• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mallow & Lana! A Fully Powered Battle of Friendship!! (1073)

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Is it though? Throughout the various series its always been the norm for pokemon to learn new moves offscreen (whenever Ash used any of his Oak'd pokemon for instance they were pretty much guaranteed to have new moves), and this is even more true if the pokemon does not belong to Ash. Episodes where we are shown the pokemon learning or being taught a new move tend to be popular with viewers, but they aren't the norm.

If nothing else, Lana teaching Primarina a move to counter one of its weaknesses at least makes sense from a training perspective. She wouldn't have to have known she'd be facing Mallow, she could just have wanted it to use against Grass types in general.

Ice is a really nice offensive move as it's SE against Grass, Flying, Ground, Dragon so it gives Primarina some coverage.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I need sleep and I'm going to bed, so I'll make this short. (Edit: oops, so much for "short").

Ash vs Faba. Went as expected. I didn't expect Faba to cheat that way, though. Guess some things never change.

Guzma vs Ilima. Bittersweet. Best Mega finally got the attention it deserved, but I wanted to see it win. The writers of this show clearly have it out for me sometimes, I swear. All my favorite Pokemon are either cameos (Whimsicott) or belong to characters I hate (Samurott).

I do like that they went the opposite direction of my prediction by having Scizor target the mother instead. The baby reverts automatically if the mother faints? Interesting.

Hau vs Oak. Quick and high energy. Perfect for Hau. I liked Hala's "that's my grandson!" grin.

Lana vs Mallow. The outcome was obvious, but I liked the character moments.

Icy Wind was a shock. I looked it up and Primarina hasn't used Bubble Beam once since evolving. That means Sparkling Aria replaced Bubble Beam, so Icy Wind is her fourth and final move. I'm not going to get mad a new moves out of nowhere as we've had more than one League that's done this. Also, they've been training since like 10 episodes ago. Of course they're gonna get new moves.

I like Mallow just gave up like that. You could see that she was nervous before the battle started, and Lana was overpowering her constantly, so it's not out a complete shock. People constantly claim that Mallow is "perfect" or "flawless", so to see her falter like that and need encouragement from her friend and little sister is a good character moment. It's a good lesson to teach kids: winning or losing isn't all that matters, it's that you tried your best.

...Also, there's some background character sitting behind Ash and company that looks like Kukui, but with a shirt. That's weird.

Last edited:

axelme

This is what happens when you put 4 battle in 1 episode. none of them were really that good. Mallow not being able to land a hit just..why?. i mean, she has been treated like crap the entire series. better to have her eliminated in the preliminaries than do this to her. and what was the point of shaymin again?

ash v.s faba was terrible

i would have rather kahili had made the round of 16 over samson. the battle itself was meh

primarina pulling out icy wind even though there was no indication that they had been training to use that move is just annoying. pull a move out of the ass seems to be a favorite of writers this series.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
primarina pulling out icy wind even though there was no indication that they had been training to use that move is just annoying. pull a move out of the ass seems to be a favorite of writers this series.
...The fact that she's been training has been brought up several times. Is it really that much of a stretch that during the general training she's been repeatedly established to do, she learned a new move?

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
This is what happens when you put 4 battle in 1 episode. none of them were really that good.

One battle took up 50% of the screentime. The others were shorter to accommodate it.

I think the only one that could have, should have been longer is Hau v. Oak.
The Faba, Guzma battles were decided once the opponent was revealed to have an exploitable weakness. There wasn't a need to draw those battles out. Perhaps more shock and awe from the audience for Mega Kangaskhan or Ilima's defeat.

nuzamaki90

Man was this episode garbage. Let’s just go through the motions with this one because sheesh.

First, Ash VS Faba was awful. Everyone already expected it to go the way it did, but there could’ve been a lot more of a back and forth. Lots of talking and a useless flashback explaining why Faba did what he did when it could’ve just been Meltan popping out it’s ball excited about the crowd or Hypno’s medal. It was played for jokes, what a way to start off the main tournament.

Second, Guzma VS Ilima was okay. Again, a lot more useless commentary by the peanut gallery that otherwise added nothing to the whole ordeal, while at the same time, reused animation to make the battle seem more interesting than it actually is. Also, even though I liked the strategy, why did Momma Kanga fainting affect the baby? Why not show Scizor brutalizing the baby and Hala calling the battle off, giving Guz the win? Why not show the actual menacing, threat that Guzma is? Hell the guy beat a Mega with his Scizor and no one cared. No one cares that the #1 star student lost against the big bad. Guzma came off more as just Paul and Ilima was missed potential.

Third, Hau and Oak’s match felt more like an animation highlight reel than an actual battle. The quality just suddenly jumped for a 20 second OHKO match. Another disappointment.

And finally, my biggest gripe with this episode. Mallow VS Lana. I hate the way the writers have treated Mallow because she is such a great character in the games. Once again, Mallow gets a random character trait and moment out of thin air where even though she’s battled seriously before, and even had fun when she went against Misty, she’s suddenly a nervous wreck that will surrender halfway through a battle.

Excuse me, but what? Last time she was shown training her Z-Move, she was filled with confidence, now she’s a quitter because..? When has Mallow ever displayed such traits? She’s always been the go-getter since the series started. Why do they keep randomly giving her out of character moments? And oh wow, not only did Tsareena not land a single hit, but they didn’t even get to actually show off their Z-Move. It was canceled right away, and Lana subsequently defeated them with Aqua Jet even though Tsareena’s ability vanquishes that..ok.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Second, Guzma VS Ilima was okay. Again, a lot more useless commentary by the peanut gallery that otherwise added nothing to the whole ordeal, while at the same time, reused animation to make the battle seem more interesting than it actually is. Also, even though I liked the strategy, why did Momma Kanga fainting affect the baby? Why not show Scizor brutalizing the baby and Hala calling the battle off, giving Guz the win? Why not show the actual menacing, threat that Guzma is? Hell the guy beat a Mega with his Scizor and no one cared. No one cares that the #1 star student lost against the big bad. Guzma came off more as just Paul and Ilima was missed potential.
Because the mother Kangaskhan is still the main one in the duo. Granted, it gives that energy to the baby but I’d assume beating the mother would render the grown baby useless (and the energy too) I guess.
Third, Hau and Oak’s match felt more like an animation highlight reel than an actual battle. The quality just suddenly jumped for a 20 second OHKO match. Another disappointment.

It was canceled right away, and Lana subsequently defeated them with Aqua Jet even though Tsareena’s ability vanquishes that..ok.
Queenly Majesty isn’t the only ability Tsareena can have (nor was it ever confirmed to be this one’s ability). =p (But I agree with you nonetheless of how Primarina won).

nuzamaki90

Queenly Majesty isn’t the only ability Tsareena can have (nor was it ever confirmed to be this one’s ability). =p (But I agree with you nonetheless of how Primarina won).

Still, this is the only Tsareena that has appeared in Sun and Moon. Why would it’s ability NOT be the one exclusive to its line, instead of...Leaf Guard..

D

Deleted member 384931

Still, this is the only Tsareena that has appeared in Sun and Moon. Why would it’s ability NOT be the one exclusive to its line, instead of...Leaf Guard..
I dont get why using Aqua Jet if Icy Wind already slowed Tsareena down?

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I felt like Mallow shouldn't even enter the league at all

Nobody besides Ash, Hau, Gladion, Guzma, Ilma and maybe Kiawe should've.

Squeezing that many characters in a single tournament and trying to give everyone of them screentime just doesn't work. Lana and Lillie probably get eliminated in seconds in the next battles anyway to make room for the big guys.

Anyway episode was alright but the focus should've been Guzma vs Ilma.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Seriously hope Guzma vs Lana is the top 8 match. Lana's got such a free pass this whole series, being good at everything. It would be great to see Golisopod or Scizor brutalize Eevee or Primarina.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
She gave it all she got but it was obvious from the start that Lana was the more experienced and had the upper hand, thus winning the battle. Even though Mallow lost, I’m happy with the result... I wished she had this realization earlier so that she could be taken more seriously once the Alola League came into fruition. Tsareena has been fully evolved for quite a while.

It served Faba right for doing Ash dirty like that. Talk about trying to disqualify him early into the League, as if he had an actual chance to battle Royal Mask. I enjoyed seeing Guzma’s battle strategy and knocking Illima down. I bet he’s the only one’s using Mega Evolution. Thank Arceus Guzma wasn’t intimidated.

The battles in general were pretty average. I didn’t expect it to be like a Gym Battle but it was tiresome seeing how repetitive Mallow and Lana were with commanding moves. I don’t care that the battles were short, it’s expected since it isn’t like most of the opponents are very important in the future and these are still in the early rounds. I liked the small scenes like Hala watching over his grandson, Olivia getting just as emotional as me (well, she definitely had more emotion) when Tsareena got knocked out, Ulu coming to see his sister battle (Delia, you better come on time to watch your son battle!), Mallow trying to return Tsareena in the middle of the battle and finally striving to get stronger with her, and the referees getting switched. I didn’t expect Olivia to be showing up at all and given some screentime! :D A decent episode but not one of my favorites.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Once again, Mallow gets a random character trait and moment out of thin air where even though she’s battled seriously before, and even had fun when she went against Misty, she’s suddenly a nervous wreck that will surrender halfway through a battle.

Take a step back and recall that these are children who are competing in the Pokemon League, the highest stage of competition...without having to earn badges which help them grow their confidence and skill. They have one Pokemon they've trained with for most of their lives and sparse serious competition. It's like Rocky Balboa going up against a tournament filled with Apollo Creeds.

Her anxiety led to a meltdown because she realized she had no way to win and was staring down a certain loss in front of her friends and family on live television. Magical Leaf is a weak Grass attack and was blocked. Tsareena couldn't land a Trop Kick because she was area denied by Icy Wind. She'd never successfully used Bloom Doom while her opponent had an exclusive Z-Move. All her small individual fears merged and swelled into a crippling admission of weakness and guilt.

Mallow is easily the weakest battler of the group and her background showed that she needed emotional support from others. The cooking episode where she got Grassium Z was showed off her self-confidence...in an art she was already quite skilled in. Battling is outside of her element, so less self-confidence is to be expected. Especially on this stage.

Personally...I know the Americans are going to get bothered about Mallow showing weakness, but she was the ideal character to remind the audience that this is a real high-level competition and the classmates are still largely inexperienced battlers.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Seriously hope Guzma vs Lana is the top 8 match. Lana's got such a free pass this whole series, being good at everything. It would be great to see Golisopod or Scizor brutalize Eevee or Primarina.

She deserves it.... I honestly hope they make her cry

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
That's why she has to face Kiawe and lose. She's consistently beaten him at everything else easily. His reaction to finally winning over her will be amazing.

Free pass? She actually did one of the trials. She didn't even get a second Pokemon until episode 99, and that was the earliest of any of the girls. Sophocles isn't battle-oriented either but he had a second Pokemon by episode 26.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
That's why she has to face Kiawe and lose. She's consistently beaten him at everything else easily. His reaction to finally winning over her will be amazing.

Free pass? She actually did one of the trials. She didn't even get a second Pokemon until episode 99, and that was the earliest of any of the girls. Sophocles isn't battle-oriented either but he had a second Pokemon by episode 26.
I would prefer Guzma creaming Lana but yee Kiawe roasting Primarina would be about just as good lol.

Decidueye23

A) although i wanted mallow to win, i like the fact that they ensured some much needed character growth. Maybe this will push her to be better.
B) pokemon have pulled out moves theyve learnt offscreen for the longest time iirc. Besides they have all been training for the league. A new move or two was bound to happend
C) am i the only one disappointed that ash didnt use steelium z with metlan. I mean he got a steelium-z and a meltan around the same time. How long are we not going to see meltan use a z-move.
D) i like how they made guzma smarter in the anime. That stratergy was brilliant. Makes me wait for his and ashs battle considering both are good stratergists.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Free pass with the entire evolutions. Solely because she's the creator pet. -.-
Good luck defending that