• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mallow & Lana! A Fully Powered Battle of Friendship!! (1073)

DatsRight

AshVsAlain was more controversial though, even if I cheered at Ash's loss. Their 2 aces were battered so it was a matter of which one fell 1st, in which can be very scripted imo. I wasn't surprised about Mallow's loss though, even with Tsareena type advantage and Primarina's Icy Wind out of nowhere, as she wasn't shown to be really a battler throughout the series so far, unlike Lana.

My main qualm is that Lana is only relatively better, she's done ZERO competitive battling and besides the Akala arc has only really faced jobber bad guys like Mallow has. She's done more TRAINING but that's a different thing. She's like the sports competitor that has all the peripherals, studied all the approaches and makes sure she's fit and ready as possible, but within all that preparation forgets to actually try doing the sport itself. I'm kinda hoping that will come into play when Lana faces a tougher opponent.

p96822

Evolve me please
My main qualm is that Lana is only relatively better, she's done ZERO competitive battling and besides the Akala arc has only really faced jobber bad guys like Mallow has. She's done more TRAINING but that's a different thing. She's like the sports competitor that has all the peripherals, studied all the approaches and makes sure she's fit and ready as possible, but within all that preparation forgets to actually try doing the sport itself. I'm kinda hoping that will come into play when Lana faces a tougher opponent.

At least Lana trained with Popplio and then Popplio got stronger because of it. Lana kind of likes Pokemon battle more then the other girls so it not really that much of a problem

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
(was going to post this a while ago, but I forgot)
FINALLY! The Scizor species' losing/jobbing streak has been broken! now if tyranitar could get out of that rut

Leonhart

Imagineer
p96822 said:
At least Lana trained with Popplio and then Popplio got stronger because of it. Lana kind of likes Pokemon battle more then the other girls so it not really that much of a problem

I always said that Suiren winning would likely come down to her simply having more battling experience than Mao, although part of me wouldn't have minded if Mao had pulled off a win instead based on Amajo's type advantage over Ashirene, and also with a bit of sheer luck.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
Sigh, Fabu still at it with his dirty tricks.

The battles. Satoshi vs Fabu was just disgustingly bad. What a huge disappointment. His Hypno went down in one attack and a half (since Headbutt's damage was halved), and Meltan got that victory rather too easily. Having its pendulum eaten in half by Meltan was fine (with or without Satoshi's command), but everything before and after that brief instance was terrible. There was literally nothing stopping them from measly having a simple combination follow up of headbutt and flash cannon afterso. There have been times recently through XY, BW, and even S&M when this has happened, so it would have made Meltan's victory feel more earned. With it out the way early, though, hopefully this means we'll see cooler battles with his other interesting Pokemon. (Non-battle related) I also like the attention to detail of the announcer confirming Satoshi in introducing a new species of Pokemon. This perspective from the MC this time around is great, as before it's been done by other people, in and outside leagues. SG (Satoshi-Gekkouga) is different because that's a form change... vs. actually owning a unidentified species of Pokemon. Now, it just needs to evolve, especially if they aren't going to bother maxing out Satoshi's team or giving him Incineroar (which I never found to be realistic and never believed in).

Guzma vs Llima. Prediction on Guzma winning and the battle being good (entertaining enough) was spot on. Power up Punch gets stronger each use, NOW? This is what I was waiting for back in XY with the Lucario and Pikachu matches. Next thing you know, Dragon Tail will actually cause switch outs <_<. Mega Evolution itself isn't a surprise. Expected it and Z moves much earlier in the series to be present at the league, only to be supported further after seeing some MEs mid-way through the series. Only thing that can't be certain is actual legendary and-maybe mythical Pokemon. As for the battle, Scizor illogically looked way too competent and durable. No sweat marks, no sloppy movements, no reduction in speed, etc. That's nonsense, even if it is well trained. It took a PowerupPunch, then another PuP but this time from a Mega Kangkastan and its child and that's stacked with the power buff from the first used PuP, then finally a lowkick from them BOTH and again with all the stacks to go with it. Even in the end, it looked perfectly fine. Well, they more than adequately got the point across that Guzma is a threat. I'm a bit concerned for Satoshi. (Also keeping an eye on Kaki.)

Mao vs Suiren. Prediction on the winner was spot on. Suiren having control was expected and made sense, also. Ashirene having the advantage mostly made sense, but Icy Wind was was unexpected. That's possibly why Amajo couldn't actually excel/close the gap at close range, but the execution in Icy Wind preventing that is bad. Would have been justified if it was used to freeze the ground instead so that Amajo couldn't excel at grounded close combat. How dare Amajo disrespect and neglect the return! Pokemon must do what their trainers tell them to! This is different from when Ash was about to recall Buizel during the battle with Paul, because Buizel wasn't neglecting the return command, unlike Amajo. Alright, much more seriously, the one thing I'd have changed and liked to see was one mere thing: right after the second stomp, where Ashirene dodged by rolling around her, that was a perfect moment for the insync duo to launch specifically a turning or backwards trop kick right onto Ashirene... then the "Amajo's at her limit. She won't be able to withstand another attack" scene and everything following it should have played out. I find it insane how that exact thing didn't happen, considering it's been done by Ash countless times and some other trainers. (Serena and Dawn stole tactics from Satoshi like this in the heat of battles, so there's no excuses.) Mao landed not a single attack throughout the whole battle, and that instance I described would have been a perfect, logical instance in where she landed an attack. That said, the prior z move segment with Mao and Amajo was beautiful. (Can't say much about the characters, because I've been too absent throughout the series to remember everybody's characteristics super well, so Mao giving up midway? I don't know if that was logical for her character or not.)

Hau vs school principle (guy). Not much to say here. All i'm doing here is noting Hau's Raichu's unique speed. Also, another rival's Raichu with Focus Blast, eh? Tierno's also had Focus Blast.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Sigh, Fabu still at it with his dirty tricks.

The battles. Satoshi vs Fabu was just disgustingly bad. What a huge disappointment. His Hypno went down in one attack and a half (since Headbutt's damage was halved), and Meltan got that victory rather too easily. Having its pendulum eaten in half by Meltan was fine (with or without Satoshi's command), but everything before and after that brief instance was terrible. There was literally nothing stopping them from measly having a simple combination follow up of headbutt and flash cannon afterso. There have been times recently through XY, BW, and even S&M when this has happened, so it would have made Meltan's victory feel more earned. With it out the way early, though, hopefully this means we'll see cooler battles with his other interesting Pokemon. (Non-battle related) I also like the attention to detail of the announcer confirming Satoshi in introducing a new species of Pokemon. This perspective from the MC this time around is great, as before it's been done by other people, in and outside leagues. SG (Satoshi-Gekkouga) is different because that's a form change... vs. actually owning a unidentified species of Pokemon. Now, it just needs to evolve, especially if they aren't going to bother maxing out Satoshi's team or giving him Incineroar (which I never found to be realistic and never believed in).

Guzma vs Llima. Prediction on Guzma winning and the battle being good (entertaining enough) was spot on. Power up Punch gets stronger each use, NOW? This is what I was waiting for back in XY with the Lucario and Pikachu matches. Next thing you know, Dragon Tail will actually cause switch outs <_<. Mega Evolution itself isn't a surprise. Expected it and Z moves much earlier in the series to be present at the league, only to be supported further after seeing some MEs mid-way through the series. Only thing that can't be certain is actual legendary and-maybe mythical Pokemon. As for the battle, Scizor illogically looked way too competent and durable. No sweat marks, no sloppy movements, no reduction in speed, etc. That's nonsense, even if it is well trained. It took a PowerupPunch, then another PuP but this time from a Mega Kangkastan and its child and that's stacked with the power buff from the first used PuP, then finally a lowkick from them BOTH and again with all the stacks to go with it. Even in the end, it looked perfectly fine. Well, they more than adequately got the point across that Guzma is a threat. I'm a bit concerned for Satoshi. (Also keeping an eye on Kaki.)

Mao vs Suiren. Prediction on the winner was spot on. Suiren having control was expected and made sense, also. Ashirene having the advantage mostly made sense, but Icy Wind was was unexpected. That's possibly why Amajo couldn't actually excel/close the gap at close range, but the execution in Icy Wind preventing that is bad. Would have been justified if it was used to freeze the ground instead so that Amajo couldn't excel at grounded close combat. How dare Amajo disrespect and neglect the return! Pokemon must do what their trainers tell them to! This is different from when Ash was about to recall Buizel during the battle with Paul, because Buizel wasn't neglecting the return command, unlike Amajo. Alright, much more seriously, the one thing I'd have changed and liked to see was one mere thing: right after the second stomp, where Ashirene dodged by rolling around her, that was a perfect moment for the insync duo to launch specifically a turning or backwards trop kick right onto Ashirene... then the "Amajo's at her limit. She won't be able to withstand another attack" scene and everything following it should have played out. I find it insane how that exact thing didn't happen, considering it's been done by Ash countless times and some other trainers. (Serena and Dawn stole tactics from Satoshi like this in the heat of battles, so there's no excuses.) Mao landed not a single attack throughout the whole battle, and that instance I described would have been a perfect, logical instance in where she landed an attack. That said, the prior z move segment with Mao and Amajo was beautiful. (Can't say much about the characters, because I've been too absent throughout the series to remember everybody's characteristics super well, so Mao giving up midway? I don't know if that was logical for her character or not.)

Hau vs school principle (guy). Not much to say here. All i'm doing here is noting Hau's Raichu's unique speed. Also, another rival's Raichu with Focus Blast, eh? Tierno's also had Focus Blast.
Silvally is officially classified as a legendary, while Meltan is a mythical, so we already have both

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
Silvally is officially classified as a legendary, while Meltan is a mythical, so we already have both

I was speaking in past tense. I meant there was no way to anticipate that this league would contain a legendary Pokemon (as it isn't always done every league) and may'be a mystical. Mythical was obvious, however, once Satoshi caught Meltan later in the series, but Silvally I didn't even know was a legendary. I thought it was an Ultra Beast or just a generally powerful Pokemon. S&M is such a unique case, for having Gladion with one early on in the series and it being an artificial Pokemon. Typically legendary Pokemon aren't man-made.

DatsRight

I was speaking in past tense. I meant there was no way to anticipate that this league would contain a legendary Pokemon (as it isn't always done every league) and may'be a mystical. Mythical was obvious, however, once Satoshi caught Meltan later in the series, but Silvally I didn't even know was a legendary. I thought it was an Ultra Beast or just a generally powerful Pokemon. S&M is such a unique case, for having Gladion with one early on in the series and it being an artificial Pokemon. Typically legendary Pokemon aren't man-made.

Mewtwo was one of the first after all.

This league has been rather all encompassing in representation. Counting Mallow's Shaymin as an unofficial capture we've even had a wild Pokemon taking part in a league for the first time. The most chaotic example we had before this was Tobias and his random team of legendaries in DP.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Faba is a pathetic loser to try to cheat. Despite my hating him, I thought the writers at least were attempting to portray him as a changed man. Guess not

The first appearance of a Mega Kangaskhan in the main series made it clear that there is a disadvantage to having two separate creatures fighting in the anime battle rules.

not sure why Tsareena just knelt down and took it like a ***** at the end

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Now why would the dub play that generic elevator music in replacement of “Your Adventure” they could of at least used an instrumental of “The Challenge of Life”

Leonhart

Imagineer
thedarkdragon11 said:
Ilima's Kalos League conquest was mentioned, but any of Ash's accomplishments outside Alola was never mentioned...

I had assumed that Ilima's feat was mentioned because it was new information that was supposed to hype up his character and make him seem stronger, whereas Satoshi didn't need the extra hype.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I dont get why using Aqua Jet if Icy Wind already slowed Tsareena down?

because the writers of this show are obsessed with having not very effective attacks end battles

Like 96% of the people who are participating in the league didn't even complete a single trial. This league is its own Hawaiian beast that can't really be compared to the other leagues, which actually require more effort to enter.

Seriously, we even have trainers who surely don't even have 5 Pokemon...and one of them is the main OC.

It's a weird compliment to even put it among the other leagues.

Who is the main OC? As far as I know every character in this league is from the games.

Once upon a time, in previous league conferences, that was a definitive 3 vs 3 (and a full battle at the Ever Grande Conference).

and even at the Johto League! In fact the Ash vs. Gary full 6on6 took place in the round of 16!

Rather surprised that Eevee's injury wasn't the big chekhov's gun of the battle though, it felt like Plumera was intending on that.

It kind of was, since it meant Ilima couldn't use it.

I used to defend Ash's loss to Alain

You lost me at this part of the sentence

besides the Akala arc has only really faced jobber bad guys like Mallow has.

what about the Kyogre episode?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It's Ash, you dum dum.
okay......... I thought you meant main OC with regards to the fact that every previous league has had an OC, sometimes multiple OCs: Ritchie, Drake, Harrison, Morrison, Tyson, Paul, Nando, Tobias, Cameron, Trip, Stephan, Virgil, Sawyer, Alain. These are all past leagues' OCs. This league has literally NO OCS! So for you to expect me to understand that you were calling Ash an OC for some reason, even if he's technically an OC who the hell has ever called him an OC, makes no sense, especially to follow it up by calling me a dum dum.

In fact, in the context of this specific league, the only time I've ever heard people use the word OC was when they were talking about the fact that the reason Ash won is because he always loses to OCs and there were no OCs this time.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
okay......... I thought you meant main OC with regards to the fact that every previous league has had an OC, sometimes multiple OCs: Ritchie, Drake, Harrison, Morrison, Tyson, Paul, Nando, Tobias, Cameron, Trip, Stephan, Virgil, Sawyer, Alain. These are all past leagues' OCs. This league has literally NO OCS! So for you to expect me to understand that you were calling Ash an OC for some reason, even if he's technically an OC who the hell has ever called him an OC, makes no sense, especially to follow it up by calling me a dum dum.

In fact, in the context of this specific league, the only time I've ever heard people use the word OC was when they were talking about the fact that the reason Ash won is because he always loses to OCs and there were no OCs this time.
Ash, TRio, and every filler Alolan character are all OCs, though Ash is of course the main OC.

DatsRight

what about the Kyogre episode?

The poachers basically stood there and never challenged Lana's team or even landed a single hit, so definitely qualify as jobber bad guys. Kyogre itself was more challenging but less a battle and more an Ultra Guardian-esque problem to solve.

t kind of was, since it meant Ilima couldn't use it.

Fair enough. Weird a freaking Mega Kangaskhan plays plan B to an Eevee though.