• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Man the sprites back in the day were terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kites

Champ In The Making
Looking back, yeah.

But when you think of it... Most of us thought that those graphics were l33t back then.
I mean, I did.
& Still do to a point.

Forretress Fan

Let's Go
Lol I still crack up when I look back at Chansey, Venusaur, and Blastoise. But really it was amazing to make that type of game back then, took some years. Now on the D/P Graphics, I just go "Woah"

Batdude

Old school
The only reason many kids where mad about the sprites when they first came out is because they didn't match the anime's rendition of the pokemon.
It was enough of a problem that they changed all the sprites in Yellow version, and have since made every new games' sprites match more to the anime.

I personally love the original sprites as these are the original designs of the Pokemon.
Were the sprites not based off the original art, like in the instruction booklet...? In which case the anime is very much correct, and some of the spriting was just horrible... The fact they made the sprites more anime-looking for yellow decreased the quality of some of the sprites though, like Pidgeot which I'm not crazy about in yellow at all...

Hm, looking back some of the sprites were downright amazing, considering the technology.
Ones like Zapdos, Dragonite (green), Aerodactyl, and Onyx could probably rival some of the later sprites.

Mew (green), Seaking, and Exxecutor, however...
Green's Hypno looks like it [assaults] children...
I think that's a very good point, that some of the old sprites can rival some of the newer ones in terms of picture quality. If you look at Kingler's sprite from yellow it looks downright cool, but I've disliked every Kingler sprite since then. I guess it's a matter of taste at the end of the day!

Too bad they never made a R/B Nidoking revamp. When I had another scan through the sprites today, Nidoking looks actually really cool.

If Typhlosion was around in the 1st gen, what would it have looked like, Probably like a deformed worm with candyfloss flames. And no claws on his hands/feet. What? They looked awful those days...

Anyone got a Typhlo devamp?

DragonKazooie89

PokeBound Trainer
Not all of the sprites were bad in Red and Blue: Voltorb, Mewtwo, Mew, Shellder, Psyduck, Poliwag, Clefairy and Staryu were quite good for being in black and white.

DJDojo

Clefable in Disguise
All I know is that Golbat freaked me out...back in the day he looked like a perv, what with that tongue hanging out and all...
Heck, I could picture him saying "Heh, heh, heh. *Pants* Where's mah hentai gurrls?!"

Andywoo

Banned
^and considering in was '95 or whatever that. Look at how technology has changed in 13 years.

I actually think there not as bad as people say they are

DJDojo

Clefable in Disguise
The graphics are "bad" if you look at the games with 2008 standards, but the fact is that I still have fond memories of my Pokemon: Blue game. I just didn't like the Golbat pics, that's all - they could have chosen something more...tasteful.

piplup911

Piplup is cool
yeah they were, but i really like them now. i played red all over again just to see the sprites. i love them. it also amazes me how pokemon can change so much in a good, oh, 10 years or so. old days: get all badges and 151 pokemon, colorless graphics, giant cartrige and a ton of glitches. nowadays: get all badges, 5 ribbons, and symbols(new platinum battle island) 493 pokemon, top-quality color, tiny storage disk, and almost no glitches. it amazes me how much pokemon changed in the last 10 years.

Before you start bashing RBG sprites, look at three recent sprites.

- DP Espeon.
- DP Vileplume
- DP Phanpy

Then compare them too...

-RB Nidoking
-RB Gyarados
-Any 1st gen Chansey.

Still think newer is better?

poke'master

haha when battling with pikachu or a haunter i wanted to rage quit those sprites were so bad. it was discrasful! i don't mind the d/p sprites. i think they're pretty good. still better then stadium :p

Revengent

Fiddlesticks *snaps*
Yeah Pikachu's was pretty bad if I remember correctly.

Jirachi_Star

Fiddlesticks!
Back in the day there wasnt very good materials for making a better game.Most of the sprites from the back looked horrible.

DJDojo

Clefable in Disguise
That's mainly because the technology wasn't as advanced as it is today...I mean, take the games that came out the same year as Red & Green (1996):
- Duke Nukem "3D"
- Diablo
- Phantasmagoria
etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.