• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Make Or Break Moments with Characters for you

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
For Dawn/Piplup, I think I really started to dislike them when Dawn got Cyndaquil and Piplup acted like a brat for no reason but being obsessed with being Dawn’s number one pokemon. And this against a newly hatched Cyndaquil. Piplup was always annoying but this made me kinda loathe him. Dawn disappointed me too because she didn’t hold Piplup accountable for his obvious flaws

I think it was more of a sibling-esque rivalry thing than anything with the oldest feeling jealous of the youngest getting all attention. If I recall it didn't take long for Piplup to get over it.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I think it was more of a sibling-esque rivalry thing than anything with the oldest feeling jealous of the youngest getting all attention. If I recall it didn't take long for Piplup to get over it.

It was still really annoying though and Piplup got over it really fast which made the whole thing confusing. For me that wasn't a make or break moment because I never liked the little penguin from the start so my opinions of him were already low. :p

DatsRight

Truth be told I find it disappointing the jealousy plot isn't done more often, and with Pokemon that could utilise the angle more for development over the usual egomanical jerk ones. I found it a shame none of the SM signatures underwent it for example, since they'd all been established as being the primary focus with their trainer for a long time and now all of them were gaining what was being far more pointedly depicted as 'siblings'. Popplio was used to being Lana's wish fulfilment partner for example, giving her that Dewpider or having Sandy learn Bouncy Bubble could have really stifled its territory and given it something of a character arc (the lack of kinda broke it for me and made it one of the blandest starters).

Ironically the only one that underwent it was Pikachu a series later, which was less believable because Pikachu in spite of his heavy use, is pretty much used to being the middle child to powerhouses and babies by that point.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't typically like jealousy subplots: the Chikorita episode where she threw a tantrum and ran away from the Pokemon Center all because she was envious of Pikachu's closeness to Satoshi was probably the worst jealousy subplot that we ever got.

I don't typically like jealousy subplots: the Chikorita episode where she threw a tantrum and ran away from the Pokemon Center all because she was envious of Pikachu's closeness to Satoshi was probably the worst jealousy subplot that we ever got.
Leonhart,
I've always wanted to know what your top seasons, worst to best

DatsRight

That one is more bad because not only do they make Chikorita an especially nasty and aggressive case of this but they never really quite imply she's actually got better from it or is sorry to Pikachu. It's a case where Team Rocket interfering doesn't really connect the dots.

Again I think it would work if they chose Pokemon that fit that dynamic and they played more on their insecurities than just making them nasty competitive jerks to the character in question.

Like take the example I made with Popplio. Let's say Sandy learned Bouncy Bubble and could pull off bubbles even bigger than her and thus Sandy got a bit more attention from Lana. Now let's say rather than just Popplio being an ornery jerk towards Sandy over it, it just became more obsessed with training and making better bubbles, cause it fears it will become redundant in Lana's whims and dreams and thus it won't be able to make her happy anymore and will be cast aside. Maybe it does this to the point it overexerts itself and Lana notices and ends up giving it reassurance. Though maybe what Popplio has learned does play into it learning a new move or evolving. This could have been a cool way to develop on Popplio and even Sandy if done well, rather than just being that one-off story where it acts like a petty jerk to its teammate. This is something a lot of the jealousy subplots tend to overlook a bit too much in favour of "Wahhh, you upstaged me! I HATE YOU!".

Applecorp

Truth be told I find it disappointing the jealousy plot isn't done more often, and with Pokemon that could utilise the angle more for development over the usual egomanical jerk ones. I found it a shame none of the SM signatures underwent it for example, since they'd all been established as being the primary focus with their trainer for a long time and now all of them were gaining what was being far more pointedly depicted as 'siblings'. Popplio was used to being Lana's wish fulfilment partner for example, giving her that Dewpider or having Sandy learn Bouncy Bubble could have really stifled its territory and given it something of a character arc (the lack of kinda broke it for me and made it one of the blandest starters).

Ironically the only one that underwent it was Pikachu a series later, which was less believable because Pikachu in spite of his heavy use, is pretty much used to being the middle child to powerhouses and babies by that point.

What's the point of making the Pokemon act jealous when most of them get along great? Whenever they make Pikachu get jealous it feels extra forced because he isn't the kind of Pokemon who gets mad often so I don't want more forced drama like that again.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Harley only cheated once, and that’s only by him giving his Ariados to James and Meowth. Plus unlike team rocket he doesn’t blatantly cheat. He manipulated or tease May I’m either screwing up her performances or Psychologically messing with her. During the battle frontier Jesse was playing by the books besides the last contest. And after Sinnoh Jesse never cheats ever again.
She took Salvia's ribbon

Leonhart

Imagineer
LilligantLewis said:
She took Salvia's ribbon

Princess Salvia gave her the ribbon willingly though, which I don't think is necessarily against the rules. I admit that it's still a questionable scenario, but I personally don't think it was as bad as Musashi's blatant rule breaking in AG's Contests.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:
I always thought that Jessie should've declined taking it. It wasn't hers to have because she didn't win it herself. Same with the ribbon that James won for her.

I figure that the writers decided that it would be easier on them if they could just give her another ribbon without putting in more work later on. It's probably why some of her other Contest victories were barely shown and happened mostly off-screen.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I figure that the writers decided that it would be easier on them if they could just give her another ribbon without putting in more work later on. It's probably why some of her other Contest victories were barely shown and happened mostly off-screen.
well they expanded on this and made it worse in XY&Z where Jessie wins her FIRST Princess Key in XY&Z08, and suddenly has three, with neither of the other two being shown AT ALL, forget about barely like you say about DP, by XY&Z19.

RafaSceptile

Yeah I'll never get how anyone could stand such an annoying Pokemon with so much lost potential. His fight with Decidueye was a complete joke and I still cringe thinking about it.

Because with that "Lost potential" it has still one of the Best Battle Records in comparison with most of non-ases Ash's Pokemon. He is a comedy relief but a competent one in Battles, unlike others like Totodile or Oshawott.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Break- Professor Kukui when I saw him going into class to teach without shirt. I mean, whats going on with him? Hes a pervert and disgusting.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Break- Professor Kukui when I saw him going into class to teach without shirt. I mean, whats going on with him? Hes a pervert and disgusting.
Alola is based on Hawaii and they are a bit more relaxed when it comes to shirts and stuff. Plus Kukui being shirtless in class is completely harmless compared to that doctor from A Chansey Operation that kept hitting on Misty and even made suggestive comments about her body and that was just the first season!

Flashyspark

Oh come on how is that gross? He lives in a tropical environment and we've seen plenty of bare chested guys before. I've been to the real Hawaii and seeing shirtless guys is normal there because of the humidity. There's no stigma against that unless you want to make this about gender inequality.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Oh come on how is that gross? He lives in a tropical environment and we've seen plenty of bare chested guys before. I've been to the real Hawaii and seeing shirtless guys is normal there because of the humidity. There's no stigma against that unless you want to make this about gender inequality.
Bruno comes to mind. He has always been seen shirtless. Chuck is another and that guy is overweight. Being shirtless doesn’t make a guy some perv. The doctor I mentioned earlier is one and he is far worse because he makes extremely suggestive comments to Misty about her body and she is a child.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I see, and have u seen there teachers that teach kids while being half naked?
I wasnt talking about men going top-less in general. I explicitly talked about men that teach kids top-less. So dont be a smartie pants.

Last edited: