• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Make Or Break Moments with Characters for you

LilyTwo

Personally, I like to interpret it as "Paul's portrayal changes as Ash's view changes." The show is mainly told through Ash's POV, which before DP had never conditioned him to believe in anything other than the usual "friendship conquers all" mantra. Paul gets written as a straightforward nasty douche because Ash isn't capable of seeing him in any other light. But as the series goes on, Ash's respect slowly grows, and the show's portrayal changes to reflect that.

I just interpret it as: Tomioka liked Paul too much and wanted to force me to like him too, so he retconned his character in order to make Paul look better.

I didn't fall for this trap.

DatsRight

The thing about antagonistic rivals like Paul is that everything is coming down to how they are finally defeated and if the way the protagonist triumphs over them is befitting and satisfying enough. Paul was kind of glossed over in the end, which made all his past build up poorer in hindsight because it only furthered him as a karma houdini to many.

This is the same issue I have with Harley, his slimy bully persona felt like everything was building up to a cathartic comeuppance he never really received. How could you not give a ridiculous acting egomaniac like Harley a fitting humiliation conga?

There isn't a make or break moment specifically for these kinds of characters until the end, when everything gets reevaluated.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Yeah hardly anyone liked the guy because he was arrogant. Not to mention boring I mean just look at his design. He was like a bad version of Wally. :p

I've seen people call him the anime's version of Mitsuru, but other than his green hair and usage of Roselia, I don't really see it. Maybe if Ralts had been his ace Pokemon it would be a realistic comparison, but as things stand I think it's sort of a stretch.

DatsRight

I always thought Drew was a better rival than Harley because Harley took every thing personally but Drew kept his cool other than that time when he yelled at May.

Also Drew was legitimate competition while Harley was an antagonistic cheater, a role they may as well have kept to Jessie rather than demoting her even lower down the heirarchy. I also found it bewildering Harley never got in trouble for playing dirty or bullying competitors, while Jessie and even May at least got disqualified the odd time. It felt a bit like Faba where they had to kind of break the story to make his role work.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shuu was the stronger rival of the two, but I always liked Harley more since he reminded me of the Rocket-dan trio, only less incompetent since he clearly knew what he was doing and only failed because of plot devices [except when he beat Haruka that one time].

DatsRight

Shuu was the stronger rival of the two, but I always liked Harley more since he reminded me of the Rocket-dan trio, only less incompetent since he clearly knew what he was doing and only failed because of plot devices [except when he beat Haruka that one time].

I guess that's the thing though, he didn't really serve great as a personal obstacle for May, since it was often cheating vs plot armour, who can bullcrap their way to victory rather than who can win through skill.

Even DP Jessie served as a better opponent for Dawn because there was some level of experience in play between them.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Harley is like the goofy/silly one among the "important" characters. He's like Dan from the Street Fighter series or Hercules from the Dragon Ball series, both weak but their charisma had their charm on their own.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:
Harley is like the goofy/silly one among the "important" characters. He's like Dan from the Street Fighter series or Hercules from the Dragon Ball series, both weak but their charisma had their charm on their own.

In retrospect, I feel bad for Urara. She was basically created to be Harley's doppelganger, yet she never quite lived up to the hype because she lacked his charisma.

DatsRight

In retrospect, I feel bad for Urara. She was basically created to be Harley's doppelganger, yet she never quite lived up to the hype because she lacked his charisma.

It is a shame, but in hindsight I wonder if it's because they decided to just use Jessie for the role this time. I appreciated Jessie getting to actually develop and be competent in DP's contests. While with Harley in AG, she was stuck as a redundant second comical rival and was reduced to a jobber.

Team Rocket actually getting to progress and become good at some things was an interesting twist to them. I especially loved how the ramen episode ended up a chekhov's skill for one contest they won.

Applecorp

Harley might have been an ass but he was funny to watch. Him tricking Max into giving him intel and his alliance with Jessie, James and Meowth were some of his best moments. I always wanted him to be a full time villain. :D

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Harley might have been an ass but he was funny to watch. Him tricking Max into giving him intel and his alliance with Jessie, James and Meowth were some of his best moments. I always wanted him to be a full time villain. :D
Harley was either a hit or miss for me. Some of the episodes he was in were good for his character and there was nothing wrong with his scheming side but then you have episodes where his hatred of May is extremely petty that even OS Ash didn’t dislike Gary for such ridiculous reasons. I’m mainly talking about how that girl who stole and ate his last snack looked like May and that’s why he hates her which is just ridiculous because Harley looks to be about fifteen or older and May is only ten and this incident happened when he was about five and May was a literal baby if she was even born when the event happened.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:

I thought that his alliance with the Rocket-dan was hilarious, mainly because it was clear to us that he was using the trio, yet it seemed like Musashi actually thought she had the advantage in terms of underhandedness. Even if Musashi had beaten Haruka and kept her end of the bargain, Harley would've blasted off the Rocket-dan in an instant.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

DatsRight

I thought that his alliance with the Rocket-dan was hilarious, mainly because it was clear to us that he was using the trio, yet it seemed like Musashi actually thought she had the advantage in terms of underhandedness. Even if Musashi had beaten Haruka and kept her end of the bargain, Harley would've blasted off the Rocket-dan in an instant.

I thought AG was the lowest point for TR, and I think it was because they kept getting easily outdone even by equally low tier antagonists like Harley. ANYONE plus their grandma could make TR their straw loser in that series (except Butch and Cassidy apparently, which shows how much they had fallen from grace as well). It was actually getting kinda painful to watch them they had sunk that low.

Harley felt like a petty ridiculous antagonist, a character that could be funny but was boosted as more of a threat than he actually was, pushing TR even further down the chain, and never really getting his comeuppance. It felt like an egomaniacal manchild that spent his days obsessively bullying a little girl over some deranged reason should have gone out in a fittingly pitiful humiliation conga, it's weird he always got to keep his dignity.

Actually, did AG and DP punish ANY of their non-TR villains/assholes? I remember karma houdini moments happening a lot in those two series.

DP kept TR pitiful and moronic as well, but by then it had gotten so bad that they liked switching it around as a twist sometimes, letting them have odd moments of competence or actually ACCOMPLISHING something.

Applecorp

DP kept TR pitiful and moronic as well, but by then it had gotten so bad that they liked switching it around as a twist sometimes, letting them have odd moments of competence or actually ACCOMPLISHING something.

Funny how they were at their dumbest in Sinnoh but that was the series where they got credit for beating a rival villain team and got a promotion from Gio at the end.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I’m currently watching XY as a memory refresher and I never realized how much I liked Korrina. We were really robbed of out of not having her being a main companion but I realize at the time there was this “set” rule that MC based Pokegirls can’t be skipped two generations in a row so basically Misty—May—Dawn—Iris—Serena with Journeys kinda breaking that pattern since this time it’s just Goh. Anyway a “make” moment for me was definitely when she was battling her grandfather for the first time and couldn’t figure out what Lucario wasn’t obeying her.
Korrina was a terrible character though. I don't think I could have stomached having mega Lucario shoved down our throats for over 140 episodes. Along with Korrina having a super obnoxious voice in the English dub lol

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet

Sham

The Guardian of War
Korrina was a terrible character though. I don't think I could have stomached having mega Lucario shoved down our throats for over 140 episodes. Along with Korrina having a super obnoxious voice in the English dub lol
I'm not watching the dub so can't really comment on that. I mean I'm not sure why most people hate her besides her having a Lucario but I like her personality in general.

DatsRight

I'm not watching the dub so can't really comment on that. I mean I'm not sure why most people hate her besides her having a Lucario but I like her personality in general.

From what I remember she was voiced by Lisa Ortiz, who has a tendency to use the exact same voice for most of her 'chirpy young girl' characters (eg. Amy Rose, Alexis).

I feel like Korrina as she was conveyed was only really meant to last one arc, at the very least they would have had to expanded her character and team a fair bit more to make her work a whole series, not that it was impossible per se.