Ash really switched places with TRio, he blasted off more than them since SM started.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
according to some guy who uploads the episodes, he says gladion said mohn died during ultra wormhole research and he wants to go to tapu fini because it (she?) can call the spirits of the deceased, not sure if true though, so I'll wait for clear subs. Also, the lack of poke problem segments in the dub will make somewhat of a plot hole, given gladion leaves ash/lillie/hapu during this episode's
He did indeed say that his father had died. But since we know that, in the game at least, he's still alive, it's entirely possible that Gladio is simply mistaken here. As for him leaving, I wouldn't say that's too much of a big deal, really... Not like the segment gives much of a reason for it either, it's literally just "Oh, you're training? I'll come too..." "BYE."

D

Deleted member 384931

He did indeed say that his father had died. But since we know that, in the game at least, he's still alive, it's entirely possible that Gladio is simply mistaken here. As for him leaving, I wouldn't say that's too much of a big deal, really... Not like the segment gives much of a reason for it either, it's literally just "Oh, you're training? I'll come too..." "BYE."
Ok kinda dark...