• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Make the game harder- Ingame Challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Hello everyone. Here I'll give a list of ways to make the games more challenging, for those of us that have completed it too many times to count anymore...

Scramble mode- 5 people recommend you one pokemon each. Your 6th is your starter, and you use only those pokemon on your list. Found
here.

Monotype mode- You play through the game using a single type. Dual types are allowed if they have your chosen type, as are pokemon that will evolve into that type. If you can't catch one of your type before the first gym, trade for an EGG! EGG ONLY!! or use your starter until you can- but no dragons/ghosts. Full rules and a thread here.

EASY:

No running away- Self explanitory. Never run from a wild pokemon, fight every trainer.

Gym Challenger mode- Only take to a Gym the same number of pokemon as a Gym leader has- how is it fair when it can be 6 on 2, for example, against Whitney?

MEDIUM:

No saving before legendaries- (includes the Snorlaxes, in this case)

HARD:

Limited items mode- don't use any item that isn't required to finish the game (items like the HM surf)- includes Pokeballs, healing items, TM's etc - use none of them! Note: You MUST choose Totodile, or you can't complete this mode!

Single pokemon mode- Get your chosen pokemon ASAP and never use anything else. I heard about a guy who did this with a weedle on red- and won.

Hardcore mode- Any pokemon that faints gets released. Death is permanant!

For scramble and monotype mode, post on the relevant thread. If you want to post your progress on any other modes, feel free to post here.

Challengers:

Lifesharker - Monotype (water)
Jage - Hardcore mode
Floofeh Kitten - Limited Items mode
Surfer Treecko - Gym Challenger
Treespyro - Monotype (Grass)

Last edited:
I did a single pokemon run in Red with a Fearow, it was a lot of fun. Hardcore mode sounds pretty fun too. I'll probably be trying one or more of these soon.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
HArd core sounds harsh what if your oppenent uses persih song on u and u only ahve one poemon left?

Well firstly, do any of the ingame trainers use perish song? and secondly, thats why you always keep at least one pokemon in your PC- so you don't have to restart if your squad gets wiped out :). The whole point of this mode is it discourages people from just trying a gym leader, or the elite four, over and over again- that would require a lot of spare pokemon this way!

EDIT: When i tried this mode, I lost one pokemon to Whitney (R.I.P Phanphy), one to Jasmine (R.I.P Golbat). Then i got to the Elite four, where i lost my Typhlosion, Poliwrath, Electabuzz and Pidgeot to Lance. I got my remaining Venemoth and Lapras, got my lvl 5 Eevee and Togepi out of the PC, went and got the Tyrogue and caught a Growlithe, then trained them on and off for several months (i really couldn't be bothered to do it continuously) before going to Kanto.

Last edited:
HArd core sounds harsh what if your oppenent uses persih song on u and u only ahve one poemon left?

Then you're dead. Sayonara.

And lifesharker, how did you get a Phanpy before Whitney? Did you trade it into your game?

squirrel

YoShee: Y'know the route inbetween Cherrygrove and New Bark? And you know the part where you can head north to a closed off part of the route between Blackthorn and Cherrygrove? In the morning there, you can catch a Phanpy, but only in Crystal.

I'm going to do the Harcore challenge. So going to do that.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Have fun with it squirrel. Keep us updated if you want to.
And yeh, thats where i caught my phanphy. Morning only- the earlybird catches the worm, as they say!

Finally, a way to make a pathetically easy game harder. I''m not gonna do it, though, cuz I lost my Crystal.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Finally, a way to make a pathetically easy game harder. I''m not gonna do it, though, cuz I lost my Crystal.

Do one of them on another version, then.

SkinnySweatyMan

People think hardcore mode is tough? Limited items mode seems harder to me. Let's see, you get your starter, Togechic, Evee/Umbreon/Espeon, Tyrogue/Hitmon/top/lee/chan. I think that's it. I guess something else from the Odd Egg if you have Crystal.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
People think hardcore mode is tough? Limited items mode seems harder to me. Let's see, you get your starter, Togechic, Evee/Umbreon/Espeon, Tyrogue/Hitmon/top/lee/chan. I think that's it. I guess something else from the Odd Egg if you have Crystal.

Yup, thats it as far as i know. That mode was easier in RBY, where you got the starter, magikarp (for gyarados), lapras, hitmonchan/lee, eevee, and if you were playing yellow, all three of the red and blue starters, giving you a lot more choice.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
I'm not going to buy a whole video game just for this challenge.

You don't have to, I assume you have at least one of the Pokemon games- these challenges (with the possible exception of the limited item mode) can be done on any generation, not just GSC. I'll get round to putting this up for other generations sometime soon.

Jage- if you want to post your progress, feel free to do it- on the monotype thread I put a link to at the beginning.

Last edited:

Xtra

You will be missed:(
I have a couple of questions about the Gym Challenge Mode:

1.Can we use a full team against the Jr.Trainers scattered around the gym?
2.What about the Elite 4? Four of them use only five pokemon, while Lance Has six. Can we take six pokemon for that, or are we limited to five?

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
I have a couple of questions about the Gym Challenge Mode:

1.Can we use a full team against the Jr.Trainers scattered around the gym?
2.What about the Elite 4? Four of them use only five pokemon, while Lance Has six. Can we take six pokemon for that, or are we limited to five?

1. Yes, you can use a full team against the junior trainers. Not that you'll ever need to, mind (possible exception; Claires gym)

2. Hmmm....I think it would be unfair to send people in with only five to fight five opponents in a row, so I'm going to say six. if you want to do it with five, be my guest.

EDIT: If you want to, take six but only use five in any one fight until the Champion. If all five you use in that fight go down, go back to your last save or restart the elite four run.

Dancing Melon

Those challenges sound like so much fun. As soon as I revive my Gold or my Crystal version I think I'm going to try the single Pokemon mode or the limited items mode. ^^ Question though - with the limited items mode, you wouldn't be allowed to get items that you see laying around, except for the Waterfall TM and things like that, right?

Last edited:

iamnotiangibson

EV Trainer
Dang. Hardcore mode is ruthless. There's no way I could finish the game like that.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Those challenges sound like so much fun. As soon as I revive my Gold or my Crystal version I think I'm going to try the single Pokemon mode or the limited items mode. ^^ Question though - with the limited items mode, you wouldn't be allowed to get items that you see laying around, except for the Waterfall TM and things like that, right?

As i can never remember what items are what lying around (everytime I'm like; Oh, its a HM :) ), feel free to pick up anything you want, and sell it if you like having money. The rule only says don't use them; if you want a bag full of junk you're not allowed to use, be my guest.

Dancing Melon

As i can never remember what items are what lying around (everytime I'm like; Oh, its a HM :) ), feel free to pick up anything you want, and sell it if you like having money. The rule only says don't use them; if you want a bag full of junk you're not allowed to use, be my guest.
Hehe, that's what I figured. I'll probably end up selling whatever I'm not allowed to use so I'm not tempted. :p

Hopefully I can revive my Crystal soon ...

Status
Not open for further replies.