• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Making sheet music from music files?

PokemonHero

I can see the future
I have some music from video games that I've downloaded to my computer in MP3 form. Now I want to create some sheet music using the files. This is where I need help. I need a program that can take music, identify multiple instrumental parts within it, and write a score. I know that I will likely need to convert my MP3 files into something like WAV files. That's not a problem as I have a converter. It's the program for creating sheet music that I need, as well as anything else that would help me.

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

Kal-El

Mush! Mush!
Um... an MP3 is a kind of file where it's anchored everything together beyond being able to deconstruct individual instruments.

The only format (that I'm aware of) where you can do what you're asking is MIDI.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Mhmm, that's right. The best you'll get is Band-in-a-Box, which will analyse your mp3 and tell you what the chords are. Otherwise, you'll have to reverse engineer the song for yourself like everyone else does ^_^

BlazikenBud

Only on Wii
Try Finale Notepad, and search google for a MP3 to Midi converter. There are plenty, and Finale notepad is the best music composer I have (Notepad is the only free Finale music composer) This might get you somewhere. Midis normally sound horrible though as they are only instruction which are used by your computer to make sounds out of a set it has on it's memory, (that's why I export my Finale files as WAV or MP3 because then they don't sound horrible.)

BlazikenBud

Only on Wii
Try Finale Notepad, and search google for a MP3 to Midi converter. There are plenty, and Finale notepad is the best music composer I have (Notepad is the only free Finale music composer) This might get you somewhere. Midis normally sound horrible though as they are only instruction which are used by your computer to make sounds out of a set it has on it's memory, (that's why I export my Finale files as WAV or MP3 because then they don't sound horrible.)

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I know this sounds Daft, but which computer game is it from.. You can Try VGMusic.com They often have music from games in Midi format.

To Make it clear that a Midi file is really a Set of Instructions telling a Synthesiser how to play a tune.

Also what is the tune going to be used for?

tytiiiore

Banned
To be on the Safe Side

bump up then lurk To be on the Safe Side ??In a cinema during a performance one of the audience gets up, makes his way along the row of seats and goes out into the foyer. A few minutes later he returns and asks the man sitting at the head of the row:??"Excuse me, was it your foot I stepped on when I was going out a moment ago?"??" Yes, but it doesn't really matter. It didn't hurt at all."??"Oh, no, it isn't that. I only want to make sure that this is my row."Welcome to our website for you World of Warcraft Gold,Wow Gold,Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,buy cheap wow Power Leveling,real wow gold,sell wow gold, ... Supply Cheap WoW Gold to our loyal customers. Buy WoW Gold,cheap aoc gold, now, we have available stock of aoc power leveling,on most of the servers. We can provide really cheap World of warcraft Power Leveling. Enjoy a new life, We are a world class wow Power Leveling store online !

krazyelements241

i think i may have found a great program!
it is a free demo version.

Noteworthy Composer

great program! you must download the music files that you want in midi format!

one more thing the printing is not good it prints it length wise which will waste around 40 pages! so the only way you may print is by buying the program! other wise you either play it on your monitor or you can write in the notes your self!

hope this helps!

Last edited:

BCVM22

but if a software like that does not exist then what did he use? ( my band teacher)

This had to be asked? "Something completely different" is the answer. Why even bother since it's already been explained why the original poster's requested software doesn't exist for several reasons.

Xenaero

The Sun Will Rise~
Considering that MIDIs are the only generally used format that actually carry scores within them, (this is because it tells the soundfont on your computer what notes to play at what pitch, etc, so it essentially is sheet music for the computer) there are several software suites that can interpret MIDIs as sheet music or otherwise assist composers in creating MP3 remixes of these things.

Ah, also, Krazy, be careful. Double posting is against the rules of the site, they could give you infraction points for this sort of thing. Try to merge your posts by using the edit button, and deleting the other, if possible. Just trying to help.

krazyelements241

Considering that MIDIs are the only generally used format that actually carry scores within them, (this is because it tells the soundfont on your computer what notes to play at what pitch, etc, so it essentially is sheet music for the computer) there are several software suites that can interpret MIDIs as sheet music or otherwise assist composers in creating MP3 remixes of these things.

Ah, also, Krazy, be careful. Double posting is against the rules of the site, they could give you infraction points for this sort of thing. Try to merge your posts by using the edit button, and deleting the other, if possible. Just trying to help.

thanks:] i knew it was aggaints the rules is just that i wanted the poeple to read my other comment :] (post) anywho i deleted my message before i got a warning of some sort!

QUICK AND DIRTY MUSIC FILE EXPLANATION:

Unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for professional sound software that can do this, don't bother finding any for free. I looked about half an hour on Google, found one that wasn't virus ridden, and it did horrible. It couldn't render my test recording of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" (from a keyboard project I did in class) correctly.

very funny but it is true although the program i tried is free and no viruses attached to them! it is not as good as the fancy ones they have out there! it cannot preview the pages so that you can see the staves (all of them) and it has trouble printing!

it is an old program so i dont know it that's the case.

Last edited:

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
The professional software that Latios is referring to is of course, a team of highly proficient musicians who will listen to your song and notate all the parts. Realistically, there is no way you can program a computer to recognize the waveforms of more than maybe two completely different instruments. Even humans who aren't trained can't tell the difference between the tone of a trombone and of a trumpet, played at the same pitch.

What you are asking for is a program which can listen to a point in a sound, and isolate every frequency being played. It must then match up the frequencies with the known waveforms of various instruments depending on their overtone combinations (which, mind you, is different for each individual instrument, which is why two guitars never sound exactly the same). Remember that the computer has no idea what instruments are being played, it only knows what sounds are happening at that specific point. Having done that and decided with surety the precise combination of instruments being played, it must then guess the beat of the music by again analysing waveforms, and use this guess to approximate the note lengths of each instrument part. You now seem to expect the program to separate the notes into readable parts, so that each stave is represent by a single or group of instruments. I ask you, how could a computer POSSIBLY know which part a trombone is playing just by listening to the sound? There have only been a few people since the baroque period of music who have been able to listen to a song and notate each individual part (1st violin, 2nd violin, etc) with accuracy, and for comparison's sake, one of them was Mozart.

Put simply, you aren't going to find software to do the job well, if at all.

The best I can recommend, as I said, is Band-in-a-Box 7, which can analyse a music file and tell you the chords and bass note of the piece, if you give it a time signature and help it find the beat of the song.

Last edited:

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit

The bad thing is that Finale Notepad can't do dynamics, as well as compound time signatures (as well as other obscure ones), which is why its free. Its moderately good for planning out a tune though, as well as downloading sheet musics that have been written with the payed version of Finale.