• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Magnetism: A BW2 OU Weatherless Team

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
It's about time I gave DragMag a shot. I seriously can't believe it's been an entire generation since I used it. That was back when 4Drag2Mag was actually used. Seems like so long ago now... Anyway, DragMag TEAMS may be in decline now, but DragMag CORES are still out there, still usable. Frankly, I was a bit surprised 4Drag2Mag worked in the Gen Mamoswine was introduced in, but that's besides the point. For those who don't know, the concept of DragMag is basically that if you can remove the Steels, the Dragons can rampage with nothing to stop their Outrages. Magnezone traps Steels and destroys almost all of them (damn you Heatran), hence the Mag bit. The team, as with... Well, every team I make really, is pretty offensive but I've developed a new complete respect for FerroCent cores (and personally love Ferrothorn anyway), so I decided to incorporate that as well. From there, I remembered how badly the lack of a spinner hurt April Showers, the last OU team I made, so I decided on Starmie as it didn't add any crippling weaknesses and always works well for me (provided it isn't adding a crippling weakness). It also makes a nice status absorber. So, here's the team:

373.gif

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Aqua Tail

Not exactly your standard ScarfMoxieMence set, with no Dragon Claw or Fire Blast in sight. There is a reason for that, and its name is BalloonTran. Heatran is the only Steel Magnezone can't kill bar some Scizor variants (although with Banded being the most common, it's pretty easy to come in on a Choice-locked Bullet Punch and get that kill). Earthquake can't hit it with the Balloon, and I'm scarfed so no switching moves for me. Aqua Tail to the rescue! And then there's Brick Break which is not really necessary, but it does hammer Blissey and Dark-types without resorting to Outrage prematurely and hits any Steels Magnezone hasn't killed pretty hard. The main reason I'm running it is because when I tested the team Magnezone was able to remove every Steel bar Heatran, so I was alright to go ahead and Outrage. I don't use much here besides Outrage, and the appropriate move for the Heatran set in question. Unless the rest of their team has a major weakness to Ground. Outrage out-powers the other 2 bar Rain for Aqua Tail or 4x weakness for Brick Break. I think I've used Brick Break maybe once. It does get perfect coverage alongside Outrage though (eat it Kitsunoh!).

635.gif

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
Rash Nature (+SpA, -SpD)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Roost

Hydreigon's not a Dragon I use often, but it's brutally powerful (hehehe, brutally... It's the Brutal Pokemon.... *shot*). Bad jokes aside, it's a wonder I don't use this thing more often. Great mixed attacking stats, great movepool, reliable recovery... Hydreigon's a great mixed attacker/wallbreaker, and this set's its best in my opinion. Draco Meteor.... Just hurts. Raining armageddon on my enemy's head is always fun. Really, really fun. Fire Blast is here mainly for something that survived Magnezone somehow. I'm using it on Hydreigon but not on Mence because Hydreigon can switch its moves up, whereas I'm locked into Mence's move. No reason to lock myself into a move that exists just to finish what something else started when I can lock myself into something that smashes through the other 4 or 5 mons without any trouble. I'll just let Hydrei finish it off. Superpower hits things like Heatran and Tyranitar and Blissey that don't care about the other 2 moves, and Roost is here for recovery. Especially as it offsets the Life Orb recoil really nicely.

462.gif

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature (+Spe, - Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power Fire

This is what makes my Dragons work. It's pretty simple. I come in on a Steel that can't touch me. The aforementioned Band-locked Scizor is a perfect candidate for this, as is any Ferrothorn or Skarmory ever, and any non-Volt-Switching Forretress and almost any other Steel in OU. Lucario is a (really uncommon) problem, as is Cobalion, but really Magnezone can deal with most of them very well. I trap them, Sub and Charge Beam up if it's the last Steel they have, or kill it quick with HP Fire if they have another one I'll need to trap. It's a pretty straightforward set. The Air Balloon offsets the Ground weakness Magnezone has.

598.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

This was a no-brainer for me. It's my favorite Ferrothorn set by far. Stealth Rock is my entry hazard of choice here and it's really the best of the 3. It's easy to set up and it does a fair bit of damage to a lot of things. Leech Seed works nicely with Leftovers for keeping Ferrothorn kicking, and also chips away at the opponent. Thunder Wave is here as it is on every Ferrothorn I ever run because I realized early early on that Ferrothorn is amazing at spreading status. I've paralyzed entire teams with this set. Power Whip is here over Gyro Ball because Gyro Ball clashes with Thunder Wave, prevents me from T-Waving Gyro Ball Ferrothorns before they can do anything to me and has terrible coverage by comparison. This Ferrothorn is the worst nightmare of any non-Focus-Miss carrying Toed.

593.gif

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Jellicent goes with Ferrothorn like Nutella goes with everything. Ferrothorn takes Physical hits, Jellicent takes Special. Ferrothorn takes all of Jellicent's weaknesses, Jellicent takes Ferrothorn's. Ferrothorn sets hazards, Jellicent Spinblocks. Jellicent Burns, Ferrothorn walls the burnt Physical attacker. Need I say more? They synergize so well it's not even funny. Scald is STAB and has a nice Burn chance. Shadow Ball is secondary STAB, mainly for Ghosts and Psychics. Will-O-Wisp is for Burning physical threats and Ground-types Ferrothorn can't Paralyze, and Recover keeps Jellicent rolling. This also helps a lot against Heatran, which helps my Dragons in general.

121.gif

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Hello spinner! I needed a spinner and Starmie seemed like the perfect fit for the team. It gets STAB Hydro Pump and just murders all non TrapperTran in general, it gets BoltBeam coverage, it has Natural Cure to absorb status, it has Rapid Spin, it has phenomenal coverage, it has everything I was looking for in my spinner. Its typing is just awesome for the team too, removing my 3/2 Fighting weakness while adding none at all. As if having Jellicent around didn't already help with that. But Hydro Pump murders a lot of things. BoltBeam coverage is resisted by the Magnets, Lanturn and that's about it. Yeah, the coverage rocks. And only Lanturn resists the entire set. Rapid Spin does not count for that, although it's really funny to pick up the occasional KO with it. I do that with Excadrill sometimes in Ubers. The only thing funnier than KOing with Rapid Spin is KOing Arceus with Rapid Spin.​

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
What's up, Loco1234? :D I see you're also making new teams. Haha. Anyways, like always, I'm here to fix a couple things that you may have already noticed, perhaps.

So lets get started. Right off hand, I see a slight potential weakness to Terrakion. Scarfed Terrakion variants really do a number on your team if Stealth Rock are up on your side of the field. Also an imminent threat are the SubSalac variants whom occasionally appear in competitive. The best way you could possibly fix this would be to sub one of you current team's members to Scizor. Any variant of Scizor would do, really. Bulky SD and CB Scizor fulfil the role all the same. Sadly, this would only add a Fire weakness with replacing anything outside of Ferrothorn(Which I suggest not doing since you are making effective the Ferro-Cent core) or Magnezone, so the options are pretty limited. It really comes down to how Terrakion is dealt with through your prediction and skills, really.

;212;
Scizor @ ¹Leftovers/ ²Choice Band
Trait: Technician
Adamant nature
EVs:
¹252 Hp/ 40 Attack/ 216 SDef
²248 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 8 SDef
- Bullet Punch
- ¹Bug Bite/ ²U-Turn
- ¹Swords Dance/ ²Quick Attack/ ²Pursuit
- ¹Roost/ ²Superpower

Moving on, I notice the infamous Modest Agility LO Thundurus-T being a threat to your team as well. Much like the Terrakion threat I previously mentioned, Thundurus-T is somewhat of a rare sight nowadays, but has not lost any of its presence as a potent threat in the current OU metagame. Your only solution to it would be to hope that either Scarfed Salamence, Starmie or Ferrothorn can handle it before it sets up an Agility. Where as, Salamence will fear HP(Ice), Starmie will fear Thunderbolt/Thunder & Ferrothorn will fear Focus Blast. That aside, Jellicent is 2HKO'ed by said Thundurus-T variant and could maybe pull off a revenge kill after Thundurus-T has racked up some much appreciated residual damage from LO and hazards, attacks, etc. I may be mistaken, but I believe Ferrothorn is also 2HKO'ed by Focus Blast, meaning it may be able to do some damagr with Power Whip or in setting up Leech Seed. Either way, something is probably gonna go down without a sufficient counter. This leads me to press Scizor once again for your team. However, using a set of Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Quick Attack & Pursuit/Superpower should suffice seeing as your team fears little from Heatran with Salamence, Hydreigon, Jellicent & Starmie all have the potential to effectively remove it before Scizor needs to be brought out.

Lucario is also an option for your team in place of my suggestion of Scizor. Lucario, with +2 priority in Extremespeed and access to STAB Bullet Punch, should do well for your team, too. It also has better Speed and offensive potency than Scizor in some ways. This is also a good solution of ridding you of the two previously mentioned threats.

;448;
Lucario @ Life Orb/ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
Adamant nature
EVs: 252 Attack/ 4 SDef/ 252 Spd
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Bullet Punch/ Crunch
- Swords Dance

Honestly, this is a very solid team and, as I've mentioned before, I can only see rare threats being a problem for it. It's biggest issue may be that it consists of double typing and weaknesses; Dragon/Dragon/Steel/Steel/Water/Water. But it seems to support itself very nicely. Another thing that concerns me is the rate at which Starmie must find itself being worn down by hazards and LO recoil without the support of Leftovers or Recover. Magnezone, too, would seem to appropriate having Leftovers over Air Balloon, too, so to set up more Substitutes if ever faced with a Jirachi whom happens to be equipped with an unexpected Fire Punch.

Other than that, I see nothing else that could really be changed. All that aside, I hope this helped and good luck with the team. :)

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give some of that a shot!

Hayate Ayasaki

One of the most solid looking teams I've seen in a long time I always loved using teams with 2 dragons and 2 steels except my two steels were always scizor and magnezone.

An unusual tech but I've tried it quite a bit and it does work, try replacing roost with tailwind on hydreigon your team doesn't really have the abilty to take advantage of it but I've noticed hydreigon tends to force a lot of switches(sick of draco meteoring into those pink blobs?) so I swapped the evs around so that hydreigon outspeeds venasaur in the sun(Hasty Nature) and its life orb'd super power can 2hko blissey with leftovers it works in a similar vein to how rock polish genesect used to work, people are expecting u-turn or a coverage move so they switch in something to shrug it off only to face the nightmare that was a +2genesect :L its very situational but hydreigon causes switches so often that its easily pulled off.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
I like the idea, I'm just a bit hesitant because Hydreigon gets worn down fast by things like hazards and its own LO when I switch it for Draco Meteor and Superpower drops and even though I do have a spinner said spinner also gets worn down rather fast. I'm thinking Recover over Ice Beam there as well. I'll give Tailwind a try, but I like Roost for keeping it in the game and counterbalancing all that switching it tends to do, as well as the LO recoil. And like you said, it does force switches so it's easy to get Roosts off.

Hayate Ayasaki

roost is more viable competitively but its usually the less mainstream ideas that win battles, like back when people used to counter scizor with a gyarados I always used a wacan berry scizor xD

I'd dump T-bolt for recover before I'd dump ice beam, ice beam is invaluable against gliscor and the situations where you havent disposed of their steel-types yet and they have a dragon thats faster than hydreigon(bear with me this is going to get complicated) and when you switch in Salamence because hes the only answer to said dragon you'll end up being locked into outrage vs a steel type starmie can threaten out said dragon and easily deals with most steel types with hydro pump,although T-bolt would be nice for skarmory alright I think hydro pump is still a 2HKO anyway, so yeah if you dont want that situational-situation to happen hold on to ice beam xD ferrocent should be able to deal with those kind of situations anyway :p

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
(bear with me this is going to get complicated)

Trust me bro, I understand complicated in Pokemon, I've been playing competitive since Gen 4 and play a lot of CAP and BH haha. That was a lot simpler than most matches I play turn out to be, especially in the aforementioned CAP and BH tiers.

Gliscor isn't a problem for Starmie, Hydro Pump wastes it well enough. I'm thinking I'm still going to switch out Ice Beam, because first off that situation's pretty uncommon and second outside of that situation Thunderbolt hits more of what I need hit. I'm still not even sure if I'm switching a move there, because Recover hasn't been absolutely necessary thus far. By the time Starmie is worn down, the game's usually all but over anyway, it's either there's nothing he can do to stop my sweep or there's nothing I can do to stop him cleaning out my last couple of Mons.