• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Major Forum Upgrade Incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah. Well I gotta get saving and quickly! Just case! I’ve already done a great deal of the avatars I like.

As for url, that’s good! ^^ But I’ll have to maybe update my bookmarks or something...

That website? It looks...no offense but the interface felt like crap on my phone. Is there a desktop version available on the phone? Is that what the style will look like? It also looks similar to freeforums.net. Not that that isn’t good, I just have a little bit of trouble with it on my phone.

Plugins? For the site or a laptop? I’m confused. If it’s coding related, I’m all ears about learning!

And just be on sure: Everything will transfer properly? My PMs, and EVERY single VM I have ever revived in my entire life here on Serebii? My VMs mean a lot to me. I just wanna make sure. (I tend to be a bit of a worry wart on data and stuff for some reason).

Oh! And will there by any access o Serebii during the time period that the upgrade is taking place?

Last edited:

keepitsimple

site of lies
That website? It looks...no offense but the interface felt like crap on my phone. Is there a desktop version available on the phone? Is that what the style will look like? It also looks similar to freeforums.net. Not that that isn’t good, I just have a little bit of trouble with it on my phone.
Not trying to be rude here but why would you want to use the desktop version of anything on a phone? That sounds dreadful.

No that's not *exactly* what the color scheme and layout will look like, just a similar example to give you a rough idea.

Plugins? For the site or a laptop? I’m confused. If it’s coding related, I’m all ears about learning!
He means it will require Joe to install plugins to the forum.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I currently only get the desktop version on my phone as well. Is there even another version? I mean, yeah it sucks, the website is way too wide and the buttons too small to really be usable on a small phone screen, but as far as I always knew that was it, just like for the main site.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ah. Well I gotta get saving and quickly! Just case! I’ve already done a great deal of the avatars I like.

As for url, that’s good! ^^ But I’ll have to maybe update my bookmarks or something...

And just be on sure: Everything will transfer properly? My PMs, and EVERY single VM I have ever revived in my entire life here on Serebii? My VMs mean a lot to me. I just wanna make sure. (I tend to be a bit of a worry wart on data and stuff for some reason).

Oh! And will there by any access o Serebii during the time period that the upgrade is taking place?

If you check Bulbagarden, some of their layout looks similar to what a vbulletin layout looks like, including a user's profile; at least it looks like it to me when I'm using their bulbagarden classic skin

RaisingHeartSetUp

With the new system, will I actually get an update when something that I'm subscribed to has been updated? Because currently I don't get any kind of notification.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So, back to the topic of notifications, can you say what specific notification features are being implemented? Because in Serebii's case, some of them might be too overwhelming for users and feel like they might crash the server. Subscribed thread notifications should be relatively harmless, and maaaybe you could get away with quotes and mentions, but I'd especially be concerned if you implemented likes. I mean, there's some days on Bulbagarden I go away for a few hours and end up with 10+ notifications on a busy day. On a site like Serebii, I could see there being like, 50 or 100. Pretty much the reason why I assumed you guys simply opted not to (vBulletin can actually do some of those things).

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm definitely looking forward to having a custom avatar. But will there be a blog feature like on Bulbagarden? I would totally love that!

I doubt it. Bulbagarden had a lot of difficulty adding blogs to XenForo after they switched. I can't remember the exact issue, but blogs don't really work well on XenForo.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I doubt it. Bulbagarden had a lot of difficulty adding blogs to XenForo after they switched. I can't remember the exact issue, but blogs don't really work well on XenForo.

I think it was super glitchy with posting comments or something like that. Probably caused some server issues as well

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Are the avatars we have now still going to be available after the update?

You can use whichever avatar you want, so you can just use an official image or whatever.

With the new system, will I actually get an update when something that I'm subscribed to has been updated? Because currently I don't get any kind of notification.

Subcriptions work just fine on vB, you just need to enable email notifications, but XenForo is different, so you will be able to receive forum notifications as well as email if I understand it correctly.

So, back to the topic of notifications, can you say what specific notification features are being implemented? Because in Serebii's case, some of them might be too overwhelming for users and feel like they might crash the server. Subscribed thread notifications should be relatively harmless, and maaaybe you could get away with quotes and mentions, but I'd especially be concerned if you implemented likes. I mean, there's some days on Bulbagarden I go away for a few hours and end up with 10+ notifications on a busy day. On a site like Serebii, I could see there being like, 50 or 100. Pretty much the reason why I assumed you guys simply opted not to (vBulletin can actually do some of those things).

We are disabling likes I believe. Everything else will be available.

I'm definitely looking forward to having a custom avatar. But will there be a blog feature like on Bulbagarden? I would totally love that!

We have no plans to enable blogs of any sort.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
We are disabling likes I believe. Everything else will be available.

All right cool. Yeah, forum notifications on subscriptions, quotes, and mentions would definitely be helpful. Makes it easier to reply to people instead of having to constantly refresh the page and sift through entire pages to have a conversation.

keepitsimple

site of lies
your test forum shows up on Google so a lot of us have seen it already. Is that what the finished forum style will look like?

Also i like that we're getting notifications on subscribed threads

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
All right cool. Yeah, forum notifications on subscriptions, quotes, and mentions would definitely be helpful. Makes it easier to reply to people instead of having to constantly refresh the page and sift through entire pages to have a conversation.

I agree.

your test forum shows up on Google so a lot of us have seen it already. Is that what the finished forum style will look like?

Also i like that we're getting notifications on subscribed threads

While I'm not going to guarantee that's final, there's a good chance that's what we'll go live with at this point.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Very excited for custom avatar.

So, I have two questions:
1. Will Visitor Messages be transferred to a new forum?
2. Will there be a viewing conversation page?

Daizy

I call you honey
Will custom avatars be restricted to static images (such as jpegs and pngs) or will animated avatars such as gifs be allowed?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Very excited for custom avatar.

So, I have two questions:
1. Will Visitor Messages be transferred to a new forum?
2. Will there be a viewing conversation page?

1. Yes
2. No idea

Will custom avatars be restricted to static images (such as jpegs and pngs) or will animated avatars such as gifs be allowed?

Right now we haven't talked about limiting to specific image types, but no promises.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Right now we haven't talked about limiting to specific image types, but no promises.

The only things I'm worried about with animated images or gifs is that they can be a major resource hog if there are too many on a page, and they can be taxing on older computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.