• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mandatory Vaccinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
With the recent spike in measles, I think it is the perfect time to talk about mandatory vaccines.

Should all people able to be vaccinated be vaccinated?

Does it violate bodily autonomy? Why should the government regulate the bodies of its citizens? Does this mean we are trading liberty for security?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I feel like if the government ordered mandatory vaccinations, it would end up getting way too much flack and would potentially hurt the cause.

Instead, I think we should snub them out of public places, so they can stop being wimps and get the god damn vaccinations.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Answer is yes! The doctor who said vaccines caused autism later admitted to making it up. I blame that bimbo Jenny McCarthy for the hysteria. She is such a moron that she claims that she knows HIV isn’t spread by kissing but also believes working with Charlie Sheen put her at risk. Really b*&$#? Why do people listen to her?! This is the same woman who admitted to once attempting to have sex with a tree and tried to blame that stupidity on drugs! If anti-vaxxers could live with and adjust to having a kid paralyzed in an accident or being diagnosed with diabetes or cancer then there is absolutely no excuse why they can’t adapt to having an autistic kid.

U.N. Owen

Answer is yes! The doctor who said vaccines caused autism later admitted to making it up. I blame that bimbo Jenny McCarthy for the hysteria.

Anti-vaccination and anti-inoculation has actually been around for nearly 150 years. Alfred Russel Wallace, one of the fathers of the modern theory of evolution, was against vaccinations. In fact, early vaccines were highly dangerous since they contained a live virus.

Here's the thing: people then had more legitimate safety concerns since a live virus was used.

We don't have that safety concern thanks to modern science.

But yes, McCarthy is drooling idiot who said her feelings are equal to facts and Wakefield's study was refuted to hell and back.

Yes. In my country there's one vaccine that's mandatory which is polio (as probably in most European countries). Polio is extinct in this part of the world now.

In fact, rejecting this mandatory vaccination is seen as child abuse/negligence by law here and seen as a negligence towards public healthcare and is always taking to court since it's seen as a crime.

There's other vaccines (like measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, etc) which aren't mandatory per sé but heavily promoted and systematically given by doctors that do annual medical checkups in school when the children have a certain age.

I think more of these vaccines should be mandatory. They're part of the reason why child mortality is much lower now than let's say 100 years ago. Anti vaxxers are usually conspiracy theorists and should be seen as a danger to society, like people who reject the polio vaccine here are.

Are vaccines 100% safe? No, sometimes you have people who react badly on a vaccine. That percentage is a lot lower than the mortality rate when we wouldn't be vaccinated though. Some people are also allergic to certain compounds of the vaccines and can't get them because of that. Which means those people benefit the most of it if everyone who is able to be vaccinated actually is vaccinated, it's basically herd protection.

As a nurse, I've got 3 more mandatory vaccinations due to my profession, namely tetanus (which has to be renewed every 10 years) and hepatitis A and hepatitis B (which I had to get a series of vaccinations for during set times to get lifelong immunity). We also get a yearly test to spot of we didn't catch TBC during the past year.

As an autistic, it makes me really angry that anti-vaxxers believe that vaccines cause autism when vaccines obviously do not cause autism. Autism is mostly caused genetically. Anti-vaxxers should just shut up and people should be vaccinated.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
When it comes to vaccines, there is no true "mandatory". If you don't like it, you can run and hide, immigrate to a country without vaccination requirements, lie/forge your vaccination status or find some way to function outside of society. If you honestly believed that vaccines caused autism, you would do everything in your power to escape being inoculated. But few people go to this extent, even after the myth was debunked, because it's not actually about vaccines.

It's not about fluoridated water, or about climate change either. It's about uneducated, right-wing leaning voters believing in a mass conspiracy - leftist, capitalist, governmental or otherwise - and conservative politicians using that rhetoric to terrify and manipulate them. I worked in a public hospital and there is deep political, cultural distrust toward the government. This distrust actually has roots going as far back as the founding of the United States, which was always against concentrated national power.

Ultimately, vaccines are a final line of defense against disease epidemics, with the ideal status quo where the risk of contracting a disease from the vaccination exceeds the risk of catching it in the environment. This is the case with smallpox, which is extinct now that the vaccine stocks have been destroyed. As they say in the military, it's not about you.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I honestly believe that parent who don’t vaccinate their kids are guilty of child endangerment towards other people’s children who can’t get vaccinated because they are either too young or their immune system can’t handle vaccines. Those types of situations I fully understand and won’t have a problem with because it isn’t anyone’s fault that they physically can’t get vaccinated. I have Asperger’s and I live a relatively normal life and I got all of the vaccines that were out at the time I was still in school. The only ones that I don’t have are the HPV and that new Meningitis vaccines because they weren’t around back then. I got the chickenpox vaccine as soon as it came out because I never had the illness. I’m pretty healthy other than my weight. I’m proof that being on the autism spectrum doesn’t have to limit what I can and can’t do and that autism isn’t as bad as the media says.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Using Anti-vaxxer's logic against them is easy.

I'd rather have a living, loved, physically healthy child with autism than one used by their parents to promote their politics at the cost of the child's wellbeing, to please 8chan, Trump, God, eugenics steeped in white fertility cults baked from Nazi and Confederate values and THE PARTY.

If you can't love and properly raise a child with autism(or any other diversity) because you're a lazy bum of a parent to learn to live with and for children regardless of their differences, then you shouldn't be breeding. You sure as **** ain't SS Ubermensch breeding stock, and you will never get the sex if you want to breed.

Give your kids their shots, and love and care for them, no matter what. If you are incapable of this, you aren't going to make the next Aryan or get the sex.

(Yes, I'm bringing Nazis and incels into this. Because they're often connected to hating children and autism. Godwin's law is an alt-right excuse to not defend themselves, and incels perpetrate crap like this.)

U.N. Owen

Using Anti-vaxxer's logic against them is easy.

Because their beliefs are not based on science or the science they use the exception in an attempt to force a rule. Or they will argue bodily autonomy while begging for someone to pay for their homeopathy.

Godwin's law is an alt-right excuse to not defend themselves

Godwin's Law is just a summary and not a defense.

U.N. Owen

Who cares? I rather not deal with a measles outbreak in my community.
You'd be surprised on the amount of morons who believe bodily autonomy trumps all. There are legitimate people who believe that they can get drunk and drive in a car because it's "my body, my choice." That was a big waste of my time for jury duty I'll give you that.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Because their beliefs are not based on science or the science they use the exception in an attempt to force a rule. Or they will argue bodily autonomy while begging for someone to pay for their homeopathy.

Godwin's Law is just a summary and not a defense.
If they're going to use bodily autonomy, I'll point out how that they should be pro-choice. And if they aren't(usually are not), I'll have them in a hypocrisy headlock.

And a lot of people think their opponents have "lost" the argument by mentioning Nazis.

If I've hit THAT usage of Godwin's, I know I've rooted out a rotten core aspect of the person in question.

It's just like insulting a certified incel's genitalia's arousability, size, neural dominance and functionality:It gets a predictable radio silence or claims of insanity on my end. Usually reveals what kind of chickens**t I'm dealing with to others. Can't handle their dick being insulted, so they act cowardly and defensive, almost like they're hypocrites. Some alpha males...not secure enough in their masculinity to deal with their own genitalia being insulted after fetishizing, shaming and insulting other people's nethers constantly.

If someone can't responnd in a way that isn't projecting or "no, you're X" or "are YOU X that I'm being accused of", then you're probably right about them.

Anti-vaxxers can be singled out, showed up and shamed for either selectively applying bodily autonomy or not being willing to love a child unless they're "normal". That's what I'm getting at.

U.N. Owen

If they're going to use bodily autonomy, I'll point out how that they should be pro-choice. And if they aren't(usually are not), I'll have them in a hypocrisy headlock.

I've actually met pro-life and pro-choice anti-vaxxers. Keep in mind, I'm a biology adjunct professor working on a PhD. When I think I've seen something so self-contradictory that it will never be topped, life surprises me.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Yes we should. People really shouldn’t rely on assuming that most people are getting vaccinated. I remember getting a minor symptom of Swine flu/H1N1 back in middle school during the outbreak. We have to thank the past for eradicating Polio but it could very well come back (or an even worse disease) if people don’t vaccinate themselves/their children. Not getting vaccinated is harming not just yourself but everyone else. Though I do understand that getting your vaccinations are expensive or you can’t afford it. The human body is a fragile being that can easily deteriorate because of curable diseases.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think we should move anti-vaxxers to a deserted island.
I second that. Anti-vaxxers are responsible for the re-emergence of measles and mumps in children. The doctor who claimed that vaccines caused autism later publicly admitted to faking info in his paper. I blame most of this on that bimbo Jenny McCarthy. She seriously thinks she’s so smart and knows everything but she’s such a total moron that even OS Ash would call her stupid. And that’s setting the bar really low. McCarthy thinks that filming some scenes with Charlie Sheen put her at risk for HIV. Google it and you’ll see how many more idiotic things this woman has said or done. I just don’t understand why people would listen to a moron that admitted to trying to have s3x with a tree and blaming drugs for the incident.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
It works on paper, but only on paper, mainly because there would be severe push back, even by people who support vaccinations. It'd hurt more than it would help, I think. Providing facts and figures is a more effective way of vaccinating the public rather than holding them down and shouting, "This is for your own good!" Don't get me wrong, I'm all for vaccinations, herd immunity, etc. but it can't come from government mandating.

That and anything that would happen to anti-vaxer kids (who got forced vaccinations) would be put on full blast by their parents. Kid ends up having epilepsy? "He never had epilepsy BEFORE being forcefully vaccinated!" Kid has a learning disability diagnosed later in life? Same song, second verse, same as the first. And you know there would be people who would listen to it. It's aggravating, but education and talking to them (not down to them) is better than turning them off something for life when it could save their kid's life/future. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as the saying goes.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The problem is that's exactly what we're doing right now, and it's just not working, and thanks to how spreading misinformation works it slowly is making the problem worse.

We're at a point where we can't make everyone happy, so we either get safer kids or making ignorant parents happy at the cost of letting disease spread. It's absolutely horrible we're at this point and I'm sure Alexander Fleming is rolling over in his grave, but you can only educate so much in this age where ignorance spreads super fast before other actions have to be taken too.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Why the hell would anyone say no to mandatory vaccinations?? Its stupid people that don't do that which cause unneeded illness to those who might not be able to fight it off. I'm scared or needles and hate them but I bear with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.