• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

" Manga We Want To See Animated " Poll: Pokemon Special May Get Animated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Most pokemon manga series have dark themes. Theres no way ReBurst would ever see the light of day as an OVA (mooooostly because it was sort of a commercial flop BUT ALSO because it was super dark)
Hell they won't even show "kiss" between Satoshi and Serana.....so yeah i highly doubt they do most dark stuff like red in blood or yellow's broken arm during the fighting against Wataru anyway .

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Most pokemon manga series have dark themes. Theres no way ReBurst would ever see the light of day as an OVA (mooooostly because it was sort of a commercial flop BUT ALSO because it was super dark)
Yeah but the thing is most fans would describe Pokemon Adventures content in-general as accurately more mature than dark and edgy. A lot of the mature content could be adapted into the anime with no problems, honestly it'd be almost no different from adapting the games mature content to the anime only it's more quantity than quality. Just tone down the violence and remove the only Pokemon death and everything is alright.

Hell they won't even show "kiss" between Satoshi and Serana.....so yeah i highly doubt they do most dark stuff like red in blood or yellow's broken arm during the fighting against Wataru anyway .
I'm sorry but I just found your statement to be a bit funny. Most fans wouldn't consider a few minor cuts, bruises and a broken arm dark. By that logic, the Pokemon anime would also be considered dark as it also has this kind of content. Also Ash has gotten kissed by girls on-screen before. Serena kissing Ash wasn't a censored scene, that was a stylistic creative choice not to show it.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Just tone down the violence and remove the only Pokemon death and everything is alright.

I remember there being at least 2 deaths. Arbok and I thiiiink a Magmar if I'm remembering correctly. Also, what about the horror elements such as the zombies...? And that time Lorelei messed with Red? And the sexual stuff? And the language? There's a lot of mature content that needs to be removed

shoz999

I remember there being at least 2 deaths. Arbok and I thiiiink a Magmar if I'm remembering correctly. Also, what about the horror elements such as the zombies...? And that time Lorelei messed with Red? And the sexual stuff? And the language? There's a lot of mature content that needs to be removed
Arbok didn't die. Magmar was the only Pokemon to die in the entirety of Pokemon Adventures, that can be easily changed. Those weren't zombies. Those were illusions. Far more child-friendly then Let's Go's haunting take. I feel like I've explained this to you already before somewhere? Have I? Lorelei froze Red. Not that different from Ash turning to stone. You need to clarify what you mean by sexual. The only inappropriate sexual moment that I recall in the original arc was the ridiculous moment when Blue hid her Pokeballs in her chest area which was censored in the English releases. Other than that, Blue's deceiving cute girl act would be welcomed by the animation crew as eye-candy if you know the anime's history with changing female protagonists.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Arbok didn't die. Magmar was the only Pokemon to die in the entirety of Pokemon Adventures, that can be easily changed. Those weren't zombies. Those were illusions. Far more child-friendly then Let's Go's haunting take. I feel like I've explained this to you already before somewhere? Have I? Lorelei froze Red. Not that different from Ash turning to stone. You need to clarify what you mean by sexual. The only inappropriate sexual moment that I recall in the original arc was the ridiculous moment when Blue hid her Pokeballs in her chest area which was censored in the English releases. Other than that, Blue's deceiving cute girl act would be welcomed by the animation crew as eye-candy if you know the anime's history with changing female protagonists.

Thaaaaat's not how I remember it. From memory, Arbok was sliced in half and I don't remember them explaining it away. I remember Koga not actually being there (he was like, outside or something I think?), but that doesnt mean Arbok didn't die. The zombies were reanimated by Ghastly but I don't remember them ever using the word illusion. Blue is constantly sexualized including but not limited to the pokeboobies scene. It's mostly her language that's read as sexual in a sort of tongue-in-cheek way but there's no way it would fly these days.

shoz999

Thaaaaat's not how I remember it. From memory, Arbok was sliced in half and I don't remember them explaining it away. I remember Koga not actually being there (he was like, outside or something I think?), but that doesnt mean Arbok didn't die. The zombies were reanimated by Ghastly but I don't remember them ever using the word illusion. Blue is constantly sexualized including but not limited to the pokeboobies scene. It's mostly her language that's read as sexual in a sort of tongue-in-cheek way but there's no way it would fly these days.
1. Oh right. Okay so this was back when abilities weren't a thing. In the Yellow Chapter, when Koga is battling Agatha's Arbok, he surprises Green with his own Arbok that appears to be fine and healthy. It's revealed that Koga's Arbok has the ability to regenerate it's body as opposed to Agatha's unique Arbok who can change it's facial-chest patterns to confuse or intimidate prey. So yeah, Arbok is alive but you now understand why most fans believe that scene has to be changed right?
2. Had to re-check this one. You are correct. The Ghastly re-animated the zombies however I honestly can't see why The Pokemon Company would change this. It's nothing nightmarish and although the anime has never done the concept of zombies before, unless you count Parasect, Nintendo has done this in many of it's light-hearted content such as Mario and the Pokemon anime crew seem to be big fans of horror as long as it's tamed.
3. Your going to have to name some examples outside of the language. The language I definitely understand. If it's anything like the Pokemon anime, I'd imagine they'd tone it down and keep the jokes around that only the adults understand.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Oh right. Okay so this was back when abilities weren't a thing. In the Yellow Chapter, when Koga is battling Agatha's Arbok, he surprises Green with his own Arbok that appears to be fine and healthy. It's revealed that Koga's Arbok has the ability to regenerate it's body as opposed to Agatha's unique Arbok who can change it's facial-chest patterns to confuse or intimidate prey. So yeah, Arbok is alive but you now understand why most fans believe that scene has to be changed right?

I vaaaaaaaguely remember that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Had to re-check this one. You are correct. The Ghastly re-animated the zombies however I honestly can't see why The Pokemon Company would change this. It's nothing nightmarish and although the anime has never done the concept of zombies before, unless you count Parasect, Nintendo has done this in many of it's light-hearted content such as Mario and the Pokemon anime crew seem to be big fans of horror as long as it's tamed.

images

Ah yes.
images

How family friendly.

Not horrific for small kids at all.

Your going to have to name some examples outside of the language. The language I definitely understand. If it's anything like the Pokemon anime, I'd imagine they'd tone it down and keep the jokes around that only the adults understand.

I remember being uncomfortable with the way she was posed in a lot of panels with a lot of emphasis on her short dress and chest area. I was reading the Japanese version by this time though so it's possible they lengthened her dress for international releases.

shoz999

I vaaaaaaaguely remember that. Thanks for clearing that up.

images

Ah yes.
images

How family friendly.

Not horrific for small kids at all.

I remember being uncomfortable with the way she was posed in a lot of panels with a lot of emphasis on her short dress and chest area. I was reading the Japanese version by this time though so it's possible they lengthened her dress.
1. Still don't get it. Unsettling, Yup. Horrifying? Not really. Your going to have to actually explain this as your example doesn't really say much. If anything, kids will probably have an easier time watching these cartoonish zombies then Sabrina's creepy dollhouse. It wouldn't surprise me if this is one of the scenes the Pokemon animation crew really wants to animate given their track record on scary episodes. Thinking about it, this might potentially turn out to be one of the more memorable scary episodes for children if a Pokemon Adventures anime were to ever happen.
2. Okay but I believe what your saying doesn't really sound like an issue for the animation department, especially considering the more inappropriate shots with Dawn that made it into the English release.

Last edited:

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Still don't get it. Unsettling, Yup. Horrifying? Not really. Your going to have to actually explain this as your example doesn't really say much. If anything, kids will probably have an easier time watching these cartoonish zombies then Sabrina's creepy dollhouse.

Oh jeez where to start with this... Ok first, anything from before Johto (maybe even Hoenn honestly) is no longer brand-relevant. Not to mention... Calling that episode unsettling is a bit of a stretch let alone creepy. If you feel comfortable showing ~4 year old children some Junji Ito-esque gore, that's kinda messed up.

Okay but I believe what your saying doesn't really sound like an issue for the animation department, especially considering the more inappropriate shots with Dawn that made it into the English release.

I'm not aware of these Dawn scenes...? Do you have pics or videos?

shoz999

Oh jeez where to start with this... Ok first, anything from before Johto (maybe even Hoenn honestly) is no longer brand-relevant. Not to mention... Calling that episode unsettling is a bit of a stretch let alone creepy. If you feel comfortable showing ~4 year old children some Junji Ito-esque gore, that's kinda messed up.

I'm not aware of these Dawn scenes...? Do you have pics or videos?
1. Okay, so since Hoenn doesn't count what about the episode featuring that ghost-like evil spirit that tried to sent Conway to his death during Gen 4. Or perhaps the time in Gen 5 when the litwicks were slowly draining Jessie, James and Meowth's lifeforce that they looked like walking corpses. You see where I'm getting at with this? The anime crew has fun with these creepy type of episodes. It's creepy but it's not horrifying. Children will feel a shiver down their spine but will still enjoy such episodes because their meant to be scary! I'm making a guess here but it seems by your temporary mindset, you seem to think any scary-themed episode made by the anime crew is considered "unsafe" for kids. Again, I am not understanding your logic here. Also who says that anything before Johto or Hoenn is not brand-relevant anymore? If anything GameFreak upped the horror factor in the Let's Go remakes during the Pokemon Tower. What is the problem here? Nothing. That's what I'm getting from your explanations. There's nothing wrong here.

2. Just look it up. Their quick-shots of showing what's underneath Dawn's skirt which is in my opinion far more uncomfortable then Blue's depiction in the Adventures manga. By your descriptions previously, I assume if an Adventures anime adaptation ever happens, it will happen similarly in hard-to-notice subtle detail.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Okay, so since Hoenn doesn't count what about the episode featuring that ghost-like evil spirit that tried to sent Conway to his death during Gen 4. Or perhaps the time in Gen 5 when the litwicks were slowly draining Jessie, James and Meowth's lifeforce that they looked like walking corpses. You see where I'm getting at with this? The anime crew has fun with these creepy type of episodes. It's creepy but it's not horrifying. Children will feel a shiver down their spine but will still enjoy such episodes because their meant to be scary! I'm making a guess here but it seems by your temporary mindset, you seem to think any scary-themed episode made by the anime crew is considered "unsafe" for kids. Again, I am not understanding your logic here. Also who says that anything before Johto or Hoenn is not brand-relevant anymore? If anything GameFreak upped the horror factor in the Let's Go remakes during the Pokemon Tower. What is the problem here? Nothing. That's what I'm getting from your explanations. There's nothing wrong here.

Theres a HUGE difference between cartoony shriveled up Team Rocket and graphic exposed twisted bones, sinew, and a melting eyeball hanging from its empty socket drawn in intense detail. That's definitely not kid friendly, dude.

I dunno why you keep bringing up LGPE's PokeTower either...? Like a cartoony purple ghost with glowing eyes is also nothing.

The Kanto anime arc was literally made 20 years ago for a Japanese audience back when the rules were fast and loose. The brand and real world audience has changed SIGNIFICANTLY since then. No one is getting away with that stuff in cartoons both in and out of Japan anymore.

Just look it up. Their quick-shots of showing what's underneath Dawn's skirt which is in my opinion far more uncomfortable then Blue's depiction in the Adventures manga. By your descriptions previously, I assume if an Adventures anime adaptation ever happens, it will happen similarly in hard-to-notice subtle detail.

I tried googling and all I could find were screengrabs of her bike shorts and clearly edited pictures to show some panties...? Is that what you're referring to...?

shoz999

Theres a HUGE difference between cartoony shriveled up Team Rocket and graphic exposed twisted bones, sinew, and a melting eyeball hanging from its empty socket drawn in intense detail. That's definitely not kid friendly, dude.

I dunno why you keep bringing up LGPE's PokeTower either...? Like a cartoony purple ghost with glowing eyes is also nothing.

The Kanto anime arc was literally made 20 years ago for a Japanese audience back when the rules were fast and loose. The brand and real world audience has changed SIGNIFICANTLY since then. No one is getting away with that stuff in cartoons both in and out of Japan anymore.

I tried googling and all I could find were screengrabs of her bike shorts and clearly edited pictures to show some panties...? Is that what you're referring to...?
1. You mean the part where he melts into a zombie. Still far from graphic and is still cartoony, nothing scarring for children but I finally get what your saying now. It's still safe for children to watch but parents might be alarmed. Just remove that scene, have Red do a close-up shot to reveal it's a zombie similar to the camera horror scene with Pikachu and Mimikyu from Sun and Moon. Problem solved.
2. Nope. The "20 years ago for a Japanese audience" reasoning just does not work for the simple fact that that the Pokemon anime was also developed with the western audience in mind. I can't remember his name but he knew Pokemon was going to be big and so he took careful consideration of the western audiences which also lead to the controversial decision to change from Brock to Tracey. The other reason why that reasoning doesn't work is that they've continued much of the disturbing horror content after Gen 1.
3. Don't really remember the episode but it's when she finds herself in the sky, I think thrown from an explosion near a river.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
You mean the part where he melts into a zombie. Still far from graphic and is still cartoony, nothing scarring for children but I finally get what your saying now. It's still safe for children to watch but parents might be alarmed. Just remove that scene, have Red do a close-up shot to reveal it's a zombie similar to the camera horror scene with Pikachu and Mimikyu from Sun and Moon. Problem solved.

Yep... That's what I was saying. It needs censoring or editing XD

Nope. The "20 years ago for a Japanese audience" reasoning just does not work for the simple fact that that the Pokemon anime was also developed with the western audience in mind. I can't remember his name but he knew Pokemon was going to be big and so he took careful consideration of the western audiences which also lead to the controversial decision to change from Brock to Tracey. The other reason why that reasoning doesn't work is that they've continued much of the disturbing horror content after Gen 1.

Thaaaaat is 100% not true. Yes, they did start considering the western audience and trading out Brock was part of that effort, but when the anime was first made the western audience was not taken into consideration. The branding has objectively changed since the late 90s.

Don't really remember the episode but it's when she finds herself in the sky, I think thrown from an explosion near a river.

Yes, I saw that screenshot. Those, my guy, are black bike shorts. Girls wear them under skirts for modesty.

shoz999

Yep... That's what I was saying. It needs censoring or editing XD

Thaaaaat is 100% not true. Yes, they did start considering the western audience and trading out Brock was part of that effort, but when the anime was first made the western audience was not taken into consideration. The branding has objectively changed since the late 90s.

Yes, I saw that screenshot. Those, my guy, are black bike shorts. Girls wear them under skirts for modesty.
I guess that settles that. Although if it were my guess on how the Pokemon zombie scene would be done, I'd imagine the anime crew would just love to expand upon it even further considering not only their love for scary-themed episodes in every series but the fact that GameFreak themselves loves that kind of stuff, having a creepy-themed event or location in every Pokemon game.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I guess that settles that. Although if it were my guess on how the Pokemon zombie scene would be done, I'd imagine the anime crew would just love to expand upon it even further considering not only their love for scary-themed episodes in every series but the fact that GameFreak themselves loves that kind of stuff, having a creepy-themed event or location in every Pokemon game.

They'd have to heavily edit it and downplay the gore.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
He mean there must be no blood or something like that in anime version of that scene from rgb arcs .

shoz999

There are literally twisted bones sticking out of melting flesh...
Okay see that's actually inaccurate. That is literally not gore. I think your confusing gore with disturbing imagery. See when I mentioned organs as being a concern for parents, I meant disturbing imagery. I have seen this type of content far more twisted in cartoons like Spongebob or Adventure Time and children are fine with this kind of content usually saying, "EWWW!" and continue watching but parents might not be. Gore on the other hand is excessive blood usually caused by violence. And something like in Lord of the Rings where a Knight cuts someone's head off and blood comes spewing out, that would only be considered slightly gore, not even regular gore. You might think flesh and blood are the same but it's not at least in the perception of it in entertainment. Something like "meat" or organs would not be considered gore. Blood which just oozes out excessively would be consider gore. You see why I didn't quite understand what you were trying to say and why children actually have no problem watching such content?

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Okay see that's actually inaccurate. That is literally not gore. I think your confusing gore with disturbing imagery. See when I mentioned organs as being a concern for parents, I meant disturbing imagery.

I'm not...? Gore is an umbrella term for exposed innards, excessive blood, graphic wounds, etc. Blood and gore are usually categorized as two different things when talking about entertainment.

I have seen this type of content far more twisted in cartoons like Spongebob or Adventure Time and children are fine with this kind of content usually saying, "EWWW!" and continue watching but parents might not be.

Where??? Ain't no kids shows showing melting eyes, broken bones poking through flesh, or exposed sinew.

And something like in Lord of the Rings where a Knight cuts someone's head off and blood comes spewing out, that would only be considered slightly gore, not even regular gore. You might think flesh and blood are the same but it's not at least in the perception of it in entertainment. Something like "meat" or organs would not be considered gore. Blood which just oozes out excessively would be consider gore.

Oh God where to start with this... while I agree that the decapitation in Lord of the Rings is not gore (from what I remember you don't see much of anything), the movie is still rated M here and is inappropriate for children. I don't really remember the scene but I don't remember much blood. Personally I wouldn't put my kid through it more because it's a snoozefest than because it has a bit of blood in it. As mentioned above, organs and meat are indeed gore.

Status
Not open for further replies.