• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Making Due With What We're Given [Battle Subway RMT]

randomn00b

Arcane Trainer
TrickScarf isn't nearly as effective this generation because the computer realizes that it's been locked into a crappy move. However, does this same logic apply to the Truant ability?

I've been joking for a while that Chandelure+Durant is the most broken combo in the battle subway, as you lock your opponent into Truant, faint, send out Chandelure with Shadow Tag so your opponent can't switch, and then alternate between Protect and a stat-up move until you're +6/+6/+6. According to serebii, DW Durant has been released, and while we're still waiting for Chandelure, I figured I'd give this team a chance.

I doubt that the computer will switch out once given the "Truant" ability. If testing confirms that it does, then this team is garbage.

durant_by_xous54-d3vfrqj.png

Durant@Choice Scarf
Jolly (+Spd, -Sp. Atk)
Trait: Truant
252 Atk, 16 HP, 240 Speed

~Entrainment
~Superpower
~Bug Bite
~Stone Edge

Entrainment+Truant=full knowledge of what your opponent will be doing every other turn. The importance of this information cannot be downplayed. Every Sweeper would gladly give one up one moveslot for protect in order for, well, perfect protection.

252 Atk for the worst case scenario where Durant is the last Pogey left alive and needs to KO something.

Durant needs to reach 173 speed to be the fastest kid on the subway, as Scarf Manectric reaches 258. I'm not exactly sure how EVs work at level 50, but I do believe that this spread will grant me enough speed to outrun everything, and a bit more bulk.

149___dragonite_by_merum_sb_blueolimar-d31hiha.png

Dragonite@Leftovers
Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
Trait: Multiscale
252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Def

~Dragon Dance
~Substitute
~Protect
~Dragon Claw

Standard set is standard, with the exception of replacing Roost for Protect as Leftovers can restore me to full health when need be. I'm choosing to go max HP/max attack since I'm guaranteed to go +6/+6, and Dragon Claw>Outrage since +6 Dragon Claw OHKOs just about everything. Substitute is to block status and OHKO moves.

I am considering going 252 Speed>252 HP just in case the strategy doesn't work as planned (i.e. the opponent Protects first turn). I wanted my last two pogeys to have synergy and be capable of winning even if I can't pull of Entrainment.

Volcarona.png

Volcarona@Focus Sash
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
Trait: Flame Body
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP

~Protect
~Quiver Dance
~Fiery Dance
~Bug Buzz

A failsafe should any ridiculous hax occur. Focus Sash guarantees either Quiver Dance or at least one attack in.

Last edited:

chap196

For Dragonite
Dragonite want Roost instead of Protect to heal itself and make Dragonite use Marvel Scale Ability again.

For Cloyster
Use Rock Blast instead of Protect for more coverage since Cloyster want to kill every opponnet after it use Shell Smash, so coverage is more important than defensive on Cloyster.

hyacinth

^no don't do that you need the protect as i'm sure your aware
Im wondering if there is a better option then cloyster as any stealth rocks or sandstorm will make it not use able more so due to dragonites rock weakness

seems a really inventive strategy hope it works in practice for you

Last edited:

randomn00b

Arcane Trainer
With Scarf, nothing in the Battle Subway (barring Quick Claw Hax) outruns Durant. I'm guaranteed to get Entrainment off.

Pidj

Couple of points:
1. The Subway has an item clause so you can't run the sets you currently have.
2. I wouldn't use the TrickScarf strategy. Whilst I've not used it personally I'm led to believe that if the AI is locked in to an ineffective move they will switch which you probably don't want happening. Not sure what to suggest instead though - perhaps a special boosting attacker? Bulky Quiver Dance Volcarona perhaps from Smogon with a slight twist:-

Volcarona@Sitrus Berry??/Lum Berry??/Focus Sash?? (If only there wasn't an item clause!!)
Bold Nature
EVs: 240HP/216Def/52Spe (I've ripped this straight from Smogon so this can probably be adjusted)
- Protect
- Quiver Dance
- Flame Thrower
- Bug Buzz

Yes it's a sweeper but a special one may be an option in case you're up against any cursers or bulk up users. Substitute would also be nice but you'd want that over an attack and you would would ideally need leftovers. Although hiding behind a sub with 3/4 health could work. Aqua Jet is probably the main priority concern here as well as if the opponent sets up Stealth Rocks.

And if weather was an issue you could throw a move like Sunny Day (or Rain Dance but obs SD works better if you were to go with Volc, unless you used Hurricane!) onto your Durant instead of one of the attacks.

davidchu

Your WORST nightmare
1. Fear the Steel types. FEAR THEM. If Dragonite's STAB doesn't kill them (considering the non-effective stuff), and Durant doesn't score a KO, your team could be in big trouble. You seriously need more attacks.

2. *Multiscale. eheh

randomn00b

Arcane Trainer
Couple of points:
1. The Subway has an item clause so you can't run the sets you currently have.
2. I wouldn't use the TrickScarf strategy. Whilst I've not used it personally I'm led to believe that if the AI is locked in to an ineffective move they will switch which you probably don't want happening. Not sure what to suggest instead though - perhaps a special boosting attacker? Bulky Quiver Dance Volcarona perhaps from Smogon with a slight twist:-

Volcarona@Sitrus Berry??/Lum Berry??/Focus Sash?? (If only there wasn't an item clause!!)
Bold Nature
EVs: 240HP/216Def/52Spe (I've ripped this straight from Smogon so this can probably be adjusted)
- Protect
- Quiver Dance
- Flame Thrower
- Bug Buzz

Yes it's a sweeper but a special one may be an option in case you're up against any cursers or bulk up users. Substitute would also be nice but you'd want that over an attack and you would would ideally need leftovers. Although hiding behind a sub with 3/4 health could work. Aqua Jet is probably the main priority concern here as well as if the opponent sets up Stealth Rocks.

And if weather was an issue you could throw a move like Sunny Day (or Rain Dance but obs SD works better if you were to go with Volc, unless you used Hurricane!) onto your Durant instead of one of the attacks.

I didn't even notice that I had two Scarves. I agree with the switch to Volcarona.

The only things I can think of that survive a +6 Dragon Claw are Magnezone, Skarmory, and Bronzong, all of whom can do nothing to Dragonite when he's behind a sub.

Last edited:

Pidj

Another note to make on this - if you're going to use volcarona as a sort of revenge killer you may want another ev spread and use timid. As I said in my thread 252spe with timid nature out speeds all but scarf manectric after a QD. However if you're going to use it as an alternative set up sweeper following Entrainment then the current set up should be very effective.

randomn00b

Arcane Trainer
Volcarona is more of a back up sweeper should anything happen to the Entrainment Chain. EVS changed.

[GS]

Staring at my phone
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure that you can't give the Truant ability with Entrainment. Final and I were talking about it a while ago and found something on Smogon saying that the coding in the game doesn't allow it.

Again, not 100%, but it's worth looking into.

shadowj0

Casual Veteran
Dragonite's ability is Multiscale, not Marvel Scale. Only Dratini and Dragonair can get the hidden ability Marvel Scale.