1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Mallow & Lana! A Fully Powered Battle of Friendship!! (1073)

Discussion in 'Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Legends' started by Serebii, Jul 14, 2019.

1. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

We risk saying Mallow is a riveting person!

2. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Well that's what happens when you have to cram in four fights in one episode.

Thankfully once we reach the quarterfinals we should have a bit more breathing room with less combatants

mehmeh1, Ignition and KenzeyEevee like this.
  3. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded CTR's Online is a trainwreck

I'm more upset they didn't let Mallow get a single hit off, the outcome I think everyone just about saw this coming, but it really shows the kind of outliers that slipped their way to top 16.

The character progression she got is obviously good, but I do not like the spots for the clearly stronger competitors all went to the classmates. And Oak, because Oak is just a really bad character. 2 of these kids ain't even going past this round, which really makes me wonder what was the point.

How dare some people have legitimate problems with this arc in general right?

SH65, RLC, Red and Blue and 1 other person like this.
  4. J. D. Guy

J. D. Guy Well-Known Member

Sun and Moon has enough seriousness moments to it (and arguably nauanced seriousness that treds grounds never really treked before or in the same ways).

More Guzma in general would have been nice in general, but it was not needed for Guzma to drag the series down in the particular way you're implying.

That presumes a bit too much. Most of these are just the same incessant and often misaimed nitpicks for the show not being like their own fan-fiction that have been going on ceaselessly for the past three years, and have been endemic in some form since just about forever.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    _AISP and AznKei like this.
  5. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

I understand the sentiment but practically speaking, it seems like a nitpick.

Sinnoh: Barry, Paul, Ash, Tobias
    Unova: Trip, Cameron, Stephan, Virgil, Ash, Bianca
    Kalos: Ash, Trevor, Tierno, Sawyer, Alain
    Alola: Guzma, Ilima, Gladion, Hau, Kiawe, Ash, Faba, Lana

Alola is way more stacked with talent than any other prior league, so we're looking at a much more competitive Top 16 than Sinnoh or Kalos. Top 8 will only have strong trainers, which wasn't the case in Kalos.

Alola still has the same problem as recent leagues - top heavy and ace reliant - but everyone except Guzma can use a Z-Move in the Top 8, and at least 10 of the Top 16 could use Z-Moves.

There is some taint at less qualified trainers making it to the first elimination round, but that's why they will get eliminated. There were bad trainers with 8 badges in prior leagues too who were swept out of the competition. It'll always happen, but Alola surprisingly has less of it than normal.

wolf jani likes this.
  6. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

i see what your're saying but to me it more of a coincidence than anything like a second coming of paul but if he shows more of this in his upcoming battles i'll agree
    agreed, but the thing is it comes as them wanting to show him off as I've said before ''a badass evil dude is a big threat'' especially with him facing the favorite, a one off thing,than him being a strategic person, with the example of ash again he's not the analytical type but he uses strategics that we can see paul using (and he does use them) but we don't see him as paul it's a similar situation i see paul and guzuma in,though as i've said before if the they show him using his head like this in more episodes i'll agree with the paul thing but i don't see that happening
    just cause he's different from other trainers by using a decent tactic this episode doesn't mean he's like paul(you could say this about sawyer but he's not like paul) also him using decent tactics could be a one off thing (which i think it is )
    true but i really think this is just a coincidence and a one off thing , he's just not the same type of person because he used one strategy that paul would happen to use but we'll see if you're right in his upcoming battles
    he chose slacking to demoralize hawlucha fighting spirit and to then use counter to go against his flying press he had that match under his total control, as we know already type match ups doesn't win a battle, so how was that not alright?
    i don't see a problem with this battle/matchup either fairly standard battle with the little strategy to spice up things though i guess he could've use slurpluff here but i don't think it would've made that much of a difference
    i'm with you here idk what sawyer was thinking with clawitzer i guess to match pikachu's speed? i was also wondering the choice of flamthrower too never made sense.
    spamming non-spammable moves have always been a thing in the anime while i do also find this a fault of the anime i don't think it counts in this case since everybody does it
    why is it that sawyer's team looking better than ash's a factor? just because it's better on paper doesn't mean it going to better in battle it's not as black and white as that especially since it's the anime

mehmeh1 likes this.
  7. Irina

Irina ready for Gen 8

From this standpoint, the current Alola League is even worse than Best Wishes Unova League. RIGHT NOW, of course. I really hope they level up their game because all of the first 4 battles were pretty underwhelming.

Ilima losing with a Mega? Really? Atleast make it a little bit more of a threat. Guzma just stomped him tbh.

The Ash battle was an absolute joke. We had so many good battles (even in Alola), this was an asskick for the entire league.

RLC and maartjeverhoef like this.
  8. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

Yeah, I went a little bit tense back in XY being my 1st full series so the show issues were more of a shock at the time. Now they just don't surprise me anymore. We all argue how the writers handled Mallow, compared to like Serena from XY. But to me, it doesn't matter who fared better than the other, they're both not well handled and unfortunately this might be the trend for some companions in the future series as well. Of course we all want the show/series to get better, but we don't have any control about them, outside of the producers/writers, no matter how controversial their decisions could be.

9. Sham

Sham Underrated show

Sorry but this battle was bs. Mallow deserved that win. The fact that the writers are trying to make Lana this unstoppable force outside of Mallow’s league is ridiculous. Lana has been in three battles this entire series (two including Mallow) and she got her Pokémon fully evolved by blowing bubbles....which is not proof that she’s superior. Not to mention she pulled Icy Wind out of her butt. I’m sorry but the fact they are on the same level, Mallow has a type advantage and Lana pulled a move out of nowhere is the epitome of DEM.

Ignition and Dragalge like this.
  10. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Can you really call Lana an unstoppable Force of nature when she could meet her end in the Quarter finals?

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  11. Sham

Sham Underrated show

Actually it makes perfect sense. That’s the thing Mallow is a COOK. So obviously she’s going to get nervous with something outside of her niche. Do you really think an ice skater is going to be 100% confident in sky diving? Especially when she’s facing a challenger who’s (apparently) stronger than her. In a way I think Mallow gave the human response in that situation. She knew she was a fish out of water and over-panicked.

Oh trust me I’m waiting for Kiawe to destroy her. But yes when said character wasn’t even touched, absorbed/counter every single move and left her opponent only to either counter or run... it is portraying her really strong.

Ashfahad123 and AznKei like this.
  12. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

Like 96% of the people who are participating in the league didn't even complete a single trial. This league is its own Hawaiian beast that can't really be compared to the other leagues, which actually require more effort to enter.

Seriously, we even have trainers who surely don't even have 5 Pokemon...and one of them is the main OC.

It's a weird compliment to even put it among the other leagues.

SH65, Xuxuba, mehmeh1 and 2 others like this.
  13. NPT

NPT Just a member

Guzma destroying Ilima was the only good part of this otherwise boring episode.

SH65, Moni_22, RLC and 2 others like this.
  14. _AISP

_AISP Insect/Pokemon lover

The only problem with Guzma was his absence.

mehmeh1 and wolf jani like this.
  15. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

You know, while the anime is constantly accused of disregarding the established logic of the games entirely... rightfully so a lot of the time, I decided just for the heck of it to see just how "forced" this episode's titular match was. And, assuming that both fighters are at equal levels and that neither side has min-maxed their Pokémon to any real extent... it actually checks out pretty well. I mean, obviously dodging and blocking moves isn't really a thing in the games because those are turn-based strategy RPGs where the only interaction you get is telling your Pokémon what attacks to use, but in terms of just how much damage either side was doing, it's pretty solid; Suiren was absolutely right to keep a distance between Ashirene and Amajo at all times, as a mere two Trop Kicks would have ended the match, and while none of Ashirene's moves have anywhere near the potential for damage that Amajo's do in this matchup, they are still strong enough to whittle her down.

...There are far more nonsensical battles in the show than this, basically. And honestly, from a writing perspective this outcome makes the most sense to me; Suiren has been fairly consistently shown to be a lot more interested in battling than Mao is, so it figures that she would be better at it. The whole battle was a case of Mao having the type advantage, but Suiren getting around that with skill.

...And tbh, I'd say three of the four battles in this episode were good. And Satoshi VS Sauboh was just a joke, so I can't say the lack of any real interesting strategies or choreography bothered me. Hau VS Alolan Oak may have been brief, but at least it looked nice. And Guzma VS Ilima... 's kind of a significantly more ominous take on the Suiren VS Mao thing; Ilima had the stronger Pokémon, and was clearly dominating at the start of the battle, but Guzma was able to turn the tides by being clever. Though it would have been nice if Hassam's X-Scissor didn't look quite so underwhelming...

mehmeh1 and wolf jani like this.
  16. Sham

Sham Underrated show

Okay I’ll play, assuming that keeping distance was the most “skillful” thing Lana could do, how was Primarina able to dodge EVERY single attack made by Mallow? You mean to tell me a Pokémon with much emphasis on how strong her legs are can’t compete with a Pokémon with a tail? It’s just suspending reality at this point. Not to mention the writers tried to paint Lana has strong by having her be able to stop every single one of Mallow’s moves with counter moves, including her Z move. It just didn’t make any sense how the bubble was able to COMPLETELY absorbed that Bloom Doom with no damage. That’s the beef that people have with this battle. It’s just too much going on that made the battle in Lana’s favor. If two people are interested in sports but literally do the same amount of work in said sport despite one of them having more of a interest in it... does that mean the person is better in the said sport? It’s the same logic. Effort is what make things happen not simply being interested in it. Lana is so interested in battling that instead of asking Ida to battle her, they sung and below bubbles all day.

17. Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt Well-Known Member

This is Pokémon, not Attack on Titan.
    Well, while that's arguably true, I like scenes with smoothy animation so I only wanted it to last longer.
    That's the thing though. I know in the beginning of the series she WAS the emotional support. I know she was Lillie’s best friend who came to visit a lot and hang out with her. I know she’s the one who introduced Ash to the Pokémon School. That's exactly why this scene is meant to be emotional. Mallow has always been the "Helping Hand" of the group. She has always been a "everyone's older sister". She has always been determined to help others, like how she and Bounsweet were determined to help Lillie overcame her fear of touching Pokémon or how she was determined to help Lana master Hydro Vortex. She has helped everyone and now she's the one needing help. She was nervous because she was fighting Lana, her best friend, in the Pokémon League, a big tournament being broadcasted for all people in Alola. It's not the same thing as the match VS Misty bc while Misty was her friend too, her BFF Lana was fighting alongside her. No one is on her side here. It's just she and Amajo against Lana and her powerful Ashiréne. Mallow being a go-getter doesn't mean she can't have anxiety. Actually, let me remind you that Mallow's go-getter personality was partially a cover to hide the grudge she hold for herself's mean words towards her late mother. You can say SM has lots of lazy writing stuff but this definitely isn't one of them.

18. _AISP

_AISP Insect/Pokemon lover

I don't think Primarina dodged a single move from Tsareena. Either Tsareena collapsed before it could fully execute an attack or Primarina blocked it with one of its moves.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  19. Sham

Sham Underrated show

Rewatch it. Primarina did a quick dodge against Tsareena during “Your Adventure” playing.

20. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Who in their right mind sacrifices a Slaking that could tank that many Fighting-type moves? I'll tell you: Cameron, who also needlessly sacrificed a Pokemon during his league match.

The entire scene was just outrageously stupid and defies common sense. Slaking absorbs like fifteen super effective hits, then uses a resisted move to KO Hawlucha. It is then immediately KO'd by Talonflame with a neutral hit. And during this scene Sawyer is portrayed as some insightful genius.

Kalos' trainers were so stupid Ash was embarrassed enough to get a formal education in the very next region.

Lightning Bolt likes this.