• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Machoke, Machoke Man! (211)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I liked that Ash and friends got the SecretPotion thing over with quickly here and that more time was devoted to Chuck and his Gym. I loved Chuck's introduction and personality; he was so robust and passionate.~ I was disappointed that Ash's Pikachu flopped against Chuck's Poliwrath despite Poliwrath's type disadvantage though, but alas.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I was surprised by the pacing in this episode cuz we got the Cianwood gym battle finished with, some info on the Whirl Islands and other subplots without the episode being too cluttered. I liked how Bayleef won against Machoke.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Meh, Chuck didn't live up to my expectations. His Gym match with Ash just felt rushed and bad overall.

I didn't think it was rushed, it was just slightly less spectacular than some of Johto's other gyms from my perspective, but that's likely due to the Whirl Islands arc that was coming up. ^^

JudySpell

Banned
Chuck versus Ash didn't seem that exciting to me since the main point of Ash going to Cianwood was to get Jasmine's medicine. 5/10

I normally prefer when Gyms get two episodes unlike this one, but Chuck's battle against Ash was still good since Bayleef got screen-time.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Poor Pikachu couldn't even beat Chuck's Poliwrath even with an advantage. Sigh. I liked the entire training sequences that Chuck and Machoke went through however, and I was glad that Bayleef was able to win the Storm Badge for Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was surprised that most of the focus in this episode was on Tanba City's Gym, while the medicine for Mikan's Denryu was a small subplot. I liked watching Shijima and Satoshi stuffing themselves at the Gym, as well as how the Rocket-dan did chores for Shijima's wife. I'm glad that Bayleaf defeated Nyorobon and Goriky, too.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I was surprised that most of the focus in this episode was on Tanba City's Gym, while the medicine for Mikan's Denryu was a small subplot.

Well, Jasmine's assistant took care of that, which gave Ash his chance to fight Chuck at the Gym. So no loss.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's somewhat of a shame that Shijima and Tanba City as a whole only received this one episode of spotlight. I felt that Shijima himself was amusing enough to deserve more screen-time.

Daizy

I call you honey
Chuck reminded me of Goku given his carefree attitude. His battle with Ash felt kinda lame when I think of it. Bayleef vs Machoke didn't have a believable ending.

Leonhart

Imagineer
What I liked most about Bayleaf versus Goriky here was how Bayleaf's Body Slam habit finally came in handy and wasn't used just as a gag.

It's too bad that Ash's trip to Cianwood City didn't really explore the whole island since Ash just went right to the Gym. Chuck was a fun Gym Leader compared to the others Ash had met and I liked how we got to see Ash interact with him during the meal scene. I really didn't think the Gym battle itself was that great although Bayleef made me proud when it defeated Machoke.

I love Chuck. His personality is great and he eats like my dad. I really like how he trains his Pokémon. Despite that I did not like this gym battle, and so far it is ranked second to last. I like how Bayleef carried Ash to a win.

Super hyped for season 5. Season 4 is the worst out of all the OS seasons because of the amount of filler.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Who would have thought that Chuck would appear again after so many years and this episode out of all would be referenced many years down the line lol