• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Machamp and Shiftry help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraace

Sabrina's apprentice
Machamp and Shiftry movesets

I've got two Pokemon in my team that I need some real help with...so I thought I'd see what you thought and if you could suggest anything better.

First one is Machamp. My current moveset sucks, so this is what I'm PLANNING to go with(straight out of Smogon.net's database):

Machamp(female) @ leftovers
Nature is undecided as of yet
Guts
Rest
Sleep Talk
Cross Chop
Rock Slide

Seeing as Guts is activated when Machamp rests, she gets a huge attack boost. Obviously for the next two turns the idea is to Sleep Talk Cross Chop and Rock Slide. These two moves were picked mainly because I play double battles and the last thing I want is for Champ to sleep talk earthquake and kill her partner(particular if it's my special sweeping Alakazam).
Cross Chop, whilst having low accuracy does mean she won't have to go last(like Revenge, Vital Throw, etc).
Rockslide is there to deal with those pesky flying types.

If anyone has any better suggestions please tell me...Machamp's been causing me a headache, and I've previously used Machamps focusing around physical sweeping, SubPunching, Revengeing, and even annoying, and none have worked.

The second Pokemon is...Shiftry.

Currently, my Shiftry stands as this:

Shiftry(male) @ leftovers(yep...pretty much all my team has leftovers.)
Quirky
Chlorophyl(is this the best ability?)
Fake Out
Sunny Day
Solar Beam
Shadow Ball

Shiftry generally does ok, but I'm really looking for a better moveset.

Any help would be appreciated deciding my teams moves.

Thanks.

-AbraAce

Last edited:

Tazzler

Is this netbattle? If so, use HP Fire/Ice>Fake Out. Explosion>Shadow Ball also.

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
Abraace said:
I've got two Pokemon in my team that I need some real help with...so I thought I'd see what you thought and if you could suggest anything better.

First one is Machamp. My current moveset sucks, so this is what I'm PLANNING to go with(straight out of Smogon.net's database):

Guts
Rest
Sleep Talk
Cross Chop
Rock Slide (thats a pretty good moveset!)

Seeing as Guts is activated when Machamp rests, she gets a huge attack boost. Obviously for the next two turns the idea is to Sleep Talk Cross Chop and Rock Slide. These two moves were picked mainly because I play double battles and the last thing I want is for Champ to sleep talk earthquake and kill her partner(particular if it's my special sweeping Alakazam).
Cross Chop, whilst having low accuracy does mean she won't have to go last(like Revenge, Vital Throw, etc).
Rockslide is there to deal with those pesky flying types.

If anyone has any better suggestions please tell me...Machamp's been causing me a headache, and I've previously used Machamps focusing around physical sweeping, SubPunching, Revengeing, and even annoying, and none have worked.

The second Pokemon is...Shiftry.

Currently, my Shiftry stands as this:

Quirky
explosion
giga drain
brick break
Shadow Ball

Shiftry generally does ok, but I'm really looking for a better moveset.

Any help would be appreciated deciding my teams moves.

Thanks.

-AbraAce

whats so great about fake out?

Hey Micky!

zezrex5 said:
thats it dragondance!
you just made my revenge list!!!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Seriously... a revenge list? wth? Take the high-road and debate your point thereby making DD look foolish sicne he didn't debate anything, although on his behalf: "Giga Drain, wtf mate? ^^"

Guts
Rest
Sleep Talk
Cross Chop
Rock Slide
1 word: Adamant.

Quirky
Fake Out
Sunny Day
Solar Beam
Shadow Ball
Debatable. Chlrophil is obviously a must on any Sunny Day set, which oddly neough *can* work in OU but without Sunny Day it'll only be useful if your opponent uses Sunny Day [note: unlikely], but then again Early Bird sucks pretty much since if you're put to sleep you're pretty much dead.

Dark Registeel said:
good enough team catch more pokemon!
Maybe a Walrien or Wailord.
Much more of an "Ignore the above poster moment" than zezrex5 ever was. At least Z suggested Boom.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Nature is ADAMENT
Guts
Rest
Sleep Talk
Cross Chop
Rock Slide
If you use rest+sleep talk+rest/CC/rock slide you'll need a lot of luck, so that won't to.

Guts only works when poisoned or paralysed. Burn will cancel out the gut's effect, and your machamp will only had it's hp droped, leaving the attack states alone.

Last edited:

Hey Micky!

pikadon92 said:
Guts only works when poisoned or paralysed. Burn will cancel out the gut's effect, and your machamp will only had it's hp droped, leaving the attack states alone.
Get your facts straight. Guts activates during Sleep, Facade doesn't. Also, Burn's halving of attack is entirely negated by Guts, so you'll still experience the 1.5 attack boost.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Willowwhisp said:
Get your facts straight. Guts activates during Sleep, Facade doesn't. Also, Burn's halving of attack is entirely negated by Guts, so you'll still experience the 1.5 attack boost.
So the only problem is sleeptalk right? Machamp may use either Cross chop, rock slide or rest from sleep talk.

Hey Micky!

pikadon92 said:
So the only problem is sleeptalk right? Machamp may use either Cross chop, rock slide or rest from sleep talk.
Sleep Talk isn't a problem... the entire point of the set is to Rest, activate Guts and then Sleep Talk. The only problem with the set is it's dependancy on the roll of the dice. 1st it has to get Cross Chop or Rock Slide, a 2 out of 3shot, usually 1 out of 3 because it needs 1 or the other, and then it needs to hit, which is a 4 out of 5 shot with Cross Chop and a 9 out of 10 shot with Rock Slide.

And for the record: Heracross > Ursaring > Machamp at Rest-Guts-Talking.

Abraace

Sabrina's apprentice
So rest does activate Guts. That's good...

I just bred the Adamant Machop, so it's time to go EV train her. As for the Heracross and Ursaring being better, whilst true, Machamp's one of my favourites, and there's been an increase in fire Pokemon on my rivals teams, making Heracross a risky choice for me(like the Machamp set isn't, but still).

I'm using Shiftry to take advantage of possible sunny day moments against their water types. And also because it's another of my favourites.

Pax Deorum

Tempus Vernum
DragonDance said:
and how exactly are you going to get revenge against me?

And Wailord and Walrien are too of the sh**tyest waters every.

shut up, Walrei is probably the best UU Water type

If this is ingame don't use Sunnybeaming Shiftry unless you have Groudon support due to Sunny Day's low PP uless this is for the frontier. Ingame Shiftry should be Brick Break/Shadow Ball/Explosion/Fake Out preferably with Choice Band. If this is for the frontier then go Sunny Day/Solar Beam/Brick Break/Explosion

Hey Micky!

Pax Deorum said:
If this is ingame don't use Sunnybeaming Shiftry unless you have Groudon support due to Sunny Day's low PP uless this is for the frontier. Ingame Shiftry should be Brick Break/Shadow Ball/Explosion/Fake Out preferably with Choice Band. If this is for the frontier then go Sunny Day/Solar Beam/Brick Break/Explosion
Frontier and Ingame go in Ingame rate Pax.

Status
Not open for further replies.