• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Macho Mag (Peaked 1703 acre on ps and climbing.)

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Welcome everyone, to my newest rmt. I can't remember the last time I posted one here, but I have gotten much more experience since then, but I am still s*** terrible at writing intros. This is a team I made for smogon's dark horse challenge, and after reading some funny pokemon comics and doing some analysis, I picked one of my old favorites, Dugtrio, who I have loved since I first saw him.

And here is a real treat, a peak into my mind with today's teambuilding process.

51.png

So first I picked dugtrio, of course. Now the tricky part was that I was building a team around dugtrio, but dugtrio shines brightest when supporting other teams, most often sun teams. So I was in a tricky situation.

462.png
385.png
51.png

I decided to make a DragneMag team, as I have had mild success with the type in the past. As magnezone is essential, and jirachi is the new magneton, they were both added as well. Plus, I can not think of a single steel type who magnezone and dugtrio can not trap and ohko, not just in this tier, but in the game, bar maybe steelceus, but I have no reason to worry/fear him as he is a tier above me and this team i have got going here.

462.png
385.png
646-black.png
51.png

I then needed three dragons, a little less then the standard four, so I then decided I would strip it to the bare essentials, which required a powerful mixed attacker, a physical sweeper, and a special wallbreaker.

462.png
385.png
646-black.png
381.png
51.png

Latios came quickly to mind, as he is possibly the best dragon type special attacker available to me in this tier.

462.png
445.png
646-black.png
385.png
381.png
51.png

Garchomp was added after a moment of thought, as he not only provides strong physical dragon and much appreciated if not a bit redundant earth stab, he also is one of my favorite revengers, and the premier option and first choice for me when I need one for any team I build.

Onto the team.

462.png

Magnezone @ Expert Belt
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
Magnezone is my main/major trapper for killing most steels, as his ability and movepool match up very nicely for the job. I started off with the standard choice set, but then started experimenting with the set and found that sub worked better then volt switch for the purpose I need mag to fufill. Expert Belt lets me bluff a choiced set, although that plan goes down the shitter when I use sub, so I try to conserve usage of it. The ev's allow for maximum power and retaing the flame typing of hp fire while minimizing confusion and foul play damage as well.

445.png

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 Atk / 252 Spd / 16 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
Garchomp is my revenger and clean-up sweeper, and he fulfills the job absolutely perfectly, I literally could not have asked for a better pokemon. He can outspeed most scarfers, although terrakion and crew give him a little bit of trouble, but he can usually tank a hit not named hp ice and ko back with outrage or earthquake. The ev's allow him to switch into stealth rock the maximum times, while still retaining hefty attack and maximum speed. The basic thinking here is that if I have magnezone and duggy to remove steels, I won't be needing any fire attacks here.

646-black.png

Ice Kyu-b (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 Atk / 236 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
Ah, the fearsome black kyurem. He threatens the entire tier for good reason, and this is his most notorious set. Not much he can't 2hko, especially once the steels are gone. Standard ev's, standard set.

381.png

Lati-O's (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
Latios is my general wallbreaker, and choice sweeper. He has humoungous power, and if you don't have a dragon type, something's gonna die. He also cripples walls very effectively with trick. Iv's, once again minimize confusion and foul play damage.

385.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 24 Spd / 252 HP / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish
Jirachi is my much needed special wall, and plus he can tank a few hits which is highly nescasary. Just a note, I know I just misspelled that. Back on topic, he adds rocks if I can get the chance, which is always nice in this metagame, but more often then not the raw power of my team is enough to force a win. Healing wish is absolutely amazing, I just don't get why more people don't run it. Generally used to pull duggy back from the dead, or I suppose it could be highly useful for bringing my sweepers back, although the latter hasn't yet presented itself to me.

51.png

The Village People (Dugtrio) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Sandstorm
Here he is, the notorious dugtrio. Take a bow duggy. As odd as it might seem for such a frail pokemon, he is really the glue that holds my team together. Sandstorm has proven its worth twice so far, shutting down a rain to neutralize toxicroak, and removing sun that would have caused both venusaur and victreebel to spell doom for me. Sandstorm is definitely underrated, and absolutely no one sees it coming.​

So that's my team, please leave a comment, and i hope to see you in the sixth gen.

Lastly a few replays to prove my team's worth.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-48780525

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-48782157

ger9119

Quality team, the only suggestion is changing Earth Power for Dragon Claw on KyuB especially since your whole team pretty much handles steel types theres no need for earth power on it

Last edited:

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Quality team, the only suggestion is changing Earth Power for Dragon Claw on KyuB especially since your whole team pretty much handles steel types theres no need for earth power on it

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out, but I generally lead with kyurem, so the ground coverage is need at the beginning on the match.

Klaus™

Banned
Hey man this is a much better team than pretty much anything else in the rmt section. However im here to help you fix some problems. First off, it looks like scarf keldeo gives you some trouble, as in the hands of a good player, it completely rips holes in your team, in rain or or when paired with tyranitar(latios is less of a problem). I suggest that you switch to Choice Scarf Latios. It really helps with muh better revenge killing in general, as latios is the fastest scarfer in OU, outside stupid **** like scarf alakazan or something. 2 scarfers is now kind of redundant for this team, so id switch to Yache+SD Garchomp as this gives you a much better win condition as well as usage of magnezone. It also pairs well with kyurem's wallbreaking power. I also second ger-bear's suggestion of Dragon Claw>Earth power just because simply because of you forgoe dragon stab you lose to a lot of stuff. Lastly, I personally recommend Zen Headbutt>Iron Head because it allows you to hit keldeo better.

GL with tour team!

Moonclawz

Aura Trainer
Hi Ghost of the Forums!

This is a pretty interesting team and I like your Dugtrio set with Sandstorm.

On Magnezone, I would recommend Leftovers over Expert Belt, as this helps increase Magnezone's longevity and balances the health loss of Substitute. If you use substitute frequently, it's going to be hard to bluff a Choice item, so Leftovers is a little better.

I agree with Klaus and ger9119 that Dragon Claw is more useful on Kyurem-B than Earth Power because Dragon Claw gives you another STAB move with good coverage that also takes advantage of Kyurem-B's massive attack stat.

On Latios, I'd recommend Psyshock over Thunderbolt since Psyshock helps greatly against Chansey and Blissey, and also is good against the many fighting-types (Terrakion, Keldeo, Breloom...) in this tier. Psyshock also does more damage to Tentacruel and is a reliable STAB move for when you don't want the special attack drop of Draco Meteor. I also agree with Klaus's suggestion of making Latios a Scarf set, as this allows you to check Pokemon like Scarf Keldeo and Terrakion a lot more easily.

If you make Latios your Scarfer, you could consider a Choice Band set for Garchomp, or maybe a Sub SD set.

I noticed that you have 2 ground type weaknesses, while you only have one ground type immunity. In addition, you lack a Pokemon that can tank strong physical hits, and can act as a pivot. For this reason I recommend an offensive pivot Landorus-T over Dugtrio with Earthquake, U-turn, Stone Edge, and Stealth Rocks. This also gives you a secondary fighting-type resist, as before Latios was your only resist. With Stealth Rocks on Landorus-T, you can give Jirachi Ice Punch or Wish, which would expand its coverage or give your teammates very helpful recovery.

Hope this helps!

The Master Chief

First off i noticed that Donphan and Mamaoswine can cause you some problems. Magnezone is threatened by both, hey both have access to ice shard which is threatening to garchomp and latios, jirachi can't outspeed max speed Mamoswine and will take a hard hit from an EQ, Kyurem can be threatened if the opposing Mamoswine has SuperPower and has life orb, Dugtrio obviously gets 2HKO by both if sash isnt broken by entry hazards. Also you lack a phsyical wall. Landorus-T will demolish jirachi. Your team also leans more to the phsyical side so intimidate can be annoying. Keldeo can give Garchomp, Dugtrio, Kyurem, and Magnezone some problems.

Magnezone: I suggest replacing Magnezone for Electitivire. Reason why is that Electivire has an amazing movepool with great stats along with it. I suggest this set:
Electivire@Expert Belt
Mild, 52atk, 252sp.atk, 204spe Motor Drive
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake

With this set you're able to nail most walls and have greater coverage than magnezone. Flamethrower OHKO Ferrothorn out of rain, 2HKO Sturdy Forretress, OHKO Non sashed Breloom (which serve as a massive threat to magnezone if they run a technician set) Cross Chop OH-2HKO Tyranitar, Earthquake OHKO Jolteon.

Garchomp: Well a Skarmory can take whatever Garchomp dishes. I suggest using SD over Outrage and replace scarf with Yache or Leftovers. That way you can boost you're attack power and not be locked into a move.

Black-Kyurem: There's really no need for EP seeing as Garchomp and Electivire (if you consider on using it) Can both EQ any fire or steels you need to get rid of (like heatran maybe) As said previously by other members Dragon Claw is much preffered for 1. You can take advantage of it's Dragon STAB and 2. It's an excellent move to have to fully use it's phsyical power. Most of his checks are checked by Electivire and Garchomp (Scizor, Jirachi, Heatran, Metagross, Ferrothorn, etc)

Latios: I agree with moonclawz. You should scarf latios and give it psyshock. I also feel that it could possibly be replaced with gyarados. Afterall you do need intimidate support and gyarados's weakness are handled by electivire and jirachi/garchomp. Plus you have 3 dragon/ice weak pokes so yeah

Jirachi: I like the Healing Wish idea. I tried it myself and it was pretty decent.

Dugtrio: Seems fine with me

Last edited:

McDanger

First off i noticed that Donphan and Mamaoswine can cause you some problems. Magnezone is threatened by both, hey both have access to ice shard which is threatening to garchomp and latios, jirachi can't outspeed max speed Mamoswine and will take a hard hit from an EQ, Kyurem can be threatened if the opposing Mamoswine has SuperPower and has life orb, Dugtrio obviously gets 2HKO by both if sash isnt broken by entry hazards. Also you lack a phsyical wall. Landorus-T will demolish jirachi. Your team also leans more to the phsyical side so intimidate can be annoying. Keldeo can give Garchomp, Dugtrio, Kyurem, and Magnezone some problems.

what does that have to do with anything, latios stops offensive lando t and garchomp can revenge, while kyurem can get slower ones. Also why would you bring up that mamo is a problem and not address it, and i`m not going to go into electivire

Mamo is a big threat to your team, but I think it can easily be fixed with some move set changes. I think your team may benieft more from stealth rock garchomp so you can put pressure on walls and the opponents team in general. This also lets you switch jirachi for bulky swords dance/CB scizor whichever you prefer. They help as yache rock garchomp takes a large chuck out of or KOs keldeo plus he can set up on threats that check latios and garchomp and likes magnezone and dugtrio removing steel threats. Lastly i think scarfed latios may be more helpful then speced to revenge more threats to the team like scarfed keldeo and scarfed terrakion.

I wont put the set cause i`m pretty sure you know them

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I will try 'em out later, and post my results.

Klaus™

Banned
Magnezone: I suggest replacing Magnezone for Electitivire. Reason why is that Electivire has an amazing movepool with great stats along with it. I suggest this set:
Electivire@Expert Belt
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake

With this set you're able to nail most walls and have greater coverage than magnezone. Flamethrower OHKO Ferrothorn out of rain, 2HKO Sturdy Forretress, OHKO Non sashed Breloom (which serve as a massive threat to magnezone if they run a technician set) Cross Chop OH-2HKO Tyranitar, Earthquake OHKOes Jolteon.

....was electivire really the best thing you can come up with?

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?

I will implement that tonight, thanks.

Hey man this is a much better team than pretty much anything else in the rmt section. However im here to help you fix some problems. First off, it looks like scarf keldeo gives you some trouble, as in the hands of a good player, it completely rips holes in your team, in rain or or when paired with tyranitar(latios is less of a problem). I suggest that you switch to Choice Scarf Latios. It really helps with muh better revenge killing in general, as latios is the fastest scarfer in OU, outside stupid **** like scarf alakazan or something. 2 scarfers is now kind of redundant for this team, so id switch to Yache+SD Garchomp as this gives you a much better win condition as well as usage of magnezone. It also pairs well with kyurem's wallbreaking power. I also second ger-bear's suggestion of Dragon Claw>Earth power just because simply because of you forgoe dragon stab you lose to a lot of stuff. Lastly, I personally recommend Zen Headbutt>Iron Head because it allows you to hit keldeo better.

GL with tour team!
First, thanks for the compliment, dude.

I will try out the scarf lati idea, it seems to work well. The only reservation I have against it is sometimes garchomp's outrage is very useful end game for picking off the half or lower hit point Pokemon remaining, but I like to keep an open mind, and this sounds like a great idea. I think I will be trying either a sub yache or sub salac chomp.

Hi Ghost of the Forums!

This is a pretty interesting team and I like your Dugtrio set with Sandstorm.

On Magnezone, I would recommend Leftovers over Expert Belt, as this helps increase Magnezone's longevity and balances the health loss of Substitute. If you use substitute frequently, it's going to be hard to bluff a Choice item, so Leftovers is a little better.

I agree with Klaus and ger9119 that Dragon Claw is more useful on Kyurem-B than Earth Power because Dragon Claw gives you another STAB move with good coverage that also takes advantage of Kyurem-B's massive attack stat.

On Latios, I'd recommend Psyshock over Thunderbolt since Psyshock helps greatly against Chansey and Blissey, and also is good against the many fighting-types (Terrakion, Keldeo, Breloom...) in this tier. Psyshock also does more damage to Tentacruel and is a reliable STAB move for when you don't want the special attack drop of Draco Meteor. I also agree with Klaus's suggestion of making Latios a Scarf set, as this allows you to check Pokemon like Scarf Keldeo and Terrakion a lot more easily.

If you make Latios your Scarfer, you could consider a Choice Band set for Garchomp, or maybe a Sub SD set.

I noticed that you have 2 ground type weaknesses, while you only have one ground type immunity. In addition, you lack a Pokemon that can tank strong physical hits, and can act as a pivot. For this reason I recommend an offensive pivot Landorus-T over Dugtrio with Earthquake, U-turn, Stone Edge, and Stealth Rocks. This also gives you a secondary fighting-type resist, as before Latios was your only resist. With Stealth Rocks on Landorus-T, you can give Jirachi Ice Punch or Wish, which would expand its coverage or give your teammates very helpful recovery.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the rate. I am intrigued by Psyshock, sounds good. Through overwhelming response, lati will be tested as my scarcer, and dragon claw will be added to kyub. But I should have mentioned this before, the whole point of the dark horse challenge is to use a > 4% usage Pokemon, so dugtrio cannot by any means leave. Plus he is amazing on this team.

Electivire@Expert Belt
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake

With this set you're able to nail most walls and have greater coverage than magnezone. Flamethrower OHKO Ferrothorn out of rain, 2HKO Sturdy Forretress, OHKO Non sashed Breloom (which serve as a massive threat to magnezone if they run a technician set) Cross Chop OH-2HKO Tyranitar, Earthquake OHKO Jolteon.

Garchomp: Well a Skarmory can take whatever Garchomp dishes. I suggest using SD over Outrage and replace scarf with Yache or Leftovers. That way you can boost you're attack power and not be locked into a move.

Black-Kyurem: There's really no need for EP seeing as Garchomp and Electivire (if you consider on using it) Can both EQ any fire or steels you need to get rid of (like heatran maybe) As said previously by other members Dragon Claw is much preffered for 1. You can take advantage of it's Dragon STAB and 2. It's an excellent move to have to fully use it's phsyical power. Most of his checks are checked by Electivire and Garchomp (Scizor, Jirachi, Heatran, Metagross, Ferrothorn, etc)

Latios: I agree with moonclawz. You should scarf latios and give it psyshock. I also feel that it could possibly be replaced with gyarados. Afterall you do need intimidate support and gyarados's weakness are handled by electivire and jirachi/garchomp. Plus you have 3 dragon/ice weak pokes so yeah

Jirachi: I like the Healing Wish idea. I tried it myself and it was pretty decent.

Dugtrio: Seems fine with me

Firstly, I have to say no to electivire. Even I know he is horrible under any situation. And plus, that removes my main steel trapper, which is highly detrimental to any proper dragmag team. Other then that, I feel like I will try out what you said.

what does that have to do with anything, latios stops offensive lando t and garchomp can revenge, while kyurem can get slower ones. Also why would you bring up that mamo is a problem and not address it, and i`m not going to go into electivire

Mamo is a big threat to your team, but I think it can easily be fixed with some move set changes. I think your team may benieft more from stealth rock garchomp so you can put pressure on walls and the opponents team in general. This also lets you switch jirachi for bulky swords dance/CB scizor whichever you prefer. They help as yache rock garchomp takes a large chuck out of or KOs keldeo plus he can set up on threats that check latios and garchomp and likes magnezone and dugtrio removing steel threats. Lastly i think scarfed latios may be more helpful then speced to revenge more threats to the team like scarfed keldeo and scarfed terrakion.

I wont put the set cause i`m pretty sure you know them

You put up several great points, and I will try them out, but I am leaning towards keeping jirachi on my team. I just find him to be very useful time and time again, and healing wish is excellent and a factor scizor fails to provide. Nonetheless, I will give it a go, as it seems to patch up some holes I have. Thanks.

....was electivire really the best thing you can come up with?

Lol guys, ease up on the guy.

Edit with a replay. Although for some reason, the /ranking command doesn't show the ladder reset. http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-49721603

Last edited:

MCBarrett

MCBarrett
Hey man, pretty nice team you have here. As others have mentioned Mamoswine is a pretty big threat to your team. I think changing your Jirachi to the Shuca Berry set will help you out with that a lot. Shuca Rachi does a fantastic job of setting Stealth Rocks and luring in and taking out Ground types with either HP Ice or Icy Wind. Thunder and Flash Cannon round out the set for taking out Politoed, making it easier for you to change the weather with Dugtrio, and for having added coverage and STAB.

Now with this change you do lose Healing Wish which I will agree is an amazing move and it fits well on more Offensive Teams like the one you have. If you want to keep it on your team you could change your current Latios to Latias and use Healing Wish over Trick. You do lose some firepower but you have a very strong core of Dragon Attackers so I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Now since you have a better lead, you probably don't need that Ground Type Coverage on Kyurem-B anymore. I would recommend using HP Fire to take care of Scizors and Ferrothorns that commonly switch into Kyub. I would also recommend using Fire Blast over Dragon Claw on Garchomp and using a nature that doesnt reduce Special Attack.

So as you may have noticed with those last two changes I think you could probably tell that I am now going to suggest replacing Magnezone. Between Duggy, Kyurem-B and Garchomp you have more than enough to take care of Steel Types and there is another form of support that your team would really appreciate that it is currently lacking. The support I'm talking about is Rapid Spin support, and I think LO Analytic Starmie would be a great fit on your Offensively oriented team. Besides the brute Offensive Force and fabulous coverage it provides Rapid Spin allows you to keep Duggy's Sash in tact and it allows you to preserve Kyurem-B's longevity much much better which really makes a difference so you can better abuse Substitute and Kyub's fantastic natural bulk.

Hopefully my suggestions helped! Let me know how it works and good luck with the team!

EDIT: I would also agree with mcdanger's suggestion of making Latios (or Latias if you go with my suggestion) Scarfed. Then I would give Garchomp more of a sweeping set with Dragon Gem, Yache or Haban Berry and Swords Dance or Sub over Stone Edge since you have Duggy to revenge KO Volcarona already.

Last edited: