• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Making the Antagonist’s grand plan make sense

srebak

Beginning Trainer
I don’t know if this is the right place for this but I need some advice regarding a fanfiction story of mine

You see the main villain of this fanfiction story wants to control the world in order to “purify it”, “make it better” and other such things, and in his quest to do so, he has spent a great many years building up an incredibly powerful multinational secret organization, complete with a great number of loyal, battle-ready soldiers. However, what i am planning to have as a part of the long-running story arc is that the main villain intends to use various means in order to increase his forces in his plot to takeover. You know, like; recruit or tame incredibly powerful beings and creatures or just use things like magic or science or both to actually create his own versions of the aforementioned. This seemed like a good idea to use as a story arc and a really good way to give my overall story a sense of “something wicked this way comes”, if you know what I mean.

However, what I find to be the real problem here is that; whenever I imagine what the main villain’s evil organization is like, I usually imagine it to be very powerful, very competent, and have a vast army of armored soldiers at its initial disposal. An army that would, at the very least, be able to take over a small third world country, if given the right amount of time, and, the very most, would be able to launch a series of dangerous attacks upon a much larger nation, if given the right amount of precise planning and proper coordination. But if the main villain was already in possession of such an impressive military force of his own (still not so sure about how to how he even got it the first place), then why would he need to recruit and/or tame powerful beings and monsters, much less create them, huh? Why wouldn’t he just use the army that he has in order to begin his campaign?

I mean, I have tried to create an explanation for that; you see, I figured that it would help to say that while the main villain might want to takeover the world, he doesn’t want to start a war, so he intends to bide his time and either A.) create an army that is so big and powerful that the takeover will be as quick and painless as possible, or B.) come up with a plan that will ensure his absolute domination of the world in one fell swoop. Although, to be perfectly frank with you all, I am not entirely certain about just how well that that explanation holds up, any thoughts?

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Even if they have vast armies, Emperors who try to take over the world tend to over extend themselves after taking over a continent. And that doesn't take into account the Resistance; the people living in the lands he takes over won't just submit. A competent evil leader would know this & would try other means of grabbing control. Bring up the history of world-conquers, & you can go with the plan you described. "I don't wanna fail like Napoleon! We need to engineer this monster!"