• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Man the sprites back in the day were terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

NES

Flip me to the side!
which is why i caught six on the way to mewtwo...

there probably is no r/b sprite worse than moltres. even by the standards of the time...

I give you that. Moltres sprite was poor. I remember watching a poster i had with the first art of the 150 pokemon (even some pokemon have names like Tentacruel=manowar) and i looked at Moltres and then Moltres in game, and i was like "what the **** they don't look alike".

Dusk

Dawn
Look at the size of the flower on the Green Venusaur sprite, HOLY CRAP!

I must admit I always liked Onix's sprite but it always looked so disproportionate to the other sprites

RYKUU

Water Trainer
nothing is as worth as KOFFING hes upside down.

Yellow Pikachu and Lapras were well done.

Yellow Pikachu WOULD BE, WOULDN'T IT?

Upside-Down Koffing? Shows how much the designers could be bothered with making them like the 'mons.

RB Cloyster scared me.

ronniesafc

*inset witty phrase*
They wernt the best were they. Still didnt take away from what a good game it was.

RagTag

Shroomin'
Nidorina looks absolutley nothing like it's supposed to, Machoke looks deformed,Raichu looks like he has a serious weight problem and Ivysaurs back sprite looks like a hand holding a candle

Last edited:

Dusk

Dawn
I have a few to add;
- Koffing- his skull and corssbones are on top of his head instead of below
- Green Ekans- FEED ME!!!
- Primeape- Porcupine much?
- Blasatoise- when he loses a few pounds we'll talk

Cipher

Nothing to be done
At GameFreak Headquaters, 1996:

"Well, good work team. The games are released tommorow."
"Shall we run through everything, sir?"
"Battle system up and running?"
"Check."
"Trainers programmed?"
"Check."
"Appearence rates set?
"Check."
"151 Pokemon sprites?"
"F*ck. We can get those done in eight hours, right?"

And the rest was history.

RagTag

Shroomin'
At GameFreak Headquaters, 1996:

"Well, good work team. The games are released tommorow."
"Shall we run through everything, sir?"
"Battle system up and running?"
"Check."
"Trainers programmed?"
"Check."
"Appearence rates set?
"Check."
"151 Pokemon sprites?"
"F*ck. We can get those done in eight hours, right?"

And the rest was history.
lol, I knew it!

Cerulean21

Time Traveller
Actually I think there have been some very good Sprites in Red/Blue. The RB sprites of Dratini and Dragonair are actually my favourites of all time....

razr12

Your Mom's Trainer
The human sprites weren't so bad, but a lot of the Pokemon sprites were-meh-terrible. But then again, I couldn't do any better.

grounder

*sneezes*
There were some sprites that were 'cool old school'. But I keep on remembering the back sprite of Gyarados... >_<

Cool_Trainer_Tyrone

Only Train The Best
Just rember they where made in 1996 even older,and the games and R/B/G came out before the anime thats why pokemon yellow has some really good sprites,a perfect eg would be ganger he had no spikes intill yellow verson.

Masato

Proud Pokemon Vet.
Looking back on it nowadays it was real hidious. But they where at least decent back then. Enough to entertain cause standards were low.

The Lemonkraken

The Toad Man Shuffle
Red & Blue Golbat = Scariest thing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.