• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Making a 5th Gen Team for Pokemon Sun and Moon (Single Player and VGC)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Okay so I've decided to make another 5th Gen Team based around Pokemon I really want to use but never got around that. I haven't built the team yet but I have planned it out and put some suggestions and thoughts out there. What do you think of my ideas here? Do you have some better ideas? Also, I am keeping my team down to these Pokemon except for Team Member 2. If you do have any suggestions for other Pokemon for Team Member 2, it must be only from the 5th generation and hopefully a 5th gen Pokemon I don't have yet.

1st Team Member
Torrent/Shell Armor Samurott or Contrary Serperior
Samurott Set
252 Atk/252 Sp. D or 252 Spd
Assault Vest (Sp. D) or Normalium Z (Spd)
Encore (Z-Encore for Speed boost)/Aqua Jet
Sacred Sword
Liquidation
Knock Off

So I already have a Samurott but wanted to do another one due to Sacred Sword. On the other hand I'm not sure about it because GameFreak might actually give Samurott a huge update in one of the future generations before the Gen V remakes come out, the most obvious one that people have been demanding being Shell Smash.

Serperior Set
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
Contrary Ability
Focus Sash?
Glare
Leaf Storm
Reflect
Protect

2nd Team Member
Okay. I really cannot decide who should be my 2nd Team Member. There are just so many competitively strong or cool-looking Pokemon in the 5th Gen that it is so hard to choose, at least from my opinon. So here are the Pokemon I've decided I want as my 2nd Team Member

Sawsbuck - I like Sawsbuck's Winter Design and he finally got something great to go with his Serene Grace ability, Headbutt. Not to mention Sawsbuck does actually have other good moves as well like Horn Leech. Despite his weaknesses, I'm pretty sure I can make him into a Pokemon not to be underestimated

Swanna - I like Swanna's design and it just recently got Aqua Jet but honestly out of the four Pokemon I want as my 2nd Team Member, this one is definitely the hardest to make it a threatening Pokemon. Other Pokemon got there weaknesses but they also have a lot of strengths that I believe make up for it. Swanna on the other hand, great design but very hard to work with due to it's average stats and movepool.

Zebstrika - Despite having a smaller movepool, I can see Zebstrika still being quite the threat and a good counter to flying and water types out there if I choose Samurott over Serperior. Problem is though, he kind of has his Wild Charge and Thunderwave role filled out by Klinklang who's also got one of the best setup moves out there, Shift Gear.

Archeops - This one seems to be the most likely. The Golisopod of the 5th Generation, or maybe the other way around, Archeops easily makes a great Pokemon to take your opponent by surprise right from the start and if your lucky, it might still retain it's stats and be back to finish the job. Still that defeatist ability is pretty problematic. On the other hand, his Rock/Flying type actually covers a lot of types that the other Pokemon can't cover.

3rd Team Member
Krookodile
Ability Intimidate
Item Chople Berry
Earthquake
Knock Off
Snarl
Protect

I prefer Intimidate over the other abilities as I feel this potentially not only adds bulk to Krookodile but to the rest of my team as well.

4th Team Member
Klinklang
Ability Clear Body
Item Metal Coat/Scope Lens/ King's Rock
252 Atk/252 Spd
Gear Grind
Shift Gear
Thunderwave
Wild Charge

I always thought Klinklang had one of the coolest designs and was unique thanks to it's very small but creative moveset of the 5th generation. With Fairy Pokemon gone rampant, I think Klinklang would be an interesting counter against them, especially Mimikyu.

5th Team Member
Beheeyem
Ability Analytical
Item Assault Vest or Choice Specs
252 Sp. Atk/252 Sp. D or 252 HP
Psychic/Psyshock
Thunderbolt
Trick (Choice Specs) or Signal Beam (Assault Vest)
Shadow Ball

So after doing the calculations, holy cow Choice Specs Analytical Beheeyem can one-shot most OU Pokemon. So I'm thinking of using him as a revenge killer who can one shot Pokemon like Garchomp on the other hand, he's pretty threatening as a semi-tank with Assault Vest but loses the one-shot power against most OU threats.

6th Team Member
Mienshao (Shiny)
Ability Inner Focus
Item Life Orb
252 Atk/252 Spd
Bashful Nature
Fake Out
High Jump Kick
U-Turn
Knock Off

Honestly Mienshao is the reason why I wanted to start a new 5th Gen team in the Sun and Moon games in the first place. I CAUGHT A SHINY MIENFOO!!!

Last edited:

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Like the use of only Gen 5 mons:

• Leftovers for Serperior? Possibly Light Clay, those’d be better, imo.
  • Second team member: From the 3, I’d easily go with Archeops. Better Movepool, Better Flyer than Swanna. Might I suggest Cofagrigus or Jellicent?
  • Krookodile: why not Crunch over Snarl?
  • King’s Rock or Muscle Band on Klang. Could do better than a Metal Coat at least.
Rest seem fine. Might even go with Eelektross as your second ‘mon.