1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Major Forum Upgrade Incoming

Discussion in 'Serebii.net Discussion' started by Serebii, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded At this point, who knows?

I doubt it because that's easily abusable and most forums don't allow it, but that would be really great.

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

So it's more of a darker shade? That would be great, as long as it isn't something like neon green

3. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Here are the changes I’d like to see:

1.) Allow certain topics to have new posts in even if it’s been longer than six months since the last post. The exception should be specific to Clubs as I said before where a TV show may only get one or two seasons each year. Rupaul’s Drag Race and MLP typically only has one main season of new episodes and then there are around at least five months of nothing happening. It is unfair that my Clubs are now closed because of limitations from the current season scheduling. Drag Race recently has two seasons, one main and one All Stars but the All Stars airs first and then the main season follows for a couple months and typically ends by early summer. Then there are no new episodes until late winter. That’s a good six months I can’t post in my Club to keep it alive because I can’t double post which is another problem in the Club section if you are the owner of a Club. MLP has a main season that is typically split in half with an average of two months break and three or four months with no episodes after the season finale. I lost that Club too mainly because of the rule against double posting and no new posts in a few months.

2.) Allow double posting under specific conditions and in the Clubs section. If I have news in a Club and I was the last member to post and no one else posted in a month, I don’t want to edit my last post just to tell others my news since the edit won’t go into the Recent Posts section and even if someone did see it, they might think it was a month ago. I also don’t want to wait until someone else posts just to tell my news.

4. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

No idea why the staff is being so coy about what forum software they're switching to, especially if it's XenForo. Like I said, pretty much everyone is jumping ship from vBulletin to XenForo, so IDK what there is to hide. Most of Serebii's competitors are already using it.

5. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

It's XenForo 1 specifcally, for now.

6. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

So it's confirmed XenForo? Dunno why Serebii didn't just say it then. You guys are confusing the hell out of me.

But whatever. Still excited for the update.

7. Hydrohs

He probably just didn't think the specific software mattered to most people.

8. I can finally alternate my avatar from obscure, pretty boy JPRG characters! Hurray!

9. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

Personally I hope that there'll be a bit more rule enforcement going on. It sometimes feels as if the rules are just for show when offending posts are just staying there for months after being reported.

10. OshyHikari

OshyHikari c l a r i t y

Nice to see that custom avatars for non-staff will finally happen with this new-and-improved Serebii. I got sick of constantly using official Pokemon art because it got boring fast.

11. Torpoleon

Torpoleon Well-Known Member

Wow, this sounds great!

I haven't checked the forums nearly as much as I used to, but I will see how the new update looks. Looks like there will be some neat changes, including highly requested things.

12. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

No one really answered this question; will bb codes still work for profile/visitor messages? If not, I think there's an add on if Xenforo doesn't have those for their profile messaging system.

13. Hydrohs

No idea, will have to wait until the uograde is complete.

14. M.P.

M.P. Retired

Well, this definitely sounds great! Especially the custom avatars (I'll be able to use my custom Gengar avatars here).

I'm also hoping that moving to Xenforo means there will be an alert system similar to Smashboards (which apparently uses XF too).

15. Genos

Genos Old Town Road

A surprise to be sure, but a very welcome one.

16. Kung Fu Ferret

Kung Fu Ferret The Next God

Another Pokémon forum that I won't mention switched to Xenforo awhile back, and I must say, it's a good change for us, too!

17. spyrois2cool

spyrois2cool Woof!

I do have a few questions about the upgrade.

In VMs, will we be able to use the ;151 ; kind of coding for Pokémon sprites? I would LOVE that! And what about styles of the forum look? Will they look the same? Will there be more options? Will I still get the nostalgic look of Serebii during my golden age on here? (which by the way, is the Electric Type Style on laptops, and Dragon Type style on my phone).

And what about character limits in VMs and PMs? Will that be raised? And what about the number of PMs allowed in one’s inbox? and how do I embed a YouTube video in VMs?! I can’t figure it out!

And that’s all I can remember/come up with for now. I’ll ask about any more questions when they come to mind!

18. Hydrohs

No, that's something Joe would have to add in, while it's possible that might return, I'm not making any promises on his behalf.

None of the existing styles will be making the transition, again no promises for the future.

That will likely stay the same

You can't do this with the current system, whether or not it will work on XenForo we'll have to wait and see.

19. spyrois2cool

spyrois2cool Woof!

Ah. Thanks. But no styles as in...I won’t have the option? That’ll be a big bummer for me. I love these two looks I use. Oh well! Might as well get used to it and say farewell to my styles...

And I just thought of a couple more questions!

Will we still have the default avatars? If not, then I’ll need to get the ones I like saved to my phone.

And what about the URL of the site? Will that change at all?

Profile interface. Any changes?

And the important question I believe I meant to ask before. Desktop notifications and notifications to my phone somehow. (Whether it be an app in the App Store or whatever means necessary.) Will that be a thing? It would help me greatly, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

20. bobandbill

bobandbill Winning Smile Staff Member Super Mod

Up to Joe/other admins there if they want to port them all.
    Forum url will change while the current one will redirect.
    Probably will look something like this: https://xenforo.com/community/members/xon.71874/
    It could be but would require plugins. That may also require a more updated version of the forum to what we'll be initially using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.