• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Making the game harder - Ingame challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Ampharos]

They best be trollin
[Super_Fjord];9468834 said:
Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.)

I almost did this.
Back when I was like
Seven years old.

I wanted to redo my red file, but didn't want to restart my game and overwrite.
So.
I choose charizard and started beating the game.
I got to at least six badges. I don't think I had surf.
The battery died when I left my GBC on hoping it'd last all night.

ayeeprill

Shorts Boy- my hero!
One of my personal favorites is the "No Evolving" method. Basically, you keep Pokemon in the first stage of evolution. For instance, if you choose Chimchar as a starter, it stays Chimchar through the whole game. And single evolution pokemon such as Pachirisu and Dialga and Palkia aren't allowed. =)

I also enjoy the "Weak Powerhouses" challenge. I catch a couple of pokes everyone considers "weak". For instance, in Sapphire, I used Skitty; and in Diamond, I used Buneary (and never evolved it) and Pachirisu. All three of these, with some hard work, became amazing. They held their own in the E4 at levels 55-60.

ayeeprill

Shorts Boy- my hero!
One of my personal favorites is the "No Evolving" method. Basically, you keep Pokemon in the first stage of evolution. For instance, if you choose Chimchar as a starter, it stays Chimchar through the whole game. And single evolution pokemon such as Pachirisu and Dialga and Palkia aren't allowed. =)

I also enjoy the "Weak Powerhouses" challenge. I catch a couple of pokes everyone considers "weak". For instance, in Sapphire, I used Skitty; and in Diamond, I used Buneary (and never evolved it) and Pachirisu. All three of these, with some hard work, became amazing. They held their own in the E4 at levels 55-60.

Raichu4u

I'm not josh'n
Only have six pokemon throughout the game.

Or better yet,

Don't play at all.

I have a friend who tried "hardcore mode" once on silver, but it didn't really matter because he never lost a single pokemon (maybe he was just lying though, he wasn't exactly what you'd call "honest").

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
lol there should be a bidoof mode where you can only battle using bidoofs. lol (btw this means hm slaves are still an option, you just cant battle with them)

My God. I think I'd shoot myself before playing that mode, I hate Bidoof with a vengance. It would be a challenge though.

Overheat Hothead

Custom User Title
I have an idea.

A mode where you cannot use moves that directly hurt the foe. You must use moves like Leech Seed, Wil-O-Wisp, and Counter to wear them down. It would use a lot of PP and probably get annoying real fast.

done, every game, very easy

I only really ever have a team of 3 before the main legend, so I pretty much do that too

I want to catch them, do you expect me to lose half of the legendaries for a F***ing challenge?

no, I pretty much do that, not completely but mostly, minus the pokeballs, I can't do that, I want to "catch em all" as the first season wanted me to do

boo, where's the variety, I'm only training two pokemon extra, not 5, besides, there's only so many early pokemon

no, I only catch pokemon once, minus shineys, and I only catch each shiney once, not doing THAT waste of time, how will I survive without my starter?

so, it's not the best ideas you have there, but they seem fun to some

I think you're missing the point of the challenge. It's not for your normal, relaxing, play as you would normally play game.. It's a challenge.
Stop whining about it.

I mostly do the no-evolving one now, but just because I like the way the pre-evolved forms of my pokemon look best xD; I let my eevee evolve into glaceon 'cause it's pretty, and Drifloon evolve so it could fly me around, though.

pokemaster001

I think you're missing the point of the challenge. It's not for your normal, relaxing, play as you would normally play game.. It's a challenge.
Stop whining about it.

I do have challenges, the point I'm making is I'm not going to have such a hard time completing the game instead of completing the game normally, it's not like I'm just going to re-set my game and start all over again or anything. I'm saying that the challenges are too challenging for me, so stop whining about me whining about it
[Super_Fjord];9468834 said:
Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.)
PCs don't save, they show you the storage of your pokemon
where'd you get the idea PCs save for you

Last edited:

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
PCs don't save, they show you the storage of your pokemon
where'd you get the idea PCs save for you

It's an easy mistake to make; they do save when you change box.

ralfchar

ain't it Charific?
PC saved @ the 1st gen games when u changed boxes... so hes not entirely wrong...

When I get Platinum, my challenge to myself will be to use only one type to beat the gyms and Elite 4.

lalala_machine

The birthday challenge: (warning - may require a little thinking)
Use a team based on your birth date. I was born on Feb. 19th, 1990, so my team could be something like this this.

;002;;019;;199;;090;;219;;077;
Ivysaur for the month, Rattata for the day, Slowking for the year, Shellder for the year again (variety is the spice of life), Magcargo for the month and day together, and Ponyta, because 1990 was the Year of the Horse. You could substitute your current age or a sign from the Western zodiac, too. I'm currently 19, so that would give me another Rattata, and I'm a Pisces, so I could use a fish Pokemon.

So, if your birthday was on April 26, 1989, you might end up with a team like
;004;;026;;198;;089;;426;;128;
where the Pokemon follow the previous pattern, and the Tauros means you were born under Taurus.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
What about beating the game with only a Ditto? Or a Shedinja? Smeargle?

I do have challenges, the point I'm making is I'm not going to have such a hard time completing the game instead of completing the game normally, it's not like I'm just going to re-set my game and start all over again or anything. I'm saying that the challenges are too challenging for me, so stop whining about me whining about it

What's the point in posting in this thread if you have nothing constructive to add? Go away.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
What about beating the game with only a Ditto? Or a Shedinja? Smeargle?

What's the point in posting in this thread if you have nothing constructive to add? Go away.

I've put a single pokemon challenge in the first post, which covers all the "use only pokemon x" challenges. They're good fun, although playing through the game with only Shedinja would be crazy! I can't even imagine trying that, major kudos to anyone who can manage it.

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
Singles Elite four run: You may only use ONE pokemon to face the elite four. No potions, revives, or heals are allowed. That can go under legendary or intermediate.

phatcat203

I'm back. Woot.
Hmm...How about "slot mode?" Where every evolutionary stage counts as a slot, and you can only have six slots total? Like, an Infernape or anything similar would be three slots each, so you could have two stage two(second evolution) Pokemon, three "middle" Pokemon, or six unevolved Pokemon. Of course, you could mix-and-match, too, with one three-slot, one two-slot, and one one-slot Pokemon.

Also, a one-stage Pokemon's slot status depends on their overall power; i.e., Dialga/Palkia/Rayquaza/anything else in that category would be three slots, something along the lines of Heracross would be two, and Pachirisu would be one.

Best thing about this, though, is that you can personally customize it without changing the overall premise of the challenge, you can make it harder or easier on yourself as you see fit.

Respirator23

I Like Cereal too.
Hmm...How about "slot mode?" Where every evolutionary stage counts as a slot, and you can only have six slots total? Like, an Infernape or anything similar would be three slots each, so you could have two stage two(second evolution) Pokemon, three "middle" Pokemon, or six unevolved Pokemon. Of course, you could mix-and-match, too, with one three-slot, one two-slot, and one one-slot Pokemon.

Also, a one-stage Pokemon's slot status depends on their overall power; i.e., Dialga/Palkia/Rayquaza/anything else in that category would be three slots, something along the lines of Heracross would be two, and Pachirisu would be one.

Best thing about this, though, is that you can personally customize it without changing the overall premise of the challenge, you can make it harder or easier on yourself as you see fit.

Thats is one the best ideas I've heard. In fact I think I might just try that.

zergling4pres

Melee Monster

I'm gonna do this one along with "hardcore" when I get platinum. 8D

Status
Not open for further replies.