• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mallow & Lana: Bittersweet Memories! (1002)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Mallow & Lana: Bittersweet Memories!

Lana's sisters return from the forest, with a tale that they were saved by a large mysterious Pokémon. This brings memories back to Lana and Mallow of a time they were stuck in the forest and the Pokémon helped them. Thinking it was the same Pokémon, they go to the forest to thank it. Will they be able to find it?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
The Giovanni part was just a Boss Fantasy

Mao and Suiren wise, this episode is simply magical. I love the color palette they use for this, lovely~

Last edited:

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
As expecrted the Giovanni part was underwhelming. The episode was full of adorable moments though which even Team Rocket's interference couldn't ruin it.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Slightly disappointed that it was a filler and that neither Mallow nor Lana got anything out of it.

Still a cute episode, though. My only issue is that I felt TR were defeated a little too easily. Their scenes felt like a waste of time (although Drampa's reaction to their motto was pretty funny).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Not too bad of a filler but liked how Mallow and Lana found the Haban Berries bitter and found it funny how Drampa can fly even though it could learn Fly in the games and how Rotom Dex looked up Abomasnow when Ash and friends asked for a green Pokémon. I liked how Drampa used Twister on TR, even if Bewear 'rescued' them, and it looked likd they were blasting off. Also liked how Mallow and Lana found the same Ribombee they put the flower crown on but I didn't think it appeared long enough and them eating pollen puffs too. Jessie eating a bad pollen puff was really funny.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
It was a decently enjoyable filler TBH. What I liked is that many kinds of Pokemon appeared in this episode, not to mention a Fletchling appeared in this episode, a Gen 6 Pokemon, which we rarely get to see now-a-days. What was the airy move that Drampa used to fend off TR though? Anyway a decent filler, 6/10.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What was the airy move that Drampa used to fend off TR though?

That was Twister, which is a tornado-like Dragon type attack. Funny that even Bewear was caught in it too.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
A so - so episode, which I give 4.5/10. There were some parts which were cute, but overall it felt like a typical PoTD episode featuring Drampa.

TRio as usual were extremely pointless, with Giovanni being reduced to a boss fantasy. And Ash had no reason to be in this adventure either. It was only because of his hyperactive self this season that he forcefully invited himself for the adventure.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
This was a cute filler. I loved the faces in here and man were TR dressed up like little children creepy! I loved the Forest Grandpa/Drampa's reaction to it all. The animation in Drampa was chilling! :eek: My reaction were the same as the classmates upon first glance. It was a bit surprising seeing Lana's mother and Mallow's father together. It was a good idea taking Ash along their stroll through memory lane. Anyone else enjoyed the background while they were talking? (Pikachu getting stuck in Popplio's balloon, Pikachu sneezing, Pikachu interacting with Caterpie, and other Pikachu related things. I think Pikachu was really the only one animated fully throughout the whole journey. Steenee and Popplio didn't move much.)

And Ash had no reason to be in this adventure either. It was only because of his hyperactive self this season that he forcefully invited himself for the adventure.
I disagree on this. It was a good idea to let Ash in on their adventure. Instead of shunning him from coming on their nostalgic adventure just because he wasn't there, Mallow and Lana wanted him to join and Ash was clearly entertained and amazed by their story. Also, remember, the other classmates would've came too had they not been preoccupied with other duties. I'm glad Ash came along, the 3 of them all bonded together and Ash was there to protect them, and Drampa, from Team Rocket. They already knew Ash loved seeing Pokémon he hasn't seen before and Rotom could help them remember what kind of Pokémon they encountered in the past. The only ones that had no business in seeing Drampa were the TRio. At least the classmates are all kids.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This was a cute episode. I liked seeing glimpses of Mallow and Lana's younger years. It's kind of interesting that Lana used to be very shy and actually had a hard time addressing Mallow as "Mao-chan." Young Lana seems to be quite different from the present-day Lana who has no problem making up stories and wild claims about legendary Pokémon. Mallow, on the other hand, seems to have always been outgoing. Also, it seems her propensity to drag people along with her on adventures is a trait she has always had. :p

I liked how Drampa was portrayed—specifically, how it was animated and the voice it was given. It all fit nicely with its appearance. And it looked so soft!

Team Rocket's involvement in this episode was pointless and cliché: they hear about a Pokémon and attempt to capture it in a net. However, I did like the twist of Drampa freeing itself from the net and then blasting off Team Rocket on its own, rather than Ash or someone else having to save it. Also, what the heck was with Team Rocket's weird getup? Why was Meowth sucking on a pacifier and wearing a bonnet?

TRio as usual were extremely pointless, with Giovanni being reduced to a boss fantasy. And Ash had no reason to be in this adventure either. It was only because of his hyperactive self this season that he forcefully invited himself for the adventure.
You act like the Ash of previous series wouldn't have also invited himself on this adventure. He would have. It was a chance to meet a new Pokémon, an opportunity Ash has always leaped at. It had nothing to do with his being hyperactive. It had to do with him being Ash. Also, the other classmates would have joined, too, had they not been busy.

Even Ash's excitement throughout the whole search for Drampa was not out of character for him, IMO. Personally, I loved his expression at the end—the blushing cheeks and sparkling eyes right before he lunged forward to hug Drampa. If he seems more hyperactive than in previous series, it's probably because all of the human characters are more animated in SM than they are in previous series.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
A few funny scenes in this one:
-Lana and Mallow when they turn half Ribombee.
-Pikachu sneezing and other shinanigans in the background with Popplio and Steenee.
-TRio with their children getup, mainly Meowth with his bonnet, soother, and milk bottle net gun. I did like Jessie's reference to her old pokemon.

I like how Drampa was presented as well, I didn't like him much until this episode so that's always a plus. His flying is simple and he still manages to look threatening with his old man look.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Slightly disappointed that it was a filler and that neither Mallow nor Lana got anything out of it.
Not necessarily. This episode may not have given them further character development in the present, but we did get a little more backstory for Mallow and Lana since it seems like this showed us how they first met and became friends (though I'm waiting until the subs come out to make sure that's true).

Also, I definitely liked the flashbacks with young Mallow and Lana. They all felt like a mix between My Neighbor Totoro and those seen sweet yet corny kids' specials from the 70s-80s like Puff the Magic Dragon or HR Pufinstuf

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Not necessarily. This episode may not have given them further character development in the present, but we did get a little more backstory for Mallow and Lana since it seems like this showed us how they first met and became friends (though I'm waiting until the subs come out to make sure that's true).
From what I understood, that was the story of how Mallow and Lana first met. I believe Mallow said that was when she and Lana first met, and during the flashback at the Aina Cafeteria, Mallow introduced herself as though she and Lana had never met. (She called herself "Aina Cafeteria's Mallow.")

I agree that although this episode may not have given Lana or Mallow further character development (or, rather, character progression) in the present, it did flesh out their backstories, and that's also a form of character development. I like learning more about these characters and their histories together—how they met, how they become friends, how they ended up where they are. It's nice to know that some of them, such as Mallow and Lana, were friends before they were classmates. In previous series, the main cast became friends because they decided to travel together. This is the first time we've had a main cast that has a history together prior to them meeting Ash, and I like seeing those relationships and their histories fleshed out.

Also, I definitely liked the flashbacks with young Mallow and Lana. They all felt like a mix between My Neighbor Totoro and those seen sweet yet corny kids' specials from the 70s-80s like Puff the Magic Dragon or HR Pufinstuf
Now that you mention it, those flashbacks did have My Neighbor Totoro vibes, which could be why I found them so charming and cute.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
This episode was a bit entertaining.

Rowlet in the beginning of this episode was hilarious (hugging the Pokemon food while sleeping and then watching Charjabug pushing Rowlet in the background while sleeping). Young Mallow was so cute and full of energy! Even Lana seeming so shy and timid, was cute as well. I really enjoyed watching the scenes of both these characters in their younger days throughout the episode, it was adorable.

And maybe Drampa really is a luck dragon like Falcor! I mean, Drampa did save Lana and Mallow when they were falling to their doom.

The TRio were annoying as usual. The only funny part was Drampa's reaction to them (definitely relatable).

And Ash had no reason to be in this adventure either. It was only because of his hyperactive self this season that he forcefully invited himself for the adventure.
I have to agree with satopi and Satomine Night, concerning their replies to this statement. One of Ash's goals has, is, and will always be to meet new Pokemon. So, "his hyperactive self" had nothing to do with what you're implying. IMHO, it would be uncharacteristic of Ash in any series to not jump at the chance to meet a new Pokemon that he hasn't seen before.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I really enjoyed this episode, a lot more than I thought I was going to.

The whole Giovanni fantasy was just weird and out of place. It made no sense to me. I will never understand how Meowth comes with these ‘Boss’ related fantasies, if I’m being honest.

I loved Mallow and Lana’s trip down memory lane of how they came to be really good friends and met Drampa in the first place. I hope we get to see more episodes dedicated to the classmates and how they all met before Ash came because they all were classmates before Ash joined the group.

Team Rocket’s bit of disguising themselves as kids was by far, the most, cringeworthy thing I have seen in this show. Drampa’s face looked exactly like mine did, not gonna lie. That was beyond bizarre and I honestly do not want to know what goes in their heads. Some of their scenes can be funny but this one just honestly made me cringe so hard and I really could not wait for it to be over. What were they thinking?

So, I give this episode a 7.5 out of 10. It was a filler episode but it was a lot better than last week’s. Plus, I loved the flashbacks from Mallow and Lana’s childhood.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Very fun episode, though I didn't like how the heroes temporarily went to killjoy mode when drampa was captured, I mean, before that, they were for once finally bouncing off TR's antics and seriously, kid team rocket and baby meowth were legitimately hilarious). Also, the storyboarding and animation was pretty good, and the VAs did an amazing job with kid (well, younger kid, since they are still kids) mallow and lana

Evanibble

Solid filler. I personally love Drampa so it was nice to see it in the anime, and not nearly as enormous as I had expected it to be.

Also I usually don't mind TR, but that intro they did was pretty weird.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
love the episode
so that how lana got her "uso desu" from
love the bond and the pisdeo is super duper cute 8/10 i hope boss fantasy didnt comeback reguraly, i dont want they repeat johto, AG and DP where boss fantasy is everywhere

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
It was only because of his hyperactive self this season that he forcefully invited himself for the adventure.

It's not like it's unprecedented. Ash has always been the Black Hole of this series. Just look at M09 and Serena's crossdressing episode for him shoving himself into the plot. Really, I agree with the sentiment that Ash would have been better had he not appeared at all or at least was executed properly.

ShadowForce720

It's not like it's unprecedented. Ash has always been the Black Hole of this series. Just look at M09 and Serena's crossdressing episode for him shoving himself into the plot. Really, I agree with the sentiment that Ash would have been better had he not appeared at all or at least was executed properly.

The thing is if Ash didn't appear at all in this episode then some people would be trying to argue that this is a special and not a actual episode of the anime because of Ash not being in it, and before you try to say that there wouldn't be people that would argue that remember there was a whole debate back in X&Y where some people didn't want to accept the XY episode Lights! Camera! Pika!(it's Japanese episode title is "Pikachu Becomes a Star!? Its Movie Debut!!""How to Pikachu the Movie! Ready! Action!!"The Thunderclap Hero! Super Pikachu!!Pikachu's Thrilling Blooper Award) as an actual episode and kept arguing that it was a special even though Ash was in it all because the episode was formatted a bit differently.

Also I'm just going to point this out but considering the fact that Ash was in every episode before this of the main anime outside of the Mega Evolutions Acts and people didn't really seem to complain about that and yet somehow people suddenly have a problem him being in this episode even though they don't seem to have a problem with him being in similar episodes to this in previous series.