• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Man the sprites back in the day were terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archgemini24

Enter the Dragon.
The back sprites were terrible, but most of the front sprites were not gouge-your-eyes-out bad. I like the old Dragonite sprites more than the newer ones, to be honest.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Some of them were good such as Magikarp,Snorlax, Bulbasaur, Charmander and some others the others some were okay some were bad not horrible.

IMO, the back sprites, as well as the front sprites in Red and Blue were terrible. But I really like how the front Yellow and Green sprites are. Yellow's has to be the most correctly porportioned, and Green's sprites give the pokemon a sense of personality. The only Yellow sprite I didn't like was Articuno's since it looked like it has a beak that looked like a dog's snout. It was only today that I realized that the 'snout' was actually it's fluffy chest :/

Emo_Kirlia

I like the Ruins of Alhp Unown. They look skinnier compared to Solaceon Ruins Unown. The Unown '?????' Radio station that played on the Pokegear when you got near Ruins of Alph scared the s*** out of me as a kid. More than Lavender Town.

ayeeprill

Shorts Boy- my hero!
@ Emo_Kirlia: Lavender Town's music wins at life. :)

Early Mew will always give me nightmares....

pichu96

The sprites make me seem like a pro artist! LOL

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I bet back then we all though that these were the best sprites ever but obviously with the latest games it makes these sprites look horrible. But some of the sprites back then looked alright IMO

_ZK

is God
red and blues Golbat made me laugh

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Aww. Thats not very nice. I liked Moltres's Sprite Blue and Mews Red Sprite and Raichus and Pidgeottos Green sprite. Yellow Mew sucked and Yellow's Missingno looked liked it ate too many pies (I looks like an obese R/B Missingno, yeah Glitch sprites CAN get worse)

Rensch

What about Koffing. I always wondered why Red/Blue was the only game with the markings above his face. Even Green did not have that.

popsicle

teh frozen treat
Oh my god I can't believe there's a thread like this! I'm going to improvise.
greenspr107.png

Look at this. Stare at it and it looks like a Dodou taking a crap with a Togikess watching.

Mega Typhlosion

I think the bad quality of some sprites has nothing to do with being on a Gameboy. Pidgeotto needed to be THAT fat? Pidgeot looks like everything but a Pidgeot. Yellow version was also for the Gameboy and the Pokémon actually looked like themselves.

Yellow version has the best sprites to date for a lot of Pokémon, in my opinion. Namely, Pikachu, Raichu, Nidoking, Charizard, Flareon, Persian...

Red/Blue sprites were not bad graphically... they were just bad drawings (Koffing has its eyes below the skull mark...that's a major mistake).
On the other hand, Nidoking and Lapras are preety good.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
"Man the sprites back in the day were terrible"

Yes, yes they were.

It was freakin 1996. Game Boy Color. 'Nuff said. =\

ChloboShoka

Writer
The sprites in green are a bit WTFish. I think Butterfree's sprites in the 1st gen are cute. Jynx was quite accurate and the green one is like: Jynx: Let me give you a kiss. XD
Geodude looked evil with those eyes though. Bedrill looks hawt in green. Magikarp is still looking gorgeous as usual. Though Chansey did look distorted in the R/B spirte.

Yellow truly did make improvements in the sprites. Back-sprites did look messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.