• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Man the sprites back in the day were terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narutopokedude

← currently hunting
I agree that venusuar was the worst sprite. But I thought Mew actually looked good.

ElectricRat

Back off!
IMO, the worst sprite ever was Wigglytuff's sprite in the original Red and Green. Just look at it:

Spr_1g_040.png

Scary...

As for the others, they were mostly ok. The backsprites were a bit odd but hey they were just starting out. The fact that this many creatures could fit into a game on the original game boy games was in itself amazing.

leilukin

Dragon Tamer
I actually like some of the sprites, like Dragonite's and Dragonair's in R/B.
Of course, some of the sprites are awful. I hate Golbat's sprite in R/B the most.

Spiffee

Yeah.
Man, the R/B sprites are so... retro.

What we thought was "good" back then are just hilarious now. :P

drake13

Ryukishi
agreed...talk about dragonite's sprite waaaay back o_O

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I can't believe that 2 years priorior to RG release, "Pulseman" (Which was Designed by Satoshi Tajiri and the artwork done by Ken Sigromi (Designer and artist for POKEMON respectivly) was released on the SEGA Mega Drive. The game had BRILLIANT sprites and the R/G come along... Oh, what a dissapointment...

Evanarios

...yep
Well looking at the sprites now they are pretty bad, but back then I never noticed the extreme pixelation on back sprites.

Good ay!

~Evanarios

Ah yes... the good old blocky sprites! I never really thought about it when playing the game but some of the sprites were pretty bad! But hey! The game was still a lot of fun!

Alloute

Not Banned
Huh, the Wigglytuff sprite looks awful.

Such a shame, even the Green Mew looks better than Wiggly :/

empoleon49

Dawn's number 1 fan™

Pikachu78

Spider-Dan
I thought they were terrible but playing now makes me think they're great as it gives me a fealing that im back in the 90's/80's.

Shiny Rokon

The sprites didn't really bother me then, some pokemon have changed since especially ones like koffing and ekans - that doesn't even look like the same pokemon. Fell in love with these sprites then, but its good technology has moved forward since then. The back of them ... yeah, some you can't even tell what that blob is suppose to be.

random guardian

Get your flame on!
you should never look on the back sprites of 1st gen pokemon before playing 4th gen or you could damage your eyes. some days those sprites needed imagination to tell what they are just like atari 2600. some day we will see the 9th gen and look back at the sprites we have today.

rocko

hihowru
IMO, the worst sprite ever was Wigglytuff's sprite in the original Red and Green. Just look at it:

Spr_1g_040.png

Scary...

As for the others, they were mostly ok. The backsprites were a bit odd but hey they were just starting out. The fact that this many creatures could fit into a game on the original game boy games was in itself amazing.

Wow,it looks like this o_O like high or something

Status
Not open for further replies.