• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March 17th: SM113 - A New Show?! The Tiny Melody of Koiking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC317

I dunno, SM has been decent with that so far. The only evolved mons that are really that bland are the ones that didn't have much personality in their unevolved forms anyway. Torracat, Lycanroc, Marowak? All some of the best characters in the group. The only one I'm unsure about is Vikavolt, who hasn't really appeared much since it evolved (though Charjabug was inexpressive anyway, just to the humorous degree that it worked as an actual personality).

Hopefully should Nagisa evolve it won't get the Sylveon treatment.

Not sure about Marowak since it never appeared as a Cubone, but Torracat and Lycanroc do have plenty of personality before and after evolution.

On the other hand, those two belong to Ash and thus by default have more time to shine.

DatsRight

Not sure about Marowak since it never appeared as a Cubone, but Torracat and Lycanroc do have plenty of personality before and after evolution.

On the other hand, those two belong to Ash and thus by default have more time to shine.

Well a lot of Ash's evolved Pokemon lost their personality after evolving prior to SM so it's still noteworthy. I struggle to remember many times Greninja was the comically serious or interacted with his team mates like he did as Froakie and he was a BIG part of XYZ.

JC317

Well a lot of Ash's evolved Pokemon lost their personality after evolving prior to SM so it's still noteworthy. I struggle to remember any times Greninja was the comically serious or interacted with his team mates like he did as Froakie.

You know, I was hoping this discussion with you wouldn't devolve into another unnecessary jab at XY. I guess I should have known better...

...but anyway, this series we have a lot, like A LOT, more downtime with Ash, so we naturally have more casual moments which can showcase each of Ash's Pokemon interacting with each other and with Ash.

Unfortunately, those moments are really restricted to Ash only, so the other Pokegirls don't get such an opportunity

DatsRight

You know, I was hoping this discussion with you wouldn't devolve into another unnecessary jab at XY. I guess I should have known better...

Sorry but XY was the most recent series so my memory isn't as good with the others. I'm pretty sure we had many bland evolved mon in previous ones as well though.

Kiawe and Sophocles' groups have had decent interaction time as well though that was probably helped by getting their secondaries MUCH earlier than the girls. Still it's hard not to think in any previous series Turtonator would have been the equivalent of Onix or Luxray; as in the third wheel powerhouse that we rarely see do anything.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

...but anyway, this series we have a lot, like A LOT, more downtime with Ash, so we naturally have more casual moments which can showcase each of Ash's Pokemon interacting with each other and with Ash.

Unfortunately, those moments are really restricted to Ash only, so the other Pokegirls don't get such an opportunity
Oh, let's see, there's Unfezant in Unova, Glalie and Swellow in Hoenn, Donphan in Battle Frontier, Pidgeot in Kanto.

TheWanderingMist

See, now that's better, equal jabs at all past series
I may have watched most of the series over the past few months. And I forgot to add Staraptor, and Torterra after Volkner's Gym.

DatsRight

The trick there however is that most of the regional birds didn't have much personality to begin with anyway. It was arguably a tragic benefit for XY since they bothered to give Fletchling a feisty personality only to lose it after evolving.

This was probably the reason they waited until the eleventh hour to fully evolve May's Blaziken as well, since they likely thought they could better keep a balance of badass but still doing quirky stuff with Combusken.

ShadowForce720

Oh, let's see, there's Unfezant in Unova, Glalie and Swellow in Hoenn, Donphan in Battle Frontier, Pidgeot in Kanto.

Actually Donphan had a clear personality or did you forget that it was the one to cause a bunch of Ryhorn to start chasing it because they thought was bullying their babies when it was only trying to play with them.

TheWanderingMist

Actually Donphan had a clear personality or did you forget that it was the one to cause a bunch of Ryhorn to start chasing it because they thought was bullying their babies when it was only trying to play with them.
Still lost a lot of the personality it had as Phanpy.

DatsRight

One SM aversion may be Charizard, Kiawe's doesn't really have much of a character, while Ash's managed to maintain something of a personality, if one not very consistent with its original one. I mean we didn't really see Kiawe's as a Charmander but still, it's the one non-colourful powerhouse in his team.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
It’s less of the Pokèmon “losing its personality” and more of it showing up less for non battle situations where as you’re more likely to see an unevolved Pokèmon actually out and expressing itself without its strength being a factor.

Glad I was write about the reasoning for Magikarp being uncomfortable. Sadly it still seems like a boring filler. Was hoping it would grab my interest

DatsRight

It’s less of the Pokèmon “losing its personality” and more of it showing up less for non battle situations where as you’re more likely to see an unevolved Pokèmon actually out and expressing itself without its strength being a factor.

Glad I was write about the reasoning for Magikarp being uncomfortable. Sadly it still seems like a boring filler. Was hoping it would grab my interest

I believe the creators admitted this was why Axew never evolved. Animating its evolved counterparts' more complicated designs all the time would have been a more finicky process, so the choice would have been either to keep it unevolved or demote it into its ball most of the time, thus succumbing to the same personality loss.

I suppose SM's more streamlined art style has allowed more flexibility in that regard, since there's less emphasis on getting every last detail about a character perfect this series and more just looking fun animated.

p96822

Evolve me please
Lycanroc and Torracat are not that interesting because the writers don't give them a focus episode on their characters then more focusing on their moves and Z moves. Plus I think that the writers only gives smaller Pokemon personallity because they have a lot more to work with and more of the cute angle of marketing to little kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.