• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Maison: Super Doubles (need advice)

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
This is the first time I'm attempting to build a double battle team, but I'm not sure exactly what makes a good team in this format. I powered easily through Maison's regular double battles, but I noticed the pacing is completely different from single battles. I was planning to get a team like this for the super double battles:

Gardevoir @ Light Clay
Timid, Telepathy
HP: 252 | DEF: 6 | SPE: 252
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Heal Pulse
-Sunny Day
Gardevoir would be my main support unit. She sets up screen(s), has a way to heal her partner, and can activate Sunny Day which benefits the other members on my team. Her Telepathy ability lets her avoid Volcarona's Heat Wave.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Timid, Flame Body
HP: 240 | DEF: 252 | SPE: 16
-Roost
-Quiver Dance (/Tailwind?)
-Bug Buzz
-Heat Wave
Volcarona is the star of my team. She's there to set up, take hits, and sweep.

Arcanine @ Life Orb?
Adamant/Jolly?, Flash Fire
HP: 6 | ATK: 252 | SPE: 252
-Sunny Day
-Morning Sun
-Crunch?
-Flare Blitz
Arcanine is the physical attacker. He benefits from Sunny Day and when paired with Volcarona, his ability will trigger to further boost his Flare Blitz.

Lilligant @ Heat Rock?
Timid, Chlorophyll
DEF: 60 | SPA: 252 | SPE: 198
-Protect
-Sunny Day
-Giga Drain
-(no idea for the 4th slot)
Lilligant gains double speed in sunlight. Her main purpose would be to get rid of ground/rock/water types. Protect will shield her from Volcarona's Heat Wave.

I'm not sure on all the items and movesets. Would a team setup like this work at all in the Battle Maison's Super Double Battles?

Pokefree

Your Death: A Gls Wings Talonflame with it Priority Brave Bird. Instantly kills volcarona, gardevoir and Lilligant. try think of a Solution for that. and Rotom-W is common as well. you will encounter those often. Just a tip

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Your Death: A Gls Wings Talonflame with it Priority Brave Bird. Instantly kills volcarona, gardevoir and Lilligant. try think of a Solution for that. and Rotom-W is common as well. you will encounter those often. Just a tip

Really? They use different Pokémon in the double battles? Because from what I've seen in the single battles up to the 50's and all the double battles I've played with a random test team so far I haven't encountered a single Gale Wing Talonflame or Rotom-W yet...

coolerdynastic

Single are different from Doubles. And just a little note Heat Wave will not damage your own allies, Lava Plume does =)
Dont be dependant on the Sun, your sunny day doesnt last forever, 1 or 2 pokemon benefits from the Sun should be enough.
Charizard Y should be good enough to set up a sun team and dont forget you can mega evolve, so make use of this advantage since AI doesnt. With this you wouldnt waste a useful turn in setting up Sunny Day

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Single are different from Doubles. And just a little note Heat Wave will not damage your own allies, Lava Plume does =)
Dont be dependant on the Sun, your sunny day doesnt last forever, 1 or 2 pokemon benefits from the Sun should be enough.
Charizard Y should be good enough to set up a sun team and dont forget you can mega evolve, so make use of this advantage since AI doesnt. With this you wouldnt waste a useful turn in setting up Sunny Day

Okay, that's good to know about Heat Wave.
If a weather team is discouraged to use, would it be better to just pick 4 above average Pokémon that all have different typing, but play individually? I could run something like this:
Volcarona (bulky), Nidoking (Sheer Force, SPA-based), Gardevoir (offensive) and Luxray (Guts + Facade)?

coolerdynastic

Okay, that's good to know about Heat Wave.
If a weather team is discouraged to use, would it be better to just pick 4 above average Pokémon that all have different typing, but play individually? I could run something like this:
Volcarona (bulky), Nidoking (Sheer Force, SPA-based), Gardevoir (offensive) and Luxray (Guts + Facade)?

My point is that in a 4 pokemon team, just choose 1 or 2 that will benefit from the Sun and the other 2 which are neutral to it.
I doubt the sun can last till the 4th pokemon is out correct?
A sun team can get completely walled by an Aerodactyl or Archeops since majority who benefits from the sun are fire and grass types.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
My point is that in a 4 pokemon team, just choose 1 or 2 that will benefit from the Sun and the other 2 which are neutral to it.
I doubt the sun can last till the 4th pokemon is out correct?
A sun team can get completely walled by an Aerodactyl or Archeops since majority who benefits from the sun are fire and grass types.

Yeah, I've done a few rounds with a test team, and can't get past the 20s in Super Doubles. I'm going to change strategy on this. I was thinking of going with these 2 in the lead:

Volcarona @ Lum Berry?
Timid, Flame Body
HP: 6 | SPA: 252 | SPE: 252
-Protect
-Quiver Dance
-Heat Wave
-Bug Buzz
Volcarona will use Quiver Dance on turn 1 under the protection of Greninja's Mat Block.

Greninja @ (not sure about item...)
Timid, Protean
-Protect
-Mat Block
-Ice Beam
-Surf
Greninja will use Mat Block to give Volcarona the chance to successfully pull off a Quiver Dance.

I'm not sure about the other 2 I should put in this team yet. In my test team I played with these 2 in the front, which did decently well:

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Modest, Synchonize
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Moonblast
-Focus Blast

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid, Sheer Force
HP: 6 | DEF: 252 | SPE: 252
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Earth Power
-Sludge Bomb

I might consider going for a Drought Ninetales @ Heat Rock as a suicide/stalling unit to switch into with Greninja to further boost Volcarona's power. That way I can make use of Greninja's Mat Block again later on.

Last edited:

coolerdynastic

Yeah, I've done a few rounds with a test team, and can't get past the 20s in Super Doubles. I'm going to change strategy on this. I was thinking of going with these 2 in the lead:

Volcarona @ Lum Berry?
Timid, Flame Body
-Protect
-Quiver Dance
-Heat Wave
-Bug Buzz
Volcarona will use Quiver Dance on turn 1 under the protection of Greninja's Mat Block.

Greninja @ (not sure about item...)
Timid, Protean
-Protect
-Mat Block
-Ice Beam
-Surf
Greninja will use Mat Block to give Volcarona the chance to successfully pull off a Quiver Dance.

I'm not sure about the other 2 I should put in this team yet. In my test team I played with these 2 in the front, which did decently well:

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Modest, Synchonize
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Moonblast
-Focus Blast

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid, Sheer Force
HP: 6 | DEF: 252 | SPE: 252
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Earth Power
-Sludge Bomb

I might consider going for a Drought Ninetales @ Heat Rock as a suicide/stalling unit to switch into with Greninja to further boost Volcarona's power. That way I can make use of Greninja's Mat Block again later on.

You have an advantage in using Mega Evolution, make use of that.
My previous sun team was
Charizard@Charizardite Y
Timid
-Dragon pulse
-heat Wave
-Air Slash
-Solarbeam

leafeon@ Rocky helmet
Adamant,Chlorophyll
HP: 6 | Attack: 252 | SPE: 252
-helping hand
-leaf Blade
-Dig
-Synthesis

Needless to say I used Helping Hand to boost Charizard's power and is likely to OHKO any1
The other two are those who are neutral from the weather
Haxorus@Choice Scarf
Adamant,Mold Breaker
HP: 6 | Attack: 252 | SPE: 252
-Dual Chop
-Rockslide
-Poison Jab
-brick Break

Alakazam@ Focus Sash
Timid, Flame Body
-Psychic
-Dazzling Gleam
-Energy ball
-Shadow Ball

This team survived at the 43th streak and I would not mention how I lost because is frustrating and makes me sad. Thinking of a rain team but I will have to start breeding all over

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
You have an advantage in using Mega Evolution, make use of that.
My previous sun team was

This team survived at the 43th streak and I would not mention how I lost because is frustrating and makes me sad. Thinking of a rain team but I will have to start breeding all over

That team looks good... did it lose due to missing >100% accuracy moves?
I've thought about using Mega Evolution, but honestly I don't like Charizard. I don't really want to breed and train one when I have my Volcarona. After 1 Quiver Dance she's faster than a Charizard Y, and after a 2nd she'll be faster + stronger than Charizard Y + Helping Hand. Granted, it does cost me an extra Pokémon slot. The only level 100 Pokémon I currently have that can Mega Evolve are Absol and Gardevoir. Absol is a total glass cannon that dies as soon as an opponent looks at it. Gardevoir is strong, but she kinda lacks that speed, even when Mega Evolved. Well, I guess I could try Mega Gardevoir... she's as fast as a Charizard Y, so it can't be all that bad. And replace her Moonblast with Dazzling Gleam.
Focus Sash would probably be a good one on the Greninja, since it lacks defence, and he's key to my strategy.

But thanks for the posts. Seeing your team gives me some ideas for what to change on mine.

coolerdynastic

Most of the attacks are 100% accuracy and the reason I lost because it actually missed 3 times despite 100% accuracy and I got hit by Hurricane three times which is 70 accuracy. What a day...