• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mallow the Runaway and Oranguru! (982)

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm a bit astonished that people are basing the worth of this episode entirely on whether Mallow got a big battle or a new pokemon. I thought most criticisms about her were that she didn't have episodes dedicated to her? If nothing else this is an episode largely about her, that should be worth something. Instead it sounds more like some of you had really off expectations.

we were so off with our expectations for Mallow to get something in a Mallow based episode... I don't think so :p

We just want the best for one of our favorite characters and they ain't giving it in our opinions

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I need to catch up on episodes, but based on what happens in this one, I'd say Steenee's chances of evolving are pretty high (which is great, because Tsareena (Bouncee) was my powerhouse in my game)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
'SM handles character progression well' :rolleyes:
Poor Mallow.... she takes ages to get a new focus episode and nothing really happens. I'm relieved she didn't catch Oranguru, but I was hoping it'd at least go work with her dad.
I'm convinced the writers really do hate her..... enough with the Lana episodes, give some to Mallow and Soph, damn it! They need some focus, the most notable thing those two have done is evolve Bouncesweet and catch Charjabug! They've done nothing else. -_-

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Mao chan's time to shine has came back!!! :D Aww poor Team Rocket blew their chance by humiliating themselves... the Bewear Donuts Shop looked pretty tasty. :(

This episode felt so relatable. Everyone has those days where they're overworked like machines and don't feel appreciated (even a simple thank you would make someone's day). I truly felt it here seeing I've been like that a lot. I just knew Mao's papa and Oranguru had a connection! But his sensei? I wouldn't have guessed it! That's one old Pokémon lol! And it's funny on how Mao's papa stumbled onto him just like she did. Like father, like daughter. Actualy, the rest of the classmates fell besides for Lady Lana, she got her inner Iris in her.

The battles especially between both Meowth and Steenee (or Bewear vs Oranguru) were great, those scenes remind us that Meowth is just a Pokémon like them and is willing to fight but both matches were so rigged with Oranguru's Psychic and Possession. It was still sweet watch Steenee slap the mess out of Meowth again and seeing Marieanie attack the TRio, they deserved it for kidnapping poor innocent Steenee.

I'm not sure why but why would Sophocles climb a tree barely 3 feet above the ground like that's gonna help with finding Mallow and Steenee? I loved that short bit between Prof Kukui and Ash. Lol, I had a feeling he said to Ash, "If you do your homework/study then you'll be on tv!" :p Oh Ash, it's not like you haven't been on tv and when you do, you get nervous and shy. :p I totally relate to Mallow when she was at the bar talking to Oranguru about her issues with her father, that's so me, I do that also, and complain about work. That job is tough and mentally exhausting seeing how popular the restaurant is. All she needed was a relaxing, stress free break and tons of drinking. Also another small bit I wanted to add is the cute relationship between Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny. Now that's something you don't see every region! It's cute hearing Joy call Officer Jenny "Jun chan" and they were doing their makeup at the Aina Cafeteria. :D

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I wasn't expecting Mallow to catch Oranguru, or even for Oranguru to join the Aina Cafeteria staff, so I'm not disappointed that Mallow didn't end up with a new Pokémon in this episode. However, I am actually hoping we see Oranguru again, now that Mallow and her friends know it's there. Maybe the next time one of the students needs to vent, he/she can go visit Oranguru's bar and pour out their woes over a glass of non-alcoholic juice. :p

I liked that Mallow ran away not just because her father wasn't helping her, but also because he wasn't acknowledging or thanking her for her work. She wanted a sign of appreciation, and that's perfectly understandable. It also gave more insight into her character. Even though she seems the type who would offer help at the drop of a hat, even she has her limits when it comes to her help being taken for granted. Oranguru essentially telling Mallow's father to thank his daughter just drove that point home.

Why are people criticizing Mallow for not being able to take on Team Rocket? They had kidnapped her only Pokémon (something they themselves pointed out). What do you expect her to do--try to take on Mareanie and Meowth with her fists? She still showed a backbone, talking back to them in spite of the fact she was essentially unarmed. She showed a backbone.

"Bewear vs. Oranguru" was probably the funniest part of this episode. At first, it seemed like there was going to be a showdown between the two of them (although to be honest, I thought Bewear was just going to turn around, pick up the TRio, and run off with them), but it turned out Bewear is one of Oranguru's regular customers, and was there to buy some juice. Priceless!

I thought this was a good demonstration of Oranguru's Instruct. Thanks to that ape, Steenee was turned into a bad*** whose Double Slap couldn't be dodged, and Meowth and Mareanie were turned into puppets.

What i like about this episode is Oranguru sounds in japanese, its sounds like "Yare Yare, Yare and Yutan"

"Yare Yare" in japanese is like an interjection that's an exclamation of relief, exasperation or disappointment.
while "Yare" is like "Do it!" in english

so when Mallow explaining her problem, Oranguru is like "Yare Yare" xD

also the time when Mallow is fighting TR and This pokemon sounds like "Yare" means "Do it"
I didn't pick up on that when I first watched the episode, but now that you've pointed that out, that was actually a pretty clever play on Oranguru's Japanese name.

Red and Blue

I knew that some people were going to dislike this episode if Oranguru wasn't caught. Good thing I went in not expecting it, lol.

Episode was enjoyable overall.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I knew that some people were going to dislike this episode if Oranguru wasn't caught. Good thing I went in not expecting it, lol.

Episode was enjoyable overall.

Of course. God forbid said character gets development that doesn't involve someone catching something/an evolution or a battle lol.

I agree the episode was pretty enjoyable.

DatsRight

I thought this was a good demonstration of Oranguru's Instruct. Thanks to that ape, Steenee was turned into a bad*** whose Double Slap couldn't be dodged, and Meowth and Mareanie were turned into puppets.

The thing is it's sort of equivalent to beating up someone tied to a post. Sure it shows you can hit well but it doesn't really make you bad*** or developed in skill. It's getting as bad as Serena, she couldn't even handle Meowth without another Pokemon rigging the match.

This wouldn't be a problem at all if, again like Serena, BOTH Mallow's episodes so far have been reduced to this, jobbing TR for plus points (and not even doing a remarkable job of THAT) when people would have much rather had a full episode of uninterrupted development out of the character. Don't put cheap action in for a character that you won't make it interesting with. While we at least got a bit of a flawed and humorous side out of Mallow this episode, she still feels like a pinball protagonist, she hasn't proven she can hold an episode like even Sophociles can do, especially since TR's humour still made a lot of this episode.

I did like the premise of the episode early on, with Mallow feeling unappreciated and stressed, but they should have just rolled with that. They want TR in the episode, have them as business like it seemed the start was hinting at. The plot with Oranguru actually felt shoehorned in, unless it will have a role later on in the series (I could see it being a funny comic relief character being essentially a bad*** bartender).

Last edited:

satopi

But Mallow did battle in this episode. Much longer than the last time she had a chance and when she was ready to go off on the TRio, she got interrupted by Bewear. Even though she is a kind and helpful person, she's not gonna stand there and wait for Ash to save her (actually, they came really late to meeting he like right after the TRio were carried away). Of course she needed help from Oranguru, a Grass type without anything sharp on her body and a Psychic type ape, chances are the Psychic type ape's gonna be the one to take action.

DatsRight

It wasn't a real team work battle though, it was Oranguru pretty much completely neutralising TR and Mallow cheap shotting them. A four year old could have done that, hell I'd rather they just had Oranguru do the whole thing so we could see more of it's move set. I also can't help but feel it would be similar to the whole 'Ash caging Charjabug' situation where if TR did it the heroes would be complaining how dastardly and cowardly a strategy it is.

I just get kind of sick of the TR job formula since it's not even boosting the characters anymore, they don't do anything remarkable to beat them, whenever TR put up a real battle they suck at it. I'd rather they just let Mallow have the episode to herself without TR or another character hijacking since if anything she'd be a character be better suited to a SOL episode. I mean she's not as bad as Serena where she was being forced in our face all the time with this, but come on, give the girl ONE WHOLE EPISODE.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Did anyone else catch onto the subtle yet complete dick that is *** Ketchum?

Rowlet (and Popplio) are lost! I'll use my trusty doggo!
My Z-Crystal is lost! I'll use my trusty doggo!
I need to gather these ingredients for Olivia to pass! I'll use my trusty doggo!
Mallow is lost!...meh.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Meowth is a Pokemon so of course it would want to dodge an attack by another Pokemon. It's only natural that your Pokemon would want to not get a full on beating throughout a battle. Yeah Steenee soloing him and the others would have been nice but I didn't expect much battling from this episode tbh. I can at least appreciate Ash not barging in to share the battling time with Mallow so that's good with me.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
It wasn't a real team work battle though, it was Oranguru pretty much completely neutralising TR and Mallow cheap shotting them. A four year old could have done that, hell I'd rather they just had Oranguru do the whole thing so we could see more of it's move set.

I just get kind of sick of the TR job formula since it's not even boosting the characters anymore, they don't do anything remarkable to beat them, whenever TR put up a real battle they suck at it. I'd rather they just let Mallow have the episode to herself since if anything she'd be a character be better suited to a SOL episode. I mean she's not as bad as Serena where she was being forced in our face all the time with this, but come on, give the girl ONE WHOLE EPISODE.

If Oranguru does the whole thing then Mallow gets crapped on for being useless

Poor girl can't win with the fans

DatsRight

If Oranguru does the whole thing then Mallow gets crapped on for being useless

Poor girl can't win with the fans

Mallow have the whole episode to herself WITHOUT super forced TR battle or Pokemon of the week? That could have worked.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Mallow have the whole episode to herself WITHOUT super forced TR battle or Pokemon of the week? That could have worked.

Mallow venting to nobody, then walking back and giving her dad the cold shoulder until he realises he needs to appreciate Mallow more.

This episode was set up perfectly for TR. A 'twerp' Pokémon is ripe for the taking, separated from its trainer. Its honestly their fault Oranguru intervened, they could have easily walked away, but no, they gloated about it to Mallow and bragged that there was nothing she could do.

Call it a TR jobbing if you must, they deserved this divine punishment on themselves through their own stupidity.

satopi

I need to gather these ingredients for Olivia to pass! I'll use my trusty doggo!
Mallow is lost!...meh.
His trusty doggo's sense of smell decreased once it evolved. :p (I was wondering this too.) Seeing that they all had to trip over a rock and roll around to find Oranguru's place, that's probably the only way. Remember, Mao's papa was the one who suggested that she's probably with his sensei. What was a dickish move was crushing Rowlet as he (Ash) was rolling down the grassy hill and landing on top of him.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.

Mallow is lost!...meh.

you referring to Lycanroc?

Lycanroc probably would've found her so fast Ash would've had enough time to jump into the fray, making things look worse for Mallow since it seems that some are already criticizing her battle with TR due to Oranguru

His trusty doggo's sense of smell decreased once it evolved.

Really hope your joking, I know it had issues using it's Z-move, but why would it's senses become less accurate?

Last edited:

DatsRight

Mallow venting to nobody, then walking back and giving her dad the cold shoulder until he realises he needs to appreciate Mallow more.

This episode was set up perfectly for TR. A 'twerp' Pokémon is ripe for the taking, separated from its trainer. Its honestly their fault Oranguru intervened, they could have easily walked away, but no, they gloated about it to Mallow and bragged that there was nothing she could do.

Call it a TR jobbing if you must, they deserved this divine punishment on themselves through their own stupidity.

Yeah, but did they NEED to be put into this episode for a fake dilemma? As said before, the battle wasn't even good and didn't boost Mallow's credibility remotely. The TR interruption was just shoe horned in for the same old reason, because they couldn't be bothered to make the twerp's character and story work on it's own.

Hell they want Team Rocket in this, why not have them try to steal Mallow's customers with their fast food while she had stormed off. That could have been a funny more different antagonist role for them.

Actually.....why DIDN'T they do that?

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
The thing is it's sort of equivalent to beating up someone tied to a post. Sure it shows you can hit well but it doesn't really make you bad*** or developed in skill. It's getting as bad as Serena, she couldn't even handle Meowth without another Pokemon rigging the match.

This wouldn't be a problem at all if, again like Serena, BOTH Mallow's episodes so far have been reduced to this, jobbing TR for plus points (and not even doing a remarkable job of THAT) when people would have much rather had a full episode of uninterrupted development out of the character. While we at least got a bit of a flawed and humorous side out of Mallow this episode, she still feels like a pinball protagonist, she hasn't proven she can hold an episode like even Sophociles can do, especially since TR's humour still made a lot of this episode.
Must you bring your hatred of Serena into nearly every single thread? Team Rocket may have been jobbers in this episode, but that was due to Oranguru, not to Mallow or Steenee. IMHO, the point of this episode wasn't for Steenee to get battle development; it was for Mallow's character to get more fleshed out, while also introducing Oranguru, with the added bonus of connecting Mallow and her father in some way.

It wasn't a real team work battle though, it was Oranguru pretty much completely neutralising TR and Mallow cheap shotting them. A four year old could have done that, hell I'd rather they just had Oranguru do the whole thing so we could see more of it's move set.
Mallow didn't cheap shot anybody. That was all Oranguru using Instruct, and in a way, one could argue that was a form of teamwork, since teamwork is sort of the basis of the move Instruct. Instruct requires another Pokémon, and since it's Oranguru's signature move, it's only natural that the writers would want to show it off. And if they want to show off just how strong the move is, then naturally, whoever is Oranguru's opponent is going to get stomped.

It would have been nice if the writers had chosen another source of conflict other than Team Rocket, but unfortunately, Team Rocket being the source of conflict for an episode is nothing new. Besides, as Frozocrone said, it's Team Rocket's fault Oranguru intervened. They should have left after kidnapping Steenee, but instead they took the time to gloat about it (a mistake they often make but never learn from) and taunt Mallow. They pretty much deserved to have their hindquarters handed to them.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Mao chan's time to shine has came back!!!
Saying that Mallow shined in this episode is equivalent to saying that Noivern shined in the Kalos League.