• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Making a Sign-Up - read for advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aswertyuiol

Cold turkey.
are you allowed to make your rpg in the rpg section and then make the signup form in this section?

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
Chilax and give it a rest, you don't need to be hardcore. If I was your friend, I would advise you to be kinder. If you would just be a teensy bit kinder and explained, then she would have understood.

Dude, the staff need to be strict. They are like the police of the forums. That post obviously took a long time to write, so how would you of liked it if someone completely ignored it and made some silly sign up?

I hate to been seen as being mean but its that you can't have a character that shortly written and people don't learn if your soft on them.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
I made this sign up for this RPG http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=541080

----

Name: Fern
Species: Chikorita

Physical description: She looks like most Chikoritas except she wears a small peace sign pendant as a memento from her previous trainer.

Personality: Fern is rather quiet. She keeps to herself but she is more than willing to help. She believes that life is precious and absolutely refuses to kill anyone, no matter how evil they are. She is very diplomatic and can gain trust easily. She dislikes battling but she has some ability to defend herself. She is quick to pick up on emotions and will often comfort someone that needs it. If she is given an order by someone that knows what they are doing, she will fallow it.

History: Fern was a gift to a woman during a bridal shower. During the early years of her trainer's life she often helped take care of the baby by getting supplies like dippers with Vine Whip. She helped calm the baby down with her sent and even babysat him a few times. When the child turned 10, she was his starter Pokemon. The two had a bond like a brother and a sister.

All was not well though. After 4 days in their journey the red skies came. Fern and her trainer knew nothing of what was going on. One of the meteors landed right next to them and corrupted her trainer. When he started to attack Fern she ran away as fast as she could. After she found shelter she thought about what happened. She decided that she would somehow get her trainer back to the way he was. She still has no knowledge of the ADF.

Move Set: Vine Whip, Sleep Power, Tackle, and Leech Seed. Those were the move she had when she was hatched. Due to a lack of training, she hasn't learned any new moves.

Equipment: None
Alliance: Vigilante

Janice Quatlane

helloooo ladies
Wondering if anyone could analyse and review my new character....

Name: Opal

Trainer type: Coordinator.

Description: Opal is a tall, thin girl. She tends to be quite pale. She has greyish blue eyes that don't really stand out in any way. She has shoulder length brown hair, which can only just be scrapped into a ponytail. Her hair tends to fall in her face, however, she usually just leaves it there. She wears a long black skirt, with a multicoloured bead belt, and a black vest top. Sometimes, when it is cold, she will put on a a large skull-patterned scarf as a shawl. She wears worn out silver lace- up combat boots on her feet.

Personality: Tries to be kind and caring, but tends to snap. As a coordinator, she is surprisingly good at admitting defeat. She doesn't enjoy being caught in the middle of arguments. She is usually quite frustrated at people who can't take care of Pokémon, and tends to give them a piece of her mind. She hates shallow people who believe that the key to winning contests is how cute or pretty you and your Pokémon look. A fan of grass type Pokémon.

History: Opal started off on her journey like a normal 10 year old, picking Bulbasaur as her starter. After around a year, Opal was involved in an accident, sending her and her Ivysaur back home. When she was 14, she carried on with her journey, deciding to become a coordinator. As her family had moved to Unova, she was able to pick another starter Pokémon, a snivy. She now travels with a Venusaur, and a servine.

Please tell me if you find any RP's or make any suitable for her! Thank you! :)

RainbowMagikarp64

When I Evolve...
Name: Resinal Juniper
Age: Age can range from 14-27, depending on the Roleplay.
Appearence: Resinal's light brown hair falls to his shoulders messily most days, as he never has made a habit of brushing it. His eyes are a deep sea of blue that most women often get lost in, despite his personality. He has pale skin, much like his mother, Aurea. He can be 5'1-7 depending on the roleplay. He often wears a navy blue and white trainer hat tilted to it's right. He wears a loose white shirt under a light blue jacket and dark denim skinny jeans. He wears black and white sneakers, and socks. They aren't visible, however.
Personality: Resinal is often carefree and just enjoys living without limits. He appears rebelious at some points, though it's just him trying to be himself. He's a bit of a dreamer and doesn't like to work like his mom. He enjoys writing, though it doesn't seem like it at first. He's close to his grandfather and Bianca, who he has a small crush on, despite her energetic personality, which he tends not to like in people.
History: Resinal was born in New Bark Town. He spent a majority of his childhood trying to learn from his mother, though it was all in vain. He later told his mother that he didn't want to research Pokemon, but to battle with them. He was sent out a few months before Bianca, Cheren, Hilda, and Hilbert. He ran into the group and met Bianca, who he found had the same goal as him: to find what they wanted to be. He visits the four from time to time, and is currently attempting to replace Clay once the gym leader retires.

If you need me to add to this, don't be afraid to tell me.
Also, if the roleplay you want me to join requires other info, please tell me via PM.
Thank you.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
Alright, I have had an RPG Sign-up closed yesterday, called Pokémon: Black Seas. I WILL be doing it over, with more depth and rules right off the bat. I will be completely revamping my SU thread, so when it is done, I hope it does the RPG section justice. This is my first RPG, and it's been a while since I've writen anything, but I hope you check it out when it's done.

imafancyman

Pokegym Elec. Leader
Advice please?

Name: Corey Genisburg
Appearence: Corey sports a variety of clothing depending on the season. In the spring and summer, he wears a layered black v-neck with blue sleeves pulled up. His bed-head style dark blonde hair barely reaches his shoulders on the back, with it messy and short on the front. Corey wears partially faded denim shorts and white sneakers.

In the fall & winter, however, he sports a grey pull-on skier's cap with a small pocket on the side. He wears a plain thermal grey tee and faded black jeans. Corey's shoes, however, stay the same.
Personality: Corey is a happy-go-lucky kind of guy who will take any challenge, big or small. He loves winning, but takes losing very lightly as well. He iss the kind of person who you'd hear was having a party in a 3 story home, and would invite everyone. Everyone in his neighborhood knows him, even the not-so-cool neighbors. He is single, for all you ladies out there, and will do anything if dared.
History: Born in Pallet Town, he was a born adventurer. After all, his father was the one-and-only Red... but people were tough on him when he first started at a new middle school in Unova. They laughed at him for having a father who's name was a color. He didn't care, because he would always "get them back", if you know what i mean. Corey was a born troublemaker, and frequently got in trouble. Eventually, he switched to a 'better' school, and met 4 friends: Hilbert, Hilda, Cheren: and Bianca. They were older than him, but showed him the badges and pokemon they had got on their journey. (This is right after B&W 1)

Psychic

Really and truly
Hey all, I'm actually remaking this thread to provide more information and advice for how to make a good sign-up! If there's anything in particular you'd like to have covered in the remake, don't be shy to ask! :>

~Psychic

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
I'm usually horribad at personalities. Do you have any advice on how to make it so they're not short? I usually do them last cause I dread that form field the most. Even more info on personalities would be nice if you can manage it.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
Hmm, to be honest, I'd like for the Gender section to elaborate a bit on non-binary genders (those besides male and female). I exist. ._. Possibly putting more examples of cliche personalities? The "shy, sweet shrinking violet that never wants to fight (almost always a girl)" is reaching pandemic proportions (at least from my perspective).

I tend to use bits and pieces of my personality in the personality section, because I do not understand other people, but that's my own issue.

A bit about appearance: I would recommend not saying "she wasn't beautiful, but she had [features that are normally considered beautiful]". That is so overdone....

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
The "shy, sweet shrinking violet that never wants to fight (almost always a girl)" is reaching pandemic proportions (at least from my perspective).

It is for this reason that I have a male shy, sweet, shrinking violet. I love messing with people's expectations like that. :p

That being said, I wish people would stop being hung up on being "original." >.< They wind up adding all these weird traits that don't make sense together. Your character is not the first shy person ever, and they certainly won't be the last. :/

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
I'm usually horribad at personalities. Do you have any advice on how to make it so they're not short? I usually do them last cause I dread that form field the most. Even more info on personalities would be nice if you can manage it.
I getcha! For that section I created a long list of questions you can ask yourself about your character. For instance, there are general questions about their likes/dislikes, their creativity, sense of humour, confidence, bravery, their values, passions and goals. There are questions about their decision-making process, like if they're a leader or follower, if they prefer to work alone or cooperate with others, if they're detail-oriented or big picture-oriented, or whether or not their decisions are heavily influenced by their emotions. The biggest section relates to how they function in social situations: are they sociable, introverted or extroverted, talkative or quiet, patient, trustworthy, trusting, respectful, rude, manipulative?

Do you find these kinds of questions might be at all helpful to crafting your character's personality? It's the best way I could think to create this section.

Hmm, to be honest, I'd like for the Gender section to elaborate a bit on non-binary genders (those besides male and female). I exist. ._. Possibly putting more examples of cliche personalities? The "shy, sweet shrinking violet that never wants to fight (almost always a girl)" is reaching pandemic proportions (at least from my perspective).

I tend to use bits and pieces of my personality in the personality section, because I do not understand other people, but that's my own issue.

A bit about appearance: I would recommend not saying "she wasn't beautiful, but she had [features that are normally considered beautiful]". That is so overdone....
Good question! Originally, I did talk a bit about non-binary gender and even trans* individuals (way back before I knew as much on the subject as I do now). Unfortunately, I did remove that information some time ago since so few people used characters that weren't strictly cisgendered males or females (even genderless Pokemon characters are fairly uncommon). If there's a demand for it, I'd be happy to include this information, though! I'll try to be as accurate and sensitive as possible, but since you're likely more knowledgeable about the topic, would you be willing to look over what I write to ensure it's correct? :>

I've got a decent section written up about cliché characters, though I'm placing less emphasis on pointing out specific stereotypes...mostly just in favour of recommending everyone read TV Tropes. XD (Describing every popular stereotype would be a bit too time-consuming, though that is definitely a popular one.

That's a good point about appearance! Do you think further emphasizing how talking about how useless it is to say whether or not a character is "attractive" or has "attractive" attributes would be effective, here?

It is for this reason that I have a male shy, sweet, shrinking violet. I love messing with people's expectations like that. :p

That being said, I wish people would stop being hung up on being "original." >.< They wind up adding all these weird traits that don't make sense together. Your character is not the first shy person ever, and they certainly won't be the last. :/
This character sounds awesome. (Have I ever mentioned that this is why I love Meowstic so much?)

You're right that giving characters who are essentially just stereotypes random traits doesn't solve the problem, but trying to get away from stereotypes is a good thing. It goes without saying that a character can be shy without being a stereotype. That's essentially how you make them original: by making them more than just a stereotype, into a three-dimensional character. I think that's the important thing to keep in mind when creating any character.

~Psychic

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
It definitely helps, but I still lock up. I need to basically have this thread open when making personalities more often. I often forget to do that. Would still like more advice included if you can manage it.

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
Good question! Originally, I did talk a bit about non-binary gender and even trans* individuals (way back before I knew as much on the subject as I do now). Unfortunately, I did remove that information some time ago since so few people used characters that weren't strictly cisgendered males or females (even genderless Pokemon characters are fairly uncommon). If there's a demand for it, I'd be happy to include this information, though! I'll try to be as accurate and sensitive as possible, but since you're likely more knowledgeable about the topic, would you be willing to look over what I write to ensure it's correct? :>

That's a good point about appearance! Do you think further emphasizing how talking about how useless it is to say whether or not a character is "attractive" or has "attractive" attributes would be effective, here?
~Psychic

Sure. I'd love to do that.

De-emphasizing the "attractiveness" of a character might have people be more open to characters who are not all skinny and and "pretty". After all, people have different ideas about what's attractive.

@Bron: Yeah, it's also difficult for me to diverge from the character who operates mostly rationally. I have a difficult time trying to see what other people are thinking.

Psychic

Really and truly
Hey guys! Just posting one last time here to ask if there's anything else you'd like to see covered in this thread, as I am nearly done remaking it. :>

~Psychic

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
One other thing I thought of is the comment made in the OP about not giving exact heights and weights in the Appearance section. I agree with this for weight, as it's pretty difficult to imagine how big someone is based on a number of pounds or kilograms, and usually information on the character's build will give a pretty good estimate. I recently had to make a guess on the order of characters in my RPG from lightest to heaviest, and it was pretty easy: the petite kid-sized pre-teens and the bony teenage girl were the lightest, followed by the average-build teenage girl, the average 14-year-old guy, the average 18-year-old guy, and finally the big physical hard hitter and the chubby guy.

By contrast, I find it hard to visualize a character's height without a number. Especially since descriptions such as "taller than average", "very tall", and "a little on the short side" are quite subjective and thus make it hard to compare character heights. Usually when making a signup I will include a combination of both, such as "He's just slightly on the tall side, standing at 5'9"". If I sign up as two characters, usually I'll compare one character's height to the other; for example: "He's about six feet tall, just tall enough to rest his chin on the top of Yamiko's head". If no height information is provided, I automatically assume an "average" character height.

I also really like how Corrosion mentioned inserting aspects of the creator into the character. I do this a lot myself, and I even often wonder what aspects of other people's characters are shared by the creator. Of course, sometimes it's just a very small aspect of the character - there's this one character I recently signed up where literally the only thing she shares with me is the fact that she's an only child with divorced parents. I think it gives me something to latch on to with regards to the character, something that I identify with and thus can get me into the character development process a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.