1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Magma or Aqua?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation III Discussion' started by RedBlastoise, Dec 30, 2019.

1. RedBlastoise

RedBlastoise Cerulean Blues

Of the two evil teams in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald which team did you like the most, Team Magma or Team Aqua? What influenced your decision to like one over the other?

I liked Team Aqua the most because their goal was more extreme and that helped me take them more seriously as a threat.

2. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I prefer the Aqua-dan (Team Aqua) as well, but mostly because I thought that their outfits resembled pirate clothing, which I liked. The Magma-dan (Team Magma) was much more practical than them, however.

NeedsAName and Lucrei like this.
  3. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Probably Aqua. I especially liked Archie's role in the Adventures manga and how they may have referenced it in the remakes.

Leonhart likes this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I might have missed that reference since I barely remember the updated plot of the remakes. But I will say that although a lot of people liked the redesigns of the Magma-dan and Aqua-dan leaders and admins, I personally thought that they looked awful: in particular I prefer the original R/S/E Aogiri (Archie) design over the buff and tanned version in OR/AS.

5. Lucrei

Lucrei New Member

I originally played Ruby, so I've always had a soft spot for Magma.

Conversely to what RedBlastoise said, I find Aqua's goal to be somewhat ridiculous, while Magma's at least makes sense from an overpopulation perspective.

Their encounter music is much better too in my opinion.

6. Ignition

Ignition Champion SZN

I like Magma as a team more because red is my favorite color and I’m not a fan of big bodies of water. I like Archie, Matt, Shelly, & the Grunts both in character design and personality more though

NeedsAName and Leonhart like this.
  7. RedBlastoise

RedBlastoise Cerulean Blues

Was anyone else confused about admin Tabitha's gender? I always thought Tabitha was a girl's name so I thought he was a girl until I saw him in the cartoon and RS remakes.

8. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I was confused too. There are several names associated to females that apparently were originally suitable for both genders. Ashley is one example. I’ve seen Courtney as a male name and Paige was also originally a boy’s name.

NeedsAName and Leonhart like this.
  9. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

I'll go with Magma, as although I like Kyogre and Water-types in general better, I prefer Magma Grunts' encounter theme and outfits to their Aqua counterparts. I also like Maxie's personality better than Archie's.

10. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I was also confused at the time because I didn't know his Japanese name, and I also thought that his English name was more commonly associated with girls. I disliked his OR/AS redesign though, and I feel that way about all the Aqua-dan and Magma-dan members too, including the grunts.

11. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

Liked Team Magma because they were doing things for the benefit of land dwelling Pokemon which would have been good for humans as well. Team Aqua was just all kinds of crazy and they were the most dangerous team out of the two.

jaden767 and RedBlastoise like this.
  12. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

In a way I thought that the Aqua-dan's borderline insane plan was what made them so unique, to me at least. They seemed to care more about Pokemon than humans, which made them somewhat different from other villainous teams at the time.

RedBlastoise likes this.
  13. jaden767

jaden767 Red Trainer

Team Magma had the better designs but a boring endgame plan compared to Team Aqua. I remember when Team Magma appeared in the show with their glowing shades and they looked so cool.

RedBlastoise and TwilightBlade like this.