• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Man the sprites back in the day were terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Local Guy

terrible?
red/blue has the best nidoking sprite to date, in my opinion

they were either terrible (moltres, seaking) or great (insert), there was no middle ground, probably

--wishmaker

I actually like the original sprites a lot, heh. Nostalgia, I guess. Green definitely has the strangest sprites, though some of them are quite cool looking.

palkia1

Palkia Lover
I know, some of the sprites were horrible in RBY. I especially hated the Geodude and Golbat sprites.

FlyingTotodile

Many totodiles can't
I only notice the terrible sprites when I replay the games after playing some of the more advanced ones, although even some of the GBA sprites look terrible compared to the D/P ones. Some are still cool such as Nidoking, Mewtwo and Beedril. The only two dire ones that spring to mind are Eggucutor and Eevee.

Don't dis the back sprites tohugh! They make great Mario Kart Emblems! People I race spend a lot of time staring at Pikachus yellow ***!

NES

Flip me to the side!
They weren't terrible, not back then i guess...

I remember the first time i saw the pokemon, they were pretty impressive for me.Sure i saw the American version sprites which are slightly better, but even the Japanese ones were not bad!.

Volvagia

I think Venausaur was the worst sprite back then. I couldn't see a Venausaur in it. It looked more like some freaky salad. And don't dis these great sprites. Sure, some of you might think they are horrible, but you know, for a Gameboy with horrible graphics this was quite amazing. And by the way, just look at the R/B Sprite of Pidgeot, it's just great. :]

Well, these games were made back in the 90's and the beginning of the 21st century. Back then, I thought they looked good even though Venasaur looked like it had random leaves or something on its back. I agree that they weren't the best sprites but they did make some good ones and others were just, "What?"

NES

Flip me to the side!
Probably my only real complain about them was the "back" sprites, they lacked detail for obvious reasons, but the front ones were impresive for me back then, i remember staring at them sometimes.Nostalgia!.

May Ketchum

Dawn IS my world....
Some sprites were good, but most were awful, but as they advanced and with new games, the sprites got better and were more pleasing to look at

Lugia Tamer

< Is friggin awesome
greenspr113.png

Heeheehee... cookie dough...

Some sprites in green were pretty good (emphasis on "some") But the bottom line is the sprites in the later games are better. End of story.

Mah favorites (from Green):
greenspr135.png

greenspr130.png

Lol:
greenspr023.png
Fear the ducksnake!
greenspr035.png
"What the heck are you doing?"
greenspr044.png
"Whoa... dude..."

Well ofcourse they where bad compared to the sprites of the later games. But weren't most of the graphics for game boy games bad. We considered them normald back these days.

But I have to admit that the back sprites where really horrible. Charmeleon looked like a seal -_-°

Last edited:

John Light

I guess the sprites were quite bad, but at least they have been changed for future generations, the crys have not and still sound horrible.

The best R/B/G/Y sprite has to be chansey.

Chansey was awesome. The rest were freaker than Cynthia in the morning. Such as...
Skeletal Charizard's back sprite (RB)
GitInMaBelly Mewtwo (Y)
Magmar o_O (RB)
Parasect (RB)
Machamp (G)
Golem (RB)
And last but not least, RB Moltres who doesn't even look the right way!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.