• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mallow's Valiant Effort! The Forest Pokémon Café!! (1064)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1064.jpg

Mallow's Valiant Effort! The Forest Pokémon Café!!

Needing some mushrooms for the cafeteria, Mallow visits Oranguru's Pokémon café in the forest. However, when there she sees the café is unusually busy so she decides to help Oranguru out. Making lots of drink and food for the Pokémon, she is soon shocked when the Island Guardian Tapu Koko appears. What will she make for Tapu Koko?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
I don't remember if I said it here but I swear I thought of a scenario where Oranguru is the one who gives Mallow a Z Ring.
I can' believe they gave her Grassium Z. I kinda wish Mallow would debut one of the left Z Moves but I'm still okay with that.

I'm guessing they didn't want to change Tsareena current moveset.

\And what did Meowth do there the whole episode?

Pokémon Translater

D

Deleted member 384931

Lol TRio is involved in almost every Mallow episode (except 108)

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I just don't understand the thought process of these writers. They're okay to give Mallow a Grassium Z, debunking the whole 'classmates can't share Z Crystals', yet avoided giving a Firium-Z till date when Torracat was practically screaming to use it.

D

Deleted member 384931

I just don't understand the thought process of these writers. They're okay to give Mallow a Grassium Z, debunking the whole 'classmates can't share Z Crystals', yet avoided giving a Firium-Z till date when Torracat was practically screaming to use it.
Yeah nobody does

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
So Mallow got a "Grassium-Z".

Guess that means Ash probably either,
- won't use his own "Grassium-Z" that much, or
- maybe Rowlet wouldn't be getting much battle screen time from now on (atleast won't get into battle which would require it to win with a Z-Move finisher).

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
Mallow getting Grassium here is just baffling.

Like I'm not mad, just...confused.

I can only assume they originally didn't intend for her to get z moves, and were hardline on the "classmates can't share crystals" thing, but just said screw it at the end. That's the only thing that explains Ash not getting the fire crystal, or Mallow not just getting this way back along with Ash.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
"Mao spends the entire episode being entirely in her comfort zone and suffering no more than minor inconveniences and gets a Z-Ring for it. Meanwhile everyone else frantically scrambles to keep the cafeteria afloat and somehow make it work despite every single thing we see of them indicating that they would horrendously fail. The end."

...You know it's a bad sign when the almost entirely neglected B-plot seems far more interesting than what was supposed to be the main story. It's like if we were at the League finale and they decided to keep the entire battle off-screen to instead focus on Team Rocket cleaning the base or something.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Episode was meh. There was no tension or stakes, Mallow didn't undergo any hardship so the reward didn't feel fully earned, and the cut away shots to the classmates did nothing but pad the run time.

The only highlight was that we know the Z-Crystal is Grassium Z, which means dupes are now possible between Ash and his friends/rivals. Sure, we had Gladion and his Rockium Z earlier, but as they say in science: "once is never, twice is forever".

I feel like this development now gives us context for the next month. Each episode will be upgrades. Ash will likely get Firium Z (I no longer think Torracat will evolve), and Team Rocket will get an upgrade next week to better establish themselves as league competitors - I don't know what that upgrade will be, but both Jessie and James will get it.

DatsRight

"Mao spends the entire episode being entirely in her comfort zone and suffering no more than minor inconveniences and gets a Z-Ring for it. Meanwhile everyone else frantically scrambles to keep the cafeteria afloat and somehow make it work despite every single thing we see of them indicating that they would horrendously fail. The end."

...You know it's a bad sign when the almost entirely neglected B-plot seems far more interesting than what was supposed to be the main story. It's like if we were at the League finale and they decided to keep the entire battle off-screen to instead focus on Team Rocket cleaning the base or something.

I don't know whether that would mean we've got a pretty crappy league or Team Rocket can just inherently make cleaning the base THAT entertaining. :p

Mallow and Lana feel like the big outliers of this series. SM seems to be really fond of the 'vindication' plot, having protagonists who are bungling underdogs and use all their agency and niches to still somehow prove they can amount to something in spite of working against their own foibles and weak spots. Even most of Team Rocket's limelight episodes tend to have them prove they can get something done in spite of being full on 'losers'.

Mallow and Lana seem to be characters the writers don't really like crapping on or making NOT in control of their world, there's no pressure on them or force to use a more distinctive approach to get anything done, they're never the fish out of water or even have much along the line of flaws or vulnerabilities, which tends to make their approach far duller and less developed. It feels like they just completely gave up trying to make Mallow a wacky character with her own idiosyncrasies as the series went on, she's a complete every girl in this episode. It's maybe why the girls don't often get ensemble episodes, when they want Lillie to bounce off of someone, they just use her family or Ash.

I can't really hate this episode, it was nice they had another episode that just focused on Mallow's actual talent rather than something dull and irrelevant like beating up Team Rocket or some equivalent. The biggest problem was execution, it's odd how little distinct agency they can put into Mallow's cooking and how her Pokemon come into it, Shaymin was once again completely in the background, this is not what the little guy needs at this point. I think the brief shot of Kiawe's team making a pizza had more distinctive use of their abilities than anything Mallow's team done. It's strange because the show has done this plenty of times over with COTD.

The 'off the clock' chemistry with Mallow and Meowth was pretty fun, I find it a real shame this series didn't do this more often with TR over just sticking to formula, it was the perfect series to do so (we need another "Jeeves" appearance :p). Odd how Bewear just left Meowth at the bar, seemingly intentionally so Mallow had a functional translator, I get the suspicion that it is in on the deities' plans.

Mallow getting Grassium Z was unexpected. It's not something I can complain too much about, it's a call back to Mallow knowing the move before Ash did, so it's at least something she can do from experience. Odd how Sophocles is the only one without his signature type if characters are allowed to double dip though.

Also seems Primarina hasn't been completely demoted yet. If they can fit Turtonator into all this, they can get her in.

Last edited:

NitroLightningFlash

Ok....i don't know what to say about this episode....like i'm glad Mallow got a Z Ring and Z Crystal and all (she's my favorite Sun and Moon female main character) am glad she's not being left out....but why the Grassium Z???

Are they telling us they CAN share Z moves now? Then why couldn't Torracat have gotten the Firium Z by now, it's gone so long without one...kind of unfair if you ask me...not because of Mallow sharing a Z Crystal but not fair on Torracat going without one for so long if this was going to happen all along (granted he could get the Incinium Z in the end but now i see no excuse not to of given Torracat the Firium Z early in the series)...

Wonder if this means Rowlet may evolve now...since Mallow has the Z Crystal he uses (unless Ash gets another Rowlet could use later).

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
They’ve saved the best for last! :DI’ve enjoyed this episode. This reminded me so much of the time when I was a cook at a hotel and I was learning how to mix drinks as a bartender (for a short while.) Mao chan got her a Z Crystal and a Z Ring!!! I’m so proud of her! ;~;

It was funny seeing everyone work (props to them only making Olivia’s klutzy self the only one almost messing up.) I’m really liking her Z Ring. I liked that Olivia designed it for her, it was really dusty and worn out.

It was a nice change seeing only Meowth and he had no interest in trying to steal her Pokémon or try to mess with her in general. A good respectful manner between them. It was fun while it lasted since we know those two are barely going to be shown getting along.

2 characters getting a Z Ring back to back! It seems like they’re trying to pace the League into a decent battle count. Hopefully they won’t start skipping battles or not showing them at all like they did in the Kalos League. I wanna see what these guys got up their sleeve!

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Yet another example of something that could’ve happened way earlier in the series but didn’t because???

Was nice to see Olivia again. I love how she just so happened to stop there the same day Mallow gets a Z Ring

Honestly was more interested in the classmates overexert themselves than Mallow’s affair with Oranguru (who I was happy to see again as well)

Would’ve preferred if Oranguru gave her the Z Crystal

As for the Grassium Z, sure it fits but why not let her debut one? As others have pointed out, it just makes Torracat’s lack of a Z Move look awkward. Also kind of irritates me that Sophocles doesn’t get a Electrium-Z while the other 3 get their respective Type’s Z Crystal. Would’ve preferred Psychium but nonetheless it’s good every main character has a Z Ring even if there was a huge gap between the latter 3

Meh episode. 5/10

DatsRight

It's a shame because they could have done this double dip in the Akala arc, them aiming to win the Totem Trial but BOTH being rewarded. Better than Mallow being forced into inactivity for that episode.

I would have loved Mallow to remain the competitive genki girl she was in the pancake episode and end up Ash's non-battle rival, sadly that never really happened, despite them still destined to mirror Z Moves.

D

Deleted member 384931

Why gives Tapu Koko a Z-Crystal that isnt available on its island? Where did it get it anyway?