• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mallow the Runaway and Oranguru! (982)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Saying that Mallow shined in this episode is equivalent to saying that Noivern shined in the Kalos League.
What? This episode was centered around Mallow (and her relationship with her father) and gave more insight into her character. Ash and the others hardly played a role at all. How is that not Mallow shining in this episode?

DatsRight

We did get SOME amount of good character from Mallow this time, but she still feels very vanilla compared to the other twerps right now. She has not proved she can make a whole episode entertaining like they have, she still relies on the usual formula padding.

Even in terms of showing her more flawed side, it felt like the ending was shoving all blame onto her father, when her storming off without even trying to state her feelings certainly didn't help. Given how much Mallow puts on a happy front for everyone, this could have actually been good development opportunity for her, teaching her to be more open about negative feelings before they escalate and blast into something worse.

It's a mediocre for me, started off good with a lot of potential, but devolved into standard TR/COTD formula with nothing exceptional. Might get some points retroactively if Oranguru ends up a recurring character though. Or if, you know, Mallow finally gets a full day in the limelight.

Last edited:

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
What? This episode was centered around Mallow (and her relationship with her father) and gave more insight into her character. Ash and the others hardly played a role at all. How is that not Mallow shining in this episode?
Don't you know. Shining only ever involves winning a big battle or catching a fancy new Mon. Character and relationship insights? The hell are those?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm sad. Nobody got drunk. They are all juice fans (like me).

I hope Mallow's dad learned that he was this close to being sued for child labor...but then again, Officer Jenny didn't do a thing about it and she was there...

Rowlet (and Popplio) are lost! I'll use my trusty doggo!
My Z-Crystal is lost! I'll use my trusty doggo!
I need to gather these ingredients for Olivia to pass! I'll use my trusty doggo!
Mallow is lost!...meh.

And thus comes the reduced appearances of Lycanroc all due to being evolved and requiring more work to animate than a small little rocky puppy.

Evolve once and you shall never be in the backpack, Rowlet.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Pretty enjoyable episode I would say mallow definitely was the whole focus of the episode.

Nafsika

I loved that episode!!! Mallow isn't only a good person but it had and strong personality!!! I hope we get another Mallow episode soon!!!

DatsRight

And thus comes the reduced appearances of Lycanroc all due to being evolved and requiring more work to animate than a small little rocky puppy.

Evolve once and you shall never be in the backpack, Rowlet.

Oh crap. PLEASE don't become the next generic bad*** in a ball, Lycanroc.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
WTF?? Mallow got a nice episode here?? People are you completely blind?? She literally received ZERO development here whether it be pokemon wise or goal wise and ya'll are happy because her dad said thank you to her...you call this a Mallow focused episode where she literally did nothing but hurt her knee and vent, that's literally it.

And stop acting like Meowth is a pokemon all of a sudden, he's a small humanoid at best which is why he never battles and usually gets one hit KO'd. Steenee should have been able to easily nail him all on her own -_-...

DatsRight

It was a simple story, but that wasn't the problem for me. I would have been fine with that if they just went the whole way with it like they did with 'Farewell Sophociles', a character dealing with a simple issue can still be fun and have effect on their personality from this moment of proactivity, but here they shove in TR and Oranguru and it gradually stops being about Mallow's character or how she'll settle her earlier problem. Even when it comes back to that it's her dad that does all the talking and peace making.

And I don't mind Meowth being more capable either, but if they do, they can at least use the moment to get a fuller battle rather than turning it into curb stomp anyway. What was the damn point?

Last edited:

dman_dustin

well I give up on Mallow, she was the I guess by design the most interesting character, but it's damn clear she should've never been on the main cast, she's just as filler as this episode was, and I will hate the writers for this nonsense.

Nothing the writers can do to make it up, absolutely no way (in my opinion) to fix her filler character. anything is just nonsense.

I severely underestimated the writer's apathy and overestimated their ability to provide sense. and by this I mean, who in the hell came up with this stupid episode to make if focused on Mallow, shove Oranguru the most nonsense choice (and no her father's past encounter is irrelevant, don't act like that wasn't a plot contrivance) for something that should've been relevant to Mallow. and the only thing she has going for is now a completely random evolution.

fine call me a whiner, and a Mr. complains a lot, but ignoring all that, there is some severe favoritism going and for some serious bias against Mallow. Has to be for this to best they could give to Mallow which is the equivalent of nothing.

I can't even say "Mallow deserves better" because there'd be no point, it's not going to change, for me anyway, anything of value for Mallow is going to be just nonsense for me, absolute nonsense.

The only thing Mallow will have is the perpetual friendly like sidekick who has to rely on other people to have some role in the series, and that's sad.

If you liked this episode, fine, I don't care likewise, you don't need to care about my opinion, ignore it. Not here to tell people to enjoy or not enjoy the series, just expressing me thoughts of sheer disappointment that I feel Mallow will never get anything, and anything she gets will be forced nonsense for them to pretend like Mallow serves a vital role outside of sidekick role (in my opinion)

so I guess it'll be another 21 episodes for an episode to have more heavy focus on Mallow, Steenee's evolution?

well I do admit I was wrong. I never thought the writers would make a heavy Mallow episode involving a random nonsense Pokemon and have nothing of value come of it. sure for those who extremely like Mallow, I do hope it fulfilled your hopes and dreams for the character. It sure wasn't beneficial to me.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I would like to forget this episode as soon as possible, but what's the move Oranguru used in this episode?

I know this probably isn't your intention, but it always seems you act like supposedly bad episodes give you some kind of trama.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
this anime has never shown equality or fairness to it's characters or pokemon, and it never will.

I gotta admit though having watched it, Oranguru acts differently from how I thought one would act, at least this one did.

Last edited:

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Don't you know. Shining only ever involves winning a big battle or catching a fancy new Mon. Character and relationship insights? The hell are those?
Glad to see there's still some people around here who aren't blind.

Anyway, I thought this episode was alright. I liked the personal character growth that Mallow received. Usually we know Mallow as the one caring for or trying to help others (mainly Lillie), and being that positive person all the time. However, this time, she basically had a little breakdown and stormed off, because she seemed overwhelmed and unappreciated. This can be a very relatable situation and it was nice to see the writers insert some realism into this episode. It also developed the relationship between her and her father, and I like how they met Oranguru in the same fashion.

As for Team Rocket, what else is new...I mean, it is their main job to try and steal other's Pokemon, and they failed again like always (the real Team Rocket making an appearance here).

Last, I did like how Oranguru was introduced; having it's own little bar in the forest lol, listening to the troubles of people, and fixing them a drink. I thought this whole situation was hilarious. The same goes for the "showdown" between Bewear and Oranguru. :D

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's good that Mallow got an episode and learned a bit more about her dad (even though he really did grind her butt at work while he was out of the kitchen), but this doesn't change anything, does it? It goes back to her samey status quo (while also giving more stuff for Melemele to expand on...while screwing other islands like Akala...and they stole one of its native island Pokemon as well). A real changer would be her meeting her traveling (anime made-up) brother, though I doubt that would help her much since her dream apparently is too grounded on her home to let her travel at all. Unless her dad slips up and does it again, Mallow is back to her happy setting.

At least to me, Mallow is close to being the lowest in the food chain. (Sophocles is at rock bottom.)

I, for one, wished the relationships were centered around the main children trainers with some important scenes, but unfortunately, they're all too buddy-buddy and have zero to no friction so we're only left with flashbacks of short scenes. The children only ever have issues when it's about someone outside their circle (and that includes Kukui and his childhood friends). And when they do show some sort of friction...it's only between Ash and [insert Alolan kid here].

noakai

I feel like part of the problem for me personally is that while it wasn't bad, it wasn't super great either, and I was hoping for more because Mallow's been on the back burner for so long at this point. I think maybe adjusting my expectations will make future episodes about her less meh for me. I've really liked what they've been doing for Lana so I was hoping they'd start something like that with Mallow. Ah well, I hope we see Passimian later on since now we've seen Oranguru.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan

Things that have rarely been done well in the anime outside of XY/XYZ and maybe some of Kanto.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I adored how we saw Mao make all kinds of pouty expressions here, as well as the fact that she received some much needed attention on top of that. I was crossing my fingers hoping that Mao would go ahead and capture the Yaregutan, but even though that didn't occur, I absolutely loved when Kiteruguma exchanged goods with Yaregutan.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
I'll just say that Team Rocket bring life to this show. I love to see that they're going to be back for some episodes.