• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lycanroc Showdown! Ash VS Gladion!! (1048)

thor94

I don't mind Ash losing, I prefer it to him always winning like XY. But right now I do agree that they need to let him get in some wins to balance things out. When Ash doesn't battle for quite some time and then loses twice.... it just feels wrong.
The reason Ash mainly won in kalos was because almost all kalos trainers and rivals he faced were newbies. When he faced older and more experienced kalos trainers (gym challenges excluded) ash lost almost all the battles.

Evanibble

It seemed obvious that Gladion was gonna win this one, because they'll probably face off in the league and Ash's Lycanroc will win.

Overall I enjoyed this episode. The reference to Mohn is nice foreshadowing for the upcoming episode where he will supposedly appear. The battle itself was pretty good, although i'm sure the writers didn't intend to go all-out on this one (animation-wise and writing-wise) because they're saving those efforts for the league battle possibly? I didn't expect Lycanroc to know a dragon move, much less for Gladion to use Devastating Drake. The only major disappointment was how the z-move was animated, but again I'm positive that they can and will do better.

This episode made me realize that I don't like Gladion much, not even in the games. His cartoon counter part seems pretty much like a less rude version of Paul, but I don't like that he also has a Lycanroc like Ash does irregardless of its different form.

Vipsoccermaster

Fine episode. The battle between Ash and Gladion was fine, nothing too special about it (other than the slightly awful Devastating Drake), but that battle did help Hapu's personality, through talking with Lillie. Gladion and Lillie spending time together, as brother and sister, was great to see, as they're wanting to see their father, after not being able to for such a long time.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was a bit upset that Lilie and Gladio didn't get to battle in this episode despite all the build up. I wasn't too pleased with Satoshi versus Gladio either since watching their two Lugarugan fight each other just didn't seem very exciting other than when Gladio's Lugarugan used Devastating Drake, which I wasn't expecting to see.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Fine episode. The battle between Ash and Gladion was fine, nothing too special about it (other than the slightly awful Devastating Drake), but that battle did help Hapu's personality, through talking with Lillie. Gladion and Lillie spending time together, as brother and sister, was great to see, as they're wanting to see their father, after not being able to for such a long time.

I really loved the Lillie and Gladion scenes. This anime rarely tackles family bonds in a way that works, but finally we saw a realistic approach to that here.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I really loved the Lillie and Gladion scenes. This anime rarely tackles family bonds in a way that works, but finally we saw a realistic approach to that here.
And then it yanks the rug from under us by having Ash come in and completely ruin it, whether he's stealing Lillie's spotlight in a private family matter or hogging Gladion for a battle, or solving their family issues by literally nuking their parents with lightning

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Lillie should have been the main character in Sun and Moon; the series would have been better off if Ash didn't have such a big role as the main character in it.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Lillie should have been the main character in Sun and Moon; the series would have been better off if Ash didn't have such a big role as the main character in it.
I don't think she should have been the main character, but Ash definitely shouldn't have been hijacking her game plot.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
And then it yanks the rug from under us by having Ash come in and completely ruin it, whether he's stealing Lillie's spotlight in a private family matter or hogging Gladion for a battle, or solving their family issues by literally nuking their parents with lightning

Yeah that's the unfortunate part. Ash really shouldn't have battled Gladion until the end of the episode and should've given Lillie a shot at battling.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Wow! What an arc this is turning out to be! Plumeria! Gladion! MOHN!

The battle was beyond epic. The rivalry is finally becoming real!

If Hapu is LEARNING FROM Ash and Gladion, I don’t understand how she's meant to end up becoming a challenge worthy of being equivalent to an eighth gym leader.

DatsRight

Does anyone kinda feel like Lillie and Gladion's league battle should have been put in here and Lillie should have been allowed a small skill boost by the former?

Also a small detail I don't think I mentioned, but I liked seeing Gladion's Pokemon congratulating Midnight Lycanroc for his win. Even the brooding rival team act like a family towards each other.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Does anyone kinda feel like Lillie and Gladion's league battle should have been put in here and Lillie should have been allowed a small skill boost by the former?
Not really no... Gladion vs Ash was a much better battle than Gladion vs Lillie could ever have been at that point. Their battle at the league just fell short because of time constraints.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I wouldn't be surprised if the two Lycanroc turned out to be of opposite genders and show an interest in each other later on in the series.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I wouldn't be surprised if the two Lycanroc turned out to be of opposite genders and show an interest in each other later on in the series.
There was speculation at some point that Satoshi's Lugarugan may be female but there's been enough clues over time to make it reasonably certain that it's a boy. Gladio's is up in the air, but just... somehow I can't see that one being female. Then again it's not like the species has any gender differentiators to begin with, so strictly speaking there's nothing actively pointing against it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikachu Fan Number Nine said:

I never considered this since it probably wouldn't have changed the dynamics between the two Lugarugan, anyway. I honestly can't picture a romance subplot featuring Satoshi's Lugarugan liking Gladio's Lugarugan that way. It's too strange to me.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Don't the UG episodes confirm the genders of the cast's Pokémon based on what they wear?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Did they? What was Ash's Lycanroc's implied gender then?
Male. If we take the UG uniforms as indication then his entire team is male.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Male. If we take the UG uniforms as indication then his entire team is male.
Yep, using those we can say that:
Male:
-Ash's whole team
-Kiawe's whole team
-Sophocles' Vikavolt
-Sandy
Female:
-Mallow's Tsareena
-Shaymin
-Snowy
-Lana's Primarina
-Sophocles' Togedemaru