• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mallow & Lana! A Fully Powered Battle of Friendship!! (1073)

Xuxuba

I am sorry but that is pure bs.

The problem isn't that she had a character flaw, the problem is that this flaw came out of nowhere and it was never explored before, even tho we are almost reaching the conclusion of the series.

It is not the same case as Serena who had her defeatist attitude from the very beginning of the series, when she was training with her mother and she would give up quite easily after falling.

"Oh but it's the League, it is a very important event so it makes sense that Mallow was nervous"
That is the thing. It was never important to her before all of this. Her goal is to become a chef for gods sake. She never expressed any interest in battles. Over the course of hundreds of episodes, she might have fought a couple times. Regarless of whether she lost or won, that wouldn't have affected her in absolutely no way.

So yeah, her suddenly turning into a coward just goes to show how badly Mallow was written this ENTIRE series.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Alright 4 battles in one episode. Let's rank them from the best one to the worst.

Ash vs Faba: 2nd worst battle to me. Faba was playing dirty and thought that Ash's meltan is the weakest of the team. How wrong he was when the mythical Pokemon likes to eat anything metallic including his Hypno's pendulum, who is hopeless after it lost it. Yeah for Pikachu taking the backseat despite being Ash's main for 7 generations. Naw for how rushed it was, the competing exchanged some moves then the pendulum losing scene happened, it's all over. Didn't expect Faba to win anyways.

LLima vs Guzma: 2nd best battle to me. Kinda fitting that he had a Kangaskhan that can mega-evolve as he went to Kalos after all. But Guzma reminded him that a good strategic mind overcome raw power. Now, the thing between the two is about the whole Llima vs Team Skull feud shown in a good amount of episodes before, and I do think it's a wasted potential. Llima could use his main which is Eevee and Guzma would torture the Pokemon with an evil laugh as payback for messing with Team Skull, but nope. Guzma just left unimpressed like it was a typical battle to him. Oh and Llima fangirls are definitively not needed. Sure we had Serena occasionally being worried about Ash back in XY, but fangirls making high-pitched cheers/crying are worse imo.

Hau vs Samson Oak: Worst battle imo. Considering how we don't see much of those two, Samson Oak mostly making his face gag. The writers decided to rush their battles. I wonder why Samson Oak didn't use Komala instead because it was a powerhouse when it was shown dealing with Jigglypuff back then. The outcome didn't suprised me much as Hau is young so he has more drive to push himself further so he deserved it.

Mallow vs Lana: The best one imo, especially that it was hinted as the main event of the episode from the title. It is understandable that Mallow was nervous during the battle since she had to face her close friend who is more experienced in battles, unlike the last episode where she was confident about defeating nobodies with Lana, even though it was shown offscreen so Sandy probably took care of everything while Shaymin did nothing. Also, we got to see Mallow commanding Tsareena more than before where that Pokemon mostly took care of threats on its own. And it was nice to see her being able to use her Z-moves even though she lost, at least she gained something in this battle, despite we probably not going to see it again unless a regionwide threat is going to happen and everyone needs to combine their powers.

Anyways, decent episode. Better than the last episode with mostly OHKOs, but still rushed with 4 battles compared to the occasional 3-on-3 from XY, which can't happen as some participants don't even have 3 Pokemons with Lillie having only Snowy.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
C) am I the only one disappointed that Ash didnt use Steelium Z with Metlan. I mean he got a Steelium-Z and a Meltan around the same time. How long are we not going to see Meltan use a Z-Move.
Let me put it this way, if we can't use Z-Moves with Meltan/Melmetal IRL, why should Ash? Besides it was Pikachu picked out the Steelium Z as he can use it.

You guys debate weird things and are not thinking this: will pendulum remain permanently broken or not!
Pendulums have been broken since PePe, and even now in MR4 they're still broken and have good matchups against Salads.

RLC

what he did is a very paul style tactic, he let the child to get in the way of the mother's attacks, forcing her to stop and attacking her when she was open.
paul didn't really have a special style of tactic when it comes to battling (he wouldn't use ash strategies in that case) he was just a analytical/tactical person in general, which again isn't like guzuma at all ( even ash uses his brain at times) so i don't see how this second coming of paul nonesense is occuring when the closet thing they have in common is their nasty attitude which other rivals had in common with paul too (gary, trip)
Sawyer's strategies were at times quite questionable.
which ones?
We haven't seen an enemy trainer with both brains and brawn since Paul. The majority of trainers in Unova and Kalos simply overpowered the competition with overleveled aces.
i agree with you my thirst for someone who uses their brain like paul is there also (the being mean part excluded if possible though i don't mind it) but guzuma is just not it bro, the last closest we got was sawyer and lillie could've been too if they handled her better smh(she's missing the brawn unfortunately), i feel that they haven't done enough to establish guzuma as the strategic type like paul and sawyer and this episode more felt like that they going for the badass evil dude is a big threat more than anything else, besides kalos and unova battles were just as good as sinnoh even though there wasn't as much strategy as sinnoh

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Llima could use his main which is Eevee and Guzma would torture the Pokemon with an evil laugh as payback for messing with Team Skull, but nope. Guzma just left unimpressed like it was a typical battle to him..

In the previous episode Plumeria took measures to injure his eevee even though she was defeated, Ilima couldn't use it in this fight because even though nurse joy healed it, Ilima couldn't risk it.

It's kind of like how Harrison couldn't use his Blaziken back in the jouto league and ended up losing, it may have beaten Charizard but the damage was too much to recover from in time for the next fight.

paul didn't really have a special style of tactic when it comes to battling (he wouldn't use ash strategies in that case) he was just a analytical/tactical person in general, which again isn't like guzuma at all ( even ash uses his brain at times) so i don't see how this second coming of paul nonesense is occuring when the closet thing they have in common is their nasty attitude which other rivals had in common with paul too (gary, trip)

Paul was shown to be vicious at times (like when he fought Roark, Elekid clearly went for one of Cranidos legs which weakened it for the rest of the fight) that is the aspect those of us comparing him to Paul see.

He used the Kangaskhan baby as a shield to attack the mother, I guarantee if Paul had been fighting he would've done the same thing.

Red and Blue

Let me put it this way, if we can't use Z-Moves with Meltan/Melmetal IRL, why should Ash? Besides it was Pikachu picked out the Steelium Z as he can use it.

Pendulums have been broken since PePe, and even now in MR4 they're still broken and have good matchups against Salads.
I think they are saving the Steelium Z for Melmetal instead of Meltan.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Alright 4 battles in one episode. Let's rank them from the best one to the worst.

Ash vs Faba: 2nd worst battle to me. Faba was playing dirty and thought that Ash's meltan is the weakest of the team. How wrong he was when the mythical Pokemon likes to eat anything metallic including his Hypno's pendulum, who is hopeless after it lost it. Yeah for Pikachu taking the backseat despite being Ash's main for 7 generations. Naw for how rushed it was, the competing exchanged some moves then the pendulum losing scene happened, it's all over. Didn't expect Faba to win anyways.

LLima vs Guzma: 2nd best battle to me. Kinda fitting that he had a Kangaskhan that can mega-evolve as he went to Kalos after all. But Guzma reminded him that a good strategic mind overcome raw power. Now, the thing between the two is about the whole Llima vs Team Skull feud shown in a good amount of episodes before, and I do think it's a wasted potential. Llima could use his main which is Eevee and Guzma would torture the Pokemon with an evil laugh as payback for messing with Team Skull, but nope. Guzma just left unimpressed like it was a typical battle to him. Oh and Llima fangirls are definitively not needed. Sure we had Serena occasionally being worried about Ash back in XY, but fangirls making high-pitched cheers/crying are worse imo.

Hau vs Samson Oak: Worst battle imo. Considering how we don't see much of those two, Samson Oak mostly making his face gag. The writers decided to rush their battles. I wonder why Samson Oak didn't use Komala instead because it was a powerhouse when it was shown dealing with Jigglypuff back then. The outcome didn't suprised me much as Hau is young so he has more drive to push himself further so he deserved it.

Mallow vs Lana: The best one imo, especially that it was hinted as the main event of the episode from the title. It is understandable that Mallow was nervous during the battle since she had to face her close friend who is more experienced in battles, unlike the last episode where she was confident about defeating nobodies with Lana, even though it was shown offscreen so Sandy probably took care of everything while Shaymin did nothing. Also, we got to see Mallow commanding Tsareena more than before where that Pokemon mostly took care of threats on its own. And it was nice to see her being able to use her Z-moves even though she lost, at least she gained something in this battle, despite we probably not going to see it again unless a regionwide threat is going to happen and everyone needs to combine their powers.

Anyways, decent episode. Better than the last episode with mostly OHKOs, but still rushed with 4 battles compared to the occasional 3-on-3 from XY, which can't happen as some participants don't even have 3 Pokemons with Lillie having only Snowy.
Eevee was injured by plumeria last episode, that was the point of eevee Vs salazzle

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Eevee was injured by plumeria last episode, that was the point of eevee Vs salazzle
Guzma could still humiliate Llima and its Kangaskhan. Again, a wasted potential for their feud.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
You guys debate weird things and are not thinking this: will pendulum remain permanently broken or not!
After seeing enough anime/cartoon/manga/comic I wouldn't really care about it because the writers could fix it in the next frame anyways.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The whole semifinal match was a headscratcher. Nonsensical matchup choices (Slaking/Hawlucha, Salamence/Noivern, Clawitzer/Pikachu), attack choices (Flamethrower vs Goodra) and movepools (spamming Leaf Storm, Frenzy Plant).

Sawyer's team was much better than Ash's, but he managed the battle badly.
Good thing his Sceptile could spam Frenzy Plant without losing time.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Why do you call Ilima "Llima"? That "L" it's an "I."
I always called him like that prior, my mistake. But I'm not going to suddenly fixing everything up just to please you, sorry.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Uh... I...didn't know this was all about me.
Seeing how people are tense about this episode, I don't have to abide everything for mistakes/disagreements even though my posts about the episode weren't perfect. So, it's not only about you but the whole atmosphere going on here.

Decidueye23

There are many things ash does which we cant do in IRL. Doesnt mean, the anime refrains from doing so. For example, he splashes water on a mudsdale and electrocutes it... saying the water acted like the move soak. I could go on but i am sure you get the point. While pikachu did pick out the z-crystal, its not like meltan cannot use it. More than one of ash's pokemon have used breakneck blitz iirc.

hottom3rd

.. guzma's battle took the cake. I have two predictions for this league...

one, ash actually wins and faces the masked professor, since having the Alola series end with something like that would be truly fitting for their relationship development.

two somehow ash loses and guzma gets his battle against masked royal, which is obvi the professor but this prediction makes less sense...

Because this isn't a typical "real pokemon league" I think he may just have a chance to win it.. I really don't see Gladion beating Ash..

back to the episode. Good riddance to green girl.. that moment of weakness was fitting. Water child getting a win is fine here because she'll porbably get smoked (lol pun intended) against Kiawe