• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Man the sprites back in the day were terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turquoise

Kanto Trainer
Hypno was balling!
And lol at ekans, farfetch'd, geodude, golbat, chansey, psyduck, growlithe/arcanine, and many MANY more.

I just played my crystal after I played my Diamond I was like O_O Oh wow and I thought these where so high teck back in the day lol.

tatsujingosuto

aah, the old fat blastoise! He looked like a balloon :p

and venaseur looked really beat up in green >_>

you know who else is really fat back then? Pikachu (especially in Pokemon Yellow)
I continue to laugh at Golbat and Dragonite in the 1st generation of Pokemon

;354;TG

InfernoTheStrang

Pokemon. /smartbutt
I never have cared much. Even though I started with Pokemon Gold, I never really cared. I never payed attention to the graphics. I did wonder why some sprites seemed so weird, though. e_o

I loved Pokemon Yellow's art for the Pokemon best.

Sprintking

you know who else is really fat back then? Pikachu (especially in Pokemon Yellow)
The RB sprite is the pudgy one

Ah, the good old days, when a game could have terrible graphics and still be considered a masterpiece.

I have to say that Yellow's graphics may be my favorite for any gen, they were really well done for when it was released. Even though some of you might be hatin on the sprites, seeing how ridiculous some pokemon *cough*wigglytuff*cough* looked back then is the most enjoyable part of replaying those games.

Absol trainer

Hidden Valley...
I love them more than I hate them. The pokémon I remember being tortured in blue was Primeape. It was a big fat ball with spikes :D.

Triniti

Oracle
er, I think some people might be missing the point of the thread. It's a thread about the crappy art design, NOT the dated graphics. As evidenced by Yellow, the sprites could look brilliant with simple graphics. However, for Red, Green and Blue, the design (NOT the graphics) was dreadful. It completely put me off playing the game, which is why I rarely ever play through my copy of Red, and if I do try and play it again, I get turned off by the horrid sprites and don't finish it (I have only bothered to finish Red once). If I'm in a nostalgia mood, I play Gold, or simply wish that I had Yellow. :p

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Mew was terrible. But I like some of the sprites. They have a certain charm about them.

freakyboy05

Swing the bat
Blastoise looked like King DeDeDe, but I don't dis the graphics, that's what my childhood is made from. But still, some of them were horrible.

Farmermon

Is back once again!
They weren't as good with the spriting, so they probably couldn't make it as good and stuff now they are awesome at it (I hate the new pidgey sprite tho)

I actually still appreciate most of them, but there were some sprites, like those of moltres and primeape, that had nothing to them.

Golbat came to my mind as soon as I read the title.
My brother and I get a good laugh every time we see it.

Grifstar

Ancient Lurker
My only possible explanation to some of them is that some Pokemon were meant to be different than they are today(because unless my memory is totally tripping out, the anime appeared much later). When Yellow came out things changed because they wanted the games more based on the show's design, instead of the other way around.

Others, I really don't know. Other than, yeah, "they're just terrible"

kiogrey

RS REMAKES
Sure they're terrible, but they always make me LOL.

K-B-K

Has no one metioned Moltres from green? That is BY FAR the worst.

proudnerd3

The Proudnerd
They weren't all bad!

The ones in Red and Blue (and maybe Green, I wouldn't know), we awful, but some of the ones in Yellow were all right. My favorite, Dragonair and Dragonite.

team_magma93

Hmm... Yes.
I actually liked some of the poses for the R/B/Y sprites more than some of the more current sprites. Some just looked psychotic.

Charizard looks epic in Yellow.

Lapras looks sweet in Red and Blue. And tbh, I like the rounded edges on some of the Pokemon in the older games ^^ I think they looked neat.

Like I said though, some looked retarded. Such as Gastly in Red and Blue XD

(IMO, worst was Mew in Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.