• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Manga FAQs/Dictionary/ Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Looking for confimation on the pronounciation of 'manga'. Ive heard it as mang-ga and mong-ga.

Well I found this funny little thing, and it's the way I pronounce manga. I think it's the right way:

anime-planet said:
There is the "true" and "real" pronunciation "mon-gah" Just pronounce man like how the Jamaicans pronounce it man (no pun intended).

7 tyranitars

hmm here we prenounce it usualy as maang-gaa

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Hi I haven't posted in here in a while but I have a question concerning Japanese manga, in particular, Weekly Shonen Jump. On what day is this released in Japan? I know it's usually once a week but on what day? And how much does it usually cost to purchase a copy, in Japan?

weirdamanda

What a drama llama.
Hi I haven't posted in here in a while but I have a question concerning Japanese manga, in particular, Weekly Shonen Jump. On what day is this released in Japan? I know it's usually once a week but on what day? And how much does it usually cost to purchase a copy, in Japan?

This is what I found:

Q: How much does it cost?
A: The price varies from 230 to 250 yen in Japan, depending on any extra content. Beacuse it's weekly, the price may also flucuate with market conditions. As of 2008, the average price of an issue is 240yen, including Japan's 5% tax.

Q: When is it released in Japan?
A: It is released every Monday in the Japanese market.

TehLulzMastur

I'm relatively new to manga. I've always been used to anime, but now that I've read some of PokeSpe, I'm hooked. My question is, how does manga get released? My guess that different chapters, or rounds as PokeSpe would refer to them, are released somewhere, I'm not sure where, and after a while groups of chapters are collected into volumes, much like trades for Western comic books. Is this true?

Butterfly

I'm relatively new to manga. I've always been used to anime, but now that I've read some of PokeSpe, I'm hooked. My question is, how does manga get released? My guess that different chapters, or rounds as PokeSpe would refer to them, are released somewhere, I'm not sure where, and after a while groups of chapters are collected into volumes, much like trades for Western comic books. Is this true?

the majority of them are released either weekly or monthly in chapter form in collections similar to our shonen jump, such as weekly shonen jump or monthly shonen gangan. then, usually either after the series ends, or once it's far along, sets of 8-10 chapters are collected and released in "tankobon" (small book) format, like the books you can buy. occasionally, a manga can be produced originally as tankobon, or in individual standalone chapters, but that's pretty rare.'

by the way, it's definitely pronounced "mahn-gah." that's the way it's spelled in japanese. まんが, マンガ, both of those are read the same way. if it was to be pronounced "Mayn-gah" it would be spelled "menga" or "メンガ." マ is "ma" which is always pronounced "mah." メ is "me" which is always pronounced "may."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.